Life and Death-1

By Vampirediaries1996

Saving lives is all I wanted to do in life but something harder than a open heart surgery is protecting your... More

Here Comes My Future
Friends and Tequilla
Getting Used to Chaos
Blossoming Friendships and Judy Dolls
Saving Cristina
Opening Up
Thanksgiving and More
Gaining Understanding
Drama in Medicine
Holiday's and Pain
Changes
Defusing
Heartbreak
Challenging Authority
One Moment
Compromising for the Heart
Denny
Going Up in Flames
Finding Peace at Work
Transformation
Hesitate
Chief and Toxic Blood
Ferryboat Crashes
Starting Fresh
Jane Doe
Intern Exam Prep and Penis Fish
Wedding Prep
Intern Test and Bachelorette
Wedding End
Resident Year
Reliving
Old Dogs Learning New Tricks
Here Comes Trouble
Mother Dearest
Cheating Scandals
Open Hearts
Pushing People Away
Finding the Right Partner
Crashing of the Heart
Handling Stress
Competition and Bears
Prize
Oh Father
Understand
Filling Out Forms
Seeking Help
Decisions
Choice is Yours
Moving Out
Growing Up Slowly
Coming Back from War
Open Hearts and Minds
Worth It All
No Sadie No Problem
Solo Surgery
Here Comes Mrs. Shepherd
Accidents
Crossing a Line
Life Choices
Cancer and Faith
Three Simple Words
Trying for Normalcy
Working Towards Forever
Accidents Happen
Gen's Family
Coming Home to a Battlefield
Starting Stressed
Staying on Edge
Destruction of Host
Mistakes Happen
25 Million Dollar Worry
A Storm is Coming
Hell is Freezing Over
Hurricane Sloan is Here
Holiday Storms
Raising Hell
L.A. Rush
Big Steps
Surgery or Love
We're Good People
Letting it Out
Moving Forward to Normal
Surprises
Never Again
Working Towards Happiness
Short-Lived Happiness
It Should Have Been a Better Life
Is This the End?

Importance of the Truth

8.8K 233 75
By Vampirediaries1996

Which Grey's couple is your favorite? I loved Arizona and Callie.

News broke on what Cristina and Burke have been doing since his return to surgery. Burke wasn't ready to go back to work as he had a tremor and never reported it so he and Cristina worked out how he would go undetected. Cristina performed all of his surgeries while he supervised and thought nothing wrong with it until it was George's father on the line. "Maybe she'll be on the look but don't touch patrol, too. At least I'd have some company." Izzie states as we all wait for our assignments in the locker room.

"Whatever she gets, I hope it's bad. Really bad."

"She made a mistake..."

"A mistake?" George cuts off Meredith.

"We all..."

"She was gonna let Burke...Burke with the shaky hand operate on my father." We all stop talking as Cristina enters the room. George won't stop looking at her.

"Could you stop looking at me like that? It's creepy, and it makes me feel like you haven't been fed." Alex, Izzie, and George leave and it feels like our tight-knit group is falling apart.

"How are you?" I ask Cristina.

"What do you mean?" She fires back at me.

"You and Burke. Are you okay?" I ask wanting her to know we're on her side. Cristina exhales loudly.

"We're existing in total silence."

"He's not talking to you?" Meredith asks shocked.

"I'm not talking to him either."

"I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

"Stop asking me that."

"We're making an effort here." I exclaim to her but Cristina is not having it.

"Please don't."

"Rounds started 30 seconds ago." Bailey's booming voice startles us. Meredith and I take off to join the rest of the group not wanting to upset Baily more than we already have.

"Dr. Bailey, can I have Grey?" Addison comes up to our group. I keep my distance from her needing to forget about the messy taste in men we have.

"You can have 'em all."

__________________________________
The first patient is none other than George's dad. "Hi mom."

"Honey, oh." George's mom greets him and the tension is felt. "I put out some breakfast in case you kids haven't eaten yet." Mrs. O'Malley tells us as she fixes George's collar on his coat.

"Score."

"Karev." Bailey keeps Alex from pigging out.

"Hey, ready for the big day, pops?" George's brothers enter the room chipper than ever.

"Mm food." They go to devour the food making animal-like noise and spilling things to the floor.

"All right, let's make this fast, people. I have a day. Which one of the interns is mine?" Dr. Hahn asks us and we're all ready to present.

"It's me!" Alex beats us to it first. "He's family, and she's a candy stripper and sorry Gen but you do better with brain's and babies."

"I'm ready." Izzie defends herself.

"I am excellent. I know all of the procedures forward and backward I..."

"What if you did pick me? What if you picked me?" George states cutting me off but that just causes his brothers to join in as well.

"Pick me!"

"Guys! This is serious." George cuts off his brothers.

"Yang." Bailey calls out surprising us all.

"What?"

"Dr. Hahn, Cristina is very good with cardio. I'm sure you can use her for the day." Bailey hands Cristina the chart. "What are you waiting for, Yang? Present the case." Bailey orders her.

"Harold O'Malley, 63, diagnosed with esophageal cancer and severe aortic regurge. Is scheduled for aortic valve replacement this afternoon."

"Dude I wanted that surgery and she hands it to Yang. I haven't had a cardiac case in ages." Alex complains to me.

"You literally said I'm good with brains and babies."

"But you are. I mean you're great at everything but I wanted this case." I shake my head at Alex.

"It's not a case. It's my father." George corrects Alex.

"You wouldn't have had it anyway George. You were unprofessional in that room."

"I was unprofessional? She..."

"I guess there's a double standard now. Yang does something wrong, and she gets rewarded. That's fair." Izzie states with annoyance.

"Yeah."

"Babies." I state to them and Bailey stops us in our tracks.

"If you thumb suckers don't stop whining, I swear I won't show you what's behind this door, and trust me, you want to see what's behind this door." Bailey opens the door but we were not prepared for what is before us.

"Excuse me, doctors, you're gonna have to wait a few minutes."

"He's gotta pee, every five minutes, he gotta pee."

"I've always had a small bladder."

"I can't live like this any longer." Twin adults conjoined together is something we've definitely never seen.

"You? I'm the one who has to put up with your whining."

"Like the whining, you're doing right now?" The twins waddle to the bathroom bickering and we're standing there with our mouths gaped open.

"Now which one of you thinks that Yang got the better case?" Bailey asks us but all we can do is smile. "That's what I thought."

"Jake and Peter Witzman, 35-year-old pygopagus conjoined twins attached at the lumbosacral junction." Bailey reads off to Shephard, Mark, and the Chief.

"But not for long, right, Dr. Webber?" Jake asks.

"The Weitzman's came about six months ago, for a separation procedure. They opted out because of the risk." The Chief explains to us.

"Pete chickened out." Jake states to Pete.

"Well, forgive me for wanting to live longer. Even if it meant living with you." Pete fires back.

"Yeah? Well, you wasted six months of our lives..."

"Oh come on."

"Thank you very much."

"Stop it."

"You guys came back at the right time. We just scored New York's top plastic surgeon." I glare at Alex and he just smiles.

"Mark Sloan, plastics and you remember Dr. Shepherd, your neurosurgeon." Mark and Derek have a difficult time shaking the Weitzman's hands.

"We, uh, we used to work as a team, actually." Mark explains with pride but Derek doesn't seem too thrilled.

"We worked together, we were never actually a team." Derek corrects him.

"I hear ya." Jake exclaims.

"Mr. Weitzman?" George asks.

"Call me Jake."

"Call me Pete." The twins say at once it's a little daunting.

"Jake, Pete, uh, why...do you mind we asking why now when you thought the procedure was too risky six months ago?"

"Well..." Jake stops as the door opens and a blond woman stands in the doorway.

"Guys. Whoa. That's a lot of doctors. I'm just gonna come back later."

"No, no, no, no, no. Elena come in, come in." Jake urges her. "You wanted to know why now. This is why...the love of my life...Elena." We all keep a neutral face but how does this happen?

"Jake, don't I...I told him not to do this, not for my anyway, 'cause that's just crazy. "Cause Pete said that they could end up paralyzed. They could end up dead." Elena informs us of all of their relationship dynamics.

"What do you tell her things like that for? Jake complains to his brother.

"I wasn't telling her. I was telling you. She just happens t be the only one who listens to me." Pete defends himself.

"She happens to be right." Derek sides with Pete and Elena.

"Do you know what it's like to have to be stuck to the same person..."

"Here we go." Pete is annoyed already with Jake.

"Every...that's right. Here we go."

"Here we..."

"Do you know what it's like to have to be with the same person every minute of every day, to not have anything that's just yours, not to be able to do anything on your own?" Jake asks us and we have nothing to tell him. "Well, nobody should have to live like that."

"What do you think, Pete?" Derek asks the brother who seems the most against the procedure.

"I think why would I want to be attached to someone who doesn't want to be attached to me?"

"I'm calling it. It's mine." Alex calls dibs.

"I have two brothers. I feel their pain." George offers.

"I have seven siblings most of whom are girls around the same age so I know the pain well." I add my case to Bailey pile.

"I would be great at watching this."

"Zip it, all of you." Bailey tries to silence us but it only makes us more excited.

"We're on the case right?" Alex asks.

"Right." We cheer as Bailey gives us the case.

"Awesome."

"Stevens, you are to..."

"Look and not touch or speak or breathe. I got it." Izzie finishes for Bailey.

"So this is the crack team, huh?" Mark stands closest to me and I avoid his gaze.

"Feel free to take one."

"How about I take the one that doesn't touch or speak or breath"

"Right."

"Damn it." Alex is bummed but I'm happy Mark didn't want me which is something I didn't think I would ever find myself saying. Izzie follows after Mark finally feeling like she might learn something. Oh how wrong she is. Mark makes you work for his brilliance. He doesn't give it like other mentors.

__________________________________
Izzie, George, and Alex are still holding a grudge against Cristina for her part in helping Burke. I understand their frustration it is valid but they need to remember what it means staying by your friends through thick and thin. Judging them at their lowest is not the support we need to be giving her right now. Breakfast has no resorted to the silence between the four of us in the house. "Izzie." George calls out and I look up from my copy of Gone with the Wind.

"What?"

"I just dropped $8.7 million on the floor."

"And?" I place my book down staring at her.

"I shouldn't be able to drop $8.7 million on the floor." George hits Izzie's newspaper making her look at him. "You need to deposit that check."

"George, your father's surgery is tomorrow. Any chance you're misplacing your anxiety on me and my check."

"No, there is no chance."

"Maybe just a little." I ask him and George glares at me.

"That check ruins my morning every morning. It belongs in the bank. Would you just please as a favor to me...would you just...put it in the bank? Please?"

"Mm...no. But...if you're nice to me, for the next seven minutes I will give you a ride to work." Izzie negotiations and I can't help but laugh.

"So you weren't going to give us a ride today?" I ask her and she drinks her coffee.

"You don't deserve $8.7 million!" George yells at her shoving the check-in her field of view.

"Mm. So true. So true."

__________________________________
"You did what?" Alex and I are having one of our friend date nights where we go get some food and vent to one another about everything.

"I had an almost kiss with McHot." He whispers to me. I hit his shoulder hard. "OW!"

"I can't believe you."

"It's not like I purposely did it. It just happened."

"Why were you...uh, you know I shouldn't even be mad but..." I hit his shoulder again. "But here I am mad."

"Want to talk about it?"

"Mark said it was a mistake letting me go and he keeps flirting with me and Addison like it's no big deal. My head and my heart are telling me two different things and..."

"Dude you're in love with him." I look at Alex and I know I can't lie to him.

"I don't want to be. I want to move on from him but having him back here...it's making me fall for him more."

"Will you?"

"What?"

"Will you fall for him?"

"I don't want to Alex. I...he's hurt me more than I've ever been hurt and...I don't want to."

"I don't know what about Addison is so...inviting but...she's intelligent, beautiful and she has this thing about her that is drawing me in."

"I shouldn't judge you for being attracted to her. I loved being on her service until I found out about her connection to Mark."

"Mark doesn't know what he missed." Alex brings me into a hug and it makes me feel better. He's my safety net in this crazy world. "If you hadn't lost the baby what would you have done?"

"I would have raised my baby and..."

"Would you have told him?"

"Yes." I state because I know how much family means to Mark. His parents were never there for him and he desperately wanted one of his own. He hides behind being an ass to mask his fear of not being good enough. "Mark despite everything about him would have made an excellent dad."

"You really were in love with him."

"You may not see it because of how he treats you but he is a good guy."

"Don't let him go back on how you feel. Not saying you should hate the guy forever or anything but...stay strong with your beliefs."

"Want to help me with that?" I ask him.

"Help me with that stitch and I'm all yours."

"Deal."

__________________________________
George's dad's condition is worse than we thought. The cancer has spread and the surgery is so risky the chance of success is so low. Everyone is on edge today and on top of that Meredith's estranged father and his new family have been in the hospital for sister Meredith didn't know about. Meredith has been on her half-sister's service despite no one but her dad and his wife knowing about her. I can't imagine the stress she's been going through. It makes me feel my problem with Mark is nothing.

Bailey has me on Addison's service today but I can't find her anywhere. I stop as I approach the corner recognizing the voices. "If you had the baby, we'd be together in New York right now. It wouldn't be raining, and even if it was, we wouldn't care because we'd be together. We'd be together and I'd have a family instead of walking pneumonia and an ex-best friend who hates me." All air leaves my lungs as I process what I just overheard Mark say to Addison.

"You didn't want to raise a child, Mark. You wanted to trump Derek. You wanted to win." That's where she is wrong. She knows nothing about Mark.

"Don't make this my fault. You didn't want a baby."

"No, I did want a baby, Mark. That last woman you slept with before I left New York...Charlene, the peds nurse? I...did you think that she was the only one I knew about? You're rewriting history, Mark. We wouldn't still be together. We weren't a great couple. And you would've made...a terrible father, Mark. I did want a baby. I did. I just...I just didn't want one with you." Addison goes to leave but is stopped by me.

"You have no right to tell him that."

"Benoist I..."

"No I think we're all on a first-name basis." I stop her from bullshitting her way through this. "I lost my baby and I didn't know I was pregnant. But I do know this. Mark is a manwhore and can be a dick but...he would have made an amazing father."

"I..."

"Dr. Bailey wanted me to inform you that OR 2 is ready for your afternoon surgery." I leave both of them even though I hear my name being called. I owe them nothing.

__________________________________
It's been a horrible day. George's father never woke up from surgery and we're all hoping the best for the O'Malley's but the possibility of recovery is slim. George is staying overnight at the hospital to be with his family. Izzie is busy baking to her heart's content and I'm trying not to feel like a complete bitch for being so distant from my family. We all have our issues but they do love me. I need to do more to have them in my life because watching George go through has reminded me that life is so short. Someone knocks on my door and I put down my book. "Hey." Meredith leans against my doorway.

"Hey."

"Someone's downstairs for you."

"What?"

"Just go." She states to me. I head down the stairs but stop as I see who's waiting for me.

"What are you doing here?" I ask Mark who looks out of place.

"You never told me how you lost the baby." I usher us outside to talk on the front porch for some privacy.

"Why are you..."

"Addison told me about what you confined to her when you didn't know who she was. I...you never told me how."

"I didn't feel like you needed to hear it." I wrap my arms around myself.

"The moment Addison told me she was pregnant I bought a Yankees onesie. I made plans for the future on what I was going to do to change myself to be the best father. I wanted a life with her."

"I could tell." I state not feeling comfortable with this conversation.

"I left you because I didn't want to ruin you. You have so much potential for greatness and I never wanted to get in the way of that. I thought by letting you go that you would flourish."

"In a way I am but it has nothing to do with you. I know I am stronger than what others give me credit for. I lost my baby but that doesn't define me. I'm repeating my intern year but I'm kicking ass in one of the hardest and most rewarding surgical programs in the country! I am brilliant despite the shit you put me through."

"Why did you leave?"

"I'm surprised you noticed my absence."

"That's the selfish part of me. I wanted both of you but chose only one."

"My mother had me committed to a rehab facility for those suffering from trauma."

"She did that to you?"

"Didn't have a choice. She saw me mentally and physically unfit to live a normal healthy life."

"I'm sorry I put you through so much pain."

"Mark, I don't want to hate you because I do love you. Addison was wrong to say you would have made a horrible father but then again you were wrong for cheating on her numerous times." Mark hangs his head low. "I will be cordial and professional with you Mark but...that's all I can do because it's taking everything I have and more to keep myself together. I'm not throwing anything away for you. So thank you for coming by and all but...I'll see you at the hospital." I go to head inside but Mark reaches out and grabs my arm.

"As I said, this was my mistake and I have to live with it." It's hard to let go but thankfully he releases my hand. I quickly head inside but that doesn't stop me from watching him leave.

Don't worry Gen is not getting back with Mark. For now maybe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42K 1.1K 22
"I think we're going to have to be secretly in love with each other and leave it at that." (discontinued) SLOW UPDATES ...
3.8M 14.5K 9
all angels are doomed to fall. ⇥ grey's anatomy ⇥ seasons one ━ nine ⇥ ma...
82.6K 1.5K 125
You are Y/n Sloan, little sister of Mark Sloan. You are 26 years old and have been in the army helping out doctors as you wanted to help others after...
89.7K 1.8K 40
Now a Neurosurgeon fellow Dr. Sienna Connors is now looking for the perfect hospital to work at during her fellowship year and she hopes to become an...