Love & Loss

By cannoness

ATTENTION: This is the SECOND book of my Vampire's Pet series and cannot be read as a stand alone book. ~~~ ... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
What's to Come
Update
Physical Copies!!

Chapter 64

135K 6.4K 1.3K
By cannoness

Marcus' POV:

My room was silent.

Uncomfortably so.

So many things have happened in such a short amount of time and it didn't feel like I had caught up to all of these new changes.

And the result of that left me laying at the foot of my bed and staring up at the ceiling.

Nico and Khloe were gone for the day, and I hadn't seen Carlo since that incident with the Lord.

And now with Nico's sudden panic, Khloe and I were set to be free from this castle within a couple days.

According to Nico, freed into a fully furnished house with enough money to last us more than a lifetime.

Which itself seemed like a dream come true, but something still didn't sit right with me.

Whether it was just nerves of shifting from a slave my whole life to a normal citizen, or some other underlying worry I wasn't quite sure yet.

One thing I was definitely sure of was the sorrow that sat unmoving in my chest at this news.

Knowing that I might never see Doe or Carlo again, and not even having the ability to tell them what was happening.

But if it meant safety for both Khloe and I...

I released a long breath, effectively sagging deeper into the bed.

Time seemed to be going by a lot slower ever since this news was given to me, yet I couldn't do anything but sit and wait for something to happen.

My body instinctively shot up into a sitting position at the sound of a knock at my door.

It was familiar... It was Carlo.

I practically bolted to the door, opened it, dragged him in, and closed it within a matter of seconds.

He didn't have time to express his surprise before I spoke.

"Nico would kill you if he spotted you on this floor!" I scolded in a harsh whisper, despite the fact that I knew that he wasn't even here.

Carlo didn't know that.

At least I hope he didn't.

"I know, I know," He responded through heavy breaths.

It was then that I noticed his hard breathing and slumped at all.

"Did you run here?" I questioned, my voice softening from what it was previously.

"A little bit, yeah," he spoke, clearing his throat before he straightened himself, " I just wanted to make sure you were, y'know, okay. I hadn't... heard or seen you since the Lord... and I got scared that maybe he did something to you. He's still using you as leverage but I just didn't know if you were uninjured." His usually carefully controlled voice slipped a few times.

It made that sorrow in my chest get worse.

If it had only been days since then, what would he think when I completely disappear without a word?

"Carlo..." I began, but any other words escaped me for a moment.

Part of me wanted to take this moment to be sentimental, but deep down I knew it wouldn't change anything.

And him setting his hand on my shoulder didn't exactly help.

I just needed to make it through these last days without incident.

"He already has you on another death mission?" I asked.

Lord Vanderwood did say he expected Nico to find out about what was happening, so I guess it was only expected for him to have another plan right off the bat.

Carlo let out a half-hearted laugh.

"Yeah. I guess you could call it that."

That was exactly what I was calling it because that was exactly what I saw it as.

Nico was on edge already, so who knows what he'd do to Carlo if he caught him in the act of somehow getting to Khloe.

I only barely managed to keep Carlo's life with him the first time, and something told me the odds of that happening again were dangerously low if there at all.

I just needed him to not put himself in that situation and hope that Khloe and I can get out before he makes a move.

"Why are you still doing this?" I asked.

His brows rose at the pleading tone of my voice, "I told you already. Lord Vanderwood is still using you as leverage."

"He was using me as leverage before, but you backed down once Nico promised my protection." I tried to reason.

"That was before this situation got worse."

"Nico's offer still stands, Carlo," I explained, my bottom lip beginning to tremble at the thought of this situation's worst-case scenario, "He told me that."

"He could be lying."

"He's not."

"How can you be so sure?"

I drew back a minute, suprised by the sudden venom in his voice.

"Because I trust him!"

"Well I dont!"

"Then trust me!" I begged.

If anything I just needed him to sit tight for three more nights, then Khloe and I will be out of harm's way.

He looked me over for a few moments, hopefully listening to what I said.

Although my hope for that vanished as he looked off to the side with a small sigh.

"I want to," He admitted, "I want to trust you. I know that he can ensure your safety better than I can and I want to trust your words that he will, but it's hard to trust you about your safety when all you've done so far is try to sacrifice yourself."

His words stung more than they probably should have.

But I couldn't exactly say that he was wrong.

That was my intention at first, yes.

"Things have changed since then." I choked out, "That was back when I was trying to make sure this situation didn't reach Nico. Back when I was constantly trying to keep you and Khloe out of harms way."

I guess saying it out loud, this situation dosnt seem much different.

The only difference was tht Nico knew and had a solution.

But still the threat was there, and the previous stress that I had been relieved of was finding itself within me again.

The frustrated and worrisome tears that were flooding my eyes fell as tears of panic.

"There's no way in Hell that Khloe will be unguarded and at this point I know that if cached even a fragment of your scent any where near her he will kill you and I can't stand the thought of that knowing that you died because of me when I was protected to begin with!"

It's like this whole thing started over but this time the stakes were so much higher and the time limit was so much shorter.

I barely even realized that Carlo had pulled me towards him before I found my head on his shoulder and my hands grasping the back of his shirt.

The small jesture of comfort caused me to lose it entirely.

Though, I'm guessing part of it was the sorrow before hand bubbling over with the rest.

"I can't do this again, Carlo," I admitted.

"Then don't," He began, " I know there's a miniscule chance of me succeeding, I know it's basically a lost cause."

"Then why try? Why risk it?!"

He breathed out a small laugh, still trying to keep that cheerful demeanor I adored.

"Why risk your life protecting the heir's pet when you don't know what the Lord wants with her?" He countered.

I stayed silent, knowing that we were both too stubborn to quit.

I couldn't argue with him when our reasoning were so similar.

"Because we fear the worst possible outcome," He answered for me,"we fear the thought of the worst happening, knowing that we could have possibly stopped it if we tried."

God how much I wish I could tell him what was happening.

That I would be safe if he just waited.

Yet somehow I doubt even that would stop him.

"Can you at lease hold off? Just for a little bit?"

"Hold off?"

I sniffed, leaning back to meet his eye.

"Promise me that you won't attempt anything... For at least the next three days. Just so I don't have to constantly stress about this for a short bit. Your deadline isn't for a while, right?"

His eyes strayed from mine as he chewed the corner of his bottom lip.

"As much as I want to give you at least that, I'm afraid that I can't. Lord Vanderwood actually... shortened my deadline."

My breath just about stopped in my throat.

"To when?" I managed to get out.

He hesitated, debating whether or not to actually tell me.

Then against all previous odds he actually answered me.

"The end of this week."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 76 37
(( NOW AVAILABLE TO BUY ON AMAZON)) Vampire love story with lots of twists and turns, I hope you enjoy it!! Life wasn't too bad for Willow, she had j...
31.2K 821 25
* Vampire x Human au * THIS BOOK CONTAINS MATURE CONTENT LIKE SEXUAL LANGUAGE/ CONTENT AND VIOLENCE, RAPE, MENTION OF BLOOD In a world where vampires...
21.8M 864K 84
this story contains adult content!!!! read at own risk. I glared at the vampire before me, pressing myself against the bars of my 'cage' before dro...
1M 39.7K 35
"Hello, are you there ?" "Yes, I am. I will always be there." "Can I ask you something?" "Sure my love." "Why don't I feel scared of...