Competing for the Dominant

By Sara_Bryan_

Quinn has a problem. He's got a crush on Daniel Knight, the Head Dominant of The Muse Den. After almost two m... More

Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three

Fourteen

13.1K 506 101
By Sara_Bryan_

Daniel

I was surprised to pull up to my house and find Charlie's car in the driveway. When I opened the door, it was quiet and I wondered if he had slept here last night.

As I opened my bedroom door, my jaw dropped. Oh, Charlie had slept here alright and so had someone else. I banged on the door and they both sat up.

"Danny! You're home! I was hoping—"

"Get out. I want you moved out by tonight. Do not come back ever. If you do, I will call the police for trespassing and harassment,"

The other guy scrambled out of the bed, threw on a few items of clothing, and scrambled out of the room. Charlie sat up and pouted slightly. He let the comforter drop away from him and stood.

"Why don't you like me, Danny? Aren't I good enough for you?"

"You were until you left me. Then you came back and I thought it would be okay. But now, I've found out what you've done and I don't know why I ever let you back into my life. So, take your clothes, take your fuck buddy, and get out of my house!"

Charlie rolled his eyes, but complied. He stopped at the doorway, "I don't know why you're so uptight about me sleeping with someone else. It's not like you didn't spend the night at Quinn's,"

I shut the door in his face and watched from the window as he drove off. I took a deep sigh of relief and let my head droop. There was a soft whine and my head shot up. I ran towards my office and I found Stella in her cage. I didn't put her in there unless we were traveling somewhere and she looked absolutely miserable.

"Hey, baby girl! Hi princess. I'm home. I wish I could stay, but don't worry. I'll only be gone for a few hours and then we'll have an us day, okay. And maybe I'll bring Quinn. You like Quinn,"

She wiggled her butt around and nudged her nose with mine. I realized what she wanted so, I took her out. Thankfully, she did her business so I didn't have to worry about cleaning anything up.

When I got back inside, I paused in my bedroom. Those sheets and that mattress were going to have to go, but they would have to wait until I got back.

As I opened my closet, I sighed at the two sides of clothing. To make it easier, I grabbed all of Charlie's clothes and threw them onto the bed. I grabbed everything that was his, in fact, and tossed it all onto the bed. I grabbed the sheets' ends and folded them up. I tied the corners and placed the makeshift bag by the front door and left a piece of paper with Charlie's name on it. If someone else happened to come by and pick it up, that would not be my fault.

I took a deep breath, feeling refreshed already. I took a quick shower, not bothering to wash my hair since I was short on time. I changed into a button-up and jeans and faced Stella, "Well, what do you think? Handsome enough?"  I bent down and kissed her head. She whined a little so I headed towards the kitchen to get her food.

"Alright, be good Stella! I'll be back, I promise!"

I texted Quinn, letting him know I was on my way. As I headed out of my neighborhood, I felt anxious, but a good sort of anxious. This was going to be good. I hoped.

Quinn

I laid down on my bed as soon as I heard the front door close and quickly grabbed my phone. I stopped from dialing the number. He said he would be happy, but I almost didn't want to tell him yet.

Making up my mind, I pressed the call button and put it on speaker.

"Hello? Quinn?"

"Alex, hi. Is this a bad time?"

"No. I'm on my lunch break. Is everything okay?"

"He did it. He broke it off with Charlie. I told him everything too. He knows what Charlie's been up to,"

"That is exciting. So why don't you sound more enthused?"

"Annie and I talked beforehand and she asked how I would feel if Daniel did break it off with Charlie and I told her I didn't want to be a second choice and the last night when we were talking, I just kept feeling like if someone hadn't said something, Daniel would've kept seeing Charlie and he and I would've never had a chance. I want to give him a chance. I've liked him for months now, but I feel like he's only chosen me because I've outed Charlie,"

"That is quite the dilemma. Are you going to see him again any time soon?"

"He's going to lunch with his parents and he's invited me. I've already met them before, so it's not really like he's introducing me for the first time. Why do you ask?"

"Just curious. What has he said about Charlie? Is it completely done?"

"From what I understand, Daniel's kicking him out before tomorrow. I think Daniel had a wake-up call last night named Ken and Quinn. I think he's kinda realized that Charlie isn't the sweetheart he thought he was. Do you think I should give him a chance?"

"You keep asking me questions that I can't answer. Quinn, I am happy to call you a friend and help you sort through issues, but I can't answer questions about your feelings. Can I give you some small advice?"

"And what advice is that?"

"You said Daniel wanted to ask you to be in a contract before Charlie even came back. Sounds like to me, he was the second choice. Not you. Daniel just lost focus. Maybe you don't have to trust him right away or immediately go into a contract, but see how this lunch goes and go from there. Take it at your own pace, even if that pace is slow,"

"How do you always know what to say?"

Alex laughed, "It's my job. Let me know how lunch goes, okay? I gotta go and don't forget what I said,"

I hung up with Alex and sighed. I needed something small to eat before I did anything else. I didn't want to be starving at lunch, but I also didn't want to be full.

As I searched the cabinets for a small snack, I noticed a folded up piece of paper. I opened it and smiled as I recognized Daniel's handwriting.

Quinn,

Thanks for letting me stay the night. I promised you that I would start showing you that you aren't a second choice and I intend to keep it starting now.

Remember what I said. If you need me, for whatever reason, I will pick up the phone.

P.S. Peach is my new favorite smell :)

I ran my fingers over the letters and couldn't help the small grin on my face. I set the note back down and grabbed a protein bar from the cabinet.

I quickly showered, using the peach soap again. I wondered if Daniel would comment on it or if he would just let it go. I had never been to Cindy's Catfish Place, so I did a quick search of the menu and atmosphere before choosing what I was going to wear. I decided on a V-neck plain black shirt with a thin jacket over it with jeans. I left my hair down as it was nicer outside than it had been a while. I did grab a hair tie just in case though.

🖤

Daniel got out of the car as I stepped out of the building, "Hey, you look nice," he grinned and opened my door for me. My heart raced slightly and I blushed.

"Ah, thanks, Daniel. You look nice too. How's Stella?"

Daniel's face darkened slightly and he didn't answer as he started the car, "I got home and Charlie was in my bed with someone else. I kicked him out, left his things on the porch, and got ready. I found Stella in her cage. I never put her in there and I can't believe he did,"

"I'm sor—"

"Don't apologize. This is my fault. I'm the idiot who let him back into my life. Anyway, enough of that. He's gone and if he comes back, that's what restraining orders are for. Today, I want to be able to relax and enjoy quality time with my parents,"

"I don't think I've ever heard someone actually say they enjoy their parent's company. Except for Zade, but his family lives in Missouri, so he never gets to see them,"

Daniel nodded and I noticed his grip on the steering wheel loosened a little. He turned up the radio slightly and took a deep breath. We were silent for most of the car ride, save for the radio.

When we arrived, I turned towards Daniel, "Would you mind braiding my hair? It's just too hot to leave it down," Daniel nodded and I gave him the hair tie. Just like last time, he was gentle. Using his fingers to untangle it, he quickly braided my hair.

"Come on. Don't wanna be late," As we walked in, Daniel looked around for a minute before he broke into a grin. He pulled me towards a table in the back.

His parents, Greg and Edna, were waving and grinning until they noticed me and their faces went slack slightly.

"Danny, you didn't tell me you were dating Quinn,"

I noticed Daniel tense slightly at his mother's use of Danny. That nickname would probably be forever ruined because of Charlie, "Well, you didn't give me much of a chance, now did you? And we're just friends, Mom," Daniel pulled out a chair and gestured for me to sit down. Edna's eyebrow shot up and she gave me a small smile.

"Hello, dear. How've you been?"

"I've been good. How have you been, Mrs. Knight?"

"Please, call me Edna. I told you that before, especially since you and Daniel are friends. I've been very well, thank you for asking. Would be better if Daniel called me more often,"

Daniel rolled his eyes and picked up the menu, avoiding his mother's look. I laughed and he shot me a look similar to Edna's.

"So, what's your big news?"

Edna and Greg beamed, "Your father won the company lottery and we get to have our thirty-fifth anniversary on a cruise around the Bahamas. You know that Turks and Caicos is on my bucket list and I finally get to go,"

"That's amazing. Congratulations, guys," I said and Edna patted my hand.

"Yes, agreed. Congrats Dad. I know you've been wanting to win that for a few years now," Daniel said and I could see the interest and enthusiasm on his face the entire time Edna talked about what they were going to be doing on the cruise.

🖤

We spent the rest of lunch talking and laughing. It was the most I had laughed in weeks. When we said our goodbyes, Edna made Daniel promise to bring me over more often and I swear, Daniel actually blushed.

On the way home, Daniel stopped for ice cream. We sat inside at a small booth, a silence washing over us as we ate our ice cream.

I set my spoon down, feeling full and Daniel reached for my hand, "Thanks for coming to lunch, Quinn. I think my mom appreciated seeing you again. You guys get along pretty well,"

"She reminds me of my mom, actually. She's nice and she gives great hair tips for having long hair despite having short hair herself,"

"She was a hairstylist for over twenty years. Kind of knows what she's talking about. I think she'll be very sad if you cut it, you know,"

"Trust me. That's never going to happen, so she's free to keep giving me advice and tips,"

Daniel smiled and shook his head, "She will. Don't worry. Are you done?"

I nodded and he threw our cups away. He held out his hand and I took it as he helped me up. I went to pull away, but he held on tighter. Without my permission, a smile forced its way through and Daniel pulled me towards the door.

Because the parking lot was across a small intersection, we ran to catch the walking sign. As we started crossing, a car turning right started going and we had to skirt out of the way. The driver gave us the middle finger.

"Fuck you, asshole!" I yelled as Daniel yelled out an apology. When we got to the other side, Daniel gave me a disapproving face.

"You shouldn't have yelled at the driver like that. We were technically in the wrong for trying to cross the road so late,"

I shrugged, "You're supposed to continuously look as you turn. He obviously didn't, so I say his fault. Happens all the time on my bike too. People don't look for motorcycles, so I have to be extra defensive,"

Daniel gave me a worrying look as he opened my door. He was silent for a while, on the way to my apartment.

"Something on your mind?" I finally asked as he pulled into my apartment complex, getting slightly annoyed with his glances towards me.

"I don't know that I like the idea of you being on a motorcycle. I know I can't say anything because I'm not the boss of you, technically, but the idea of you getting hurt because of some idiot driver is not a great feeling. Have you ever considered getting a car?"

"I have,"

"And?"

"And I don't want one. I enjoy the freedom of my bike. I didn't have a lot of freedom as a kid and I spent a lot of my time and energy and money towards fixing this bike. It's important to me. It's the first thing that was mine,"

Daniel sighed and nodded, "I didn't know. I still don't like the idea, but again I can't and I won't say or do anything to change your mind. Promise me you'll be careful when you go out onto the road?"

"I've been riding since I was twenty-three. I'm careful," he gave me a stern look, "I promise I'll be extra careful. Is that better?"

"I didn't like your tone, but yes. I suppose I can release you now . . ." He trailed off like he wanted to say something else, so I paused for a second, but he gripped the steering wheel again, so I stepped out of the car and waved.

He started to back out for all of two seconds before he braked and rolled down his window, "Do you want to come over? Stella would be happy to see you,"

I hesitated and remembered what Alex said. Take this at my own pace, "Maybe another time. Thanks for the afternoon, Daniel. I had fun. See you at the club tomorrow,"

He frowned slightly, but nodded, "See you tomorrow, Quinn,"

Hello. Sort of long author's note today and I'm not apologizing for that.

Guys!!! It has taken me almost two years, but I have finally found my Ryan. I have someone for everyone if that makes sense.

The people that represent my characters are strictly for looks. I think about the character and I try to find an actor/model to match. Sometimes it's difficult. As is the case with Ryan. No one fit the kind of guy I was going for. But then I watched this movie called Rags and it was so freaking good. Anyway, the main character is played by Max Schneider, who just automatically fit the guy and the persona of Ryan. So I introduce Ryan.

Anyway, so good news. Because I want this book to only be about 22/23 chapters, I've been able to revise my outline to accommodate for messing it up in the first place. So, while the next few chapters were supposed to be pushed back because of my constant deviating from my outline throughout this book, everything has worked out in the end and I'm on track once again.

So, not many people responded to whether they wanted Zade to have his own story, but most people don't comment on my book anyway, so I didn't expect much. That being said, the few who did comment, were very eager to see Zade have his own story. So, now that this book is halfway done, I will start an outline for Zade's story with details to follow in the following chapters.

Also! Happy Pride Month guys! This is my first Pride Month having fully come to terms with me being Bi and while I wish I could celebrate at a Pride Parade, writing this book will have to do for now.

I think that's all the news I have for this week. I will see you guys next week with chapter fifteen!

Have a great day/night and stay safe!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 65.2K 71
After a sexy and exhilarating night with a new slave to his dungeon, the master Sadist Sykes is dead set on courting the young man who'd enchanted hi...
252K 10.3K 20
[COMPLETED] Aiden searched high and low for Fox, his best friend from the institution four years ago. After the incident that nearly took their life...
937K 22K 59
The story of a boy, a man, and a lie. Leo is an 18 year old high school senior who is up to his neck in stress from work and school. He simply can't...
King's Guard By kara

General Fiction

2.9M 116K 47
"Why are you staring at me like that?" "Like what?" "Like you want to tear off my clothes." "And what if I do?" ~~~ Kingsley didn't believe in love...