Carlton ✔

By TheEuphoricWriter

[COMPLETED] [Selected for @ProjectBadboys official reading list: Knights] Carlton Hargrave is arrogant and ut... More

✦| Introduction
✦| Prologue
1| The Bancroft Family
2| The Masquerade Mishap
3| The Runaway Blonde
4| The Whimsical Escape
5| The Northwing Gunshots
6| The Unwinding Pursuit
7| The Homicidal Duo
8| The Dating Deal
9| The Dynamite Girl
10| The Unforeseen Encounter
11| The Safehouse Ambush
12| The Redhead's Condo
13| The Unravelling Past
14| The Puzzling Letter
15| The Anticipated End
16| The Unceremonious Plan
17| The Price Villa
18| The Red Flower
BOOK TRAILER
19| The Killer Instinct
20| The Erroneous Murder
21| The Truthful Lies
22| The Shady Conundrums
23| The Implausible Secret
24| The Broken Wings
25| The Hot Pursuit
26| The Mysterious Stalker
27| The First Step
28| The Ice Princess
29| The Ballroom Death
30| The Backalley Shootings
31| The Unfolding Fates
32| The Unsettling Claim
33| The Dreaded Conference
34| The Ulterior Motive
35| The Startling Destiny
36| The Bloodshot Schemes
37| The Raving Monster
38| The Unplanned Escape
39| The Crumbling Faith
40| The Assassination Attempt
41| The Unfortunate Events
42| The Unhinged Heartbeats
44| The Awful Mistake
45| The Welcomed Burden
46| The Scathed Wits
47| The Last Fight
48| The Avid Breakout
49| The Bewildering Embrace
50| The New Hargrave
✦| Epilogue

43| The Uncertain Decision

134 17 31
By TheEuphoricWriter

Dedicated to:Friendjudy

Thanks for the votes buddy!

"If death strikes before I prove my blood, I swear I'll kill death."
~ scoopwhoop.com

**Minimal sexual content ahead**

Carlton's POV

"Thunderbird Bar and Grill, 11 pm."

That was all that was written on the piece of crumpled paper that Damien had handed to me. I sighed drowsily, shoving the paper back into my pocket.

Of course Augustus asked me to meet him there. His family owned that bar. If he shot me through the head in front of everyone in there, he'd still be able to cover it up.

We were back in Caden's penthouse. My eyes fell on Breanna, sitting cross-legged in the far edge of the bedroom, brooding as she stared out of the window. I approached and sat in front of her.

I could spot tear stains on her cheeks as the rays of the setting sun brightened her face.

"You still don't trust me?" She questioned, but it sounded more like a statement.

I opened my mouth but she cut me off.

"Don't." She finally looked at me. "If I were in your place, I wouldn't trust me either."

I knew why she was feeling so low. And even though my heart ached because of her, it pained me to see her like this. "I'll save Ace. I promise you. And Raymond will walk again in no time."

Her eyes widened slightly. Her auburn hair tumbled over her shoulders as she shifted in her place. Out of the blue, she scooted closer to me. "You think that they're the only ones I care about. And even though it hurts so fucking much to see my comrades in pain because of me, it hurts me more that you're carrying all of that burden. When it should've been me."

My heart thudded a little louder than normal. "When I said I would help you, I really meant it Bree."

Her lips curved into a sad smile and she nodded slowly, an expression of relief on her face. "I was wrong to judge you when I was young. You're a man of your word, Carlton. And if there's any way that I've hurt you knowingly or unknowingly, I'm sorry...from the bottom of my heart."

Oh, there was an entire list of those.

But my heart melted for her. She looked so beat and weary. When I saw deep in her eyes, I could see sorrow and longing for company. And yet she never asked for it. Everything I ever did for her, I had volunteered to do it.

In that moment I realised, I could never hold her accountable for the situation my friends and I were in. It was our choice and our doing. She never asked for it.

I felt guilty again, for going off at her when she showed Raymond even an ounce of respect. It was my jealousy that got the better of me. I smiled back at her, nodding in approval. "It'll be over soon."

Her smile faded.

"We'll figure something out," I said immediately to cover myself. There was no way she could know about the piece of paper.

"If Augustus asks for me, I'll go."

"There won't be any need for that." I was close enough to lift my hand up and tuck her hair behind her ears. My sudden gesture made her body tense.

"Why?"

Because I'm sacrificing myself.

My fingers rested below her ears, slightly grazing her skin there. She shivered slightly under my touch. I heard her raspy breath as she inhaled deeply.

Shit.

I had promised myself I wouldn't go there. Because she was still in love with Raymond, right? Right?

But I couldn't convince my enthusiastic heart to settle down, as I watched my thumb trace her jawline. I was so lost in the moment that I didn't notice her clasp her fingers around my hand. She lifted my hand gently to her mouth and kissed in the center of my palm.

That was all it took for my feelings to come flooding back.

She looked back at me with fire in her eyes, biting her lower lip. I gulped, straightening my back, endeavouring my best not to let conscience slip.

But that was the thing about my conscience, it always slipped around her.

She moved closer to me, placing her hands flat on my chest and pushing me back towards the wall. I watched her thrillfully as crawled on top of me, placing both her legs on my either side. Both her hands grabbed my face with need. And warning bells went off in the back of my head. "Bree we should-"

"Shut up." Her mouth came down on me, her hands stubbornly pulling my face closer than it already was.

Her lips were...oh so soft. I don't know why but the warning bells stopped ringing. I moaned, every part of my body bursting into flames, screaming for her with need. Our mouths glided on eachother, my fingernails digging into the fabric of the cloth at her waist.

Why were we doing this all of a sudden? It didn't make any sense. I thought she had softened up to Raymond, but apparantly not?

It had been so long since I had kissed her. My breathing was out of control, while I constantly refrained my hands from tearing her clothes apart.

It felt wrong, but God it felt so right at the same time.

She pulled away for a moment and panted. "You drive me so fucking crazy, Carlton." And instantly, her mouth was back on mine again, this time more demanding.

Why? No. This is wrong. She had no idea what I was about to do. I was literally walking into my grave that night on the assumption that Breanna didn't want me.

Oh but she does — my heart mocked me — you disrespectful asshole, this is what you always do to the women who get close to you.

My hands snaked down her back to her waist, my fingers slipping into her loose white shirt. Her skin felt soft and warm against my rough hands as my fingers made their way to the hook of her bra.

But my heart was breaking into pieces. She did not deserve this.

My lips took control of the kiss, trailing it down from her jaw, down her neck, to between her breasts. I watched with pain in my heart as her head fell back with pleasure.

No.

Stop it.

My hands fell before I could unbuckle her bra, my lips resting still on the skin above her breasts. My body had seized completely, but I didn't let go of her. I held her in my arms, memorizing the sizzle I felt from the closeness.

I might never get to feel it again.

She sensed it but gave me a moment to rest nonetheless. Her chest rose and fell quickly, her fingers sifting through my hair. I felt her place her chin on the top of my head, her grip tightening on my face.

"Carlton...?"

I looked up at her, sweat beading my forehead. She looked back with genuine distress glimmering in her blue eyes. It was impossible, I didn't know what to say to her, so I wrapped my arms around her again, helping her stand up with me.

"What's wrong?" She finally confronted.

"This is wrong."

Her eyebrows furrowed and it killed me as her face materialised into a crest-fallen expression. "W-Why?"

I gripped her face rather harshly. "You and I are not destined to be together, never were."

Her lips parted, tears shimmering on the sides of her eyes. "Why're you saying that? After...everything?!"

I backed away from her as if she burned me. "No, I'll break you."

"Carlton-"

"Can't you see?!" I yelled, making her jump with fear. "This is who I am! I need no one and I trust no one! Not even you Bree, and I shall die this way."

She burst into tears, slapping her hands on her mouth to suppress her whimpers. "What are you talking about?!"

My throat began to hurt, and I felt a shower of tears waiting to fall. "Believe me, Breanna, it's better this way."

She was wailing now, and I watched her fall to her knees before I stormed away from there, a single tear streaming down my cheek.

Don't make this harder than it already is.

*****

"I can't take this anymore," Caden admitted as he lay on a couch in the living room, rubbing his temple.

"No shit."

"Shut the fuck up."

I sighed. We were behaving like typical siblings, which was odd because all these years all we did was avoid one another. I felt like laughing out sarcastically. When I was finally getting along with my brother and my crush, I had to give it all up, huh?

Fuck you, life.

"What was he thinking?" Caden spoke, to no one in particular. "Didn't he think everyone would start questioning if he bombs a vehicle in the hospital premises?"

"That's exactly why he did it."

"Huh?" His eyes now fell on me with intrigue.

I leaned against a wall, folding my hands in deep thought. "He did it because he wants others to be aware of this. He will cover it up for sure, but from the common people. The higher ups will definitely find out the real reason."

Caden immediately sat up straight. "So this is like a discrete announcement."

I nodded.

"But why?" His shoulders slumped again as he stared out of the window at the pitch black night sky. "Why would Augustus want others to know that he's fighting with us?"

To be honest, I didn't know. All I could notice was how Caden went from 'you' to 'us' in a matter of weeks. Too bad I wouldn't be around to witness how our relationship would progress furthur.

My watch struck 10 pm.

"Anyway," I exclaimed, "I'll be around if you need me."

His dubious glare met mine. "Going somewhere?"

I paused. He was quick to figure that out. I controlled my demeanour. "Yes...just a stroll."

He looked away again, seeming satisfied. "Be careful."

I breathed a sigh of relief before walking out of there.

Goodbye, brother.

*****

This was the right thing to do. Caden was visibly out of ideas and my heart was exhausted from watching other people getting hurt because of decisions that I made. I lit a cigarette as I walked up to my car. It was probably the last time I lit one, so I enjoyed it slowly, watching the smoke swirl away with the late night gale.

Augustus Bancroft was a powerful man. Only I was capable of defeating him. And if he was planning to take me down, I would make sure I take him down with me.

"Sir? May I inquire where you're going?"

I almost choked on hearing that. Whirling around, I exclaimed, "Phillip. You've helped enough. You should rest."

His fists tightened. "I cannot rest knowing that you wondered off somewhere alone."

"I'll be fine."

"That you will be, Sir." He smiled at me softly. "I just need to make sure of that. I won't interrupt your affairs, I'll only accompany you."

I clenched my teeth. Was it a good idea to let him tag along? But again, I knew him, he wouldn't let me go otherwise.

He walked up beside me, opening the car door. "Allow me."

"You didn't have to do that, you're not my chauffeur."

An amiable expression formed on his face as he stepped out of the way. "I promised your mother to keep you safe as well as to keep you at ease."

I stepped into the passenger seat. "You know my mother quite well it seems."

"She's a good woman. She helped me in my hardships, so I shall help her in hers."

"My mother? Hardships?" I looked at him with confusion.

Phil took a short pause before answering as he got behind the wheel. "It is you, Sir. Your mother worries about you. And it's my duty to keep her worries at bay."

He proceeded to rev the car on and sent an elated smile in my way. "Where to?"

**********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10K 345 88
| COMPLETE | [this is the first draft of my story. so, if there's grammatical mistakes and continuity errors, i apologize and i will be editing in th...
35.9M 1.1M 47
"She's hot." "Yeah, I know. I'm kinda jealous..." "I'm gonna ask her out." "Are you crazy? You're asking for a death wish." "What's so wrong with me...
479K 12.4K 36
Kehlani Stevenson's mother's mind snapped two years ago when the divorce happened. Her mom's divorce from her dad sent her mom insane, so when Kehlan...
7.9K 604 66
BOOK 1 in AVENGING LOVE SERIES ******* She's a girl full of confidence and resentment toward the bad. She meets him. And he's a boy full of secrets...