Treacherous Love

By rainchellread

Raichelle was living carefree. Working in her dream profession, engaged to the love of her life and happily e... More

Bliss
Considerate
Skeletons
Take care
Painful safe place
Stop The Madness
Get Away (part 1)
Get Away (part 2)
Impromptu dinner
Back to the norm?!
Doubting happiness
Nightmare
Head Games
Play Time
Girl Talk
On the Move
White Range Rover
Our Child
Family First
You Mean the World to Me
Will It Always be Like This
Guilty Rendezvous
Intimacy
We Can Make This Work
Celebrate
Celebrate (part 2)
Aftermath
Reminiscing
Remenising (part II)
Hired Help
Keeping Him Happy
So Disrespectful
The End

A Piece of the Puzzle

31 4 0
By rainchellread

Walking into the dimly lit hospital room I started wringing my hands together and I bit my lip. I could hear the alerts of the machines he had hooked up to him. Everything seemed to move in slow motion as I made my way closer to the bed. Our favorite tv show "House" was playing on the large flatscreen hooked up to the wall and his bed was turned slightly (I assume) so that he could see the view from the large bay windows.

"Ahum ahum...." I cleared my throat so that I could announce my entrance. I wasn't exactly sure how to address him at this point, or honestly even if he would want to see me. He didn't turn his head to me and that kinda stung for a quick moment until I saw the shape he was in. As I finally made it to the front view of him my chest felt suddenly tight, my jaw dropped and my eyes grew three times as big. I was literally speechless! Malik was a handsome man and to see him like this was ridiculous. I felt like shit! "What the fuck are you here for?!" Out of all the different ways I expected this to go in my mind that statement was far from anything I imagined. My eyebrows knit together and I closed my lips tightly and lowered my head a hit to calm the tears that I felt coming on. I concentrate on my breathing because although his words were harsh he was like this because of me and I had to understand and be patient with him. "Rai" His voice (though I could still hear the harshness of it) was low and shaky, almost as if he wanted to yell at me but was being strangled so it wouldn't come out clearly. Slowly I raised my head to meet his swollen and battered face. He wore a neck brace, his nose had some sort of gauze on it, there was a patch covering his left eye with bandages covering the majority of his cheek and jaw. There were bruises that covered the right side of his face and a small bandaid above his right eye near his eyebrow. "I...just...just needed...to..umm... to know...to know that you were umm... " I stuttered but couldn't complete the sentence when my gaze left his face and dropped to his arm which was in a sling and bandages covered the hand that Maurice ordered to have mutilated. "I don't need your fucking pity now!! I could've used your help when the bastard wa...." He began sounding strained and suddenly burst out in a violent coughing fit. My eyes widened and I rushed over to where the water pitcher and cup with a straw was sitting on the side table. Leaning very gently on the side of the bed I pressed the straw to his lips, and watched him drink like a fish out of water. Once the cup was drained I set it back down watch him try to gather control with his eyes closed. His good hand was balled into a fist and his chest rose quickly. I could tell there were gauzes or bandages under the hospital gown near his stomach. He had washboard abs but the area was raised so it looked like he had a large belly. I wanted to look or ask, but decided not to. The covers were neatly folded back over his right ankle that revealed a large boot holding a bandaged foot. His other leg was suspended in the sir with a cast from his mid thigh all the way to his ankle.
I shuttered as the image popped in mind of that night and to see him laying here like this. I closed my eyes for a moment and took a few deep breaths as I tried to push the sounds of our combined screams from my mind. Once I regained my composure and I opened my eyes, he was staring at me with tears running down his face. I wanted to wipe his tears away, to hug him and kiss him, but where could I touch that wouldn't hurt? "Oh Malik" I grabbed his balled up fist and kissed the back of it. I rubbed it gently and we stared into each others eyes. The beeping sound if the machines told me that his heart rate had decreased from a few moments ago and his body had visibly relaxed. "Ok Mr.Dontelli, time for your...oh I apologize, I was unaware that he had visitors."

Clearing my throat I waved my hand at the nurse "No,no please I was just stopping by don't let me keep you from your job" I attempted to let go of his hand so I could leave, but he squeezed it "Stay?!" It sounded like more of a question. I shook my head and sat in the chair near the bed to get out of the nurse way. "Well I wanted to give Mr.Dontelli his meds and check his output and just basically make sure he was comfortable, but I could just give him his meds and come back to do the rest" She stated patiently while holding a small cup and syringe. Taking a good look at her my eyes flew wide open, but I lowered my head to hide my shocked expression. "No,no please. Malik, I promise I'll be back to visit, I gotta go. Let the nurse take care of you." I said I practically ran from his room and rushed to the elevator. I impatiently tapped my thigh as I waited for the metal doors to slide open. I took out my cellphone and dialed Regina as I stepped in "Fi..lly..I wa....to...." My phone was picking up static and then I lost service. Damn, I know this dude didn't buy me a cheap phone. It seemed like the elevator stopped on all 8 floors before I was able to push my way off and began sprinting to the entrance.

Impatiently I searched the area for Regina's truck before it pulled up in front of me. Just as i touched the handle I felt a someone kiss my cheek "Hello beautiful" I knew that voice. Turning I came face to face with Adonis. "Hey" I gushed and subconsciously smoothed my edges. "What are you doing here?" He gave me that smile and put his hands in his pockets. "I was gonna ask you that. You didn't respond to my message and when I saw you here I just wanted to come make sure everything was alright." I chuckled lightly. "Oh, yeah were good." I assured him placing my hand on my belly. "I was just visiting a friend" He nodded his head, but seemed to be preoccupied looking in a different direction. Curious I turned my head to see what caught his attention, but all I saw was a white range rover driving off. "Um is there something else you wanted Adonis?" I asked drawing his attention back to me. "You could agree to having a quick dinner with me" he quickly recovered and ran his hand slowly down my arm till he reached my hand and held it gently. Oh goodness! Lord help me! This man is so tempting. I licked my lips and gave him a shy smile. Trust me it was genuine because I was blushing. "I wish I could, but I've been on my feet for a few hours now and technically I'm supposed to be on bedrest. Can I take a rein check?!" His eyebrows knit together and he nodded his head in understand "Of course beautiful, you go home and get some rest, but just know imma hold you to that rein check." He sucked his bottom lip and let my fingers slip from his hand purposely brushing each one. I took a deep breath and we stared into each other eyes for a moment until Regina's voice brought me out of my trance "I hate to interrupt, but Rai you need to be getting home." Chuckling a bit I turned to open the door. Adonis helped me up into the truck and closed the door once I was situated. "Later beautiful. Hit me up later if you're not too busy." I waved goodbye and Regina didn't waste a minute fussing me out about the time I took, but it all I heard was "whomp whomp whomp" I was too busy thinking about that smile and his gentle touch. Then my phone rang. "Uh huh, see! That's probably him now trying to figure out where you are....." and she was going a mile a minute as I read the messages

1 hour
MAURICE: Where are you guys headed now?

38 minutes
Maurice: Have you stopped to have lunch?

1 minute
MAURICE:Rai WTF

Damn! I should've texted him back when he first text, but I was chilling with my cousin. Now it seems like I've been ignoring his messages and he's gonna have a fit. Well I can just tell him that the phone was in my purse, he has no reason to suspect anything different. Atleast I hadn't missed any of his calls.

RAI: My bad we were

The phone rang before I could finish the text. It was Maurice and he was face timing me. Smmfh....he is really doing too much. Regina probably figured out by now that I wasn't paying her any attention because she had stopped talking, but was now driving like a bat out of hell. I tapped my finger on the decline icon and put my head back closing my eyes. All the events of the day were starting to catch up to me and I was ready for a nap. When we finally pulled up to the house I didn't make any effort to move, I couldve just fell asleep in this very spot, but I knew Regina probably had other things to do. "Oh miss, dont be acting all scared to face the music now! I seen you ignoring that man's calls and texts, and you wonder why he cut up so bad when you say you going to chill with me!" I smacked my teeth and sighed loudly "He's different Gina" we didn't say anything else, she just cut the car off and rest her head back as well. "Sometimes I wonder if it would be better for us to just co-parent" I said breaking the silence. "Well as I said before, you gotta look at the situation as a whole sweetie. You know your always welcome to come stay with us." Breathing heavily I responded "Naw, thanks anyway, but I wouldn't inconvenience you like that. If it came down to it I would just stay with Lady while I looked for my own place." Regina turned her head to the right to look out her window and paused before speaking "Here come Maurice" I looked over my shoulder and saw him walking away from a white range rover just before it pulled off. I unbuckled my seatbelt and pushed the car door open. "I'll call you" I said while getting out of the truck. There were tons of bags in her trunk and backseat from our shopping trip, but I decided to leave those for Maurice and just went right into the house and headed for the bedroom. I went straight to the bathroom and released my bladder. While I was washing my hands my phone chimes with a text message.

ADONIS: For some reason you've been on my mind a lot lately.

After reading that I walked to the top of the stairs and looked over the banister to make sure that Maurice was still busy bringing the bags in before I responded.

RAI: I must admit that smile does haunt me. 🤩

ADONIS: The balls in your court beautiful. 😘

"Man you were serious about shopping huh? I can see why you didn't respond to any of my texts and calls, your hands were full." I rolled my eyes and put my phone on my nightstand and plugged it up to the charger. "I used to work so much I rarely got time to spend with my cousin, so we kinda lost track of time while we were out" It wasn't a lie, I did miss spending time with all my cousins. "That's wazzup. You didn't go anywhere else today?" A turned in his direction and he was taking off his shoes in the recliner. Why do I have to tell him everything I do and everywhere I go? It's like he thinks he's my freaking father or something. "I mean, we made a couple other stops, but mostly we spent the day at the spa and shopping. Why do you ask?" I stood in the bathroom doorway and waited for his answer. The bathtub was calling me. "Just asking." I could see him nodding his head as he responded nonchalantly. "What Maurice? What is the problem" I asked sighing loudly and leaned against the doorframe. "I'm asking you about your day, you have a issue with that now? Shit.. if you would've answered my messages or calls we wouldn't be having this conversation now right" shaking my head "Whatever Maurice." I closed the door and started cleaning the tub. I am not about to argue with this dude about him not knowing my every move. I'm a grown ass woman, my father is six feet under and my mother doesn't clock me like this. He's definitely not about to. "Yo don't walk away from me while I'm talking to you. And why didn't you just ask me to clean out the tub instead of trying to be in here on your knees like this!" I threw the sponge in the tub and gripped the side to help balance me as I stood. "Maurice you seem to have mistaken fiance with father. I am a grown woman that can go anywhere I want without permission and do anything I like. I damn sure don't anyone to clean out a tub for me just because I'm pregnant! You got me fucked up!" Pointing his finger in my face "Watch your mouth, I don't who the hell you think you talking to like that. This pregnancy is seriously going to your head. While your in that bath I suggest you take that time to get your mind right, cause you pushing it." Chuckling I turned away from him to grab the shower head to rinse the tub out n he grabbed my arm. "You gone stop dismissing me" l look at him like he was crazy and snat he'd my arm away scrunching my face up. He raised his eyebrows and his phone rang. I continued preparing my bath as he checked his phone. "This is not over Rai" he informed me as he exit the bathroom and closed the door to answer his call. "Yeah, go talk to that bitch like that cause with me you got the wrong one." I mumbled to myself as I started picking out my bath bombs and pouring scrub into the tub.
Once I got my bath ready and put my clothes on the hamper I picked up my phone and called the hospital. Since I highly doubt Malik could respond to messages or even answer his phone I called the receptionist on his floor and left a message for him. "Please just let him know that Raichelle called to check on him and that I would be back to visit as soon as I can get a free moment. Thank you so much" I was both relieved and saddened. After what I saw that night in the basement I was sure Maurice would've killed him so I was relieved to know he didn't. Seeing him that way this afternoon saddened me, because it was all my fault. I did try to warn him that I should've just left and went to Ladys, but if I wouldn't have went there to begin with he would be living his normal life. Although for the life of me I couldn't figure out how he knew. I put my phone on the counter and played pandora station while I cleared my head and soaked. I rest head back on the bath pillow and closed my eyes. I don't care what Maurice says I'm going to be there for Malik, I just have to be careful how I go about it. I know Maurice has been putting his business matters off to be up under me and I know he can't continue to do that. I'll just have to go by myself when I know he'll be out of the house for a while.
When I finally got done in the bathroom and got dressed for bed Maurice had left the room. I was grateful because the previous conversation we were having I didn't care to continue. It was already dark outside, so I decided to just call it a night. Before I closed my eyes I sent two more text messages

RAI: Goodnight Lady, I love you to the moon and back 🥰❤

LADY: Goodnight babygirl. I love you to infinity and beyond 😘😘

RAI: I'll call you tomorrow, I think I can make some time for an early lunch

ADONIS: Sounds like a plan. Goodnight beautiful ❤😘

After saving Adonis number under COUSIN I deleted the thread, snuggled up in my covers and fell asleep rubbing my belly.

🥰😍😘❤
Hey guys! I hope your enjoying. Thanks for supporting me by reading. As always remember to comment, share and vote.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

148K 2.8K 8
This story is now a sample due to it being published on Amazon, Smashwords, Googleplay and others. Things may not always be what they seem... Serenit...
96K 1.9K 33
In the bustling city of Melbourne, Cassalia and Blake are excited to embark on a new chapter of their lives with the hopes of having a smooth and del...
441 134 102
After unexpectedly giving birth to twins, Hayden is devastated to find that the baby she was expecting didn't make it. Convinced that the baby was mu...
46 0 10
How could you betray me like this?" I yelled, my voice echoing through the surroundings, my anger unfiltered. "You're my mate, the one person I never...