Crash

By recklessandstuff

Life for Annabelle Carter was pretty great. She liked school, loved her best friends and enjoyed good music. ... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
This Is Living (Preview): Chapter 1 ©
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 18

1K 62 5
By recklessandstuff

No one in my family was a musician. It was just never something anyone did. I always thought I got it from one of my grandparents or even great grandparents, because neither of my parents were musically inclined. But nope. I was an outlier.

The first instrument that really caught my attention was the drums. All throughout my early years, I was blessed with an absurd amount of energy. No one knew what to do with me. Then one day, my dad played a music concert DVD for me - yes, I am DVD year's old - and the rest was history.

It was the Beatles, and at that time, only Ringo caught my attention. I liked his name, his style and most importantly, his sideburns. I immediately begged my parents to buy me a drum set, a Ringo inspired outfit and lastly, stick on side burns. I wanted to be Ringo Starr.

I attended drum lessons, and what my parents thought would be a passing phase, ended up being the start of my life long love for everything music related.

*

Every few Wednesday's I begged my teacher to let me come to school early and just play the drums. My parents had sold my drums and replaced them with electric drums, because I was making too much noise. I understood, and at home, I played my electric drums, but nothing could beat the real thing.

Today, I didn't feel like going overboard, I just wanted to drum along to something, so I had Sam Fender's Hypersonic Missiles album playing softly in the background. I really enjoyed this album, purely because of how diverse the songs were. I was able to play different instruments, depending on the song and that really helped me grow musically.

There was a sense of freedom as I played a long to the song - a sense of satisfaction. I allowed myself to be completely lost in the music. Another thing I really appreciated, was Sam Fender's sense of lyricism. He reminded me of Bruce Springsteen - someone who sings for a reason. I wanted to sing for a reason. I wanted to impact someone's life.

As the song came to an end,  debated whether to stick with the drums or play a different instrument. Then, I saw the bass in the corner and settled on switching things up. I had to make the most of the 10 or so minutes I had before people would start piling into the school. 

The song Dead Boy's had always been my favourite of all of his songs - the lyrics, and the ways in which each instrument was played were simple, but powerful. 

Once again, I allowed myself to be lost in the song and its meaning. I also found myself unable to hold back from singing along. 

As the song came to an end, I heard low clapping coming from the door. I immediately turned to see Kyle standing there. His expression was unreadable, but he then snapped out of whatever trance he was in and his signature smirk once again graced his face. 

I rolled my eyes as I removed the strap of the bass, returning the instrument to where it once was. 

"That was really good, Carter." He slowly made his way over to me. I ignored him, opting instead to reach for my bag. Somehow he ended up right next to me, and I could tell, purely based on how overpowering his scent was.

"I told you to tone it down with the cologne, Fletcher." I said, brushing past him. Unfortunately for me, he couldn't take the hint that I was truly not in the mood to talk to him.

"Hey, I mean it, you were really good." He looked deep into my eyes and sounded so genuine. I quickly turned to look away, because I could feel my cheeks burning up.

"I know, that's why I'm at this school." I tried to sound as nonchalant as possible, hoping he wouldn't catch on to how blushy he was making me. 

I walked out of the room and he instantly followed me, digging his hands into his pockets. I can't say I was completely mad at the way we were walking together in silence. But of course he had to go and ruin it.

"Why are you here so early?" He asked, broke the silence.

"I could ask you the same thing." I tilted my head to the side, a hint of amusement in my voice.

"Couldn't sleep." He shrugged.

"So you came to school... early?" I asked, finally allowing myself to laugh at how ridiculous he sounded.

"Yup." There was such finality in the answer. He didn't seem like he wanted to give me a further explanation and I accepted that. I guess he would have been branded the "mysterious one" in the band, because I don't think people really knew much about him. I mean, of course fans knew his surface level persona, but I don't think he actually let people know know him. His walls were immensely high.

"I occasionally like to come in early to play the drums. I have an electric set at home, but it's just not the same, ya know." I paused, but then decided to throw a little jab at Kyle.
"I guess you only came in when I was playing the bass, so, knowing you, you probably don't even believe I play the drums, but I do." I nudged him slightly.

He let out a laugh and nudged me back. "I have no reason not to believe you."

I stopped in my tracks, crossed my arms and raised my eyebrows at him. He looked at me and then laughed once again, as though he had just remembered that the last time I told him I played drums, he actively chose not to believe me and questioned why I was even at Westlake.

"Fine, I wouldn't have believed you, but luckily, I heard you play." 

I was beginning to like the sound of Kyle's laugh. Well, at least this laugh. It wasn't his usual arrogant or deliberate laugh, it was literally just the sound of his amusement. Right in that very moment, something in me clicked. Maybe, deep down I wanted to be Kyle's friend. I enjoyed these moments, where he wasn't his usual douche bag self. Sure our dynamic was full of banter, but I liked the fact that he never fully took offence to the things that I said. 

Now, don't get me wrong, I had no romantic feelings for Kyle, but for the first time, I could actually see us being friends.

"Stalker." I said, immaturely sticking my tongue out at him. He was about to say something to me, when a young and shy looking girl approached him.

"I am so sorry to bother you, I know you're just trying to live a normal life and enjoy school and it's really rude of me to interrupt you, but I'm a really huge fan of Crash and Burn and I couldn't live with myself knowing that you were at my school and I hadn't at least come to say hi to you once- and woah I've just completely embarrassed myself. Again, I am so so sorry for bothering you, please ignore me and enjoy the rest of your day." She spoke very hurriedly, her face turning an indescribable shade of red.

Kyle smiled down at her and stuck his arms out for a hug.

"Aw come here, you're not bothering me." He truly sounded like he meant it. She instantly went in for the hug, and quite honestly, I didn't know what to do with myself.

"What's your name?" He said, once they pulled away. 

"Violet." Her voice was shaky and she looked up at him as though he had hung up all the stars in the sky.

"Well Violet, I'm Kyle and it's very nice to meet you." Again, he sounded so genuine. Being the skeptic I am, I couldn't tell if he actually meant it or this was a niceness that had been drilled into him from years of being part of a boyband.

"Is it alright if we take a picture? I mean I completely understand if you don't want to." She sounded so unsure of herself.

His face lit up. "Yeah, we totally can." 

The girl, Violet, pulled out her phone and her hand was shaking, which I knew would be horrible for the photo. I totally understood being a fan - I had waited hours to meet My Chemical Romance right before their hiatus, so I knew the value of a photo.

"I'll take it for you." I offered - she instantly passed me her phone and thanked me profusely. They did the classic arm around the shoulder pose and I snapped the photos.

"Now do a funny one." I said. She lifted her arms up and shrugged while Kyle pulled a weird face.

"One more, but do a better hug." I said and they did as they were told. The photos were what I would have wanted to have if I had met my favourite band.

Violet thanked both Kyle and I once again, and tried to contain herself as she walked away in the opposite direction, scrolling excitedly through her phone.

"You know, sometimes I forget you're famous." I said.

"You seemed to remember, that one time you caused fans to swarm that yoghurt shop." He raised his eyebrows and I chuckled at the memory. That was probably one of my finest moments. Back when I hated Kyle with a burning passion

"Also, I'm pretty sure she knows your name, so you really didn't have to introduce yourself." 

"Well she told me her name, so it would've been pretty weird if I didn't tell her mine, Carter." Kyle said, matter-of-factly. I guess introducing himself was his way to maintain a sense of normalcy in his abnormal life. 

"If you say so." I said with a laugh, walking into our homeroom. Kyle smiled back at me, as he let me through the door first. 

Natasha and the rest of the Crash and Burn boys were already sitting in our usual area, when we waked in. James looked confused and Natasha was beaming from ear to ear. She was probably just happy to see that for once Kyle and I didn't look like we wanted to kill each other.

"Hey Bells." James said softly as I took a seat beside him.

"Hey." I smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: THREW IN THAT ENDING TO MAKE SURE Y'ALL REMEMBER THAT MY BOI JAMES IS STILL THERE, DESPITE THAT REALLY SOFT KYLE/ANNABELLE MOMENT

Thank you all so much for reading and messaging me and commenting, I really do appreciate it !!!!!!!

also Violet's interaction with Kyle is inspired heavily by what happened to me when I met one of my favourite singers ever (so cringe, but he was an angel)

vote, comment and I'll be updating soon!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.1K 824 13
(Rewriting) Tired of reading same old cliche teen romance where the good girls falls for the bad boys and the bad boys falls for the good girls? And...
82K 1.6K 35
Add in a normal, sarcastic apparently "different" high school girl and "the" hot, popular douchebag of a high school player, and voila : there you go...
8.2K 238 20
a damaged boy catches the attention of a weird girl, what could go wrong? // completed 8/10/2015: #685 in short stories. :3
192 2 21
Charlie Steenkamp was boring, she tried hard in school, she didn't get in trouble and was a model student. But when she gets sent away to boarding sc...