Lifeline

By ndallejoy

She clung to people. He ran from people. She was broken. He thought he could mend her. She lost a baby. ... More

Chapter 1; Stalker Ex
Chapter 2; It's Not a Date.
Chapter 3; Emily.
Chapter 4; My Hope.
Chapter 5; Thank you.
Chapter 6; Good night.
Chapter 7; Coffee Thingy.
Chapter 8; Friends.
Author's Note
Chapter 9; Meet the Chef.
Chapter 10; Meet Emily.
Chapter 11; It's Official.
Chapter 12; Dad!
Chapter 13; Idina Menzel.
Chapter 14; Loss.
Chapter 15; Lie.
Chapter 16; Daddy?
Chapter 17; Pure Bliss.
Chapter 18; Love at First Sight.
Chapter 19; Not Exactly.
Chapter 20; Diamonds, Bills and Parents.
Chapter 21; Secrets.
Chapter 22; Christmas Wishes.
Chapter 23; Time.
Chapter 24; Gone.
Chapter 25; Pain.
Chapter 26; Lifeline.
Chapter 27; Breakdown.
Chapter 28; Thanksgiving.
Chapter 29; Forgive me yet?
Chapter 30; I have a Girlfriend.
Chapter 31; Christmas Eve.
Chapter 32; For real this time...
Chapter 33; Afternoon After.
Chapter 34; New Year in LA.
Chapter 35; The Police.
Chapter 36; The Therapist (Part 1)
Chapter 37; Olivia.
Chapter 38; Emily's Birthday.
Chapter 40; The FiancΓ©e, Engaged?
Chapter 41; The Therapist(Part 2); Find your Parents.
Chapter 42; The Russells.
Chapter 43; Los Angeles.
Chapter 44; Warren King.
Chapter 45; Ethan's POV.
Chapter 46; Not Goodbye.
Chapter 47; I'm sorry.
Chapter 48; Baby.
Chapter 49; Marry me Again.
Chapter 50; Deal.
Chapter 51; Epilogue.
Author's Note...😭

Chapter 39; Meet the CEO.

3.5K 229 45
By ndallejoy

KENDRA'S POV.

I ended up crying my eyes out on the front porch as he drove off.

I had hurt him immensely, he had every right to be angry with me.

I was angry at myself.

Angry that I used him in such a terrible way.

Angry that I trusted Olivia so much that I told her everything, yet she sold me out as though it was nothing.

Angry that I may have possibly just lost the only man who loved me selflessly.

As I sat on my porch and cried, I couldn't help think of everything I'd just lost.

I was so deep in thought, I didn't realize someone stood in front of me.

He cleared his throat, and I thought maybe, just maybe, Ethan decided to give me another chance.

But as I looked up, I met the cold and disappointed eyes of Marc Devin.

Ethan's best friend.

He probably hated me just as much now.

"May I have a seat?" He asked politely, yet the anger in that little sentence was very evident.

Did he want to rub it in how much of a bad person I was?

Did he want to judge me?

I was so confused, I ended up not answering and he eventually took a seat.

"What you did was terrible." He begun, "All his life, Ethan barely had friends. When he tried, they always wanted something from him in return. I must admit, when he told me about you, you seemed like a breath of fresh air. You didn't treat him like a god, you didn't see him the way the world saw Ethan Veron." He sighed.

"Ethan is in love with you. I am so very sure of that. When you shunned him during the period of Emily's death, I watched him break, but today," he sighed again, "today he was destroyed."

"You know, his last girl friend, Natasha, she only wanted his money and his companies. She was the first to break Ethan. He became apprehensive of love since then. But, when he met you, I watched him let go and he gave you all of himself."

"I know he was wrong for keeping his identity away, for lying to you, but you have to understand people like Ethan. They're vulnerable. His world isn't like yours and unless you're in it, you wouldn't understand. He may have been dishonest about who he was, but there wasn't a moment where he didn't mean anything he did."

"You made some very terrible decisions which have hurt my best friend, but I don't want to think you're a terrible person. I've been in your shoes before," he paused, "Believe me when I say he's worth fighting for. Sort yourself out first, then go after him. Don't let him go." He stood up.

"What if he already let me go?" I croaked.

He looked down at me again, eyes still hard and angry.

"If you love him, you won't let him." As he finished, Jennifer walked out with a sleeping Lily in her arms.

She barely spared me glance, before asking Marc if they could leave.

I watched them leave and decided to go inside.

Once I stepped into the living room, my eyes connected with that of my mom.

In less than a minute, her palm connected with my left cheek throwing my head to the side.

"Emilia!" My dad yelled, holding her back.

Tears freely flowing down her beautiful face, she let her disappointment show.

"Where did I go wrong? Huh? Tell me Kendra!" She screamed in tears.

"I did everything for you, everything I could, I thought I raised you well. Since when did I teach you it was okay to use people?" She shouted.

"Answer me! Kendra where did I go wrong with you? Did I miss something? Just answer me!!"

Both sides of my face hurt.

Yet, I deserved the pain.

"Mom, I'm sorry." I cried out.

"Sorry doesn't change anything. I can't believe you." She stopped for a moment to sob loudly.

"I don't know you anymore. This person standing before me is not my daughter!"

"Mom I-"

"No! You're not my daughter. You are selfish, ungrateful and you were a terrible excuse of a mother."

I was hearing my world crumble before me.

"My daughter is none of those things and the mere fact that you are all of those things, only makes it clear how much of a stranger you are to me."

I was sobbing uncontrollably, begging for her forgiveness.

"Mom, please.." I fell to the floor holding unto her feet.

She couldn't leave me now. She couldn't. I couldn't take much more.

"I never want to see you again. And this time I mean it."

"Mom,"

"Emilia-" my dad and i spoke at the same time, "she's our daughter." He continued, avoiding my eyes.

Did I disgust my father that much?

"No! She's a stranger I wish to forget ever meeting." She begun to walk out but I clung tightly to her legs.

"Mom please, please don't do this, if you leave me I won't make it... mom... please don't go, I can't- I won't be able to take it... please.." I begged endlessly.

Yet, my own mother, the woman who brought me up merely took her leg out of my hold and destroyed me with her words.

"You should have thought of how that young man was going to feel when you used him. You deserve whatever is coming to you." Were her parting words as she left me on the floor.

My dad went after her, screaming her name whereas Grace seemed conflicted on whether she should hold me close or go with my mom.

I couldn't bear the look on her face, "Go! Just go! All of you go ahead and leave me alone!" I screamed startling her.

She eventually shook her head and walked out but I kept on screaming.

"All of you just leave. I'm a horrible human being. Just go!" I sobbed so loud, the neighbours could hear me.

Both my cheeks were in pain, my heart was hurting, my lungs, my feet, my hands, everything was in pain.

Why does it never end?

Why do I always get to be in pain?

I sobbed some more and I abruptly jerked when I felt something cold on my cheek.

I looked at the ice pack on my cheek connected to hand which was attached to a body.

"Kenna? You're still here?" I whispered.

Unlike everyone else, her strong gaze was focused on my confused one as she attended to me.

She didn't answer me.

She simply went ahead to help me up and place me on a stool in the kitchen.

She brought out some advil and a glass of water and placed them in front of me.

I silently took them, after which she handed me another ice pack before busying herself to clean up the place.

It was only after an hour of her cleaning that I decided to speak.

"Kenna?"

"Hmhm.."

"Why?" I asked out.

Everyone was simply disgusted by me and yet she stayed.

"Because." She stated.

I had run out of tears. I didn't have it in me to cry anymore.

"Thank you."

She looked up at me. Her eyes were soft before she spoke again.

"I know how it feels to be left alone you know," she laughed "unwanted, despised, and many other crude words I'd rather not utter out loud. Don't thank me, you're like my kid sister remember? And though I strongly disapprove of what you did, i can at least try to stay and make sure you're fine."

I couldn't help the smile that took over my face.

Here was someone, willing to stay by me even though I'd done something terrible.

I was grateful.

The days passed by in a blur.

A week to be exact.

I only kept on living.

Wake up, work, work more shifts, skip lunch, skip dinner, sleep, repeat.

It was a terrible way to live.

I had visited Emily's grave on her birthday, and though I didn't shed a tear, I let some of the hurt go.

My therapy sessions were now four times a week instead of just once in two weeks.

I needed to work on myself.

I was just about to skip lunch again, for the fifth time this week before Kenna stepped into my office.

"Hey,"

"Hey."

She took a seat.

"So... Remember that project we had with Veron enterprises?" She asked.

I stiffly nodded.

I wasn't sure where my feelings now stood with Ethan.

Dr. Cheryl my therapist and I had been working on my dependency.

And though she was convinced I had love and dependency mixed up, I knew without a doubt how much I loved Ethan.

"Well, you're part of the team going over this afternoon. Their PR (Public Relations) department want to have a word with us before we go on with the project." She finished.

I froze.

Going to Veron Enterprises meant seeing Ethan Veron.

Was I ready?

Did he miss me?

I missed him. Missed when his eyes shifted from grey to silver.

Missed when he smiled at me.

I missed everything about him and it hurt that he probably loathed me at the moment.

"That's what I came to talk to you about. I can have a word and go in your place instead, I know you're still hurt..." she tried.

But no.

I wanted to go.

I wanted to see him.

I didn't want to let go of him yet.

And that was how I found myself in a conference room of Veron Enterprises alongside six other doctors and members of their PR team.

After two and a half gruesome hours of do's and don'ts concerning the project, the meeting came to a close.

Just when everyone was about to leave, I managed to stop the PR manager.

She seemed to be a nice lady, what could be the harm in asking.

"Excuse me, ma'am."

She turned to me.

"Dr. Wilson right? OB/Gyn?" She asked.

"Yes."

"Nice to meet you, could I help you with anything?"

"It's a pleasure and yes, I wish to ask for a favour."

"Go ahead, and we'll see if I could be of help."

I took a deep breath.

"I was wondering if I could maybe meet the CEO? Eth- I mean Mr. Veron, if it's not too much to ask?" There! I finally said it.

She seemed surprised at my request but replied me nonetheless.

"That wouldn't have been much of a hassle except, Mr. Veron hasn't been in for the last two days."

"Oh!" I whispered.

"I'll be on my way if that's all."

I quickly nodded to which she smiled and left.

What did she mean by the last two days?

It had been seven days since I last saw him.

I didn't understand.

If he wasn't at work, then he had to be at home.

So with that thought in mind, after asking for the rest of the day off, I drove straight to his apartment.

I got in alright, luckily he hadn't taken my name out of the list of those who could visit him.

Security immediately granted me access.

Taking a deep breath I walked out of the elevator and stood in front of his door.

I used whatever strength I had left to knock on his door.

If only I had known what was going to happen after the door opened, I would never have knocked.

Hey guys... I'm not really happy with this chapter, I felt like I over rushed things.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

So, I recently found out that one of my very lovely readers is in Fiji.

So, let's do something...

I would love to know where you're reading this from.

So please, drop where you are and I'll be glad.

Please VOTE and COMMENT.

Love Joy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.9K 6.1K 71
He fell in love with the girl he had a one-night stand with. When her true nature revealed, he hated himself for loving her and decided never to see...
299K 8.5K 115
"Why did you do it Eli?!", I growl with tears falling down my cheeks. Eli just stares at me with no emotion and then looks down to the ground. "Fucki...
94.3K 1.7K 37
"The fuck you are leaving me." He snapped and growled at his mate. She was calm as she was ever be regardless of his snapping. She sighed and turned...
302K 7.1K 31
"Abort it." "Excuse me ?" "Abort that thing inside of you!" He shouts in my face. I put my hands on his chest trying to put some space between us...