Chapter 10

They traveled for several days further into the North, Tormund keeping an ever watchful eye on Brienne. The temperature dropped with every mile they rode. She felt as though her body was becoming used to the constant cold, and she was certain she had never seen anywhere more beautiful. While she was now vigilant for the ever present dangers of the frozen landscape, Brienne also felt herself growing comfortable here. It was if something was welcoming her home. Brienne rode at Tormund's side like she had always been there. It seemed like they had loved each other forever. She was eager to reach his village, to learn more of his ways, and to meet his family.

"Do you think your daughters will like me?" Brienne asked out of the blue as they stopped to rest. She did not want to tell him how nervous she had become at the thought of being introduced to his children.

Sensing her apprehension, Tormund removed his gloves and took Brienne's hand. He slid her fingers from the skin mittens that protected them, and warmed them with his breath as he kissed them gently. Pressing her hand to his chest, he answered with a wide smile. "They will love you." He said, leaning close to her, and kissing away her worries. Her relieved eyes as she smiled back, told him she believed and trusted him.

That same afternoon they followed a well worn path flanked on one side by a thick wilderness, and on the other by a vast frozen plain. It seemed to Brienne that Tormund's pace quickened, and she felt he was excited with anticipation. She grinned at his eagerness and wondered if she acted the same way when she visited her father at Evenfall. A short distance down the road, it came into view. A bustling encampment of a hundred or more round huts made from animal skins, each with smoke rising from openings in the center of their roofs. They turned off the footpath and steered their horses toward the village.

Their arrival had apparently attracted attention, as people began to gather at the edge of the settlement to await them. There were cheers and waves as they entered the village. Brienne was used to being stared at, however as they made their way slowly through the crowd it seemed everyone's gaze was transfixed on her. She assumed it was because she was an outsider. Brienne reminded herself that she would need her best diplomatic manners, especially since she was so unfamiliar with Free Folk culture.

They maneuvered through the crowd and deeper into the village. Their audience grew by the time they had reached the center of the circular settlement. At that point their progress was stopped as those who had gathered refused to make way for them any further. Brienne saw Tormund bristle and grow tense at her side. Suddenly a loud clamor arose from the crowd. Several men who stood watching them let loose an intense roar. They raised their weapons and waved them in the air. Tormund stood tall in his stirrups, and echoed the same sentiment even more fervently, shaking his sword above him.

Dismounting his horse agilely and self assuredly, Tormund stood close to Brienne as she did the same. He allowed almost no space between them, as if he were staking his claim. Unsure of whether she was considered friend or foe, Brienne was glad for the shield of his body and followed his every step. She was surprised at how reassuring she found it when his hand slid around her waist and guided her through the crowd. As they led their horses further toward the other side of the roughly trodden pathways, a few bystanders greeted Tormund happily. Some slapped him on the back and traded jokes. Some embraced him warmly. Others shook their heads and chuckled, amused at his usual bravado. After passing by a few rows of small huts, the crowd began to thin and give way for a clear route toward a modest structure on the outskirts of the camp. They had nearly reached the doorway of the skin covered round tent when they heard a high pitched squeal over their shoulders. Brienne turned to see two beaming young girls running toward them, each with shaggy manes of flaming red hair.

"Papa! Papa!" They shouted eagerly as they ran to Tormund and threw their arms around him.

Tormund bent down and scooped his daughters up in his arms, holding them both in a tight embrace and letting out a warm howl at seeing them. Brienne stood back cheerfully watching the loving reunion, her face glowing nearly as brightly as Tormund's. He was husband to neither of their mothers, yet it was clear to see the close bond they all shared. Her heart melted at the bright endearing smile that he wore proudly. Everyday she was discovering something else to love about him.