A Sapphire in the Snow

By riocat1

If Brienne could give Tormund a chance, he would give her the world. Set after the events of Season 8, Brienn... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18 - Epilogue

Chapter 17

272 7 0
By riocat1

Jon had enjoyed a leisurely ride down from the North. The weather had been on his side, and there had been none of the unusual obstacles in terms of terrain, or wildlife. He was counting himself lucky as he completed the last few miles with Winterfell sitting low on the horizon before him. Jon was traveling to greet Sansa and her second child. The Queen in the North and her sworn shield husband, Sandor Clegane, had celebrated the birth of their son not a fortnight before. The babe had been named after the Queen's dear brother, Robb, and Jon was eager to meet his new cousin. His plan was to spend several months with the Queen, helping her as much as he could with matters of state so that she could enjoy time with her children.

Jon trotted through Winterfell's main gate, and barely stopped before jumping from his mount. He threw the reins to a waiting stable boy and bounded inside to the Great Hall. Queen Sansa was not keeping court, and he waited patiently while the announcement of his arrival was sent to her in the family's living quarters. Jon was immediately granted admittance and excitedly climbed the stairs to Sansa's chambers.

He found Sansa seated in a comfortable chair in the family's solar, her newborn son nestled securely in her arms. Sandor stood only a few paces from her, watching over his family and diligently attempting to keep their nearly two year old daughter as far from the fire in the hearth as possible. The relief on Sansa's face was evident when Jon knocked and entered the room. She felt that surely, his arrival meant that all was well North of The Wall.

"Jon." Sansa smiled. "How wonderful to see you." She said happily. "Come and sit." She offered, eager to show off her son. Sandor gruffly thrust his chin upward in a rough greeting as Jon crossed the room.

Taking the chair beside his cousin, Jon gushed over the newborn. He thought fondly of the child's namesake. He hoped the boy would prove to have the same honor and spirit as Robb Stark had always shown. Jon smiled, delighted, at the happiness Sansa had found. After all she had suffered in her short life, and all she had lost, he felt no one deserved it more.

Sansa was eager to hear the news from beyond The Wall, especially regarding Brienne. "Did our rider reach you?" Sansa implored, urgently.

Jon looked at her questioningly, unsure of what it was she spoke. "Rider?" He asked.

Sansa's face grew troubled. "Yes." She confirmed. "With the news from Lord Tyrion." She told him, apprehensive at his confusion.

Jon shook his head. "No one has traveled to the encampment from the south since last I returned." His forehead creased with uneasiness. Sansa looked worriedly at Sandor, who for once returned her concerned expression.

Sansa touched Jon's wrist, her face growing pale. "Wait here." She begged him. She stood carefully, holding her newborn close to her, and walked to a small desk across the room. Unlocking a drawer, Sansa pulled a thin parchment from within and returned to her seat next to Jon. Anxiously, she handed the paper to him.

Jon read the words Tyrion had penned, his expression turning grave as he finished. "Jaime Lannister is alive?" He repeated the written words, looking up at Sansa with disbelief.

"We sent a rider with a warning for Brienne and Tormund more than a week ago, but have heard nothing." Sansa reported.

"No news ever reached them." Jon shook his head. "I left them only a few days ago." He reported pensively.

"Then." Sansa paused. "They have no idea, that Ser Jaime might be headed towards them." She gasped, afraid for Brienne and her family.

"I think I'd be more concerned for the Kingslayer." Sandor scoffed, swinging Elinore into his arms. "If he sets foot in that camp, Tormund will skin him alive." He attempted to assuage Sansa's worry.

"Still, I'd feel better if they knew, and were able to prepare." Jon said standing. Turning to Sansa, Jon bowed in front of her. "I must beg my leave, Your Grace." He asked respectfully. "I have a long journey back to the Free Folk camp." He intended to warn his friends. If he was not already too late.

"Of course." Sansa granted. "Please hurry, and be careful." She bid him.

Jon nodded his regards to Sansa and Sandor and quickly left the room heading for the stairs and the stables. He had replaced his horse's saddle, and was spurring his way North at full gallop before a quarter of an hour had passed. Jon could not remove from his mind the image of his friends, Tormund and Brienne, blissfully enjoying their life together. They were completely unaware that Lannister was probably already near, and had plans to tear their life apart.

The next day, Jon discovered the reason Sansa's rider had never reached his destination. While passing over a barren patch of land that he had previously traversed at night on his way to Winterfell, Jon found the remains of an armored man carrying the banner of House Stark, as well as the mutilated carcass of a horse. They had been the unfortunate victims of a snow bear. The darkness through which Jon rode had hidden the bodies that he now saw clearly. Although he knew it was wrong, Jon almost hoped that Jaime Lannister would suffer a similar fate on his travels North. He would wish that upon the Kingslayer, if it would save his dear friends from misery.
——————————-
Brienne slowly became aware of the familiar comfort and warmth of the fur covered bed she shared with Tormund, as she awoke slowly from another peaceful night's sleep. She enjoyed this time of day. Her senses were greeted by the comforting sounds and smells of her home while she enjoyed the final few moments of her dreamy slumber. She laid content with her eyes shut before welcoming the soft light, and the sites she loved into her vision. She felt the familiar weight of Tormund's body lying in the bed beside her. However, the abscence of the sweet light sounds of his snoring told her he was awake, and was probably watching her sleep as was his habit. Brienne smiled warmly to herself and nestled deeper under the furs before stretching her muscles and turning over slowly to gaze at him.

She had been right. He was wide awake, and he was not the only one watching her. Brienne's dreamy smile turned into an adoring chuckle when she saw Tormund stretched on his side facing her, his head propped lazily on his hand. Their young toddler son, Selmund, sat next to his father only a few inches from Brienne's grin. The boy was gripping Tormund's hand, and smiling sweetly at his mother. Brienne's groggy smile grew even brighter at the site before her. She reached out for her child, and the boy happily draped himself onto her neck. Brienne giggled at the sensation, and stretched her head to meet her husband's kiss.

"We didn't mean to wake you." Tormund told her apologetically. Brienne realized he was lying there fully dressed in his usual heavy furs, ready for the days activities.

"You didn't." Brienne laughed. She moved the heavy fur down, settling it around her hips, and pulled up the warm shift she wore to reveal her large firm belly, rounded with their second child. "This one did." She smiled, lightly caressing her skin over the area she had just felt the baby kick.

With a chuckle, Tormund inched his way down the mattress beside Brienne until his face was level with her bared belly. As Brienne occupied herself plastering kisses over Selmund's tiny face, Tormund lightly encircled her abdomen with his fingers and knudged her hand out of the way with his lips. She moved it aside, caressing his jaw as she went. He kissed the softness of her bulge, and then spoke to his child within her.

"Hello, in there." He raised his voice in order to be heard through her skin, certain their unborn child was already so brilliant that his every word was understood. "This is your Papa." He blustered playfully. "Let your mama rest." He laughed and gave the side of Brienne's belly another kiss. As if in answer, the tiny being inside his wife responded with another forceful thrust of an unseen foot, this time directly at Tormund's mouth.

Brienne gasped a little surprised, as Tormund pretended to be hurt and fell over upon the mattress howling and rubbing his jaw. "Whew. That was a strong one." Brienne exclaimed. She grinned excitedly and rubbed her swollen abdomen once more.

"It was a good one." Tormund announced, impressed.

Brienne laughed heartily, and patted her middle. "That's my girl!" She praised, then ran her fingers lovingly through Tormund's hair. Just as she had been certain from the moment she learned of his existence that her first child would be a boy, Brienne was sure the babe she now carried in her womb was a daughter.

Tormund grinned proudly and draped his arm lazily over her hip, resting his head gently beside Brienne's abdomen. She leaned back deeper into the pillow, her relaxed mood matching that of her husband. She untied the lace at the neck of her shift and opened the bodice wide to nurse as Selmund nestled into her, eager to break his fast.

Tormund crawled carefully back up to rest his head against Brienne's temple. He beamed proudly at his son, and stretched his arm under Brienne's belly to cradle the burgeoning life they had made. "Two more moons and you'll have two of my babe's at your breast." He sighed proudly.

Brienne snickered and tussled her son's flaming locks, looking adoringly at her little boy. "Selmund won't be nursing much longer." Her tone was regretful at the idea of losing that close bonding time with her firstborn. "He's already eating solid food." She smiled sweetly.

Tormund leaned his head over to Brienne and kissed the bridge of her nose, before returning his face next to hers. "Suckle our babies as long as you want." He declared. "Grow them big and strong." He touched her cheek. "See what mama's milk did for me." He puffed himself up, flexing his muscles.

Brienne giggled and rolled her eyes. "Don't we need a giant for that?" She questioned teasingly, remembering his oft told tale of how taking refuge with a nursing giant had kept him alive and made him strong. Tormund roared in amusement before bending to kiss Brienne's lips tenderly.

"I see you're ready to go." Brienne noted when their lips parted, rubbing the back of her hand along the furs he wore. Her face looked regretful at the thought of his leaving. "Let me make you something to eat." She offered.

He shook his head and gratefully denied her request. "There will be something at the Gathering Ground, if I need it." He assured her.

Today was the first day of the village hunt. It was the most important event of the entire year, and would last for a week. All the men would be riding out in search of the migrating reindeer herds. This was the time that the meat needed to feed the families for the year would be caught and butchered.The herds would be followed by throngs of bears fattening for their season of slumber. There would be meat on the hoof and furs galore. The hunt was vital for the survival of everyone. Always one of the most prodigious hunters, Tormund was determined that he would fell more game and slice off more pelts than anyone this year. He and Brienne would soon be celebrating their second year of marriage. In a little more than a fortnight, Selmund would see his first year's Name Day. A new baby would soon join their happy family. A successful hunt would be a tribute to the Gods for the blessings they had given him.

After enjoying one more kiss from his wife, Tormund rose from their bed and began to gather his gear. "Are you sure we can't come down to see you off?" Brienne asked, hopefully.

Securing his weapons to the belt he wrapped around his waist, Tormund returned to sit on the edge of the bed. Having finished nursing their son, Brienne tied her shift closed and sat up heavily, constricted by her round belly. She held Selmund close to her. The little boy's stomach was full and his body relaxed. Tormund stroked his son's cheeks admiringly as the child looked sleepily up at him from Brienne's arms. He moved his eyes to Brienne's questioning gaze, and shook his head.

"Those crazy horse's arses will already be worked into a frenzy." He laughed, referring to the men of the village. "They won't be watchful of a pregnant woman, or a babe." He reminded her. "I want here where it's safe, and you can rest." He declared, caringly.

Brienne nodded her understanding. She would take no chances with her children. She longingly reached her hand out and caressed Tormund's face. He melted into her touch before bringing her hand to his lips and kissing her palm. "Be careful." She demanded. "You all get reckless." She asserted. "Those hunts can be dangerous, and I want you back here in one piece." Brienne demanded. She took his hand and laid it once more atop their unborn child. "We need you." She affirmed.

Tormund gently wrapped his family in his arms, and burrowed into Brienne's neck. "I'm not as foolhardy as I once was." He laughed. She chuckled in mock agreement. "I don't want you to worry. Nothing will keep me from returning to you." He assured her.

They sat together for another long moment, not wanting to disturb the peaceful mood of the morning. Finally, Tormund nestled Brienne and Selmund back onto the softness of their bed, and pulled the warm fur up around them. Their child was already slipping back into his slumber as Tormund kissed his shaggy head. He then reached up and tasted Brienne's lips with passionate abandon. The sample would need to last him for a few days. "I love you." He whispered softly to her.

Brienne smiled sweetly at him. "I love you, too." She replied, her eyes never leaving his.

Reluctantly, he stood and walked toward the door. On his way he picked up the hunting gear he had prepared, and slung it over his shoulder. Looking back, he was rewarded with Brienne's adoring gaze. He would, hold it in his heart while he was separated from her. Throwing back the skin on his exit, he drew the cold air into his lungs. 'It would be a good day for a hunt,' he thought to himself. He secured the door flap as his wife and child were returning to their dreams inside. Excitedly, he strode from their hut, eager to meet the others and get the sport underway. He did not notice the cloaked figure that watched, hidden in the forest beyond the edge of the village.
—————————————————-
Jaime Lannister stood just at the tree line of the dense woods that encircled the Wildling village on one side. The dark mantle he wore turned him into a shadow among the brush. He had watched and waited since well before dawn, having finally reached the encampment in the dark but without any clue as to which tiny skin covered structure held the woman he sought, his true love, Brienne. His journey had been long, and arduous, but through it all the glimmer of hope to which he still held of finding her and winning her back had sustained him.

Jaime had booked his passage upon a ship going North the very same night he had stormed from Tyrion's chambers. His fair, he paid for by swabbing the decks and any other menial degrading jobs the crew had seen fit to throw his way. The work had been wretched, but he did not care. It took him closer to Brienne, and for that he would have suffered anything. He was more than a week on the vessel, having to endure numerous stops at ports along the way. Finally, they had docked at Hardhomme, the Wildling stronghold, on the Eastern shore of their Land of Always Winter. Barely a town, the hamlet was perched on a narrow strip of rocky beach between the mountains and the sea. The village was still being rebuilt from its destruction by the Night King and his White Walkers, and it was easy for Jaime to slip ashore unnoticed in the chaos.

He had made it to the North, but had no idea where Brienne might be in the vast frozen wasteland. Luckily, Jaime had found it uncommonly easy to gain the information he sought. He had always heard the Wildlings in the North were wary of outsiders, and had steeled himself, ready to do whatever he needed in order to find Brienne. It took little time for him to discover that the Northerners were also unflinchingly honest, and eager to help one another. He would find that Brienne, as Giantsbane's wife, was now known throughout their culture. These savages beyond The Wall considered her one of them. Jaime pictured her in the fine dark blue armor he had given her, standing tall and proud with Oathkeeper by her side, and scoffed at the idea. 'Ser Brienne of Tarth, a Wildling?' He chortled to himself. 'Never!' He nearly spat on the ground.

Jaime realized that he could garner the directions to Brienne by appearing as her advocate, an envoy from her father with urgent business. He quickly found a drinking house near the dock that was visited by Wildlings and Southerners alike. He decided to use that fact to his advantage. As he had done in Essos, Jaime ordered a flagon for ale, took a seat in the shadows, and waited. It did not take long for him to spy two young Wildling men who appeared to have more liquor in them than experience. He thought perhaps, he could manipulate their helpfulness, and their thirst.

"Excuse me, my good fellows." Jaime grinned ingratiatingly as he sidled up to them, careful to hide his handless arm as best he could. "You are of the Free Folk, are you not?" He inquired.

The two drunk Wildlings laughed, and raised their steins high. "You're damn right we are!" They declared pridefully.

"Then might I buy you proud Freemen a drink?" Jaime grinned. "To show my gratitude for all your people did in fighting the Night King at Winterhall, and saving the whole of Westeros." He offered, trying not to seem too knowledgeable of the event.

"Winterfell." One of the younger men corrected.

"Oh yes. Yes of course." Jaime winced, feigning embarrassment over his purposeful mistake. He did not want them to recognize his true identity.

"We wouldn't turn down a flagon." The other one said, upping Jaime's proposal.

"Of course." Jaime laughed, hiding his disdain, and raised his hand to call over the serving wench. She came quickly, and Jaime ordered a round for them all. He joked and made small talk with the men while the drinks were served. Jaime waited to delve further into his questioning until several more rounds were brought.

"Perhaps you can be of some assistance to me." Jaime told his companions. "I have traveled North from a great distance." He aimed to impress. "All the way from the island of Tarth." He waited to see if the location registered recognition with the men. When it did not, he plodded on.

"I have been tasked by master, Lord Selwyn of Tarth, with finding his daughter." He watched the Wildlings intently for any sign that they knew of whom he spoke. When again, there was no indication that his marks had knowledge of Brienne, Jaime understood he would need to be more direct.

"You have not heard that one of your..." Jaime paused, not wanting to insult those he still needed to use. "That one of your culture, has taken a highborn southern lady to wife, and has brought her beyond The Wall?" He tried again, hopefully.

"Hold on." One of Jaime's new allies paused. He looked at his friend, concentrating hard on a snippet of memory. "There is a southern lady that lives up here." He looked at his companion for help, certain the man would understand his direction of thought.

The second Wilding caught on quickly. "Oh yeah." He grinned. "Giantsbane's wife." He laughed loudly.

"Yes." Jaime smiled widely. "That's her." The relief on his face was only partly feigned.

"So you are acquainted with them?" Jaime plodded on, hopefully.

The men laughed, slapped each other on the arm, and nodded their affirmative. "Oh yeah. We know Tormund." One said. "Everybody knows Tormund." He howled.

"Excellent." Jaime declared but lowered his head to avoid prying eyes. "Lord Selwyn will be pleased." He affirmed.

The first man turned to his friend. "They say she's a great beauty." He announced jealously. "Tallest and strongest woman you ever saw. She's a knight." He took a sloppy swig of his ale, as the other Wilding finished his thought for him.

"I heard Tormund beat down twenty of his own village that challenged him for her." He said, exaggerating, but only slightly. The two Wildings agreed, understanding the importance of the feat.

Jaime wanted to cringe. He could not imagine his Brienne being held up as prize in some barbaric ritual. He wondered to himself what might have happened to her if Giantsbane had lost, not realizing that Tormund never lost. 'The sooner he was out of this place with Brienne the better they would both be,' Jaime thought to himself.

He wasted no time continuing his charade. "Tormund Giantsbane's wife is Lord Selwyn's daughter, Ser Brienne of Tarth." Jaime wanted to purge the contents of his stomach at the thought. "It is with Ser Brienne that I must speak." Jaime swirled his ale and acted as though he were taking a long swallow. "I have urgent family news that I must deliver to her." He replied.

"They'd be at Tormund's clan's encampment." One of the eager young men ventured. Spying an opportunity to make a profit, the men eyed each other. "We can take you there." He offered. "For a price."

Jaime knew it might come to this. He hid his disgust for the pair's opportunistic attempt and tried to dissuade their zealous and transparent offer of assistance. There was no way he intended to brave the north to take back Brienne with two drunken natives in tow. He did, however still need their help.

"Oh. I will gladly pay you for information on the location of this encampment." Jaime reassured them. "However, Lord Selwyn has made it clear to me that I am not to involve anyone else. I am to deliver this news to her personally, and alone." He could see a suspicious look pass between the two men, who were by now beginning to wonder if helping this stranger was worth their time.

Jaime signaled to the serving woman for another round. "Please allow me to reward your time, and show my gratitude for your help." He smiled.

With their drinking horns filled to the brims once more, Jaime spent the rest of the evening divining as many details as to the location of the Wildling village as he could. He spent the majority of the night, filling them with enough alcohol so they would most likely not remember their conversation with him, and therefore would not send warning of his approach to Giantsbane.

In the wee hours of the next morning, with darkness still shrouding the landscape, Jaime left his two drinking partners passed out in the corner of the tavern. He stole a horse, and headed directly along the path the Wildlings had described to him. He had not gone far before he understood why the Land Beyond The Wall was considered so brutal. The cold was like a blade edging its way deep into his skin. All around him strange sounds put him on his guard. Even the wind itself was like a demon tracking his every move. The unfamiliar and worrisome elements of his environment only deepened his resolve to find Brienne and save her from this place. He had traveled too far to be turned back now. The Night King himself could not have stopped him. Once he found her, he was certain Brienne would remember that it was him she loved.

It had taken days for Jaime to reach the clan's encampment. Approaching the village under the cover of darkness had given him the opportunity to circle the collection of small huts undetected, and find a secure hiding place among the dense trees only a short distance away. He had ridden the horse deep within the cover provided by the thickets, and tied the animal to a sturdy tree ready for his return. Jaime had then retraced his path, and sat patiently watching the little camp awaken as light returned to the land. His vantage point on a low hill overlooking the site gave him a view of all that moved.

Jaime watched as the village came to life just before dawn. It soon became apparent that something was happening. The men of the village had begun to gather on the open tundra opposite where Jaime was positioned. It seemed they were preparing to leave. From the weapons they carried, Jaime guessed it must be some kind of large hunting party. Some women had turned out to watch on that side of town. Jaime craned his neck, trying to catch a glimpse of Brienne's sun yellow hair. He knew he would be able to see her towering over most in the village. To his disappointment, Jaime soon realized that Brienne was not among the revelers. He would have to wait a while longer. He settled in and scanned the spaces between the tiny houses.

It was not long before Jaime saw Tormund Giantsbane emerge from a hut near where he waited. There was no mistaking him. With his wild red hair, and his burly frame wrapped in patchwork furs, he looked like some kind of strange large bear as he made his way though the tents toward the horde in the distance. Jaime noticed there was a spring in his step, and a carefree air to his gate. He supposed to himself that if he had just been lucky enough to have spent the night with Brienne in such close quarters he would have felt the same. Then he sneered malevolently. 'Let's see how happy you act when you return to find her gone.' He eyed Tormund until he was certain the Wildling was well out of range.

Returning his attentions to the hut from which Tormund had come, Jaime saw that a thin plume of smoke rose from the hole left open in the middle of roof of the structure. He thought to himself that the little home seemed comfortable and inviting. Undoubtedly a result of Brienne's touch. His heart raced to think that she must be there. She must be inside, he was only a short distance from her. He could barely control the urge to run to her. However, he noticed the motion of some other women who had stayed behind at their homes while their men went to hunt. He would be patient and wait until all was clear and nothing stood in his way.
————————————————
"I don't see why we can't go watch the hunters leave." Anya complained loudly, as she and Munda made their way through the empty paths of the village.

"You know Papa said it was too dangerous." Munda rolled her eyes. She had explained it a hundred times to her little sister. "They won't be paying any mind to a young girl walking around. You'll get stomped by one of the horses." She reminded.

"I'll be careful." Anya pouted.

"Papa said no!" Munda was growing impatient. "Your mama, and my mama agreed." She had half a mind to let Anya go and find out how those men, probably many already half drunk, could be. She herself had hoped to be allowed to see off some of village boys. A few of her favorites would be accompanying the older men for the first time. She was fairly sure that was one reason her father had forbade her from watching the hunt depart.

"It's still not fair." Anya kicked at the snow, crossing her arms dejectedly.

Munda wrapped Anya's arm within hers, and pulled her forward. "Don't you want to help Brienne?" She smiled, trying to cheer up her sister.

"Sure I do." Anya grinned reluctantly. "But I get to hold Selmund, first." She demanded, eager to dote on her little brother.

"Fine." Munda nodded. She would manage the sacrifice if it would quiet Anya's complaining about the hunt.

The girls trudged happily through the snow, laughing and joking with each other, until they came to the edge of the path that led to their father's house. It was Munda who saw the stranger first, and stopped dead in her tracks. Anya locked up annoyed as she ran into her, but then noticed at what Munda was staring. A cloaked figure stood only feet from the doorway of the home. They knew he had already left for the hunt, and that Brienne and Selmund were alone inside. Normally, they were proud that Brienne could easily subdue an intruder. Now, however, she was heavy with a new brother or sister for them, and was not in her top fighting form. They did not want the think of anything happening to Brienne, Selmund, or the baby.

Munda grabbed Anya and pulled her to the side of a nearby hut where they would not be seen. They watched as the stranger sneaked closer to the flap of animal skin that would be useless to keep him out. He turned and surveyed his surroundings in all directions. Anya grabbed Munda's arm and squeezed hard, in fear. She noticed how the man seemed to be hiding his right arm within his heavy dark cloak. She feared that perhaps he had a weapon.

"What's he doing?" Anya whispered urgently.

"I don't know." Munda replied, annoyed. She was trying to focus, and her mind was spinning as she tried to figure out what to do.

The girls watched as the tall blonde man stood motionless for a moment. They could see even at that distance that his chest heaved breathlessly. He turned once more, and they noticed the reason he shielded his right side. As he moved, the covering over his shoulder fell away and they saw that his right hand was missing. Then, he moved the flap at the doorway aside and entered the hut.

"Go get Papa!" Munda ordered, already on the move.

"What?" Anya questioned. "What about the hunt? I'm sure they've already left." She questioned.

Munda pivoted impatiently. "Take a horse, and go out and find Papa." She instructed. "Tell him what's happening." Munda ordered.

"What about you?" Anya squealed.

"I'm going down there to help." Munda replied with determination.

As Anya turned hastily to leave, Munda caught her breath, not knowing exactly what she was going to do. All she knew was that Brienne was in trouble, and she was not going to allow anyone to hurt her. Whoever this stranger was had better prepare for the fight of his life. She steeled her nerves and ran toward the little house, ready to protect her family.
———————————
Brienne had only managed to nap for a short while after Tormund had left for the hunt. Selmund had awakened soon after, and was ready to continue his morning meal. Brienne had happily slipped from her warm bed and dressed quickly, eager to care for her son. She had set the boy down in his cradle and went about fixing warm pourridge for the both of them. Busy at the sideboard counter preparing the grains to boil, and humming a sweet song to her child, she did not hear the flap of her doorway as it was moved aside. Her focus on her cooking, Brienne was distracted only by checking on Selmund as she cooed and talked to the boy. She did not see the cloaked figure stealthily enter her home and remove his hood.

Jaime stood for a moment in awe. Brienne was there, in front of him. Finally, he had found her. All of the time, and distances he had traveled fell away. His dreams seemed within his reach. Brienne had her back to him, and although he could not see her face, his heart raced with joy. His eyes scanned the interior of the hut, which by his standards, he would describe as a hovel, sparsely decorated and utilitarian. She deserved to be in a palace. He saw bitterly, the unmade bed she shared with Giantsbane, and his jaw clenched with jealous hatred for Brienne's husband. Jaime's eyes fell upon the babe watching him innocently from the cradle. Although the child had his father's flaming red hair, he had Brienne's brilliant blue eyes. Jaime's heart pained at the thought that the boy might have been his own son, if only he had not left. Unable to endure one moment longer without her, Jaime found the courage to make his presence known.

"Brienne." Jaime called out, his voice hoarse and nervous. He stood waiting, trembling, for her to turn.

She froze, her breath caught in her throat. The voice came to her ears through the heavy fabric of the years that had passed. The last time she had heard it had been on that cold dark night in the courtyard at Winterfell. There had been pain behind his words. She remembered how the regret on his face had been in such contrast to the course he had set. For the longest time it was all she could remember of him, the way he looked when he left. Brienne had fought her grief, and determined to move on. She had finished his page in the White Book, and closed his chapter in her life, she thought forever. Then Brienne had found love with Tormund. That had changed her destiny, and now she did not think of Jaime at all. Her mind struggled to understand why his voice should come back so clearly to her, now.

"Brienne." Jaime spoke again, unable to move. His voice nearly a whisper.

Realization dawned slowly. Brienne felt her hands go numb as her mind suddenly discerned that it was not a memory that toyed with her ears. She dropped the wooden dish of grain she held from her shaking fingers, the kernels spilling across the floor. The voice was his, and he stood behind her. All she need do was to turn. For a long moment, she could not.

Jaime could not force breath into his lungs. His entire body ached to rush to Brienne and take her into his arms. It was clear that she was stunned simply by the sound of his voice. He did not wish to overwhelm her, and would wait for her mind to comprehend his presence. He was certain that her joy would match his upon seeing him alive, and knowing that they could have a life together.

Then, slowly, she moved around to face him. Brienne's heart pounded in her ears as she found Jaime Lannister, alive and well and standing only a few feet from her. Her gasp split the silence, but it was not caused by her shock. The sudden rush of the blood within her veins had caused the babe she carried to react. A sharp kick struck her side from within and she doubled over in pain, clutching her rounded belly with one hand and the sideboard with the other. A low groan rose from her throat, and she dared not move fearing something was wrong. Her concern registered upon her face. Jaime tried to bolt ahead to catch Brienne if she fell, fearing she may pass out. He had not known that she was with child, and understood what a sudden shock of the kind she had just experienced could do to an expectant mother. He had no wish to be the cause of her child coming too early. He rushed to her, wanting to help.

"Don't come near me." She ordered, her face lined worried. Brienne stepped back from him, and waited for the pain to subside. In her mind, she checked her body and her babe to be sure all was well. Finally, satisfied that she was strong and so was the baby she carried, Brienne stood and stared at him.

Before her mind could form thoughts, Brienne heard Selmund murmur from a few feet away. Her child's voice brought her back to reality, and she quickly grabbed the knife that lay upon the sideboard near her grasping fingers. She hid it in the skirt of the wide dress she again wore to accommodate her expanding waistline. She had no idea why Jaime was there. She hoped he meant them no harm, but she would take no chances with the lives of her children. Brienne moved to protect Selmund, positioning herself in front of his cradle, and draping her free hand over the wooden rim. She wished Tormund were there.

"You're alive." Brienne said to Jaime dryly. Her mind struggled to understand where he could have been the whole time she had mourned him. There was a time she would have given anything for Jaime to be standing in front her. Now, all she wanted was Tormund's strong reassuring protection.

"I am." Jaime answered lowly, his face painted with shame. He had longed of her for so long. Now that he was with her it felt more like a dream than any of his fantasies. He had thought she would rush into his arms. Her emotionless, accusatory stare made the awkward moment worse. This was not at all the reunion for which he had hoped.

Brienne stood glaring at him, as still as a statue. "I do not understand?" She questioned. "Where have you been?" She implored him, gravely.

"It is a long story." Jaime tried to chuckle, but it came out more of a flustered sigh. Brienne only stared, waiting for the explanation.

"I was gravely injured, when the Red Keep collapsed upon us...upon me." He corrected. He had not meant to bring up the ghost of Cersei. "Tyrion found me and ushered me secretly to Essos, to heal." He lowered his eyes at the thought of the years that were lost to them. "He felt I would be in danger if I stayed in Westeros. I was barely conscious and unable to protest." His eyes begged for forgiveness. "If I could have, I would have returned to you." Jaime admitted freely. "It took a long time for me to recover, but I was determined to find you." He assured her.

Brienne regarded him with a confused scowl. "Why?" She asked, her face holding not the renewed passion he had hoped to find, but bewildered indifference. "Why are you here?" Brienne questioned. Jaime realized that she saw no reason for him to have come North.

"I thought..." Jaime stammered, looking longingly at Brienne. "I hoped that when I found you, I could bring you back to the south with me, or anyplace you want to go." He offered, almost begging. "Somewhere away from...here." He meant that he wanted to take her someplace befitting her. He wanted to find a pedestal upon which to place her. Although he knew she would hate that. He did not mean for his words to sounds so condescending.

Brienne immediately took offense to his seemingly judgmental tone. She straightened incredulously. "This is my home, Ser Jaime." Brienne corrected him. "This is where I live with my husband. Where I brought my child into the world, and where I will soon bare another." She stroked her widened middle proudly.

Jaime was not making the impression he had imagined he would. He had wanted to sweep her off her feet, not make her angry. "Of course." He conceded. "Forgive me. I meant no offense." He begged. His arms ached to hold her, regardless of the fact that she carried another man's child.

He smiled warmly, watching her in the role of mother and wife. His whole heart wished it were his home that she brightened. "It seems this domestic life suits you." Jaime meant for his statement to be a praise of her, but again his words were mistaken for contempt.

Brienne's anger flared. "I can still fight as well as any man on the battlefield." She sneered at him. "I could do so with one babe on my hip, and another in my belly if need be." Her eyes glared with passion.

As he alway found himself, Jaime was astonished by the sheer power of her. "I have no doubt it would be so." He confirmed.

At that moment, Munda burst through the doorway, winded from her all out run and desperate to assist the woman she considered her second mother. "Brienne!" She called out in alarm, and then froze when she saw the man standing before her, reaching for one of the swords that hung at his waist.

Brienne gasped. "Munda, get behind me!" She ordered. Brienne reached for the girl, and motioned emphatically, her eyes searching for the ever present figure of Anya behind her.

Jaime dropped his hand away from the weapons he carried when he realized that the intrusion upon his reunion with Brienne was only a young girl, and not an armed party of Wilding fighters. He knew immediately from the flaming hair, that she must have belonged to Tormund. "Giantsbane's girl, I presume." Jaime confirmed, as Munda inched past him and rushed to Brienne's side.

Brienne raised her chin proudly. "My readymade daughter." She affirmed, letting it be known that she would fight as hard to protect Munda as she would for Selmund or her unborn child. She grabbed Munda as the girl came near.

Brienne shielded the girl with her own body. Munda leaned close to her and whispered, "Anya has gone to fetch Papa." Brienne gave her a hidden look of understanding, yet still tightened her grip on Selmund's crib.

"Brienne." Jaime looked earnestly at the woman who at one time, trusted him implicitly. "I would never hurt you, or your children." He vowed, his face somber at the thought that the faith she once had in him was gone.
———————————-
Tormund sat tall in the saddle, congratulating himself, and shouting good natured jests at the other Wildling men who rode nearby. The hunt was going extremely well, exactly as he had planned. In the short time, and small distance they had traveled he had already felled three large reindeer, several plump white hairs, and snow fox. Tormund grinned thinking of how quickly Selmund was growing and how his boy would soon be moved to a small bed he was making. He thought softly to himself that the pristine fox pelt would make a perfect addition to the little cradle which stood by the side of his marriage bed for the new babe Brienne would bare him. It seemed nothing could interfere with his plans for a successful hunt.

No sooner had the thought left his mind, than he spied another hefty deer in his sites. Tormund raised his bow and took quick aim. He pulled back on the string, certain he was giving it just the right amount of tension to sail straight through the heart of the beast. Just as he loosed the arrow and sent it flying, the sound of his name being shouted across the snow broke his concentration, and cause the projectile to go hurtling directly to the ground.

"Ah, Buggering Hells!" Tormund shouted, angry at having had his perfect shot ruined, and the day's momentum interrupted. Whoever it was that had just cost his family a moon of meals was about to get the worst beat down of his life. He whirled around on his mount to the sight of Jon Snow barreling across the tundra at full gallop.

Surprised to see his friend, Tormund's mood immediately changed. "I thought we weren't going to see you for a moon or two. You're supposed to be at Winterfell, aren't you?" Tormund laughed, raising his hand in greeting. He had not noticed the serious look on Jon's face.

Tormund stopped his horse and waited for Jon to reach him. "You owe me a big bull." He challenged. "I had that one dead to rights, until you distracted me." He laughed heartily.

Jon's urgency could not wait even for greetings. "Tormund, listen to me." Jon silenced his jovial friend. "Sansa received a raven from Kings Landing. Lord Tyrion told her Jaime Lannister is alive, and was heading North for Brienne." Jon's tone grew more serious with each moment that passed. "Tyrion wrote that Ser Jaime was not in his right mind, and he feared for what his brother might do."

Tormund's face went red with rage, as his heart beat raced. "Alive?" He shouted. "That Lannister Fucker sure as the Hells must not be in his right mind if he thinks he can take my wife." Tormund scoffed, yet his tone was tinged with dread. Just as he was turning his mount and preparing to spur the animal back to the village, Tormund heard someone else screaming for him over the snow.

"Papa!" Anya shouted racing down the hill that stood between them and the village, on someone else's horse. "Papa!" She exclaimed again, before pulling her ride to a stop next to her father and Jon.

"Anya!" Tormund bellowed. "What are you doing out here?" After hearing the news about Jaime Lannister he could not hide his aggravation at her disobedience. "I told you it's too dangerous for you out here." He scolded.

"Papa!" Anya interrupted him. "You need to come home. Now!" She demanded, and barely took a breath before continuing. "Munda and I saw a strange man going into your hut. Munda sent me to get you, and she went to help Brienne." She looked quizzically at her father. "The man acted strange, and I think he only had one hand."

The color drained from Tormund's face. He and Jon turned to each other in dread. "Lannister." They both voiced their fear at once.

Tormund could not be restrained. He kicked his mount hard in the side and was speeding up the hill back to village before solid thoughts formed in his mind, Jon and Anya hard on his heels. Blood in his eyes, terror in his heart, Tormund was fully ready to slice Jaime Lannister in half. He prayed he would find that Brienne, and Munda, and the babies were unharmed. He swore that if the Kingkiller had touched one hair on his family's heads, that he would die today. Even if Lannister had not touched them at all, Tormund still wanted him dead.
———————————————
The atmosphere inside the little skin hut was more like a stand off. Brienne had managed to calm her racing heart. Her baby and body no longer reacted to the coursing of her blood. She was relieved that all seemed well, and the babe that burgeoned in her belly had relaxed. Brienne was certain that the Jaime she had known would not hurt her. However, the man who stood before them now had been through so much. She could only hope his sentiments toward her were as protective. She began to grow agitated as Selmund, who had not filled his hungry stomach with porridge, began to cry for his mother's attentions.

Jaime realized Brienne's distress, and could not bare it. "Please." He offered kindly, his face softening. "Tend to your child. I will not hurt you." His eyes swept over Brienne, Selmund, and Munda.

Something deep with her believed his words. However, Brienne was not ready to fully trust this man who had been dead to her for so very long. She drew the blade from its hiding place in her skirts, and handed it to Munda. "If he moves, slit his throat." Brienne instructed the girl, who she knew was fully capable of doing exactly as she described, her eye not straying from Jaime.

Munda took hold of the knife, and stood guardedly between Brienne and this man she did not know. Jamie could not blame Brienne for her caution. He had intruded into her life. He still hoped, that once her shock abated, she would look upon him with the same love he had left behind. He had been the one who left. Of course it would take some time for her to forgive him, and to trust him. Jaime prayed it would not be too long. He had hoped they would be on their way before Giantsbane returned.

Brienne lifted her hungry, and now squalling, son from his cradle. She soothed him, as she slipped behind Munda and perched on the corner of the bed, her back to Jaime. Munda watched him nervously, and kept the knife held high at the ready. Jaime's gaze remained on Brienne's form as she modestly slipped the shift she wore from around her shoulder and drew her son to her side, draping him over her large belly. Her back was still turned to shield herself from his view. Jaime could see the top of the boy's head as he relaxed into his mother, and nursed from her happily.

Again, Jaime was tormented by the knowledge that the babe resting pleasantly in Brienne's arms and the one growing within her would have been his, if only he had been true to the woman he loved, and not the one who controlled him. He lost himself imagining that the boy she cradled would have his golden curls, along with his mother's brilliant blue eyes. He saw her sitting with their children on the terraced bluffs at Casterly Rock, or in the lush meadows of Tarth. Brienne was an excellent mother. He marveled at the gentleness and care with which she held her son. As Brienne gently moved Selmund to her other side, Jaime saw the profile of her face as she gazed down at her son. The look with which she regarded the child exuded such love and fulfillment, that he could almost see her holding the children he hoped to have with her in the future. If only he could convince her. If only he could help her remember that it was him she truly loved.

Brienne finished feeding her son, and replaced her garment around her shoulders. She secured the ties that held her shift together and rose, holding her groggy son on her hip. Selmund's head drifted blissfully unaware onto his mother's shoulder. Quickly, Brienne returned to her protective place beside Munda and took back the blade from the still frightened girl. This time, however, Brienne lowered it. Jaime notice the gesture of acceptance. She knew he would not harm them. He stared at her from across the room, unsure where to begin. For the first time, it began to dawn on him, that Brienne would have a say in the grand plan he had devised. It seemed that she may not wish to leave this tiny tent in the middle of the cold barren snow. Part of him thought that he should just turn and go, but that was what he had done so long ago. At the very least he owed her an explanation. He owed her an apology. Perhaps that would bring her love for him fresh to her mind. Before Jaime could find his voice, a long sharp blade flashed in front of his eyes, and came to rest at his throat.

"What are you doing in MY home, with MY wife, and MY children?" Tormund's rasp seethed behind Jaime as the Wilding held the knight tightly at bay, his long hunting knife ready to draw blood.

He had pulled Jaime's elbows behind him before the tattered lion, who was once one of the greatest fighters in Westeros, had even realized the angry wild man had entered the hut. All Jaime could see was Jon Snow standing beside him holding his own great blade at his ribs. He stood motionless and did not care if Giantsbane slit his throat. He almost hoped that would be his end this day. It would be far more pleasant than realizing his suspicion, that Brienne's heart may truly no longer hold him dear.

"Tormund." Brienne called to her husband, relieved he was finally there.

Jon nodded to his friend over Jaime's shoulder, and the weapon was lowered from his throat as Tormund rushed to Brienne's side, Anya following closely behind him. Jaime relaxed for only a moment as Jon raised the point of his long sword to take the place of Tormund's blade, holding him still, and ready to thrust. Jaime was able to turn his head, enough to see Giantsbane engulf Brienne in his arms, their eldest child between them and his hand coming to rest atop their babe in her belly. She melted into his embrace.

"Are you alright?" Tormund questioned her urgently.

"I'm fi..." Brienne began. "We're fine." She smiled adoringly at him, placing her hand over his protective touch on her abdomen. She rested her face against his, reveling in his nearness. He saw proudly, the blade Brienne held for defense.

Tormund raised his eyes to check the brave young woman standing defensively beside his wife. "Munda?" He reached out for a moment to clasp his daughter's shoulder, his eyes brimming with pride and gratitude.

Munda nodded her head assuredly, still staring a hole in Jaime. "Yes, Papa. I'm fine." She answered strongly. Anya wasted no time taking her place at her sister's side.

Having ensured that his family was unharmed, Tormund spun furiously on Jamie. He stepped away from Brienne and wielded his blade yet again. "Did you really think you could come here, to my land, to my home, and take what's mine?" He scoffed rhetorically.

Jaime all but ignored Tormund's posturing. His entire focus was on Brienne. He cared nothing for the opinions of the others in the room. He knew his words would make him sound weak. It mattered not. He thought to himself that perhaps he should be humiliated. He deserved it for ever leaving Brienne. Maybe that would help her understand the honesty behind his words. Again, he saw the dreams he had held for the time they would be finally reunited. "I had hoped there would be no need for me to take you." Jaime addressed Brienne. "My wish was that you would come with me willingly." He said to her with desperate longing in his eyes.

Standing protectively in front of Brienne, Tormund blustered with rage. "Oh. That's it!" He bellowed. "Jon, Hold him down." He ordered. "I'm going to gut this cocksucker, and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it." He smiled in blood thirsty anticipation.

Tormund remembered how the Kingkiller had hurt Brienne. He remembered the pain that rested in her eyes after he had abandoned her at Winterfell, and that still plagued her when they had first begun to travel for Queen Sansa. Even if that pain had been for another man, he could not stand it then and he would not abide Lannister causing her more grief now. She was his wife, and the thought of anyone thinking they could take her heart for him, was an insult to which he could not submit.

"Tormund." Brienne spoke calmly, silencing her husband as she tucked the short blade she had drawn into the pocket of her gown. "Ser Jaime is a guest in our home. We will receive him with the same courtesy as any other." She spoke formally and apathetically as if she were referring to an envoy from Queen Sansa, or the leader of another clan. Tormund squirmed beside her, eager to slice Jaime apart. She stepped next to him and whispered softly into his ear as she laid her hand upon his arm. "There is no reason for you to be troubled, My Love." Brienne reassured him. "He will be gone soon." She looked deeply into his eyes, and his soul was calmed by the depths of hers. Brienne eyed Jon and nodded to him. He lowered his sword from Jaime's throat, but kept it aimed at his ribcage.

Brienne looked again at Jaime, her brow furrowing as she regarded the man who had broken her heart, that now had the audacity to think she would abandon everything for him. "Did you expect that I would leave my husband, my family, my child?" She probed, unable to believe what she was hearing.

"I expected that when you saw I was alive, you would remember that it is me you love." Jaime confessed, seeing only Brienne. Tormund chuckled with mocking laughter. Jaime continued his plea. "I was a broken man when I arrived in Essos. My body was shattered." He told her. "It took me so very long to heal from my injuries, and then again to travel to you." He needed to explain to her, but did not want her pity. He had earned none of the compassion he admired in her. "My only thoughts were of you, Brienne. The hope of returning to you and somehow winning back your love was the only reason I survived. You were all that kept me alive." He fought the tears that sprang to his eyes. "I love you. I have always loved you." He proclaimed.

Somewhere deep within Brienne an old rawness wanted to scream at Jaime that if he had loved her, he would not have left her. Part of her wanted to laugh in his face. There was even a bit of her that wanted to allow Tormund to unleash his fury upon Jaime. Then it occurred to her that Jaime's reasons, or even his actions in leaving her no longer mattered. It was the thought of her husband that settled her. She spoke with the assurance of a woman who had found all she wanted in life. She understood regretfully that Jaime was in pain and that she would have to destroy the hope that had sustained him for so long, but her heart and her loyalty now belonged to Tormund. Jaime had become but a painful memory for her, and one which now barely crossed her mind.

"I was a fool." Jaime shook his head mournfully. "I should never have left you." He admitted, the regret that had plagued him lining his face.

Brienne was quiet for a moment. She truly did not want to hurt Jaime, but she could not allow him to spend anymore time hoping for something that would never be. "Oh, Jaime." She began softly, and then looked at Tormund tenderly before continuing. "I thank the Gods that you did."

Brienne forced herself to continue. "Yes, I grieved when you left me. You hurt me deeply." Her troubled expression echoed her words. I mourned for you when the reports of your death reached Winterfell." She admitted. "I did want you then. I wanted you to have chosen me." Brienne shook her head remembering the pain at watching him ride away into the night. She grew silent, choosing her words carefully. When she spoke again there was no bitterness, there did not need to be. "Don't you see? There would have always been someone between us." Brienne did not need to speak Cersei's name, Jaime knew what she meant. Brienne's eyes were filled with compassion as she continued. Jaime could tell that the broken heart he had inflicted upon her had long since been healed by another. "I do not know what it was that we had back then. Perhaps it was love." She acknowledged. "You never gave us the chance to find out." Her tone became even more serious. Brienne moved her gaze to Tormund and reached for his hand. "What I do know, is that it was not like this." Tormund took Brienne's grasp in his and stood as proud as the day they had married. She held his eyes lovingly for a long moment as he returned her adoration.

Slowly, Brienne turned back to Jaime. "I am glad that I was able to give you comfort during your long recovery." She told him, trying to be kind. "I truly wish you the best of everything." She hoped for him. "And, I am sorry you have journeyed all this way." Brienne looked at Jaime sympathetically and shook her head softly. "But there is nothing here for you." With those words it was she this time who broke his heart.

Brienne looked at Tormund, all they had shared running through her mind. Nothing within her could imagine leaving her family. She would sooner give her life willingly than to separated from them. Gripping her husband's fingers even tighter, Brienne smiled, and although it was Jaime she was addressing, it was as if he were no longer there. Her words were a declaration to Tormund. "I am madly ...deeply ...desperately in love with my husband." Brienne announced, and stepped closer to the man she adored. The man she had married and made a home with. The father of her children. Tormund drew Brienne into his arms and held her close.

Jaime watched mournfully as Brienne and Tormund shared the passionate kiss of a strong and happy marriage. Seeing the love they shared thrust Jaime from his vision of the life he desired with her. He could almost see his dreams crumble to the ground before him. It was clear she had not loved him for a long time. Her heart truly did belong to Giantsbane. Jaime had given up his chance that she would ever be his when he climbed on that horse in the courtyard at Winterfell and rode away. She was someone else's wife. She was the mother of another man's children. She belonged here. This was Brienne's home, and her family. This was her world, now. For the first time Jaime realized that she would not go with him. He had made a choice long ago, and she had made hers. Although his heart was shattering inside his chest, he could not ask her to leave. She would not go. He certainly could not take her by force. She would hate him forever, if he tried. Jaime would have to love her enough to give her up, to give up even the hope of her. Her memory would need to be enough, forever. Perhaps it was his first step on the path to the honor he had always wanted, the honor that would have made him worthy of her.

Fighting the tears he knew would overwhelm him later, Jaime lowered his head in defeat. "Then there is no reason for me to be here." Jaime lamented, his entire body going numb at his heartbreak. His eyes fell upon Oathkeeper strapped at his waist. He pulled it from his belt and held it out to Brienne. "I brought this for you." He told her, hoping she would take it.

Brienne looked at the shining Valerian steel weapon that had so proudly hung at her side. She thought it strange that there was no longing in her to hold it once again. She realized that thoughts of Oathkeeper had been replaced by so many other thing, as had thoughts of Jaime. She was pleased that Lord Tyrion had taken such good care of it, "I am happy to see it has been so well kept." She smiled fondly.

"My brother took the responsibility with which you entrusted him, very seriously." Jaime agreed, then he paused and studied the blade. He ran his fingers over the hilt. "I told you when I gave it to you, that it is yours." Jaime repeated his vow of long ago. "It will always be yours." He stretched out his arm for her to take back her sword. He would have no need of it. He would leave it with her.

Brienne knew that he did not mean the weapon. The treasure he was asking her keep was his heart, just as it had been the day he presented her with the fine gift. Now however, she had no wish to possess it. It was the very reason she had needed to give up Oathkeeper. It had tied her to Jaime, and she had been desperate to move on with her life. She had done so, and she no longer needed it. Brienne shook her head slightly. "No, Ser Jaime." She refused. "I cannot accept it." She watched his shoulders fall.

He stood there struggling for a purpose that would cause her to take it. "You are Ser Brienne of Tarth." He straightened and said with pride. "A knight of the Seven Kingdoms needs such a glorious weapon." He declared.

Brienne smiled as she felt Tormund's child move within her. She brought her eyes to look upon him and their son. Then she smiled warmly at Munda and Anya beside them. Finally, bringing her attention back to Jaime, Brienne stood resolute. "I will always be Ser Brienne of Tarth. It is an honor I hold in the highest esteem. I will always be grateful to you for bestowing the knighthood upon me." She could feel tears welling behind her eyes. "But my name is Brienne Giantsbane, of the Free Folk, and it is everything I want to be." She smiled widely at Tormund, who returned her gaze proudly.

Jaime could not help but regard Brienne with awe. She had declared her identity as Tormund's wife, and as a Free Folk woman as proudly, and with as much conviction as the day she had knelt before him and accepted her knighthood. Even if she did not want him, Jaime could not help but feel his love for Brienne grow even more overpowering than the worship that had kept him alive since he had walked away from her. He knew there would never be anyone who would replace her in his life. He would love her until the day they laid him on his pyre, and after that, thoughts of her would be his salvation on whatever Hell would take him. Jaime understood that he would have to find a way to live with his heart broken and ripped from his chest. Standing in Brienne's home, surrounded by her family, Jaime knew he would be leaving the North alone. Without Brienne, there would be no hope, no joy except for the knowledge that she was happy, safe, and loved. It would be the only comfort he would ever have. Perhaps it was all he deserved.

Jaime swallowed the lump in his throat, and spoke from his heart. "I need you to know." He faltered, his mind reeling with all that would need to be left unsaid. "I am sorry." Jaime trailed off, unable to say anymore.

"I know." Brienne comforted, even as she leaned against her husband's supportive arms.

Jaime suddenly felt like an intruder. "I should go." He said quietly, taking a long last look at Brienne's astonishing blue eyes. Gods, he would always see them in his dreams. Brienne simply nodded her understanding.

"I will see you safely on your way." Jon offered, sheathing his sword. He wanted to ensure that Jaime Lannister was soon be far away from the people he considered family.

Jaime turned to go, clutching Oathkeeper to him, but stopped just short of the doorway. He straightened and inhaled deeply, his chest filling to its full girth. He wished to make himself appear the Lannister Lion that he wanted Brienne to remember. Jaime suddenly turned and retraced his steps until he was within arms reach of Brienne and her family. "Giantsbane." Jaime's tone rose with reluctant respect, as he held out his hand to shake that of the man who had won Brienne.

Tormund eyed him suspiciously and took a step in front of a Brienne to meet his rival. Jaime's hand remained outstretched, as a peace offering. "You are a lucky, lucky man." Jaime declared.

Tormund scrutinized Jaime for a moment. He had been ready to spring at the man who had proclaimed love for his wife. Now, he realized that Lannister had not truly been a challenger for Brienne's affections at all. He had to feel sorry for the man. He had once spent a time bemoaning the love Brienne did not feel for him. Now, it was he who possessed her heart, and the Kingkiller would be the one living the rest of his life without it.

Tormund reached out proudly and accepted Jaime's handshake. "That I am, Ser Jaime." He chose to invoke the man's title instead of the nickname he had always used to refer to him. "That I am." He repeated as he pulled back his arm and draped it confidently around Brienne. She was his, forever. Tormund gave Brienne a seductive look. She returned his gaze as if they were the only ones in the room.

After a long moment, Brienne turned her eyes from her husband's administration. "Goodbye, Ser Jaime." Brienne spoke formally. He could only stare at her for a moment, his eyes soft with the love he would always feel for her. Finally, Jaime lowered his head respectfully in their home, and left quietly without the prize he had hoped to attain. Jon followed him to guarantee he would not return.

Within the little skin hut, Tormund took Brienne in his arms. She relaxed into him, their little son between them. Anya and Munda embraced them both from behind. Husband and wife shared an amorous kiss that threatened to overcome their abilities to stop. The girls stepped away and rolled their eyes at each other. They were very used to the demonstrations of love their father and Brienne often enjoyed.

Without taking his eyes from Brienne who stared lustfully back, Tormund addressed his daughters. "Girls.." He began.

Anya interrupted him. "We know." She grinned. "Time to go." She nudged her sister, both trying to control their snickering. "Can we take Selmund?" She begged.

"Uh huh." Brienne nodded, smiling at Tormund. She slipped the baby from her hip into Munda's outstretched arms.

Desperately trying to hold their urges at bay for a while longer, Brienne and Tormund barely noticed as the girls bundled up Selmund and themselves. "We'll bring him back later." Munda told Brienne as they stepped through the door, knowing full well they would have to fight their mothers for anytime with the child. The enjoyment both Daggma and Hetty derived from caring for Selmund was well known, and they doted on the boy.

"That'll be fine, Dear." Brienne smiled, but could not tear her gaze from Tormund.

Finally alone, Brienne and Tormund had no reason to suppress their passions. They kissed each other hungrily, mouths searching and tasting as they began to relieve each other of their clothing. Wearing less, Brienne was the first to find herself standing in the room completely naked, her garment deposited unceremoniously on the ground. Her body shivered but not from the cold. She longed for the pleasures to come. She quickly disrobed her husband as their searching hands probed every inch of the other's flesh, setting their nerves on fire.

Tormund gathered Brienne up and held her close to his skin. He broke from their deep kiss and gazed into his wife's eyes. She smiled so lovingly at him that he could not breath. "I love you, Brienne Giantsbane." He smiled.

Brienne returned his stare with equal passion, so happy that it was him to whom she had given her heart, her love, and her life. She brought her hands to hold his face near her own. "I love you." She swore. "Always." Brienne declared. Bodies reacting excitedly to each other, need barely containable, Tormund carried Brienne across the room and laid her down on the bed to enjoy his rightful place as her husband.

—————————-
Outside, Jon led his horse into the woods as Jaime retrieved his mount. He was determined to see The Kingslayer as far from the Wilding village as he could, so that Jaime Lannister would burden his friends no more. Once Jaime was seated on the horse he had stolen at Hardhomme, they traveled slowly along the path that would take Jaime away from Brienne. They rode in silence for most of the way, climbing the towering rocky pass through the foothills that protected the encampment. Even after an hour, the small speck in the valley that was the village could be seen behind them.

Although, Jon sat pensively ready to dispatch Lannister should he present a problem, Jaime did not protest. There was no reason for him to put a fight. Brienne did not want him. She loved Giantsbane now. Even if Jaime had killed Tormund, Brienne would have avenged her husband's death. Perhaps he should have tried. Dying must have been preferable to leaving his heart on this Gods forsaken frozen wasteland. There was no place for him.

Jaime's thoughts were distracted by Jon's low,voice. "We should be past that rise by nightfall." He pointed to a mountain peak far ahead of them. "We'll make camp for the night then."

"How far do you intend to accompany me?" Jaime smirked.

"As far as I need to." Jon answered sternly. He could not help but feel a note of pity for Lannister. This day was obviously ending much differently than the man had hoped.

"I will not intrude upon them again." Jaime assured him. "It would do me no good, anyway." He answered, not taking his eyes from the trail.

"All the same." Jon insisted. "I'll see that you're safely on your way."

Jaime nodded, seeing that no amount of debate would change the young man's mind. From somewhere, he almost felt a kinship with Jon Snow. They had both killed their monarch's, and been reviled for doing so, even if they had no choice. He had stabbed King Aerys Targaryen in the back to save a city. Jon had plunged his dagger into Daenarys Targaryen's heart to save the kingdom. What he felt most keenly in common with Jon Snow, however, was that they had both lost the women they loved, through their own actions. He noted the coincidences between them in his mind, and continued on in silence, trying not to think of Brienne but failing miserably in that attempt.

As they reached the peak of the summit that would descend into yet another valley. Jaime drew his horse to a halt. Jon tensed, unsure what his charge was planning. He watched warily as Jaime's hand went to his belt, where the two massive swords hung. Jon started to reach for Longclaw, but Jaime waved off his fear.

"Do not be alarmed." Jaime shook his head. "I present no threat. He unlatched Oathkeeper from his side, and handed the great sword and it's scabbard to Jon. The younger man took hold of the weapon eyeing Jamie with confusion as the knight removed his own sword, Widow's Wail, and held it away from him as well.

"These swords were forged from the steel of Ned Stark's great weapon." Jaime began, avoiding Jon's questioning glare. "They protected Winterfell during the Battle." He continued, remembering how he and Brienne had stood together as one then against the dead. "I would ask that you please return them to Queen Sansa. They belong in Stark hands." Jaime admitted, lowering his head and giving possession of Widow's Wail over to Jon.

Jon accepted Jaime's peace offering, and bowed in reverence at his sacrifice, realizing the man posed no more danger. "What of you, Ser Jaime?" He asked. "You will need a weapon." Jon reminded him.

Without Brienne at his side, Jaime had no will to ever raise a sword again. "I have a dagger. It will be sufficient." He assured Jon.

"The Queen in the North will be grateful to have her father's steel back in it's rightful place." Jon spoke formally. "You have carried it well. Thank you, Ser Jaime." Jon nodded his praise.

Again, a quiet fell over the two riders as they continued their path to the south. The only sounds to be heard were the plodding of their horse's hooves through the snow, and the rushing of the howling wind. Every step took Jaime farther from the woman he loved. He would never see Brienne again.
——————————————
Later that afternoon, Brienne emerged happily from her hut. She was wrapped in warm furs, and held a large cooking pot. Gathering snow to melt on the fire, she readied to prepare a meal for herself and Tormund. They had spent the last glorious hours together reaffirming their love and commitment. Secure that their family was safe, Brienne understood that the hunt, and its success, had meant a great deal to Tormund this year and she insisted that he rejoin the other village men after she made sure he was well taken care of. She knew he had eaten nothing that morning, and after the events of the afternoon, she wanted to send him off happy and sustained in several ways.

As she bent stiffly and heavily to fill the cooking pot with snow, Brienne allowed herself to think one more time of Jaime. In her wildest imagination she could never have envisioned that he was alive, or that she would ever see him again. What had surprised Brienne the most about his reappearance was the lack of emotion she had felt for him. They had once meant so much to each other, she felt there should have been some lingering affection or even anger. As he had stood only feet from her, she realized that the only desire she held for him now was the hope that he would be blessed with a satisfying and full life, as she had.

Brienne's thoughts swirled joyfully with memories of Tormund, and the life they had built. She would not trade one moment with Tormund Giantsbane for a thousand lifetimes with Jaime Lannister. She smiled at the thought of how much she cherished her husband. She wished that Jaime had not suffered the physical pain he had gone through. She also regretted that he had spent so long dreaming of her only to have all his hopes dashed. She would never wish that kind of pain for him, she knew all to well how it felt. Brienne said a prayer to the Gods that Jaime would somehow find peace and happiness. She hoped that he would experience the same happiness that she had found.

As she stood, Brienne's eyes fell upon the tracks that led to the forest beyond. One of those sets of footprints belonged to Jaime. With the wind and the drifting snow, they would be gone by morning. There would be nothing left of him in her life. With that thought her gaze shifted to the pass that led from the village through the mountains. Brienne knew Jaime had been led away by Jon over those rocky slopes. He was truly gone, and she would never see him again.

She rested the cooking pot against her side, and breathed in the cold air deeply. "Farewell." She whispered in the direction Jaime would have left, a last dedication to what they had once meant to each other.

Brienne felt the soft flutter of her babe moving within her. The sensation brought her thoughts joyfully back to the present. Her hand lovingly caressed the bulge of her belly. She turned and made her way heavily back toward the little sanctuary within which her husband waited for her. Brienne bit her lip thinking about the man she loved, her eyes growing playful. She wondered if there would be time for more love making before dinner. Almost as the thought crossed her mind, she chuckled. What was she thinking? Brienne shook her head at her own folly and laughed out loud. She was married to Tormund Giantsbane. There was always time for love making.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

984 19 7
Jaime is alive. When he appears at Winterfell with hopes of winning back his true love, Brienne, events do not exactly unfold as he had planned. Wha...
35.9K 363 54
Game Of Thrones one shots. They won't all be romance. Some may be family or others just friends ❀️- lover, wife, gf etc πŸ–€- stranger, first meeting...
10.6K 340 16
She had told him that they could go somewhere warm, before. Somewhere that he could see the ocean, the blue oceans, not the muddy murky mess that lap...
48.2K 2.2K 69
❝𝒢𝓇𝑒 π“Œπ‘’ 𝒻𝒢𝓁𝓁𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 π“ˆπ“ƒπ‘œπ“Œ π‘œπ“ƒ 𝓉𝒽𝑒 π’·π‘’π’Άπ’Έπ’½βž Nymeria doesn't belong anywhere. She's out of place and if she's not careful, s...