The Lost Nation: Nkechi the R...

By Layla-A-D

Since her birth, Nkechi's has been reassured by the fact that her life was predestined. Her fate was written... More

Playlist
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17

8

755 86 23
By Layla-A-D

Nkechi gnawed on her bottom lip as she stared at the rising sun. The sun had barely begun its accent across the sky and her mind had already been awake and ready for the day but Nkechi was not ready. Her mind had been fitful and her dreams vivid.

A mournful sigh left her lips as she watched the vibrant red hues of the sun cast a luminous glow over her home. Today was a pivotal day in both her and her brother's journey.

Femi would be making an announcement that would shake the foundations of this tribe and with it, Nkechi's part would come to an end. There was a deep-rooted sense of sadness that weighed her down but beneath that all, there was a strum of excitement. Today was the day that both Femi and Nkechi would be taking the first steps in fulfilling their destinies. It was a momentous time and not just for her tribe but the whole Dari Soleen.

The Goddess had been working hard for years, her plans transpiring further then their feeble mortal minds could comprehend. She had been planning and by doing something so small as following their destinies, Nkechi and Femi would be altering the destinies of so many tribes and nations.

Nodding her head in acceptance, Nkechi peeled her eyes away from the beautiful sight that was her home. A wistful smile spread across her face as she slowly made her way through the tribe's land.

The quiet morning slowly came alive as more and more people woke from their slumber. By the time she made it back to her brother's hut, the majority of her tribespeople were making their way out of their homes and beginning their morning routines.

Nkechi knocked on the wooden pane of her brother's hut before stepping through the opening. A soft chuckle tumbled from her chest as she watched Femi scurry around. Her brother was fitful as he tried to salvage what was left of the burnt breakfast.

"I guess cooking will not be a part of your husbandly duties?"

Femi jumped and dropped the bowl of burnt food to the floor. "You made me drop the food. Now, what am I supposed to serve her?"

Nkechi burst out laughing at her brother's distraught face. "I did you a favour. I doubt she would have wanted to eat that."

His face fell as he looked at the burnt food that he made. "Was it that bad?"

Nkechi felt bad but her brother deserved her honesty, "Yes, but don't worry there is still time to salvage this before she arrives."

Nkechi stepped into her brothers cooking area and started cleaning up the mess he had made.

"What's the jury?" he mumbled as he rubbed at the back of his neck.

"Not too bad. The eggs are fine, but the flat cakes need to go because those are burnt to a crisp and whatever this is," Nkechi grimaced at the green slop her brother had tried to prepare, "this needs to go. Don't worry though, I picked up some fruit on my morning walk."

"It was green banana," Femi mumbled.

Nkechi's mouth hung ajar, "Green banana? What did you do? Leave the skin on a boil it to a pulp?"

She burst into more laughter at her brother's guilty expression. Shaking her head in mirth, she began instructing him on the proper way of boiling the hard fruit, starting with removing the skin. Once he seemed to have gotten the hang of the preparation, she left him to that as she went through his limited vegetable and spice selection. She began preparing a spicy vegetable stew to accompany the food. The stew didn't take long, so she began prepping the fruits she had freshly picked.

Once all the food was prepared except for the banana that was still boiling, she began making a small brew of coffee and a pot of lemon and ginger tea. She wasn't sure what Ife would want so she made both.

Ife arrived just as Femi began setting the table. Nkechi waved the shy woman in, a knowing smile on her face as Femi became bashful.

Once everything was set, the three sat down at the table. Femi and Ife both remained quiet, but they kept glancing longingly at each other as they ate the flavourful food. Nkechi smirked at them as she ate her food, she ate in record speed whilst the two played around with theirs.

When the silence became unbearable, Nkechi decided to start the conversation everyone seemed to dread.

"So, today you will both announce your betrothal. How do you feel about it?"

Ife looked down at her fingers, as she spoke. "I'm nervous, I know there will be a lot of people who disagree with Femi's choice. I don't want to cause any conflicts. Maybe, we should wait?"

Femi's face turned thunderous at Ife's last sentence. "No. There is no time better than now."

Nkechi silently agreed with her brother, though she wasn't opposed to having more time.

"I understand that, but maybe we should tell them that I am Funai before we just announce our betrothal?"

Nkechi had found out that Ife was Funai on her final day inside her cage. Ife's cloak had slipped up her arm to reveal that they were covered in The Goddesses holy marks. It was then that Nkechi finally understood The Goddesses plan for her Nation. Nkechi had known that she couldn't lead and that Femi was the rightful leader, but she had no idea who his partner was supposed to be. Nkechi had been relieved to find out that she was not las Funai.

A few days after Nkechi had been released, Femi had declared his love for Ife, and she had finally confided her secret to him. There had been a moment of disbelief on Femi's behalf, but they now shared the same understanding.

"It won't make a difference," interjected Femi. "Either way there will always be people who think Nkechi should lead with Kofi as her husband. I do not care though. I want to marry you and unless you have changed your mind about marrying me, we will announce it today."

Ife looked so unsure and Nkechi knew it had everything to do with the bullying she had faced in her adolescence.

"I agree with Femi. There is no other way to do this. It would have been easier for the tribe if you had let everyone know you were Funai when you realised that you were, but that was never your destiny. You are pure and untainted by the pressures and politics that I have faced all my life. You two, together, are undeniably supposed to lead this tribe. I strongly believe this, and I know you don't particularly care for our mother Femi, but she will also be on your side."

Femi scowled at the mention of their mother. His feelings for Zira hadn't changed in the past few days since he had taken Nkechi from their parents' home.

"I guess there is no better time than now. Nkechi, do you mind waiting outside while I speak to Ife?"

Nkechi quickly cleaned the plates and then waited outside for the two to talk. They took a few moments, and then the trio was making their way into the heart of the town. Femi had already spread the word a few days prior that he would be making an announcement today.

There was already a large crowd of people awaiting their arrival. The trio had to push their way through to make their way to the raised platform. Razi Matin stood on the stage with a reluctant Zira by his side. His large arms were folded as he anxiously waited for his son to approach. His brow knitted together when noticed that Ife was also making her way to the stage.

The tribe's chatter ground to a halt as they watched with confusion as the trio took to the stage. Femi gripped Ife's shaking hands whilst Nkechi stood on the right side of her and creating a unified front. Nkechi glossed over all the faces present before she motioned for Femi to start.

"Good morning everyone. Not many of you know this, but I have agreed to become my father's successor once he steps down. I know many of you will be wondering how is this possible when my sister is the last Funai?"

Many grunts of agreement echoed his words. Femi squeezed Ife's hand in comfort before continuing his speech.

"Well I have asked Ife to be my solah and she has agreed. The Goddess has shown us her favour as she also revealed that Ife is Funai."

Gasps of shock echoed through the tribe's people before one shout of protest continued until many were shouting their disagreement. Ife flinched at their harsh words, whilst their ignorant cries only angered Nkechi.

Gritting her teeth, she stepped forward. She stayed her brother with a wave of her hand and brought her fingers to her lips. The sharp whistle gained everyone's reluctant attention.

"I was believed to be the last Funai born of this tribe. You have all put your faith and your hopes into me. You have come to me for guidance and, I have never led you astray. Time and time again, I have given you the wisdom The Goddess has imparted on me and today is no different. I have stood by The Night Lady, Yahuna, The Goddess, making decisions at my detriment, putting myself in harm's way because the goddess has wished it. I have never given into corruption. I have remained loyal to our holy and ancient ways. I have stood true to my calling and this day is no different. I say all of this to say, that if you have trusted me for years, now is not the time to stop.

Yahuna, The Goddess, has a plan for us and this plan lays at the feet of these two people. Together they will lead this tribe with nothing but strength and compassion. I understand that change is something that we are all reluctant to accept but this is the way of things now. Accept what has already been ordained."

The crowd remained quiet, no one knew what to say. The tribe stood by waiting for someone to rebuke her words, Nkechi especially waited for her father, Matin to say something and when he stepped forward her dread began to climb. Matin's large form always made Nkechi feel weak and feeble and beside him, she was sure she appeared to be exactly that, but she refused to be cowered at his feet.

Clearing his throat, Matin looked to both of his children and his wife and then faced the crowd. They all stood with halted breaths for Matin to make his final decision.

"I was not made aware of Ife's gift, nor have I seen the marks for my own eyes. In a not too distant past, I would have demanded Ife reveal her holy marks to me and then I would have taken my time deliberating on whether this union was right, simply because I was not first aware. However, I will not do any of those things. Instead, I give my blessing of this union and our future leaders.

I have made many mistakes in my days, but I am strongly convinced that these two being the next successors is the only choice The Goddess will ever accept."

As soon as Matin's speech finished, the tribe slowly began to cheer in their support. The whistling and screaming grew louder and louder and before Nkechi knew it, she too was screaming and cheering for her brother and Ife. A massive smile split Femi's cheeks and Ife's face was tinged red as she cried in joy.

Drums and instruments appeared from thin air, as the music began to carry through the communal area. The joyful aura was surreal to witness but it felt true. There was nothing that tainted the atmosphere. The only person who was openly disappointed in the news was Kofi, and he had remained silent through all of the announcements. His bruised face and healing bones were a constant reminder of what would happen to him if he ever tried to move against Femi.

Nkechi smiled and greeted celebratory people as she slowly manoeuvred herself out of the crowd and toward the outskirts. Once she was finally free from all of the cheering bodies, she took a glance back at her people. She made eye contact with her mother. A soft smile on Zira's lips as she placed her fingers over her heart and patted.

Nkechi repeated the motion as tears lined her eyes. Sucking in her tears, Nkechi made her way back to her parents' home and gathered the small bag she had prepared weeks ago.

"You were going to leave without saying goodbye?"

Nkechi's head snapped up in surprise. Femi's large body leaned against the door frame as he frowned at her.

"How did you know I was leaving?"

Femi rolled his eyes as he stepped into his parent's home, "I may not have the sight and whatever abilities that enable you to know things, but I do have two good eyes and you made it very obvious, Niko."

"That was my intention. I wanted you to know that I will always be thankful for you and all that you have done Femi, but I wanted to avoid this moment."

Nkechi's voice cracked at the end of her sentence. The thought of leaving her brother for an unsure future was hard for her to fathom.

"Not saying goodbye won't make it hurt any less so don't rob us of this final moment."

Hearing her brother's destitute tone was all Nkechi needed to propel herself at him. Tears cascaded down her face as weeks and weeks of suppressed emotions bubbled out of her. Her heart was breaking and had been breaking for weeks on end but this moment here was hard for her. Femi was her everything, her confidant, her best friend. She truly couldn't imagine life without him. She buried her head into his chest. Her tears dampening his skin as they clung to each other for ages. Femi's body shook as his tears dripped on her cocoa skin.

Rocking back and forth, they swayed to a soundless tune until a distant call for Femi brought them back to reality. Their arms fell away from the embrace and they both wiped at their wet faces. A laugh burst from their lips at the mess of emotions they both were.

A wistful smile rested on Nkechi's lips as she gathered her bags and made her way to the doorway of her childhood home. This parting felt right. She was at peace.

"We'll see each other again," she murmured, giving Femi a final watery smile before she disappeared out of his sight.

Nkechi slowly made her way through the empty tribe's land, the celebratory cheers carrying her to the edge of their tree oasis. Her hands rested on the wooden support of the bridge. Closing her eyes, she embraced the authentic feel of her tribe one last time before she climbed over the edge of the bridge and leapt off it.

I don't usually politically post on this app and save that for my private socials BUT what is going on right now doesn't sit right with my heart or soul. I can't in my right mind, continue to write books about black and ethnic minorities and not say something about what is going on.

I love all of my BAME people, especially my black brothers and sisters from across the pond. I see what you guys are going though and I am proud of all of your resilience in the face of injustice, Racism and corruption. I hope you all stay safe and mentally protect yourselves because this can be draining. #BlackLivesMatter!! 🤎🤎🤎🖤🖤🖤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12 0 7
In a world of mystery and magic, sometimes old bonds must be broken before new ones can be formed. Who knew that finding one's soul mate would test b...
67.6K 6.5K 67
All her life, Saidy has only known two things: servitude to her slave master and the weight of a blade. Captured at a young age by a race of demons c...
74 0 28
"She steadied her breathing and stood up. It was time to keep moving. The Tormentor would find her again, but she needed distance from what she had d...
81K 6.1K 45
One mistake changes Hannah's life forever, exiling her from her realm and isolating her from the man who loves her. Now, Hannah must find a way to re...