Dreamtale Oneshots

By TeardropBlue

A book of Dreamtale oneshots I started writing in 2017 that gradually turned into an actual story by 2020. Th... More

Nightmares fear of dark
Dream finds a sword
Nightmare's nightmare
Dream's bed time story
Dreams fear of toasters
Nightmare hates ducks
Dream tries coffee
Dream destroys all the windows
Rainy day
My sunshine
Blissful
Peace Was Never an Option
Pillow fight and puns
Argument
Merry Christmas
When it rains
Broken Bones
Sticks and Stones
Sickness
Keith the Pet Rock's life
Night Terrors
Nightmare Likes Ducks
Games
May Break My Bones
I Will Keep You Safe
Compliments
Guilty Conscience
Childish
Dream's a Cat? Are You Kitten Me?
Nightmare Gets Therapy
Art Festival
Keep It All Inside
The Old Switcheroo
I'd Do Anything for You
Starry Nights Starry Eyes
Thunderstorm
Jealousy
Friends, huh?
Dream Destroys All of the Doors
Never Be Alone
I Can Show You the World
Malevolent Dreams
A Glimpse Into the Future
Sadness and Sorrow
Responsibility OCD
Relax
Dream Destroys Everything
Hide and Seek Tag Feat. Ink and Blue
Bittersweet Symphony
Easter Festival
Sleepover
It Used to Be Different
Superstitions
Clawsome Furrends
Addiction
Why Are You Afraid?
The Promise
Dream and Blue Join Forces
Dream and Blue Visit Sugartale
Fireworks
Break My Mind
You Will Always Have Me
You Can't Understand
Nightmare Eyes
Our Name
Sweet Dreams
Trust
Lie to Me
You Are What You Are
Snap
Memory One
Brothers
I Love You
Loyalty
No Time to Regret
Blue Joins The Party
Error Joins The Party
Bonnie
Wistfully
Memory Two
Breaking Point
Disbelief
Remorse
Ink Joins The Party
Bonnie Joins The Party
The Greatest Plan
Start Again

A Shattered Vision

1.6K 71 130
By TeardropBlue

Thank you LaunchSteinward for this awesome suggestion :> I hope you all enjoy and remember to brush your teeth before you

Nightmare couldn't sleep. 

It's nothing unusual, the guardian tends to have a lot of trouble sleeping at night for a variety of reasons. Most of the time it's simply because he doesn't want to- he'd rather stare outside of his window at the night sky or go for a long walk to clear his mind. Though, sometimes the reasons can be a lot darker. 

Nightmare has nightmares. They can be truly horrific to the point where they feel real and leave him paranoid for days. There's always a figure in his night terrors- it watches him, taunts him, talks to him.

He was afraid of it- but not for those reasons.

The figure looks just like him, though covered in a strange, inky-black substance. It's voice is gargled and his words cut deep- deeper than any blade. He doesn't know what to do about it or how to get rid of it; he doesn't want to be stuck with this creature.

He refuses to believe that they're the same person. He will never become that thing.

A sudden rush of cold air filled his bedroom, causing him to shiver. The guardian glanced over at his window and sighed. He'd forgotten to close it. After a few seconds of fumbling with the bed cover, Nightmare shuffled to his feet and padded over towards the open window, yanking it shut with a little too much force. He didn't know why he did that. He released another sigh, resting his arms on the window sill and peering out through the glass pane with dull-lilac eyes.

There were no visible stars or moon. The sky was blanketed with thick, dark clouds that prevented the comforting moonlight from reaching his room. Nightmare let out a bitter huff. He hated clouds. Despite the lack of view, the guardian continued to gaze out through the window- though his mind was elsewhere.

He couldn't stop thinking about the vision he'd had a while ago. He'd tried to come up with ways to alter it though he had no way of knowing if his efforts were in vain.

Well, he supposed there was one way.

He'd contemplated taking another sip of the potion just to see if anything was different though he was afraid. He didn't know what he'd see and it scared him. But he needed to know. He had to.

Nightmare groaned, burying his face into his arms. All of these thoughts were driving him insane and he could feel his breathing quicken.

Surely he'd changed something about the future, right? He's tried so hard to do things differently in hopes that it'll stop what he'd seen- he barely approached the Tree of Feelings anymore! He wouldn't become that monster, of course he wouldn't. He made a promise to Dream that he'd stay by him forever and he vowed to keep it. He could never hurt his dear brother. Never, never, never.

His mind was slowly becoming scattered and unfocused, fear pricking him like needles and dread washing over him in waves. He lifted his head up and clenched his fists, glaring out through the glass pane with watery eyes.

He wouldn't hurt Dream and he wouldn't become that monster.

Never, never, never. 

Would he?

Nightmare let out a frustrated cry for even questioning that, closing his eyes shut and baring his teeth. A stray tear rolled down his cheekbone and dripped onto the window sill, staining it lilac. He had to know. He had to know if he'd altered the future somehow. The guardian took a deep breath, reopening his eyes and clicking his fingers. 

He appeared in front of the familiar shack of the witch. It was pitch black outside and he could barely see. The air around him felt dense; it'll probably rain soon. Why is he stalling? The guardian shook his head, taking a few steps forward and pushing open the door. The dried hinges let out a loud creak and Nightmare felt a shiver run down his spine at the eerie sound. 

He fully entered the ghostly shack and closed the door behind him, squinting into the darkness while taking a few strides forward. He doubted the witch was asleep thanks to his last visit here when she'd been expecting him. Then again, he couldn't see any sign of her. Maybe she really was asleep-

"You're back."

Nightmare yelped, spinning around to face the door he'd just closed. The witch eyed him with a strange look. The guardian quickly recovered from his shock and scowled at the goat lady, folding his arms angrily. He didn't like the way she was staring at him.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"You never came back for more vials." She mused aloud. "Nobody has ever resisted the temptation of them."

Nightmare faltered, his mind going back to the vial he'd taken about a week ago that transformed him into the opposite of himself. Truth be told, he did long for those feelings again however the words Error had said to him and the way Dream had been so relieved when he'd returned back to normal grounded him. He wouldn't do something selfish like that again.

"Well I did." Nightmare answered bluntly.

The witch hummed thoughtfully, turning away from the guardian and shambling over towards the counter. 

"Well, what are you here for this time?" She asked, peering at him with her ruby-red eyes.

"I need to see the future again." He replied, treading over towards the counter. "I need to know if I've changed it."

The witch frowned however nodded and slowly shuffled towards the potion rack in search for the right potion.

"You know, to drastically alter the future like you're trying to do is nearly impossible." She spoke, moving aside a few bottles until her eyes landed on the familiar purple concoction. She reached forwards and grabbed it with her paw, stepping back and shuffling over to the counter again.

"Nearly." Nightmare pointed out. "But not completely. If I keep trying then I'll do it."

The witch paused, staring at the guardian with fascination. A grin etched it's way onto her face as she placed the fizzing, purple brew in front of him.

"I may not like you, but your determination is interesting and admirable."

Nightmare felt both attacked yet appreciated.

"Thanks, I think."

The witch cackled quietly, pushing the bottle towards him.

"Just take a sip- oh, but before you do there's something you need to know."

Nightmare narrowed his eyes slightly, looking between the potion and the witch.

"Since I can only assume you've been trying lots of ways to change whatever may happen, you will most likely be shown multiple possibilities."

Nightmare frowned- is that a good thing? He stared at the witch one last time and when he was sure she wasn't going to say anything else, he popped the cork out of the bottle and leaned his head back, taking a sip of the brew. Just like last time, a blinding flash of light filled his vision and the bottle slipped out of his hand. The witch snatched it quickly and huffed, grumbling under her breath. 

When Nightmare reopened his eyes, he had a birds-eye view of his and Dream's garden. He felt his breath hitch as he realised this was the same exact future as the one he'd previously saw. He didn't want to re-watch this, yet he could only stare as he observed himself impale Dream and then destroy the Tree of Feelings with a single swipe of a tentacle. He closed his eyes, expecting to be back in the shack when he reopened them however was surprised when he was in a different place. He recalled what the witch had said and realised this was a different possibility. He stared down, wondering what was going on.

Dream and himself suddenly materialised, standing in front of the lake the two brothers loved to visit and holding hands. They were both laughing about something and he noticed he looked a little different. The other version of himself wore a lilac cape similar to Dream's except it had a crescent moon on it. He briefly remembered a few years ago when Dream had suggested they make a cape for Nightmare too- was this the cape? Is this a good future?

"We'll be together always." Nightmare promised to Dream, holding his hand firmly. Dream grinned and nodded. 

"I know."

Ink, Blue and even Error materialised beside them. They all peered into the lake below them with smiles. Nightmare felt himself smile at this possibility. This is the one he wants- this is the one he will get.

He sighed softly and closed his eyes.

Yet when he reopened them, he was in a different possibility. His smile immediately fell when he noticed he was facing the Tree of Feelings. What he saw made his blood run cold.

"What are you doing?" Nightmare seethed, glaring at Dream with his single eye. "What have you done?"

Dream stared at Nightmare, tears streaming down from his eye-sockets. The half-eaten dark apple fell from his grasp.

Nightmare's breath once again hitched.

"The voice- it told me to." Dream whispered.

A few seconds of silence passed before Dream released a strangled cry and an inky-black tentacle shot out through his eye-socket, startling the corrupted Nightmare. Dream choked, liquid negativity oozing out from his bones and drenching him until he was completely coated in the substance. Dream's crown became pointed and only one blazing bronze eye was visible.

The corrupted Nightmare stared in disbelief, taking a few steps backward from his brother.

"Dream..." Both him and the corrupted Nightmare below stammered.

Dream had a twisted, pained grin on his face as he peered back at his brother.

"Dream, why did you-?" corrupted Nightmare trailed off.

The corrupted Dream giggled, stepping closer to his brother.

"You should be happy, brother!" He laughed maniacally, stepping even closer until he was face to face with the corrupted Nightmare. "Aren't you happy that I'm going to be by your side now?"

Nightmare closed his eyes, letting out a loud wail. He didn't like this. This couldn't happen- this wouldn't happen. He covered his non-existent ears and sobbed, refusing to watch.

"Hey- snap out of it!" The witch cried out, shaking the guardian vigorously. Nightmare's eyes flung open and he stumbled back, tumbling down onto the floorboards. His breathing was ragged and uneven as the daunting image of his brother replayed in his head. The witch peered down at him with a blank expression. 

"Dream..." Nightmare whimpered, repeatedly mumbling his brother's name under his breath.

"What about him?"

Nightmare ignored her question and clicked his fingers, teleporting back home. He started up the stairs however found he didn't have the strength to climb up them and instead sank down onto one of the steps, bringing his knees to his chest and resting his head on his knees. He sobbed hysterically. His mind was restless; negative thoughts clouded his mind and sent him into a panic. The voice was oddly quiet. It usually taunted him when he cried.

Dream stirred, sitting up in his bed and rubbing his eye-sockets. Something was wrong. As soon as he heard the muffled cries of his brother he threw off his bed covers and sprang to his feet, darting out of the room in the direction of the crying. He caught sight of his brother on the stairs and wasted no time in rushing down them towards him and bringing him into a warm embrace.

"Night?" He whispered, trying to get his brother to meet his eyes.

As soon as Nightmare felt his brother's arms wrap around him, his mind somewhat eased.

"Dream." He croaked out brokenly. 

Dream felt a pang of grief and sorrow at the sound of his brother's melancholic voice. He shuffled and adjusted their position so Nightmare was leaned completely into Dream's embrace. He hugged the guardian of negativity close, whispering soothing words.

"It's okay, I'm here." He mumbled, gently rubbing Nightmare's back in reassurance.

"Dream." Nightmare choked out again, beginning to repetitively say his name between shaky breaths.

"I'm here, Night. Don't worry, I won't leave." Dream whispered softly. "I'll keep you safe forever. What happened?" He asked quietly.

Nightmare whimpered, his breaths once again becoming ragged.

'Tell him.' The voice mumbled.

"I drank the potion again- the future one."

Dream's eyes widened a fraction. 

"I saw you." Nightmare continued with shaky breaths before breaking down into more sobs that wracked his body. Dream frowned, hugging his brother tighter and once again whispering soothing words to him.

"If I..." Nightmare wheezed as he tried to speak between his cries. "If I become a monster-"

"You won't." Dream interrupted. "I won't let you- and even if you do, I'd never see you as a monster."

Nightmare shook his head, letting out another sob.

"Don't eat the dark apples."

Dream frowned, confusion flickering across his face.

"I'd never do that." He mumbled.

Nightmare didn't say anything else, instead he buried his face into Dream's shirt and wept woefully. Dream stayed with him for hours, just holding his brother close and talking gently to him. Nightmare had told him every possibility he'd seen and Dream promised that they'd make the second vision he'd had be the one they get. I guess they'll be making a cape next. 

It was nearly four in the morning by now and both brothers were exhausted. Nightmare kept drifting in and out of consciousness and Dream was struggling to stay awake himself. As soon as he was sure his brother had drifted away into sleep, he lifted him up carefully and carried him up the stairs towards the guardian of negativity's bedroom. He quietly nudged open the ajar door with his foot and treaded inside, placing his brother onto the bed as gently as possible. He grabbed the bed cover and pulled it over Nightmare, tucking him in. 

"We'll get that happy ending." Dream promised, staring down at his sleeping brother with a weak smile. "Goodnight, I love you." 

Dream lingered by him before turning away and exiting the bedroom. He closed the door quietly and made his way back to his own bedroom.

--End--

So you decide.

Do you want the happy ending? Or do you want the real ending?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.1K 2.4K 23
⪼A life where our beloved [Reader/REDACTED] died a very.. 'Fun' death. ⪼upon realizing their death, they'd realize that they reincarnated into error...
68.9K 2.3K 39
When Ink is exploring the au's, he stumbles upon a new au where he meets a new friend named Nightmare. The both of them create a close bond, and Nigh...
31.8K 505 17
I wanted to make a yandere book, so here it is!!! You can ask for oneshots, friendship oneshots, but there will be no bad words, no inappropriate stu...
21.1K 641 42
Welp...here it is ꧁•••••꧂ One day...Ink was being reported as a murderer Ink always denying that he didn't killed his two best friends that was Dream...