MAD

By cvilyn

Wattys Shortlist 2022 - When she isn't looking, they call her the Princess of the Ghouls, but they haven't se... More

disclaimer
prologue
chvpter 1
chvpter 2
chvpter 3
chvpter 4
chvpter 5
chvpter 7
chvpter 8
chvpter 9
chvpter 10
chvpter 11
chvpter 12
chvpter 13
chvpter 14
chvpter 15
chvpter 16
chvpter 17
chvpter 18
chvpter 19
chvpter 20
chvpter 21
chvpter 22
chvpter 23
chxpter 24
chxpter 25
chvpter 26
chvpter 27
chvpter 28
chvpter 29
Vi's Note
chvpter 30
chvpter 31
chvpter 32
chvpter 33
chvpter 34
chvpter 35
epilogue
HERATIX

chvpter 6

1.1K 54 14
By cvilyn

<3 <3 <3

...

The stench of the reservoir kicks me in the nose, and I wrinkle my face, glad for the new knife wedged in my belt. I couldn't bring my gun in party clothes because people would notice, so I put Reid's knife on display just to piss him off. "Yeah, but then that text showed up in my eye and I got all, antsy and shit so I tried to silence my fuckin' phone, but then he saw the fuckin' gun. But, but that don' matter, what I wan' know is why the fucking setting won't cooperate because it should let me programme it to silence notifications from the devices it's synced to." I speak into my phone, downing the last of my drink before I toss it at the rotten lake.

Scor snickers, "So, you're asking me about notification settings?"

I grumble through a pull of my cigarette, "Fuck off-." But he starts laughing.

"I'll fix it in the morning, yeah? It sounds like it's bugging cause remember how mine let me deactivate it after I got that text in the middle of screwin' around with Elxi..." The phone clatters, like it was knocked out of his hand, "Fuck, fuck sorry, no cunt wait I think I smashed it-."

"Scor?" I laugh, and he groans over the other end.

"I just fuckin' footy kicked it across the back porch, swear to god. Fuck," He cusses one more time, "Oh wait it's fine. Nevermind, but close call-. Oh shizznit Sphynx is here. And now I can't find my damn shoe... but yeah, I'll fix it. Tomorrow. Please don't get married till then, yeah? Even if this Hito is hot or some shit."

Shizznit? He's such a hot mess, swear to god. It makes me laugh.

"Alright, alright, but bets are off if he's tall and hot, okay?"

"Oh yeah, save some for me then."

"Ew, threesome." I gag, and he barks a laugh.

"I'd get you off."

"Ew!"

He chortles like a satisfied piglet, "Ew," He mimics, "Anyway, love you. Wish me luck."

"Love you more. Good luck." The line blinks, toning out, but I look at my phone funny as I try to remember what I'm wishing him luck for.

The moon sparkles atop the black water, and rotten ships poke through the dead lake.

The Cruella container-yard moans under the moonlight. Each container cries rusty tears from flank to flank as I trudge through the gravel. I look at my phone once again, but my smile reflects off the glass and I wince. I look like a dork, and worse, I still have twelve hours to get through before I can get away from this shit. I pull on my cigarette again, needing it this time.

Not even the thumping speakers can cheer me up—the bass throbs in the air. Heavy, hypnotic.

Since I disappeared last winter, I've stuck out like a sore thumb. The only one who actually took me back was Elias, but that's because he was the one who looked after me when I was sick. Then his kid, Binnie, accidentally let it slip to my father that I was in the city and I had to jet. I ran off with Scor, partied it up in Holders Bay and, did stupid shit like travelling with the Manics... hella jobs. I chew my lips. Okay, enough jobs to put Scor and I onto some elite contacts, that are bare scary sometimes.  That's when I had my eSight contact implanted. Nine hundred and twenty thousand dollars worth of illegal as fuck tech. Oops. I guess?

That's what I'm going back to, because the time since I came back has felt like the longest months of my life. I want time to go quick again.

I take another drag, blowing smoke in the wind, "You working, love?" Someone shouts, and my heart skips, but I hide the bout of fear and ignore them, straightening my shoulders.

"Come on!" The gravel crunches when two painfully familiar men begin to follow me. Mal and his little hyena, Trent.

I sneer, pulling a long drag until the filter burns my lips before I flick it at the dock. "Yo Vi!" Mal's voice is nasalised and shrill.

When I ignore them his puppy chimes in, "Princess!" Trent hoots, my skin crawling.

The Cruella is within running distance, but I force myself to take measured, unwavering strides when I see Elias smoking with a group of guys.

Mal lurches forward and grabs my elbow. "Come on, Violet," He growls, "You don't wan' be rude, do you?"

His scarred eyebrows angle inward and his crumpled nose makes a fist on his wart covered face. The filiform warts are pronged and spiked. His beady black pupils take up his whole iris, and putrid liquor rolls off his tongue into a rank puff of steam.

"Let go." My voice is stern as Mal stares at me with too much white in his eyes. Crazy like a Zero. Mad man. I glare at him harder, letting him see I'm comfortable with crazy. He's drug-crazy, though, not M.A.D crazy.

He takes a swig of his drink then shoves the bottle against my bottom lip. "Drink. What you say? Come say hello to me friends." He yanks me, pressing himself against my hip. "I don' wan' play games-."

I wrench free and point my knife at him, making him step back and raise his arms in surrender. I fix him with a glare as I take a step back, but when I turn away, he lunges at me and I careen around, digging a nasty cut into his cheek.

Shit.

Mal hisses like a snake, grabbing his wound but I kick him and he skids to the floor, landing on his ass and palms.

"Vi!" A familiar voice interrupts and stones ping against the shipping container as Elias bolts over the last of the gravel. "Oi mate, you nasty fückin' cünt you touch her I'll curb-stomp your piss-ugly mug!" He shouts, but I grab his arm before he can do any real harm.

"I'm fine," I mutter, jerking him away when he kicks dirt and stones in Mal's face. Trent pulls his much older friend to his feet and they both turn on their heels.

"Ain't no use, Mal, we's gon' get her later. Yeah? Yous hear that! Yous fückin' watch you backs!" Trent tries to soothe as he pulls him away.

Shit.

I blink in mute shock. As feral as Lake Darling is, that was not normal. I shiver, disliking that an insignificant lowlife fuck like that actually managed to rattle me.

Upon seeing the ghost of nerves that possess my face, Elias arcs up again and throws his crooked middle finger in the air, "Fück off, feral mutt!" He shouts, then he flicks his denim collar and smooth's his fresh cut hair, peacocking the detailed line-art on the side of his head. His sun-kissed skin glows under the firelight, and the Ghoul tattoo on his neck winks at me.

It reminds me that I have the same tattoo on my sternum... that didn't age well. Elias glances at me, then he wraps an arm around my neck and tugs me to the door. "You alright?"

"Yeah." I scowl, "Thanks." I add in a softer voice.  The gravel hardens into concrete and Elias tightens his arm to take a drag of his cigarette. I catch a drift of his smoke, his sandpaper cheek grating my temple.

"Fuck, it looked kind of intense." He remarks, side-eyeing me to gage my expression.

"Yeah," I glance at my outfit, "I dressed prude as too. I have no idea what got him so stiff out."

"That cunt is fucked in the head, I saw him and his dip-shit friends passing a mask around earlier," He seems to be biting back the urge to storm back over and crack his fist into Mal's wart covered face. Masks are a hard drug composed of inhaled stimulants, new-age opioids, and plane old tranquillisers. Every high you can get, mixed in one.

"Was all good though." I mutter, deciding to dismiss the encounter outright.

"I know you could've handled it, but now I can tell Binnie that I saved your ass." He grins, wiggling his soot-streaked brows at me.

I bark a laugh, "He's never gon' believe that."

Elias laughs, taking another drag before he offers me a pull. The Cruella looms above us like a set of shark jaws. The daggy, abandoned factory is composed of rusty corrugated iron that's missing in most parts. Burly men duck in and out of the doors, gangly women hanging off their arms; firelight paints the night air, music thumping.

"Feels like I haven't partied with you since ages." He says as he beholds the drunken mayhem, but then he ruffles my hair, "We should get fücked up."

I open my mouth to say no, but then I realise I leave tomorrow, and a small smile creeps onto my face when I imagine what a good night we could have, "Why not?"

"Really?" He beams just as we enter the warehouse, but then he smacks drinks with a burly guy who glances at me drunkenly. "Yo Masaki! See you in there, yeah?"

I squirm with anticipation, looking at the Cruella's gaping jaws, practically itching to go in. A wave of bass vibrates through me and my eyes nearly roll in ecstasy.

"You got Binnie tonight?" I raise my voice over the noise.

"The little fücker's wit' Shelly." Elias takes my chin, inspecting my face, "I like this," He chucks a forefinger at the black line extending from my bottom lip down into my lowcut shirt. Then he gestures in a circle at my smoky makeup. "You clean up well, just gotta fix a few things."

"Is Shelly here I really wanted to see him." I have to say goodbye to the kid.

"Nah, nah, back at the Cut." He releases me, shoving a new dart in his mouth as he bends to pull my knife belt lower, loosening the buckle so it's sits low on my hips.

My heart clenches when I realise I'm not going to see him again, "Really?" I croak.

"Mini, don' worry, you can drop him at the kid school on Monday if you really want." Elias stands back again, then he darts forward and pulls my shirt lower, roughing my hair up at the sides.

"I'm busy Monday-." I grunt when he pulls harder, rousing my attention, "What you doin' to me?" I take another swig, not bothering to fight Elias. He fusses over my appearance like he does to his son before he drops him off at the kid-school in the gardens. Is he pimping me? First dad, then E. "You're actin' Nona." I smile, a wave of grief-tinged sentiment washing over me.

He smiles sadly, though Elias draws his brown brows tight in concentration, playing into the role of a clucky grandma as though he's impersonating her. The edge of a grin sneaks out, "Yeah, doin' her proud. See? That's better. You gon' make him crazy."

"Who?" I cough around a mouthful of liquor.

"Come, let's get a few drinks in you." He gestures but I respond by downing a fair gulp of his booze and he snickers. "Leave me some?"

"Who?" I push with a cheeky grin.

Elias has the guile to smirk as he gestures deeper into the party, "Come find out." The bass throbs in the air, ebbing through me.

Men and women stumble past, sprawled out on tires and couches, shouting over the music with jaded smiles. Laughter. Tokyo would love this. He would be the spotlight of the party, shaking his golden mane of curls in the firelight, peacocking whatever girl he was with.

I miss my brother.

The thought makes my tongue taste sour, and my smile slips.

"What's wrong Vi?"

I look at Elias quickly, "Nothing."

"Is it because of this Hito stuff? Don't worry, I can come visit you in the Haven whenever." He tries to cheer me up but my skin goes cold, "Plus, it's not gon' be a real marriage. You're gon' spy for us."

Everyone knows. Everyone, knows.

I look away, trying to stifle myself. "Are you pimping me for Hito?" I hiss.

"No," He splutters, "Fuck no, Jesus," He balks, "Myers. Baby. It's him party."

My stolen knife grows heavy on my belt when I realise exactly how this looks. My father has publicly traded me for Reid; traded his own daughter, for a traitor.

"I need to go," I snarl but Elias grabs my arm gently.

"No, please don't. I barely get to see you," His pleading eyes makes me soften into sadness. He doesn't even know that this could be the last time we ever see each other. It would be selfish to leave him in the lurch like that.

I swallow lightly, pasting a smile on my face like Tokyo would've, but then it occurs to me what he'd actually said, "Wait Myers?!" I smack his arm, "Cunt no, are you clapped he's such a prick!"

Elias chortles out a laugh, "Yoh I knew you were gon' be like we were when we was kids," He laughs, "Ew, cooties," he imitates, flaring his fingers out like a child who's about to run away squealing.

I laugh, pointing my forefinger in threat, "Dead set, you're clapped if you think I'm gon' start making eyes at him. Serious. It'd be like, betraying myself."

He laughs louder, "Fine. Fine. I won't try anything... so long as you stay."

My apprehension dissolves when I sight his earnest brown eyes, full of warmth. "Okay," I grin a little, "I'm gon' ignore this shīt with Hito tonight, so we can have a good time." My smile becomes real, but then it weakens. I was meant to be having a tame night because I hike out tomorrow... but I've hiked with the infection which is sure as hell worse than a hangover, "Last hoorah?"

He rolls his eyes, "Bītchass you're acting like you're about to leave the damn city. But yes, let's get fücked." He wiggles his brows and yanks a fresh plastic baggie out of his denim jacket.

A toxic smile spreads over my lips and I take a little pink pillie quickly, slipping it between my teeth as he starts gesturing ahead. "It hits in ten and wears off in two hours, so lemme know if you wan' more, yeah?"

"Ten?" Jesus he must've paid a decent fee for chems like this.

He bounces his chin, "Best for you, missy."

I swallow, rolling my eyes at his flattery in joking dislike, before I kiss his temple in thanks, "One's good." I make a mental note to remind him to check behind the junk drawer in his room. I left five racks of money there last week.

"Yeah, you're too scrawny for more," He pokes, "Come sit with everyone." He wraps his arm under my jacket, curling his fist around my waist as we walk to a group sprawled out on the couches.

"Why you being such a flirt?" I look up at him.

"Just wait." He murmurs, then pastes an entertainer's smile on for the group, "Look who I found!" Elias kisses my cheek, pulling me into him. What is this kid playing at? He's never so touchy. The drinks settle in my stomach, but I chug another gulp, begging the music to pulse through me.

I make eye contact with Cola, no, Nyx. Her features are angular and fox-like and her brows are perfectly arched; her lips are carved into the shape of an angel's bow. Like all the city girls, her makeup is smoked around her eyes, but behind she harbours a hungry glare.

I notice her jacket, and a shot of rage whips its lash. So, my mother used my coat to pay Cola. We share a hostile look, but I slide my attention away with a curled lip.

Elias holds eye contact with a dark-haired guy, but the world slurs out of focus for a moment. In my splendour, it takes a moment for my eyes to catch up. I got through a couple drinks before this, but I didn't think they'd put me in the swing until later. I guess my tolerance for drink is down because I haven't partied in a few months.

He leans back into the pillows with one knee cocked and the other leg stretched out long and proud, his muscular arm braced on the tattered headboard. He glares back at Elias with a drink hovering near his lips, irritated, before, begrudgingly, he finally ordains to bring his dark gaze to mine.

I accidentally let my eyes slip to his sharp jaw and the muscular slope of his neck where I sight the faint outline of a tattoo, but I quickly pull my wondering attention in check and greet him with a cool smile.

Dressed up for the party, I realise how much of him has changed... meaner, stronger, colder. Bigger. The Yakuza did him well. Even in my state, I catch his gaze slipping down and his lips part against his bottle as he tips his head back. His tattooed bicep lurches, but other than that his features remain stone cold.

"You didn't recognise me?" Reid says over the music, and the double meaning in his voice rings true. He thinks I only put two and two together now. I hope he's stupid enough to think I'm just rich and spoilt enough to have received the gun as a gift, but judging by the smug glare on his dangerous features, I won't get off that easy.

I roll my eyes but it makes his lips tug in a cocksure smirk, his amusement tinged with irritation.

The condescending prick thinks he has the upper hand, but I'm not stupid.

"Four years is a long time." I snark, "Have you talked to Tokyo?"

Reid's glare blackens, his dark brows flinching at my brother's name, "We didn't leave things on good terms." He remarks. I laugh coldly, and it snags his intrigue because he narrows his eyes. "That funny, is it?" He bristles.

"You two mending bridges yet?" Elias returns his attention to us, glancing down at me then at Reid who arches a regal brow.

"Fück that." I mutter and Elias squeezes my waist chidingly as if to say 'be nice.'

"Vi was just saying that she's glad she got to see me before her wedding." Reid's gravel tone drives me mad and his narrow smile makes me see red. I have to restrain myself.

"Were you now," Elias smiles, "Well I'm glad you've been making him feel so welcome. You enjoying your party man?" His tone picks up a chiding hint, like he's warning him to stop being such a prick.

Reid raises his bottle in mock cheers, returning his attention to me, "To being your father's bītch... still," His eyebrows bounce and a bitter sneer graces his angular features as he downs the rest of his drink.

The song changes and the speakers pop and crackle. Elias says something to Masaki, but a wave of ecstasy hits me and the world slurs into bright lights.

I sink into Elias as the world glows in and out of focus. Reid watches Elias's hand cupped on my hip, fixing on his knife strapped to my waist. Warm, supple honey rolls down my back, the bass throbbing against me till I nearly wilt my eyes closed in bliss. The pillie hasn't even hit yet and I'm already swimming... to be fair I haven't eaten in a while.

Cola rises and saunters over to Reid, letting people admire her long legs as she sits beside him and curls a hand around his knee. He takes her waist, his other hand draped over his muscular thigh. She smiles at him, but he just shares another silent glare with Elias.

Cola's little show reminds me how aesthetically pleasing their little relationship is. They're both hot, and she likes to peacock it to every bitch in the room.

A tattoo peaks from under his sleeve and I'm overcome with the urge to look, but I stifle the drunken impulse. Jesus he got really hot.

Elias takes Cola's old seat, pulling me onto his lap, "Give me that, looser," He takes his drink back and tips it in his mouth.

"Do you like my jacket, Vi?" Cola perks up, "Your mum was so sweet for picking such a nice one." She purrs but I grimace in return.

"I'm sure she chose it with you in mind." I drill a glare at the gorgeous fur jacket, ignoring how much it stings to see it on her. I risked a lot to steal that.

I itch the claw mark on my forehead, frowning lightly at the irritating sensation. "How is Hope, Vi?" Reid asks, his deep voice steady, but when I stiffen, he watches me sharply. Concern?

My mum was always good to him. Better than his own mother.

Elias squirms, squeezing my wrist quickly. "Uh, Vi's mum is..." Mad. He clears his throat.

A wave of pity and guilt swamps me, and I flex my knuckles again, absently inspecting the scratches up my arms. Amongst my suite of rings, the gold one she took a liking to glints. My jaw aches and I realise that I want to cry, but I cuss silently. It's the pillies and drinks. First, I'm giggling at Cola, now I'm biting back tears. Damn stupid.

"—Sick at the moment." Elias finishes, and Reid narrows his eyes.

I wish Tokyo could come cheer mum up, he was always so much better than me.

I take Elias's drink and sink the remainder of it, gritting my jaw as hot tears brim my eyes. Fück. I try to sober myself up but everything spirals into a tangible sense of... estrangement.

My status is verging on outlaw, tomorrow I'm gon' be a traitor. Like Reid. I look at him, and the party seems to zone away like it's somehow pulsing out of reality.

I'm slapped with the fact that I'm no better than the prick I've despised since my brother enlisted. I'm leaving the only place I've ever called home because I'm too scared to stand up to my bastard of a father. I'm betraying Elias, abandoning his son who's like a nephew to me.

I really should've eaten before I drank all this, but I gave my last ration to mum, and I can't spend my money in Lake Darling because it garners too much attention. Fuck maybe I shouldn't have left Elias so much cash. The dumbass could get himself if trouble.

I notice Cola whispering in Reid's ear, her lips twisting into a venomous smile. "Hope hates Vi because she stole Tokyo's throne." She hisses.

It cuts me so deep that I freeze entirely. We make eye contact, and I know she sees my pain because she flinches like she didn't expect to see me upset.

I didn't mean for her to see.

Her glare dies, replaced by a guilty, regretful expression that reminds me of when we were kids... As quickly as my tears welled, anger bubbles up my throat and I let out a cruel laugh as I climb to my feet, "I'm gon' find a friend I wanna say goodbye to." Who am I kidding? Elias is the only person who took me back. I don' got friends in this city.

Reality slopes, but in a pleasant way. "Say goodbye?" Cola coughs, trying to get up, but I spin to fix her with a foul glare, laying my hand on the blade I stole from Reid.

She freezes, her eyes flinching in terror, chilling me to the bone. She's that scared of me?

I turn around and grab the pack of cigarettes I stole from Elias, "E, you wan' a dart?" His alarmed expression falters and he starts patting his pockets before realising I took them.

"Give'em back!" He bounces up, already grinning.

He stole some off me last week anyway.

...

hiyaaa

here's Reid's inspo hehe

i hope everyone enjoyed!!! <3 <3 <3

I'd love to be friends on Insta and Tiktok too, I always follow back!! (and for writing enquiries email me at: cvilyn7@gmail.com)

Instagram: cvilyn_

Tiktok: cvilyn

.*✮..•☽.✩.*COMMENT .•*.⋆*.*✮
.⋆.*✮.⋆*.•☽.* VOTE .*⋆ .•☽.*.⋆*
⋆.*✮.*✮.⋆*. FOLLOW ⋆*✩•.*✮.⋆*

only if u want! no pressure <3 <3

All my love!

CVILYN

CAILYN

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4M 215K 78
To start over. That's what Alex Rose needed, after that night. That's what drove her out of her home in London, to New York, halfway across the wor...
279K 12.9K 54
❝ I'm as much a bad-boy as you're an average girl. So I suppose that answers both our questions. ❞ •♤• Lila Smith's life was a perfect routine. Until...
201K 10.3K 50
{Wattys Shortlist 2022} A one night stand is turned inside out when two strangers discover their shared past. After a skydiving excursion that ends...