Why me? ~ mark sloan

By calix_schreave

"Sometimes when you get hurt, all it takes is one touch from that right person, and everything is suddenly ok... More

A/N
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FORTY-NINE
CHAPTER FIFTY
CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE
CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO
CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE
CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER TWELVE

7.1K 121 10
By calix_schreave

"Mark!" She yelled, walking swiftly to try and catch up to him but she lost him in the crowd, his white coat just blending in with those of the doctors walking through the surprisingly filled halls. 

"What's going on?" Cristina asked from behind her, making her turn around slowly and sigh.

"Mark thinks I'm...cheating on him? I don't know what he thinks but he just stormed off, I don't know." Vanessa admitted, rubbing her forehead.

"I wasn't asking about that but we'll get back to it," She started, making Vanessa roll her eyes fondly, "Why is there so many people here and why are some of them in orange scrubs?" She asked and as if a lightbulb went off in Vanessa's head she remembered the merger with Mercy West.

"Merger with Mercy West." She said simply, walking over to Richard and tapping him on the shoulder causing him to turn around quickly.

"Oh. Doctor Hunt, what do you need?" He asked, looking down at her.

"I was going to ask if you needed any help? I could take some of the interns onto my service for the day - get them off of the floor?" She offered and the chief looked at her as if she was heaven on Earth.

"Yes! Yes. Please doctor Hunt." He sighed and she laughed, patting his arm as she walked away to collect some of the interns. She saw two people, a man and a woman, talking to each-other nervously. She noted their orange scrubs and walked up to them confidently, making sure to seem friendly but also not someone they could walk over.

"Hi. I'm Doctor Hunt, paediatric surgeon. You guys interns?" She asked and they looked to her anxiously. The boy was scanning her face with his green eyes and the girl was just fiddling with her fingers.

"How'd you guess?" The man said finally, smiling at her and holding out his hand, "Avery, Jackson Avery." He greeted and she shook his hand, knowing who he was but not showing it.

"What about you?" She turned to the woman, watching her eyes widen as she tried to form words.

"Kepner, April Kepner." She said and Vanessa nodded, smiling kindly at the two of them.

"Any ideas on what you guys want to specialise in?" She asked, not really expecting either of them to be the type to be a peds surgeon.

"No idea." They both said and Vanessa nodded again.

"Well for today you can be on my service." She said and they both looked at each other before nodding and following her to the elevator.

"Either of you at all interested in peds?" She asked and neither of them spoke, "Not everyone is, it's quite hardcore." She added, turning to the two interns and smiling gently at them.

"Now I know you're probably scared to come here - scared to take another surgeon's job - but if you're better than someone else it's not your fault." She seemed to calm them a bit when she said that. They were happy she wasn't discriminating against them for wearing orange.

When the elevator dinged, they all stepped out and Vanessa walked to the nurses station, grabbing her charts and turning to the interns infront of her.

"Right. Let's go."

She lead them to the first patient's room and let them lead the way, allowing them to practically have their own case, letting them get to know how Seattle Grace deals with patients. 

"Doctor Avery, great work." Vanessa praised as they walked out of the room, she turned to April and smiled at her gently, "You too Kepner." 

"Thank you Doctor Hunt." Avery smiled back at her, continuing to stare at her as she spoke to the nurse.

"We have one more patient." She announced to the two of them, walking to the room and opening the door, seeing Mark stood there. Everything in her wanted to turn back around and leave to avoid the awkwardness but she knew she had to stay, for her patient.

"Doctor Sloan." She greeted through gritted teeth, walking through the door and allowing Jackson and April to walk in.

"Doctor Hunt, who are these people?" He asked, glaring at Jackson who was staring at Vanessa.

"This is Doctor Kepner and this is Doctor Avery." She gestured to the two of them, smiling tightly at Mark and taking the chart out of his hands to read it.

"Susan Trent, 14 years old, symptoms are a sore throat, swollen tonsils and a fever - Doctor Kepner, what should our next plan of action be?" She turned to the female doctor and April gulped before speaking.

"Swab the throat and do some testing." She said and Vanessa nodded, turning to Avery.

"Doctor Avery what should we be concerned about?" She asked him, smiling at him kindly and causing Mark's blood to boil.

"Strep is the main concern right now, if that's the case we need to test her quickly and get her treated." He replied and Mark scoffed in the corner, earning a glare from Vanessa.

"Well done, both of you." She smiled at the two interns and ordered them to do the test while she opened the door and gestured for Mark to leave, following him out and closing the door.

"What is your problem?" She whisper-shouted at him, jabbing a finger into his chest harshly

"You tell me. First you and your ex and now that stupid intern. We never broke up you know." He stated, staring at her eyes intensely, anger and hurt flashing through his.

"Me and my friend were saying goodbye. Goodbye." She yelled, probably alerting the two interns and the family in the room to the situation happening outside, "I don't know what you mean about Avery - he's an intern." She continued, watching Mark's face contort into a look that she couldn't place.

"Look, I'm sorry if you thought there was something more going on but there wasn't. And you know there wasn't so why are you acting like this?" Her voice was softer this time, looking deeply into his eyes and searching for something, anything. When he was silent she continued to speak.

"See, I think it's because you're scared. Your reputation is on the line if you continue to date me. You've never felt anything like what you're feeling now and you're scared about being hurt and you're scared about losing your bad boy reputation - so fine. We can be done - over. If that's what you want then that's what's going to happen."

"It's over - we're done." She concluded, leaning across him and opening the door, walking in and closing it in his face.

"E-everything okay Doctor Hunt?" April asked, looking at her with sympathetic eyes and Vanessa hated it - she hated the pity.

"Perfectly fine Doctor Kepner." She snapped, sending her to take the swab to the lab to be tested. 

"We should get the results in a few hours so we'll come and see you then." Vanessa smiled at the parents and the patient, walking out with Jackson behind her.

Mark was stood there, waiting for Vanessa to walk out again and when he saw her he immediately fell into step with her and Jackson, walking to an unknown destination.

"Doctor Avery, since we have no patients to check on at the moment but we're still on call, you can do whatever you want just meet me back here." She pointed at the nurses station and Jackson nodded, walking off to probably find his Mercy West friends.

"Vanessa I'm not scared and I really don't want this to end." He started, having to jog slightly to keep up. 

"Mark I already made this clear. You don't want this to happen and I'm not going to keep you in this relationship if you want to get with other people." She said harshly, not looking at Mark.

"No. I don't want this to end." He breathed, grabbing her hand and stopping, forcing her to stop with him but she still didn't look at him, instead choosing to look at the floor.

"Vanessa listen to me, you're not listening to me." He pleaded, running his thumb over her knuckles and sighing when she didn't speak.

"Please, I-I don't... I'm freaked out - you were right - I've never felt this way before about anyone and I was scared. But I know now. I know." His voice grew weaker throughout his sentence, ending in a whisper.

The silence draped over the two of them made Mark's heart stop and his breaths seemed to be leaving him in shallow intervals, refusing to continue their normal pace.

"Mark." She whispered, a tear dripping down her face as she looked up at him.

"Vanessa." He breathed, using the grip he had on her hand to pull her into him, dipping her and pulling her mouth to his in a sweet kiss that made her heart stop.

She didn't want to be kissing him, she knew this whole thing was going to blow up in her face and leave her heartbroken but she couldn't escape the way he made her stomach flutter, the way his lips moulded into his as if they were made for each-other, the way her heart skipped a beat whenever he said her name. She couldn't escape him. And he couldn't escape her.

*************************************************************

A/N: I'm watching Denny's death while im writing this so it's not as good bc i'm not fully concentrating on writing.

still no proofreading.

Thanks for reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 138 15
You were running when you met someone, but you didn't know who because you were knocked out from the impact. Also You randomly get cuts & bruises, bu...
1.7K 74 6
Sometimes the best outcomes start out as the worse situations ever.
3.7K 122 34
Cyrus made a mistake. The wound would heal but it would take some time. Luckily there's was a new boy in town to help.
30.7K 1.2K 37
No matter how many times you get knocked down, you will always have someone to pick you back up.