Beneath The Orange Sunset ✔️

By Chomiewrites

Maxime Lacroix has a life twisting moment when he suddenly finds himself caught between surviving an accident... More

Author's note
One
2
3
4
Five
6
7
8
Nine
10
11
12
Thirteen
14
15
16
Seventeen
18
19
20
Twenty one
22
23
Twenty four
25
26
27
28
Twenty Nine
30
31
32
33
Thirty four
35
36
37
38
Award
Thirty Nine
40
41
42
43
44
45
Forty Seven
48
49
50
51
52
53
Fifty Four
Epilogue

46

253 25 17
By Chomiewrites

~46~

Rosewood park was about a mile and a half west of town, Samuel and Maxime went directly to it almost as if almost hypnotised by the text message.

Samuel kept getting the feeling that all of this was beyond his control and it frightened him in ways he'd never experienced. That morning, the entertainment daily had carried stories of a spectacular event in Provins, Emile Lacroix of the Lacroix empire - as the reporter put it - was spotted at a popular local DVF store. She was dressed quite differently and the news host went ahead to describe the intricacies of her new fashion sense. 

Rosewood park had survived a length of time spawning from generation to generation. It used to be the Disneyland of those days. Recently it had been ridden with natural disasters and possibly abandoned by the children of the millennial.

As the taxi pulled into the park, Angry clouds snuffed out the sunshine casting a darkly blanket over half the under crowded park.

"I used to play here with my friend," Maxime said as the climbed out of the car. "It's so old. I can't forget the memories."
Samuel didn't know how to feel about the moment as they continued to walk towards the heart of the park. They were in Rosewood and about to meet the only person and link to solving all the mystery.

"I spent most of my childhood days visiting Rosewood park," Maxime said reminiscing the old memories. "Antoine and I used to climb up that tree house, but Antoine will cry because he's afraid of heights..."

Maxime's words hung in the air when his eyes caught the figure of a handsome middle aged tall man walking towards him from the opposite direction.

"How?" Maxime said with obvious delight and surprise. "Oh my god."

"What is it?"

"It's Sebastian."

"Who...?

Before Samuel could put the piece of the puzzle together, Maxime was already in the man's arms.

"How is this even possible, Sebastian?"

"Good to see you again Maxime Lacroix."

Maxime shook his warm hands. "We never saw you again. I mean what happened?"

"It's a long story."

"I know," Maxime said. "Meet Samuel, Samuel this is Sebastian my father's childhood bestfriend."

"Nice to meet you, sir. "

"Likewise." The man said humbly and they shook hands. He glanced at Maxime. "Now that I confirmed it's really you, you will have to come with. There are a some important development you should know. It's about time."

~~~~~~~

Later that evening, Samuel called his sister and told her of the good news. A savior has arrived to liberate Maxime finally. He was convinced Sebastian would win Emile in a flawless victory. He was excited.

His fears spiked up again when Joelene told him that she will be staying over at her friends place. Her new friend at the grocery store had warned her of a strange man following her several times.
He told her to remain there and make a complaint about it to the police.

Were they after his sister now?

Samuel's detective nature set in again. He was sure they were watching him. They didn't want Joelene, they wanted him. They couldn't wait to break him into pieces for ruining their plans.

How far must they go?

Samuel returned his attention to the present. He was standing by the mega swimming pool in Sebastian's beautiful home. Gazing into the water left some calmness in Samuel's soul.

"It's so cold." Maxime muttered as he walked beside the glittering pool and stood near Samuel who was shirtless except for a boxers short.

"You've been quiet all day." Maxime said. He crossed his hands over his chest to wade off the cold permeating his sleeveless vest. He suddenly regretted why he didn't wear one of the hoodie sweater in Sebastian's wardrobe.

Samuel blinked. "I prayed for a miracle and Sebastian appeared. I mean I'm still short of words."

"You don't believe in miracles or what?"

"Not really."

"I do."

Samuel leaned back. "That's why it worked?"

"Maybe."

Samuel's eyes traced the ridge between Maxime's eyes, gradually taking in the soft shiny skin layering down his nose and lips. He swallowed hard.
"Who is Sebastian?"

"He's an old friend of my dad. I told you."

"I mean on a personal level. Who is he to you?"

Maxime laughed out. "You're so inquisitive. Sebastian and my dad were friends, like old pals."

"Is he married?"

"He is divorced but he has a daughter."

Samuel eyed Maxime again as if measuring his level of decency in those sleeveless vest he was wearing. He wouldn't lie, something about Maxime was getting to him tonight. Was it the way he'd laughed when he'd seen Sebastian at the park? Maybe he was plain jealous. He had never been possessive about Maxime, or was he? In short he was triggered. The atmosphere was getting colder to condone.
"You guys talked?"

"Not really. He said we should rest for the night. Tomorrow we talk. He is such a kind man."

"I think he likes you," Samuel blurted out.

Maxime recoiled.
"Why would you say that?"

"The way he looks at you," Samuel rubbed Maxime's bare arm.

"Looks at me? Oh gosh, Samuel are you serious right now?"

Samuel shrugged. He pulled his hands away. "Just saying."

"I had nothing to do with him in the past. It was strictly business. He was always with my dad, I only met him a few times and by the way the man was married with a kid."

"He's an attractive man."

"I know."

"Are you indirectly admitting it now?"

Maxime rolled his tongue in his mouth. "Even if we did have something, which never happened, that was in the past, why would you be bothered about it?"

Samuel glanced at Maxime just in time to catch a seductive look  reflecting through his droopy eyes. He took a step closer while Maxime took two steps backwards towards the pool.

"You want to know why I should be bothered? You need a reason?"

Maxime stepped back, his heels edging dangerously close to the pool. He had hoped Samuel would back off now.

"Don't scare me Samuel," he warned.

"You have to be scared." Without warning Samuel pushed Maxime into the pool.

"I can't swim!" Maxime yelled out. "What are you... crazy?"

"Yes!"

Samuel jumped into the pool. He swarm towards the handsome man.
"Yes, I'm crazy about you. Maxime," he said. "Didn't you know? Haven't you noticed?"

"Sam..."

"Do I have to shout it on rooftops?"

"You don't have to," Maxime let his gaze fall again.

"You have the most beautiful soul. How can I not fall in love with you? I mean anybody in his right senses will see truth in what I'm saying."

A soft blush crept up Maxime's cheeks and he looked away.

"Look at me, it's really hard to focus when you're around me," Samuel whispered. He moved wet hair away from Maxime's face revealing a perfect heart shaped hair line. "You mean the world to me."

"Samie..."

"Mmm."

"Samie I really can't swim. I'm going to catch a cold."

"You want me to hold you?"

"Yes."

"Can I kiss you?"

Maxime blushed.
"Yes please."

Now they were close. Closer than they will ever be. Together in this pool, love waves rippled across the water and back to them.

It wasn't anything new to Sebastian. He had also been there, cupid struck some time when he had met Maxime with his father. His heart had skipped a beat when he first shook hands with young man. It was something new and exciting. The younger generation will refer to it as a crush. It will be absolutely absurd to say he had his first crush at the age of fifty. That was four years ago.

Leaning on the wooden rails on the balcony of his penthouse, he watched the two lovebirds sharing such rare and indescribable moment of ecstasy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

165K 11.7K 34
❀2022 Watty Shortlister❀ ❀𝗔𝗵𝗼𝗿𝗮 𝘁𝗮𝗺𝗯𝗶𝗲́𝗻 𝗲𝗻 𝗘𝘀𝗽𝗮𝗻̃𝗼𝗹❀ Much against his will, River Allen can't drag his gaze away from the new s...
25.6K 1.5K 36
#1 in LGBT 9/23/21, #1 in Horror 9/23/21, #2 in BxB 9/23/21, #1 in ZombieApocalypse 9/23/21 Killian's eyes flickered up to Jasper. In the afternoon...
79K 6.1K 27
[ Featured by @WattpadShortStory ] • • • ❝She was like the tear of the sky, the anger of a volcano. She was like the rain in a desert, the fire in...
517K 11.1K 37
| 𝟭𝟲𝘅 𝗙𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗘𝗗 · [EDITORS' CHOICE -- NOVEMBER 2020] [ONC 2020 Winner] Two strangers on separate trains, divided by uncaring glass. A bond...