Vivid (BoyxBoy) {Pipe Dream:...

By MonochromeBlue

Ever since an event known as the Disaster, monsters and mayhem rule the world. There are those lucky enough t... More

Chapter One: Karma's a Bitch
Chapter Two: Monkey's Paw
Chapter Three: Sweet Dreams
Chapter Four: Hexed
Chapter Five: Whine and Dine
Chapter Seven: Flawed
Chapter Eight: Everlasting Light
Chapter Nine: Insanities
Chapter Ten: Torrid Skies
Chapter Eleven: Wished Denial
Chapter Twelve: Abandoned Wonderland
Chapter Thirteen: Finding Heaven
Chapter Fourteen: Numb Delirium
Chapter Fifteen: Spiralling Void
Chapter Sixteen: Call me a Liar
Chapter Seventeen: Fragmented Dreamscape
Chapter Eighteen: Hello Kitty
Chapter Nineteen: Deal
Chapter Twenty: Rupture Reality
Chapter Twenty-One: Kite Flying
Chapter Twenty-Two: Bolin
Chapter Twenty-Three: Simon Says 'Jump'
Chapter Twenty-Four: Cats in Elevators
Chapter Twenty-Five: First Job
Chapter Twenty-Six: City Sights
Chapter Twenty-Seven: In the Dark
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Banshee
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Bloody Mary
Chapter Thirty: Broken Reflections
Chapter Thirty-One: Save the Last Dance
Chapter Thirty-Two: Tiger Pillow
Chapter Thirty-Three: Not Quite Human
Chapter Thirty-Four: Grim Reaper
Chapter Thirty-Five: Safe.
Chapter Thirty-Six: Threads
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Glacial Bear
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Illusionary Monsters
Chapter-Thirty Nine: Pool-side
Chapter Forty: Dinner Date
Chapter Forty-One: Being Patient is Annoying
Chapter Forty-Two: Treehouses in Switzerland
Chapter Forty-Three: Whispers in the Snow
Chapter Forty-Four: Bickering Siblings
Chapter Forty-Five: Gonna Need a Bigger Boat
Chapter Forty-Six: Tag, You're It
Epilogue: XXI

Chapter Six: Tyrannical Terrorism

47.9K 2.5K 1.2K
By MonochromeBlue

Chapter Six: Tyrannical Terrorism

 Wait. Did she say ‘military’? What would the military be doing outside the Fence limits?

I quickly make my way through the alley, revealing the dead city on the other side. I have never really looked at or pondered on what has been left abandoned by those who made it into the defences of the Fence itself. It’s all just rubble and dust. Echoes of a past that no one can relive. At least, not on this side of the Fence, anyway.

I almost lose my footing as some of the dust and rubble shifts under my feet. Just as I went down, a hand caught my arm.

“Should you be out here with that leg?” Jack’s voice comes from behind me, making me jump.

“I’m fine.”

“Of course you are.”

I roll my eyes and pull from him as fast as I possibly could. Do not need him invading my personal space any more than necessary, thank you.

“We’re not far. Should I carry you, princess?”

I grind my teeth and march away, not caring about the pain shooting through my ankle.

But all thoughts scattered to the breeze that suddenly picks up as we come closer to the towering monstrosity that is the Fence. It was big far away but up close it’s something else. It towers above you, making you feel microscopic while having to crane you neck and squint, just to see the top in the far distance. That it was intimidating normally, began to make me wonder at the ring of military below. Like a black horde, a mass of soldiers, tanks, trucks and parked helicopters all faced out, standing as vigil sentries, with most heavily defending the tightly shut great white steel gates that were a third of the height of the wall.

Cody grabs my jacket, pulling me into a nearby collapsed building just in time as an armoured truck rolls passed. We watch as the soldiers all dressed in black gear and technological masks that probably gave them everything from night vision to filtrating toxic air. …I wonder if they could even piss in them…

 “What’s going on?” Cody asks.

Jack puts a finger to his lips just in time for another patrol car to go passed. “We can’t talk here.”

I frown, watching the soldiers all on high alert. A sinking feeling pulls at my gut and I force myself from the wall. We shouldn’t even be in a four hundred mile radius of this place in the first place. My gaze switches over to a group talking amongst themselves and pointing in our direction.

“Gotta move,” I mutter, pulling on Cody and we all quickly get out and go back.

After some time, Jack opens his mouth, “Their movements have increased threefold in the last two days alone,” he states. “We’ve tracked their patrols for days now, in the beginning they only went a few blocks around the wall but their reach is extending further with each day. It won’t be long before their patrols include Deadside.”

We all knew what that meant. That little community would be annihilated without thought or question.

“Can’t you evacuate them?” I ask while Cody is helping me get up a sudden steep step.

“…It is their decision to stay or leave. But it does present an opportunity.”

My glare fixes on Jack. Just what is he planning? This kind of preparation can only mean one thing and I do not want to get mixed up in all of this. We need to move and preferable by tonight. The farm house isn’t secure enough for something of that magnitude. We need to move on.

“Opportunity?” Cody stares at Jack with intrigue.

Of course the bastard is hooked.

“Not here,” Jack looks over his shoulder, probably to get another look at the wall.

The very last of the sunset left by the time we made it back to the bonfire and more of Jack’s men had gathered. We shared a huge meal of soup with chunks of beef and vegetables that I slurped down like it was liquid chocolate.

Yvette had ensnared Markus’s heart and he was eating like there was no tomorrow which was a good sign, considering. Anne ate little, just continually staring out into space as with more people it was getting harder to keep to herself. I sat next to her as close as I could to try and help her keep a sort of tether on her mental wonderings.

On my third bowl of soul and bread, I notice Cody’s talking to Jack in some corner and get to my feet. Placing the bowl down on the bench, I tap Anne’s shoulder, indicating her to eat it for me.

Coming in closer, I began hearing parts of their conversation.

“…not too far from here,” Cody frowns as he talks.

“Their movements are at best sporadic. No one on the inside of the Fence here knows much about them.” So Jack has insiders of the Fence of this particular city. Guess it made sense, how else did he have all this information on everything.

“I thought that the Suppressors had a foothold in all cities.”

“…No. They don’t have much to do with this place.”

So they’re talking about Suppressors.

“Ah Oddball, here I was thinking that you were completely distracted between your sister and the food.”

“Shut it, terrorist,” I pull myself up next to Cody.

“Oh, I’m wounded by your words.”

“Play nice,” Cody warns me.

“I will, when he does,” I mutter back.

“So I saw your sister carrying a rather interesting object all wrapped up like a Christmas present,” Jack switches topics. Cody had demanded that I take the damn blade with me, instead of leaving it a safe spot in the farmhouse like I had wanted. Anne agreed with him, to the extent that she even carried it and refused to give it to me. Probably because she knew I’d try and leave it behind. I’m always at a disadvantage with her and her Jedi mind tricks.

“I stole it from one of them. I thought you might need the proof.”

“I wouldn’t doubt your words, Cody. But rather, are you going to pawn it off? With that any one of my clients –inside the Fence and out- would pay dearly for it. Suppressors are like legends in this city and most of the higher-up love mantle pieces. And anyone out here would love a weapon that can cut through steel like paper.”

Cody frowns, “I gave it to Kae.”

Jack just chuckles, “He looks like he needs it more than any of us. Don’t you, Oddball.”

Strike one. Third strike and I’m finding a brick to peg at his head.

Cody let’s a small smile cross his face but removes it when my head snaps over to him.

“But this information alone is valuable enough. They have tracked a Miasmic Beast out here. That is highly unusual. Last time I checked, none of the storms are severe enough to call them and there are no Keystones either.”

Both of us frown at that.

“Something else you’re willing to share?”

“…We were attacked by a Hexer a few weeks ago.”

Jack’s eyebrows shot up, “Now that is troubling.”

“And it talked.”

Jack was silent before opening his mouth, “What did it say?”

“He said that Kae smelt good.”

The silence settles again as Jack takes a swig from a bottle sitting beside him. “They like eating flesh, I suppose. Driven mad by the Keystones. Who knows how their minds work? No one has much intel on them. Anyone that gets close enough turns into a raging lunatic...or lunch. What stage was the Hexer at?”

“That’s what’s troubling me as well,’ Cody swallows, “He still looked human.”

“Then the brain may have still been wired to speak.” His gaze then fell on my neck, “Is that how you got the bruising?”

“No. He threw a shoe at a demon monkey.”

“Are you serious? Oddball, I know you’re a bit crazy but just wow.”

I bristle at how stupid it sounds out loud, “Cody was too fat.”

“Maybe you’re showing signs of being a Hexer,” Jack chuckles. “No one in their right mind would do that, except you.”

Strike two.

Cody probably notices my jaw tick as he looks back over at Jack, “So I’ve shared my information, now it’s your turn.”

“That it is.” Jack pulls himself up and leans forward, closer to us, “I’ve shown you the military outside the wall.”

I frown back at what we saw just an hour ago.

“Now normally, there is maybe one or two patrols in one month as a formal thing to keep the frightened civs humoured. All part of the delusion they have going on in there to make them think that they are being kept safe.”

“The Fence has worked for almost a decade,” I mutter to myself.

He nods, “All part of the smoke and mirrors. However in the last couple of weeks the military has been building up and it has nothing to do with city defence against the Miasma or Keystone hordes.”

“Then, what’s left?” Cody frowns.

“What else is left?”

My breath hitched when I realised, “Other cities.”

“What?"’ Cody was stunned. “But-”

“The City-States have been unsettled with each other for a few months now. A war is brewing.” Jack cuts him off.

Then we shouldn’t be here. We don’t need to be caught up like some helpless casualties. They threw the doors shut and killed us if we got too close, why stick around?

“This is a perfect time to strike.”

Strike what? What’s this lunatic gone and done now?

“While they fight each other, we bring down the Fence.”

I shot to my feet, “Are you serious?”

“What do you think?”

“If there is a war coming, they aren’t going to be hitting each other with plastic mallets. From what I remember you telling me, they have advanced in any and all technology. That includes weapons.”

“And we have sat on the outside for far too long,” Jack growls. “The city gates and that blasted Fence need to be destroyed. Before they begin the manhunts on us once again. And they will, this time far better equiped to murder children in their beds just because they can leviate a pot across the room.”

My glare hardens, “I will not let you use my brother like some bulldozer.”

“He would be a welcomed addition.”

“And you think they’ll sit by and watch you do this? They’ll rain bullets down on Cody the moment he enters the fray, each side will think he’s part of either sides’ vanguard. This isn’t our war.”

“It is our war. We’re starving out here while everyone inside live like kings. Think about it Oddball.”

And you will do anything to achieve your justice. Sacrifice anything and everything to see a little wall brought down.

“You’re not using Cody,” I repeat between clenched teeth.

“That is for your dear brother to decide. Cody?”

Both our head turn over to Cody. Cody looks between us and then exhales, licking his lips, “I’m only here to give you information. That’s it.”

I feel my body going weak with relief.

“You’re that scared of your brother?”

“You have no idea.”

Jack chuckles, “You are a wonder, Oddball. What would you do if I asked to borrow you’re other two siblings?”

“You’re eyes still functioning alright?”

“Yeah.”

“Cody, give me your fork.”

Jack quickly leans back with a lazy grin and his hands up in surrender, “Point taken. I will not ask your family to join in. For now. We still have time. But do think on it Cody, you have been more than helpful over the years. Even with that little loud-mouthed terrier yapping at your heels.”

That's it. I'm finding that brick.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 55 15
A curse boy who is frail and weak, a world that rejects his existence, a world that felt his pain, rage, and agony. Losing somebody important, losing...
36 0 6
"I never thought this would happen. Ever. Especially not to me. Never in my life did I think that one day, everybody I loved would die. And definitel...
64.7K 2.3K 19
Boy runs away from home. Boy meets dangerous man. Then shit hits the fan.
19.3K 1.2K 28
Cursed I am; now cursed, you'll be.