Save Lives // Derek Shepherd

By AbbeyManthey

In your life have you ever fallen for someone you know could never be yours? Evangeline Grey, the eldest daug... More

Cast
Season 1
CH. 1
CH. 2
CH. 3
CH. 4
CH. 6
CH. 7
CH. 8
CH. 9
Season 2
CH. 10
CH. 11
CH. 12
CH. 13
CH. 14
CH. 15
CH. 16
CH. 17

CH. 5

6.8K 156 6
By AbbeyManthey

Shake Your Groove Thing

So last night Liz passed away and today I have to deal with these rumors about a party that is being thrown at Meredith's house.  I had just walked out of a surgery on Mrs. Patterson's heart with Burke and Meredith. There was a complication, but she still made it. I came out of the hallway and saw Derek eating a salad.

"Hey, I heard Meredith did a CABG with Burke and you. Did she get to hold the heart?" Derek asked and I nodded continuing to walk. 

"I'll see you later, we are late." I explained as the elevator opened and I walked in with George.

"See you later." Derek said and I waved.

"Bye." I said before the doors closed and we rode the elevator in silence up. Later on that day i was standing by the nurses station in the lobby doing some paper work when Derek walked over and stood next to me.

"You ok?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm good." I said.

"Are you sure? Because you seem not ok." Derek said again and I shook my head.

"I'm fine. CABG was long." I explained.

"Well, let me take you out to dinner tonight. You can tell me all about it. Real food, waiters, big chunks of carbs in a basket." Derek said and I signed.

"I can't." I said walking away slightly to put the chart away.

"Forget about the party." Derek said and I looked up at him.

"You know about the party?" I asked in shock and annoyance.

"You're friends will be at the party. You and I can be alone somewhere else." Derek said but I ignored him and went back to how he knew about the party.

"How do you know about the party?" I asked.

"Thanks for not inviting me by the way, that felt good. Dinner, think about dinner. Perfect opportunity." Derek said before he started walking away and my pager went off. I ran over to Mr. Patterson, Meredith and Burke.

"I popped a glove." I heard Meredith say as I showed up. My eyes widened as I adverted my eyes to Mr. Patterson.

"Meredith I suggest you not say anything right now until we get to the OR." I suggested not wanting her to say anything in front of the patients husband. She didn't listen to me though.

"In surgery, when I was holding it, I popped a glove with my fingernail. I think I may have nicked her heart." Meredith confess and I groaned before glancing at Burke telling him to move.

"Let's go people." Burke yelled and we started rolling Mrs. Patterson back to the OR.

"I told you not to say anything in front of her husband." I said angry that now if Mrs. Patterson didn't live her husband had probable clause to sue us. We got into the OR and Burke started yelling at Meredith as he and I worked to figure out what happened.

"You had every opportunity to speak up before I closed her chest. Suction." Burke said in anger. I applied suction while glancing over my shoulder at Meredith.

"I'm sorry." Meredith said.

"And then you confess in front of her husband? You don't even know if you were the cause. You have no idea." Burke yelled again. I placed in a sponge before applying more suction.

"I'm sorry." Meredith said again.

"There. Over here." I said waving over to Meredith. She walked over and Burke and I showed her what had happened.

"There. Look at the wall rupture. It's a hell of a lot more than a fingernail. Her ventricular walls are weak." I explained before the OR door slides opened to reveal Chief Webber.

"I just had a conversation with Mr. Patterson. I want copies of his wife's chart in my office by 5:00. Tomorrow, the three of you meet with me and Legal, and you better damn well be able to explain what happened here." Webber said before turning and leaving the OR. Burke looked up at Meredith.

"You are gonna go back and talk to the husband. Review the history. Apologise profusely. Your ass is on the line here, Dr. Grey." Burke said before Meredith turned and left the OR. Burke and I finished up before I left the OR and stood on the walk way watching the outside road and car park. Derek walked over and I smiled at him.

"I heard about Meredith." Derek said standing in front of me leaning against the rail. I signed wrapping my arms around him not caring about other people.

"She will grow up. She will learn. She's just an intern. But we're adults. Jesus when did that happen?" I asked pulling away from the hug we shared. I started walking away before turning back to Derek with a smile.

"How can we make it stop?" I asked before turning again and walking away. I got home later that night to see hundreds of people inside and outside Meredith's house.

"Meredith is going to kill them." I expressed to myself. I chuckled before getting out of my car and entering the house. A few minutes later I was holding a beer and Meredith had walked in. She looked pissed before she grabbed a bottle and jumped up on the table with Christina and I and started dancing. I grabbed my bottle and walked out side and started dancing by myself on the front porch. I stumbled back and forward before I swayed to the music.

"You know, in some states, you get arrested for that." Derek's voice reached my ears, and I glanced up to see him leaning against his car. I smiled before I started making my way down to him. He walked towards me, and we met halfway.

"So, you blew me off for a bottle of tequila. Tequila's no good for you. Doesn't call, doesn't write. It's not nearly as much fun to wake up to." Derek said and I smiled at him before grabbing his tie pulling him closer to me before slowly placing my lips upon his. We pulled away and I smiled drunkenly.

"Take me for a ride, Derek." I asked and he nodded before we got into his car. He sat in the driver's seat as I climbed on top of him closing the door and continuing to make out.

"You know, it sounds like the party's winding down. Listen to me." Derek said moving my hair out of my face.

"What?" I asked trying to help him. "We should probably sneak inside now. We've done enough sneaking for the night. It was good sneaking, but enough sneaking." I said and Derek nodded helping me pull his shirt up my arms so that my body was covered.

"Yeah, today we're pretty good sneakers." Derek said. I smiled and leant down to kiss him when there was a knock at the passenger window. We snapped our heads over to see Bailey watching us.

"You mind moving this tail wagon? You're blocking me in." Bailey asked and I chuckled and buttoned up the shirt.

"Apparently not good enough." Derek said before I hoped out of the car. I kissed Derek one more time saying goodnight before waving to Bailey and walking inside to go to bed knowing I was going to wake up with a headache. 

--------------------------------------

I woke up the next morning on the ground to George handing Meredith and I some coffee.

"When is your meeting with the chief?" George asked us and I signed forgetting about it.

"In an hour." Meredith said. The door opened and Izzy walked in looking around confused.

"Holy mother of destruction." Izzy said placing down her keys. I chuckled.

"You missed Doctor-palooza." Meredith said and I looked up. Wow, I didn't even get to meet Izzy's boyfriend.

"Apparently, you didn't." Izzy replied taking off her shoes and plopping down next to George on the couch.

"I should probably never speak to you again." Meredith said. I chuckled before standing up and going up stairs to have a shower and get ready to leave. I was not looking forward to this meeting this morning.

----------------------

Meredith, Burke and I sat in Chief Webbers office. Meredith sat in a chair beside a lady from the legal team while Burke and I stood behind her. "So, I have done a lot of research on this, and Dr. Burke and Dr. Grey have been kind enough to help me. And I understand my responsibility in what I've done wrong here. However, I do think the patient's history is significant in this case. She still weighs 200 pounds, which is why no one even noticed it. But with that kind of a weight drop, it doesn't matter how much you weigh. You're anorexic." Meredith explained the patient's history in hopes that they would believe it wasn't her fault here.

"Along with all that fat, she was losing heart muscle." Burke concluded. Webber nodded.

"That certainly could be the reason for a small poke to become a large tear." Webber explained to legal but that wasn't what they cared about anymore.

"That still doesn't change the fact, though. The small poke wasn't reported by Dr. Grey at the time of the occurrence." Legal expressed pointing her hand towards Meredith.

"And if I could change that..." Meredith started but the legal lady cut her off.

"And you can't. You've left yourself and the hospital open to tremendous liability." Legal stated and I shook my head in disagreement.

"No. Not if the patients weight loss caused the problem." I informed but legal didn't listen to me.

"I'm sorry. I have no choice here..." Legal started but Burke cut her off.

"I've spoke to the husband. And I believe that as long as his wife remains stable.." Burke expressed but that's not really how this works.

"I can't take your beliefs to the bank, Dr. Burke. Dr. Grey made a huge error here." Legal stated and I signed.

"And she reported it." I said but Legal shook their heads.

"Too late. And in front of the patient's husband." Legal said.

"But she reported it. She spoke up. Five years ago, as a CT fellow, I had a nagging feeling that I didn't check the body cavity of a lung patient closely enough before I closed. The patient seemed fine post-op, and I was in a hurry. And yesterday you and Dr. Bailey pulled a towel out from under that patient's lung. Why didn't I report it at an appropriate time? Maybe because I was afraid that I would be called into a meeting where some hospital lawyer's fear of liability could end my career. Even great doctors make mistakes, and when we do, we've got to have a chance to speak up without fear of retribution. Or everyone suffers. Dr. Grey spoke up." Burke explained, confessing to his own mistakes in the past. I signed and nodded remembering a time when I stuffed up badly. After that Webber let Meredith and I go. I walked out and Derek walked over.

"Evie. You okay?" Derek asked and I nodded.

"Yeah. Meredith got a one-month probation." I explained and Derek nodded.

"That's good." Derek said before giving me a hug and leaving saying he had some post-ops to check on. Meredith and I walked over to the other interns.

"Burke saved her ass in there." I expressed linking my arm into Meredith's. Bailey came and we all walked away. She paused in front of me, waiting for the interns to leave. I looked at her confused.

"So....you and that McDreamy? I think those interns call him." Bailey said in a joking manner. I scoffed at the nickname and shrugged as we walked together.

"Yeah, I guess so. I promise Meredith won't get any special treatment." I spoke. Bailey nodded slightly before humming and walking in the other direction from me.  I went to the attendings lounge and changing to go home. What a day it had been.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

107K 1.6K 23
Esmay Grey moved back to seattle a month ago after being away since the age of two. She moved back to give her fiance his dream job and to be close t...
64.5K 2.2K 50
Her secret is safe, but she is not. Will Derek be able to see her suffer but not help her? Meredith Grey , the smart and gorgeous daughter of Ellis...
777K 12.2K 200
Delilah Shepherd. Daughter of the legendary neurosurgeon Dr. Derek Shepherd. Derek Shepherd became a single father at the young age of 14 and never l...
249K 4.8K 66
This story's about Meredith having a baby at 15 and then 14 years later she moves from Boston to Seattle because of Ellis. Ellis isn't in this btw