A Tender Kiss Could End A War...

By BeautyScriven

{NOVEL PREVIOUSLY NAMED: "PALE EYES"} 𑁍Julius Cadwell is a pauper from an impoverished village, Porlock of S... More

Author's Note/Cast List
Playlist ♪
Prologue
||One||-›The Arrival
||Two||-›Blind Boy?
||Four||-›Le stratagème
||Five||-›Footman
||Six||-›Gulliver's Travels
||Seven||-›Drudgery
||Eight||-›Réfléchir
||Nine||-›Truce?
||Ten||-›Duke
||Eleven||-›Reuben (I)
||Twelve||-› Reuben(II)1⁄2
||Thirteen||-› Reuben(II)2⁄2
||Fourteen||-›Opium Den/Debauchery
||Fifteen||-›Miracles and Medallions
||Sixteen||-›Enlightenment
||Seventeen||-›A Privy Place
||Eighteenꨄ︎||-›Apple Seed
||Nineteen||-›Elizabeth
||Twenty||-› Reacquainted
||Twenty One||-›Clement Chapman
||Twenty Twoꨄ︎||-›Reverie
||Twenty Three||-›Soirée
||Twenty Four||-› Hugh Greenwood
||Twenty Five||-›L'arrivée
||Twenty Six||-› Grand Ball
||Twenty Seven||-›Indulging In Desires
||Twenty Eight||-›Lovers' Kiss(Divine)
||Twenty Nine||-›Sogno Ad Occhi Aperti
||Thirty||-›Presage
||Thirty Oneꨄ︎||-›Sub Rosa
||Thirty Two||-›The Perished Lady
||Thirty Three||-›Departure
||Thirty Four||-›Revertitur
||Thirty Five||-›Bazaar
||Thirty Six||-›Supplication
||Thirty Seven||-›Julius Cadwell
A Tender Kiss Could End A War
||Thirty Eightꨄ︎||-›Ache
||Thirty Nine||-›Typhus
||Fourty||-›Remiss
||Fourty One||-›Adorior

||Three||-›The Brute

751 72 63
By BeautyScriven

QOTD; Which story genre do you love the most? (I love tragedy and horror.. don't hate me lol).
_

I am just a whip and a spur that smites
To fierce endeavour

Andrew Barton Paterson.

Not all pests can be eradicated.....

☘︎Day Two At The Griffith Household☘︎

Worker's Quarterꨄ︎

“One and all, may you please welcome Mr Julius Cadwell!”

Marian Dankworth carried on a self-made tradition of assembling the batch a new worker was to be assigned to and got him or her familiarized with them. There are seven batches of workers in the Griffith Household, each batch had eight members. Julius was now a member of batch four. People in groupings did not necessarily have the same or similar assignments but were grouped based on the section of the manor they mostly carried out their duties.

“Welcome, Julius!” jaunty voices rang in unison.

“Such a handsome devil!”

“Yes, at last someone to help out at the stable!”

“Ungrateful! I always help you out,” one of them protested in reply.

“Shush! That's enough from all of you,” demanded the head maid, quieting them down. “I presume you must have met some of your workmates yesterday, but this is just my little custom.”

That could not be further from the truth. After yesterday's ordeal, Julius could not put any facial characteristics to anyone he saw after he had been escorted to the extensive multi-windowed accommodation. He had simply walked into the men's dormitory at the right section of the quarter to sleep after he had been directed to it by a spindly set man, though he now wasn't sure how authentic the memory was.

“No, madame Marian, he just fell into slumber yestereve and paid no heed to anyone,” a bearded sturdy man clarified, igniting laughter from the others.

Julius had felt quite awful last night, but the buoyant mood assured a positive change.

Madame Marian shook her head at the friendly pestering. There was a faint smile on her lips when she rose a gentle hand onto Julius's shoulder. “I will later inform you of your assigned duties, but do not fret, there are only a few and you'd have others to assist.”

“Yes, ma'am.”

“I will be with you all shortly, at present I have a few affairs to attend to,” informed the head maid, excusing herself.

Shortly after her departure, Mr Cadwell was surrounded and barraged with questions.

“Which village are you from?” one busty raven-haired lady asked with sparkling eyes.

“Madame Marian seems fond of you, do you know her personally?” came another.

And just like that, questions upon question were thrown his way, leaving him overwhelmed. He however managed to answer most of them till everyone was satisfied enough to let him be.

A maid named Rebekah decided to approach Julius when he was now seated alone and munching on an apple. Julius usually appreciated the company of others, but at the moment, he simply wanted to eat his apple in peace. There was surely more time for socializing.

“Hello there, I am Miss Rebekah Smith. My apologies on their behalf,” the kitchen maid tilted her head towards the group of men and women huddled about the dining bench. “They get quite exuberant whenever someone new comes along.” Her words and her puckish tone caught his attention.

“It doesn't bother me, I liked the attention,” he smiled, earning a matey grin from her in return.

Anyone could notice Rebekah's beauty and Julius wasn't an exception. Her light brown skin was luminescent and her dimpled smile enticing.

“Ah! I see you are conversing with the man whom I had to carry his heavy trunk all the way from the main entrance to the quarter,” the young man Julius had seen yesterday remarked, clasping his hand behind Rebekah's shoulders, then gripping it firmly as he stood behind her. His action almost possessive.

“Get off of me Fergus!” she flinched and shrugged away from his touch.

“Oh, so I see you are also swooning over trunk boy.”

“Trunk boy?” Julius asked, wondering if he should take offence at the nickname.

“Was he the one you were yapping about yesterday afternoon?”

“Yes, yes he was.”

“Not to intervene, but why am I being referred to as trunk boy?”

“Well fellow, it is because I fractured my back carrying your trunk yesterday,” Ferguson pouted, dramatically rubbing his lower back.

“Oh, Fergus, please just shut it,” Rebekah teased, and Julius could not help but chuckle softly at their banter.

❦︎

☘︎The Next Day☘︎

“Julius!” Ferguson Sawyer jogged towards Julius, who was asleep under an oak tree with his tweed cap over his face. The brushing of horses' mane, as well as the back and forth of fetching buckets of water and carrying heavy heaps of hay at the stable, had left Julius rather fatigued.

“Yes ...,” Julius slurred when he was awoken, sloppily wiping the drool wetting the sides of his pink lips.

“We are needed at the manor.”

“Needed, what for?”

“To carry the new chaise lounge the woodworker brought into the manor. In truth, I am the one needed, but since you strained my back with your trunk, I believe it is only just for you to come assist,” the red-haired young man's grin was one of a playful taunt, which Julius decided not to counter because he was relatively new here. Ferguson should just wait till it was Julius's turn to tease, which he was convinced would be shortly.

“You truly are something else,” Julius muttered instead.

Walking into the manor with Ferguson, Julius was evidently tensed up, as if something was weighing him down and it had nothing to do with the chaise lounge they were carrying.

“Why do you look as though something horrendous happened?” Ferguson questioned. “Ah⏤it must have to do with lady Adelaide, doesn't it? She's just malicious, it can't be helped.”

“Let us make haste with what we need to do and leave,” Julius pressed, wanting to exit the main manor as soon as he could.

As they neared the music room; where they were to place the new chaise lounge, they heard the tune of the harp playing.

Julius caught sight of the youngest daughter of the Griffith household playing the harp. To her side stood a young lady who looked about the tender age of eighteen or younger, and whose long tresses were as bright as the fierce shade of fire. The red of her hair was richer than that of Ferguson Sawyer.

Julius did not remember lady Alice's name, to be honest, the happenings three days prior were mostly a blur. The only occurrence he remembered in exceeding vividity was the latter part of that dreadful day.

Julius hoped lady Alice wouldn't notice him, he doubted she'd care if she did, however, he still did not want to take any chances. The quicker they were done, the earlier he could leave this grievous building. But of course, the world wasn't on his side, the young lady stopped playing the harp as soon as she heard the thud of the chaise being placed down.

An ebullient grin grew on Alice's little face at the sight of Julius.

“Why, Mr Cadwell!”

She now knew his name and yet he did not even remember hers. Another thing to add to his suffering.

“Alice, do you know this man?”

“I called his name, so I must know him.”

“Aren't you not supposed to be so non-formal with your servants?” inquired her red-haired friend, but not to offend. It was greatly frowned upon for noble children to mingle with their servants, let alone a lady and a man.

“This isn't the Baudelaire household, at the Griffith household we ensure there is humane treatment to everyone, including our servants,” Alice huffed, smiling at her pale friend named Gwenllian.

“The Duke surely must not be aware of such arrangements, we both know how severe and traditional your father is.”

“My father will only be returning in many weeks from now, I wouldn't worry about him,” lady Alice brushed off, her attention back on young Mr Cadwell. “Julius, do join us, see me play!” added the blonde, eagerly holding onto his forearm. Julius, Ferguson and the other lady present all let out soft gasps at the display. Alice's actions being scandalous.

“I beg your pardon?!” uttered Julius in both disbelief and discomfort. “Not to refuse you my lady, but I do not think that's the best design.”

“Yes, I agree, and besides, lady Alice, you have known me much longer than you have known him, do I not deserve an invitation?” Ferguson blurted, but he of course went ignored.

“I insist, do join,” she tugged at his forearm and pulled him with her towards the harp. Lady Alice would have been mightly castigated if the adults were around to see her.

“What of me?!” cried Ferguson.

“You may return to your duties,” At that, Ferguson scoffed under his breath and walked away.

Julius was forced to watch her play.

Lady Alice gracefully used the tip of her thumb and first three fingers against the strings of the harp. She was far from perfect, but playing a shortened version of divertimento k. 334 minuet was quite difficult to play. However, she was not terrible in any way.

“Beautiful, my lady,” Julius found himself applauding after lady Alice had played, genuinely impressed.

“Quite exquisite!” Gwenllian agreed enthusiastically.

“Thank you, thank you,” lady Alice beamed, making a brief curtsy.

“Now that you have played, can I speak to Reuben?” Gwenllian hesitantly began.

Reuben's name ignited an unpleasant churn in Julius's belly. He wished to leave before the spoilt brat could make an appearance.

“You speak as though I have hidden him from you, when in fact, all I have done is have our footman, Morris, beckon him over multiple times, but my brother still refuses to show.”

“Why is your brother as stubborn as a mule?” spoke the French lady slowly, sadly twirling a red lock of her hair with her pointing finger.

“That, my dear friend will forever remain a mystery.”

“When will he notice my endeavour,” murmured Gwenllian to herself, letting out a yearning sigh.

“Truthfully, Gwenllian, I am afraid I quite do not even know why you fancy him so, when he is such a ...such a .... ”

"Brute," Julius grumbled under his breath.

The room fell silent. They had heard him.

“The word I was looking for was terror, but brute is greatly befitting,” lady Alice shook with laughter, and lady Gwenllian wasn't any better.

Julius grew scarlet with embarrassment and confusion. “Was this how they reacted before they'd send a person away to be beheaded?!” thought Julius.

“You are quite piquant, I adore that,” informed lady Alice with a giggle.

“Splendid humour,” Gwenllian added.

Their chatter was interrupted by the melody of the piano playing.

Their heads jerked towards the sound, spotting Reuben who was now seated on a piano bench perched at the far end of the music chamber, playing a soft arrangement on the modern Bosendorfer upright piano. The young lord was donned in a dark mulberry tailcoat paired with tawny pantaloon, a silver horse tipped cane tilted at his side.

How hadn't they heard anything upon his entrance? That was the wonder at the moment, but a wonder that did not last long, since they were soon entranced by his beautiful melancholic tune.

Gwenllian walked to him, seeming almost hypnotized.

“Her fascination with my brother baffles me greatly, why fall for someone like him? I do love my brother, I truly do, but even I know how haughty and a difficult man he is,” Alice confessed to Julius who watched Gwenllian; her hand was interlocked in front of her, idolizing Reuben.

Julius hardly paid attention to lady Alice's words, all he could do was stare at the young man who played brilliantly. It was such an unfortunate shame that the young lord was of such beastly behaviour.

"Bravo, c'était incroyable." Gwenllian applauded fervently when he struck the last key.

Reuben ignored her praises as he usually did. Getting off the piano bench, he sauntered towards his sister lady Alice, and the newly assigned worker, Julius Cadwell. Reuben was a skilful master with the cane. If one did not know of his disability, they'd believe his eyesight was perfectly fine.

Julius stiffened as he approached. Though a mere glimpse of the young master was vexing, he was still Julius's master, and that in itself was intimidating. The scowl etched onto Reuben's face didn't better things.

“He was chucklesome at best, there is nothing piquant about him,” came the low growl from Reuben to Alice, his lip curled in disdain.

Both lady Alice and Julius were confused by the words, but soon enough, Julius understood the implication.

“Did the young lord overhear what I had blurted earlier?!” thought Julius miserably.

Reuben walked past Julius, making his way out of the music chamber. Julius grew rigid as he passed. He glanced at the young lord from the corner of his eye, sighting the dark curl that framed Reuben's pretty face.

Reuben whispered loud enough for Julius to hear as he passed by.

"You think I am a brute now, you just wait till I reveal how much of a brute I can really be."

☘︎☘︎☘︎☘︎

The next chapter is going to be centred around Reuben!!

What do you think regarding Julius and Reuben's Relationship so far?.

Please vote and comment❣️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 68.2K 25
Honestly, this book is my very first bxb book so it sucks. I suggest yall read my 2nd or 3rd one instead of the same series which are much more well...
66.5K 1.9K 45
(Silently Drowning Series - Book Two) Maybe that's it. We eventually go numb; because you can't break a heart that's already broken. Maxwell Augustu...
2.4M 93.4K 32
NEW VERSION IS PUBLISHED "He squints his eyes at me with an intense glare that makes me squirm. I don't know if it's the intense pain in my shoulder...
254K 13.1K 83
Emmet and Clay did not meet on the best of terms, but that doesn't stop them from becoming fast friends. As their bond grows stronger, they will do w...