𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐅𝐈𝐃𝐄 ♚ 𝙩. 𝙨𝙝𝙚𝙡...

By FeedMeFryes

Tommy Shelby finally recognises the extent of his mental damage. An Illness that is eating away at his consci... More

♞ 𝘤𝘢𝘴𝘵.
𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘵 ❧
- ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴏɴᴇ
ⅰ - 𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘴𝘩
ⅱ - 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘳
ⅲ - 𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘦𝘳
ⅳ - 𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘵
ⅴ - 𝘷𝘢𝘯𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘴𝘩
ⅵ - 𝘵𝘢𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘳
ⅶ - 𝘴𝘶𝘤𝘤𝘦𝘦𝘥
- ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴛᴡᴏ
ⅷ - 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨𝘣𝘪𝘳𝘥
ⅸ - 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘥𝘶𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯s
ⅹ - 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨
ⅺ - 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘧𝘺
ⅻ - 𝘥𝘦𝘤𝘦𝘪𝘷𝘦
xiv - 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵
xv - 𝘢𝘧𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘮
- ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ
xvi - 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵
xvii - 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯
xviii - 𝘥𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘱𝘩𝘦𝘳
xix - 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯
xx - 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘦
xxi - 𝘥𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘢𝘵𝘦
xxii - 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘶𝘤𝘦
xxiii - 𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘶𝘭𝘨𝘦
- ᴘᴀʀᴛ ғᴏᴜʀ
xxiv - 𝘦𝘧𝘧𝘭𝘰𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘦
xxv - 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘴𝘦
xxvi - 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘺
xxvii - 𝘰𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦
xxix - 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘤𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦
- ᴘᴀʀᴛ ғɪᴠᴇ
xxx - 𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘸
xxxi - 𝘰𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘶𝘯𝘦
xxxii - 𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘮𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘦
xxxiii - 𝘩𝘢𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘥
xxxiv - 𝘱𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘶𝘪𝘵
xxxv - 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵
xxxvi - 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯
xxxvii - 𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘰𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦
xxxviii - 𝘢𝘳𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦
xxxix - 𝘢𝘤𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘦
xl - 𝘢𝘣𝘴𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘥
- ᴘᴀʀᴛ sɪx
xli - 𝘳𝘦𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵
xlii - 𝘯𝘦𝘨𝘰𝘵𝘪𝘢𝘵𝘦

xiii - 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘶𝘦

6.1K 189 53
By FeedMeFryes

A/N: sorry this chapter is so long? It would of been longer but I decided the next part needs its own dedicated chapter :-) hope you enjoy
P.S this is written on my phone so I apologise for any silly typing errors. I do intend to go through and proof check tomorrow, but seeing as rn its 12.00am I really need to go to sleep !

Verity was certain her glass of wine kept refilling, as she got ready for the night ahead in Scarlett's modest London townhouse that wasn't too dissimilar from the residence Verity shared with her sister.

It was a pretty building, with high ceilings and ornate features. It was obviously Scarlett, with a few glamorous and luxurious touches thrown around the place - from the bold art on the walls to the tasteful drapes that climb beautifully to the tall square frames of the windows. It was beautiful, and not to mention incredibly welcoming and homely feeling - but Verity put that down to Scarlett more than anything else.

However the similar style of home triggered an ongoing rumination of anxiety in Verity's cluttered feeling mind.

The day previously, as the two women had gone dress shopping for their attire - they had been spotted by a young couple. The experience had been entirely new for Verity - and her former recently settled 'comfortable' feelings of being a singer had somewhat had it's feathers ruffled.

The couple were pleasant enough - but they wanted a lengthily conversation that felt almost intrusive. Scarlett handled it like it was nothing, breezing through it with a polite gleaming smile and sweetly phrased sentences that glossed over giving too much away.

Whereas Verity had struggled - fumbling and being overly selective and clumsy with her way of trying to avoid divulging too much about the club, the Shelby's or their life style. (Not that she knew that much anyway - not as much as she would like to...)

Either way, the whole experience left her feeling rather useless that night as she had gone to bed. Her head ran off with negative thoughts - she was admittedly upset that her feeling of last being content with the path she'd set on were now once again scattered like seeds, set apart in confusion and disarray. She did not want to be questioned or followed wherever she went.

Verity had felt silly that it had only just caught up with her that fame would come with this career. If she had been as tuned into it earlier on then... she felt quite comfortable she would have wanted to walk away.

Scarlett had tried to reassure her that it was fine, and that it had taken her years of practice to appear to friendly and chatty when really she wasn't saying very much at all. It did little in easing the stress from the psychologist's troubled mind.

Not to mention with the growing fame, it had dawned on Verity that her sister Nina, would obviously soon find out too. She didn't want that, and was anxious for when it happened. She decided it would be better for her to tell her sister herself rather than face being found out and made to look like a lying sneak.

"You're quiet." Scarlett mentioned as she sat at her vanity desk, dainty fingers securing her teardrop emerald earrings through her ears. Verity merely hummed in response.

The two women were like a pair of old friends at this point. Verity was stood by the long mirror, placed at the corner of the long bedroom. The pair of them were not in their gowns yet, in fact Verity hadn't moved out of her grey smart smock dress yet as she applied her makeup for the evening.

It proved how comfortable Scarlett felt in her friends company as she sat at her glossy dark oak vanity in her black silk and lace chemise, sitting back slightly and pouting at what to do with her platinum blonde hair.

"Tie it up." Verity offered as she spotted Scarlett's pouting lips and her shining brown eyes glaring at her own reflection with a level of frustration.

"I always tie it up." She sulked, "tonight is different. I want to look special." The American then added as she tucked a strand of long hair behind her ear.

"Tonight means so much to Arthur, Verity." She said, looking at Verity's green eyes through the mirror's reflection. "I want to look my best and be my best."

"You will." Verity assured, laying her hand on her shoulder, as she wordlessly set to work on styling Scarlett's hair.

It was such a blessing to work with, soft, long silky strands that sat where they were told, styled to how they were managed and set beautifully into the pretty ponytail Verity had designed.

She'd purposefully left a strand loose at the front in a sort of fringe, which naturally curled rather sweetly into a gentle twist.

"See. You look absolutely stunning." Verity smiled tenderly, feeling like a big sister all over again as she watched Scarlett gushing over the hair style.

"Arthur will be blown away." Verity affirmed with a confident smile.

-

The grandfather clock in the hall chimed loudly at 8 o clock, it's loudening sounds reverberating around the space as the two women descended the stairs into the hallway where the Shelby brothers had let themselves in.

Scarlett led the way, wearing a beautiful silk forest green ball gown style dress with a pair of silk gloves that matched her dress. She looked like a princess straight out of a fairy tale book, making her way down the stairs into the arms of her 'Prince'. Maybe a prince that liked roughing people up a bottle of whisky every now and again but - he was her prince none the less.

Verity followed behind her fellow singer, careful not to tred on her dress. Verity had gone for a simpler floor length dress, it was a more figure hugging short sleeved silver dress - but with beautiful silver tassel details that added a layer of sparkling texture. Scarlett had helped her with her hair in the end, twisting it into a fashionable updo that was popular and stylish - and happened to suit Verity to a T.

They stopped in the hall and both searched for the looks of approval.

It did not take Scarlett long to find hers. Arthur was by no means a soft touch around anyone - apart from Scarlett. Verity had lost count of the amount of times she'd seen an angry, deeply troubled soldier fall to pieces and soften like butter at the sight of his sweet songbird. Scarlett resonated with him like no other - and maybe the two weren't the best at communicating with one another but - from what Verity saw between their glances - it was love.

"You're so bloody gorgeous -" Arthur had rushed to say as he drew a gushing Scarlett into his arms, drawing her close. He said something else in a low voice but the content of his sentence was muffled, his face somewhat buried in her neck. Scarlett's tone of laughter alerted Verity that perhaps it was something she didn't want to hear.

Glancing across at Tommy, once again Verity found herself unsurprised but also admittedly a little .. let down? She could read no signs in Tommy Shelby's eyes. He looked at her just the same as he always did - proud, tall Tommy Shelby. Master of Small Heath and soon the world, at this rate. Her heart panted a little, rather annoyed by the fact. Why did a part of her want the same sort of reaction from Tommy as Arthur had given to Scarlett? Just anyone to give her that 'WOW' reaction in response to her efforts.

The slightly tense atmosphere relaxed as Arthur mumbled something about excusing himself and then left Scarlett's side and headed off towards the dark kitchen.

With Scarlett safely back in the circle, Verity felt less 'caged' in with the unreadable figure of Tommy.

"Well, Thomas-" Scarlett smirked, in that usual bolshy and flirtatious way. It was apparent she could not give less of a shit about winding Tommy up.

"What do you think? Don't we scrub up nicely?" She chided, twirling on the spot and then gesturing her gloved hands out to Verity in an apprising manner.

The shifting of his icy blue eyes between the two singers was not to be missed.

"Yes, very nice." The statement was brief and purposefully nonchalant, in true Tommy style. "I should hope you do - considering your line of work."

His cocky tone caused Scarlett to laugh, her teeth catching on her glossy pink lower lip.

"Our 'line of work'?" She remarked, hands on her hips. "Mr Shelby, you make us sound like whores." Her tone was all but light hearted and teasing - Verity knew by now that Scarlett regularly liked to try and push his buttons every now and again.

"We're all whores, Miss Ebson." He replied, pressing her name as if to allude to her previous formal addressing of him, "we just choose which parts of us we sell out to people."

Was that a glimmer of a smirk in the corner of his mouth? Folding her arms across her chest, Verity found this all but entertaining. She stayed silent and watched the show with the attentiveness of a theatregoer.

A slight chuckle came from Scarlett as she entered his personal space, and the tone changed. It shifted from banter and jovial teasing - and Verity could see it in Scarlett's face. Memories of what Verity had been told on her face day at the Eden Club came rushing back.

"Is that it then, Tommy?" Scarlett whispered, closing in with a greedy smile on her face, "am I just your whore?"

Her ways made Verity wonder whether perhaps they'd been having a bit too much wine - and she stepped in off the back of two predominant thoughts. One was that she didn't want Scarlett to do anything stupid she would regret and the second was ... rather unclear, Verity couldn't quite understand it herself. It was a mixture of repulsion and ... jealousy.

She scolded herself - jealousy!? Of what !? Surely not for Thomas Shelby.

"I'm sure Tommy regards us more than that." Verity smiled to Scarlett as she stepped forwards to draw her friend back by the shoulders gently. As Verity glanced at Tommy, he seemed totally unbothered by what had just happened, but as he looked over Scarlett, Verity could only guess he could see she'd been drinking. Both girls had, it just appeared Verity was better at handling hers.

Before the atmosphere could get anymore bizarre, Arthur arrived back.

Yet, just as Verity was expecting the tension in the air to settle - it seemed more coiled than ever. Sure, he was pleasant, excited and happy as he put his arm around Scarlett and walked her out the front door - but there was this wild look behind his eyes. Shrunken pupils like black fragments of coal swallowed up in his iris'.

As Verity and Tommy followed behind the cosy couple, Verity studied Arthur's skittish and jarred movements before getting into the car the erratic nature that he looked like he was having a hard time suppressing. She had a sneaking suspicion he'd taken something.

"Verity."

Tommy's voice brought her back as the singer remained ground on the pavement between the car and Scarlett's front door. She didn't even realise Tommy had been stood there holding the door open for her for the past few seconds.

"Sorry." She mumbled, climbing into the car. Her suspicions didn't little to subside as they were driven to the club by a chauffeur. Arthur seemed hyperactive, his words tumbling out at speed and his movements like a sheepish animal that was constantly on the edge for predators.

Scarlett's smile faded the more time they spent in the car, as it seemed she too had picked up on the aura change in her dear Arthur.

Verity occasionally disguised a glance across as if she was looking out of the window, when really she was hoping to search Tommy's expression to see if he had any feelings about it.

Apparently if he did he was good at hiding them, for he looked unphased as he always did. Puzzled for a moment, Verity wanted to shout out to him for recognise the obvious change in Arthur before him...

But then it sunk in.

This was probably their world. She recalled Tommy telling her about his constant opium use and addiction in that one successful session they had of therapy. Her heart sank. How could anyone be comfortable with this?

She didn't realise she was looking at Tommy for as long as she did, head flurrying now like a snow storm with a cluster of thoughts circling like vultures. She'd had some small idea of what kind of chaos Tommy could be dealing with in his head but now it had fully settled within her. What kind of world was Tommy living in? What kind of mindset was he having when accepting drug use, dealing with horrible people and doing awful things was the normality. A furious urge bubbled inside of her - an urge of getting back on track with what she had originally been tasked to do. And there was no way she was getting dragged down either.

Yet this time around, she didn't care if Tommy was willing to seek the help. She was going to try and get through. Being in this world for a few months, it had finally clicked on what kind of shit he must of seen - what things were going on in his head. She had to get him to open up.

Lest she feared it might ultimately end in some devastating consequences.

Taking a deep breath, Verity's green eyed glance fell to her lap where she interlaced her fingers, trying to calm the rushing turbulence of thoughts in her head.

As much as she just wanted to press on, Verity knew she wouldn't get far tonight. She could focus on what she needed to do a bit later - first, it had to be all smiles and fanciful frivolity. They had a party to attend to.

-

The shiny black car drew up curb side as the imposing and glamorous figure of the Tranquility Base club glimmered like a Hollywood star. It's bulb-lit facade protruded noisily from the other cafes, shops and restraint store fronts - crooning like a starlet, coaxing in all those hoping for a good time.

Scarlett and Verity hung back somewhat, as the two Shelby brothers stride purposefully up the plush red carpet to a doorman who only had to register the men as Shelby's before letting in them in ahead of regular folk who had been queuing for hours - but those people darent say a word against it. No one dared to cross the Shelby's unless they wanted trouble.

Inside, the club did not disappoint from the luxurious celebrity feel of the exterior. It was low lit, with soft golden lights dotted generously about the ceilings - dark red carpets, deep brown oak tabletops and bar. It very much had the feel of a high end hotel mixed with the excitement of a club. The smell of cigarettes and alcohol was prominent in the air.

"This is our fuckin' world!" Arthur bellowed noisily, arms flung out as he led the way into the mass of people crowded around the main bar area and dance floor.

A waiter milling about with a tray filled with Champagne glasses didn't even have to offer before the likes of Arthur Shelby stole one too many for himself, chucking the expensive alcohol back like it was a cheap shot in the Garrison. Verity did quietly, internally express some revolt at his behaviour - Arthur could be noisy and bullish at the best of times but - on an illicit substance he was even worse. Shouting and parading around like a prize peacock in his environment. He had this egotistical idea in his current state that this was his 'domain', and 'entitled' feeling that shone from him like a ray of bright light.

It was not too long before the likes of Eli Valentine set sights on his prey. He first acknowledge Arthur, for the sound of the bloke's voice could be heard from outside London. Next, he collected the indecipherable expression of the stony-looking Tommy Shelby, and Eli knew he'd have to turn the charm on. Lastly, he noted the girls. For once he felt he could tolerate a sweetness towards the likes of a 'wop' - considering Scarlett looked so beautiful. His real taking was towards Verity however - she had this ethereal beauty to her, even as she stood there gazing around the space, she looked thoughtful, wistful - dazzling.

Tugging at the lapels of his black suit jacket, Eli strode over and flicked his charm on - as simple as anything. His hand extended to Arthur first, considering he was supposed to be the main reason for the whole 'group' being invited to the party.

"Eli!" Arthur boomed, pupils lost in the seemingly colossal swell of his Iris'. "Fuckin' brilliant club you've got here, mate." Arthur appraised, shaking Eli's hand with such vivacity and slapping him on the shoulder perhaps a little too hard. Eli showed no signs of distaste, if that were the case.

"Thank you all for coming," Eli started with a small smile, raising his Sheffield accented voice over the loud music, "I appreciate it was fairly short notice."

"Nothing's too short notice when Arthur is onto something, Mr Valentine." Tommy commented, offering a handshake and a quip of a smile. Verity studied the two men's behaviour as they shook hands - it didn't seem entirely friendly. In fact it seemed tense, with a hint of suspicion in Tommy's smile especially.

"I see." Eli replied simply, his hickory brown eyes shining as he cocked his head to the side ever so slightly, his smile dripped with a sarcastic nicety for just a moment - but it was long enough for Verity to see. Her hazel eyes flickered between the group of men ... what was going on really?

"And your lovely ladies look divine tonight." Eli pressed on, taking Scarlett's gloved hand as he leaned in to kiss her cheek chastely.

"Welcome..." Eli said, interrupted by a peck on Scarlett's other cheek before he moved to Verity.

"To..." one more kiss, this time to Verity's cheek, "The..." another it seemed, this time on her other cheek. "Tranquility Base." He smiled as he pulled away, his scanning gaze over Verity's figure made the singer feel a little exposed and vulnerable - she was in his club after all, and a lingering thought bothered her - she didn't want Tommy or Arthur thinking they could use her as a pawn in any of their deals. The thought sickened her. If they ever did, she was damn sure she'd step on them both beneath her best pair of stilettos.

"Thank you for having us tonight." Verity smiled out of politeness in follow up to his welcome. Her kind tones well received by the northern club owner.

He paused a moment before looking over to the gathering of people chatting and drinking by the dance floor.

"I'd love to talk business a bit later, chaps." Eli addressed the brothers, "I've got a few people I need to say hello to first, if you don't mind?"

"Not in the slightest." Tommy replied, but his tone was so devoid of any understanding that it came across quiet well as a large serving of sarcasm. Eli clearly chose to ignore this.

"If you'll excuse me."

Striding past Verity's right side, she caught a scent of his expensive cologne - a pleasant smell that had her senses warming for a second.

She barely had time to turn back before Tommy had disappeared and the back of Arthur could be seen wading into a group of people. He seemed happy but - in his current state things could turn ugly quickly.

Pacing over to Scarlett, Verity instantly read the troubled look on her face. On closer inspection, it was clear to see she was holding back some tears.

"I've tried to get him off that fucking shit." Scarlett hissed, sucking in a deep breath so she could hold it together. "Yet he keeps going back to it every time." She grizzled, clearly blaming herself.

The sororal feeling inside Verity took control as she wrapped her arm around Scarlett's shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"Don't blame yourself Scarlett. It's not you, it's him. Sounds like you are doing all you can to help," she tried to reason, offering a gentle smile.

"Let me get you a drink, okay?" Verity added sweetly, the reciprocated smile from her friend already a good sign.

"A gin and tonic would be nice?" Scarlett suggested, and her request was met with a nod of affirmation from Verity.

"Two gin and tonics." The former psychologist verbalised as she departed from Scarlett's side and headed to the bar.

It was like a farmer's market at the bar, people clammering and shouting their orders whilst a very flustered bartender looked about ready to throw the towel in.

Being a very people orientated person, Verity hung back as she didn't feel her adding pressure to the mix would help. Her form settled at the very south end of the bar where it was much quieter, and she could actually rest her elbows on the oak bartop- and to her delight, the surface wasn't sticky with alcohol residue.

Waiting patiently, she was scanning the various gin bottles on the shelf and spotted the Shelby gin. She quietly kicked herself for smiling at it for a moment - regardless of how she'd felt about Tommy throughout her entire time of knowing him - that gin was her favourite.

"And what's your tipple, Miss Grant?"

Verity was snapped out of her daze as she noticed Eli step behind the quiet corner of the bar, away from the chaos at the other end. She almost laughed at the way he'd just appeared, taking her orders like the mere bartender in his own club.

"Two gin and tonics please." She said, trying to hide her amusement at the situation.

"Any particular gin?"

She hesitated - if she said the truth then it would just make her look as if she was all for eyed and a damsel in distress for her employers. Far from the case.

"Any will do fine." She replied, watching as he poured two glasses of the drink. His sudden appearance spiked her interest.

"I thought you were busy greeting guests?" Verity asked, cocking her head slightly in curiosity.

"I saw you waiting for a drink," Eli replied, lifting to the two drinks and setting them down on the bar top in front of her. "And I can't leave a good lady waiting now, can I?" His tone was silken at that moment, and she had to stop herself from scoffing. Of course it would boil down to this sort of behaviour.

"You're new at the Eden Club, aren't you?" He asked, pouring himself a glass of Scotch.

"Relatively." Verity replied, lifting one of the glasses to her lips and taking a refreshing sip. It was actually a very pleasantly well made drink in her opinion. 

"How'd you get into Shelby business?" Eli fired another question, moving around to the other side of the bar, close to Verity's side. She swallowed the alcoholic drink in her mouth and thought a few seconds before responding.

"Through mutuals." She started, deciding to go with the same story she told Scarlett, "I knew Tommy's late wife, Grace. Long story short, he heard me sing once and well... here I am."

As Eli was looking at her, Verity could sense from him he wasn't really talking to her because he was interested in her experiences. He wanted to know things. It didn't surprise her but it admittedly hurt a little to remember people could act that way.

"And... uh, if you don't mind me asking..."

"It depends." Verity's tone became a little hot as she already had apprehensions by Eli's flighty gaze that this question would be intrusive.

"What's the relationship like?" Eli asked, "is Tommy your boss?"

"Arthur is my employer, technically speaking." Verity swerved the question, swallowing down another sip of gin.

"So -"

"Look, Mr Valentine." Verity cut short, "I know what you're inferring, based on what you've seen of Scarlett and Arthur." She set the record straight. "I'm not affiliated with Tommy in that sort of way."

A weight lifted from her chest upon expelling that, yet all the same she felt a new pang of guilt when she thought about Tommy. Since deciding she was going to help him regardless of whether he wanted it, she felt sorry for him. All she could think about was a vulnerability in him that he never let out. He had lost so much, been through so much trauma. Naturally, that was going to scar someone. Of course, he had done equally horrible things to others around him but Verity hoped if she was able to break through then ... maybe she could stop him from feeling he needed to do that.

Eli's further questioning led her back from her ruminating.

"So you aren't seeing either of them?"

"No, of course not." She sighed, "I'm not seeing anyone and I intend to keep it that way for a while."

The smug smile on Eli's face seemed to oppose that statement as he quirked his lips into a quick smirk.

"I see." He said, as if to make a point he sidled in closed, "seeing as you don't owe them Shelby boys any loyalty -" his low tone spurred by her ear, and suddenly the loud music of the brass band around them seemed to all but disappear. Verity could only hear him.

"What would you say to coming and working at my club?"

His voice registered in her head, as well as his arm around her waist - but the words did not quite settle for a good few moments.

When they eventually did, Verity drew back a little dumbfounded. Where had this come from?

"I thought you were helping Arthur with the Eden club?" She asked, her expression shocked and it seemed her doubts were slowly becoming confirmed.

"You know business, Verity, love." Eli crooned, his hand not moving from her hip. "It's some give and some take."

-

Returning a few minutes of quiet solitude in a distant back lounge area of the club, Tommy rejoined the room full of people with a kind equally as troubled as before - just somewhat eased off by the nonchalant lull of a cigarette.

He hadn't realised how much walking into a rooms like this was affecting him these days - his chest tightened, he felt lighthearted - and was very confused by all this. Tommy Shelby didn't want to be phased by anything, yet he found himself feeling so small as he walked into that club, and had just wanted to escape to be on his own for a while.

These feelings had been present for a while but seemed to be worsening as of late. For a mere second Tommy even contemplated maybe speaking to Verity but - his masculinity still would not let him.

Verity.

Cigarette hanging from his lips, Tommy stared in the direction of the bustling bar area. Despite all the bodies of people, his piercing blue eyes sought out Verity in a matter of seconds.

And Eli.

Next his eyes traced to Eli's arm around her waist.

They seemed to be talking, discussing something. Eli was close in at Verity's side - whispering ?

Tommy did not like that. Was it a paranoid fear of being conspired against or his quiet admiration for Verity that urged him to walk to the bar.

As Tommy got there, Verity seemed to have concern written all over her face. Eli had barely just finished a sentence about 'five and take' as Tommy approached the pair.

His brain quickly engaged into motion.

"I was thinking about that chat." Tommy started, standing at Verity's side. The sudden sound of his voice and his person at her side brought her a quiet reassurance that this Eli wasn't going to try and do something stupid.

"Were you now?" Eli mumbled, not hiding his clear distaste to being interrupted. It was apparent the two man had no concerns being frosty with each other; like two male dogs trying to assert their dominance.

"Yes. I think we should perhaps arrange it for another time. Parties are nice and all, but not at all the sort of setting to achieve the proper conversation we need to have, ey?" Tommy put forward, his tone was less of a jovial jest and more of a sarcastic jab at Eli's attempt to approach them.

"If you're serious then you can stop by the club sometime next week?" Tommy then added, the seriousness returning to his tones to show he was still offering a chance, despite his hostility to the bar owner.

Something clicked in Eli's brain, he had been dry and coarse with Shelby all evening and he realised if he let his own dislike for Tommy get in his way - then he'd remove all his chances to try and destroy the Eden Club from the inside. Of course he could do it externally but - that would be messy and probably destroy his own business.

No - he had to keep this facade up. For the sake of maintaining his royal reputation in the odd and extravagant world of London clubs.

Swallowing his pride, Eli nodded and offering Tommy and short but civil handshake. Watching the gesture between them felt incredibly off, and Verity didn't like the sense of falsity in the air around her.

"That sounds more productive, Tommy." Eli cleared his throat, "I shall be seeing you at some point next week then."

Tommy wasted little time in accepting Valentine's response before guiding himself and Verity away from the bar, she excused herself from Eli under the pretence she was giving Scarlett her long delayed drink but it was clearly obvious that Tommy was leading the way.

"Thank you for that," Verity said as she walked just behind Tommy.

"For what?" He responded, not even looking back at her. These days Verity was just beginning to accept these rather odd things as just being 'Tommy's ways'.

"For intervening. I don't know what his game plan was with me." She sighed in relief. Reaching the spot where Scarlett had been moping previously, Verity could not see any sign of Scarlett - or indeed Arthur.

However what she could see was one man near the entrance nursing a bloodied nose, a young woman cooing over him. As if in sync, Tommy and Verity expelled a hefty sigh:

"Arthur."

The two made their way towards the entrance where the man, angered by whatever attack he'd received, attempted to have a verbal go at the other Shelby brother.

"That fucking brother of yours needs locking up mate!" Despite the anger in his tones, it still seemed shaky and nervous, like he knew he was wary of who he was addressing.

Instead of rising to it, Tommy simply raised his brows and took a drag on his cigarette.

"Don't I know it." He replied with a laboured sigh, as if he was just tired of it at this point.

-

After learning from the doorman that he'd seen Scarlett leaving about ten minutes prior to Arthur being kicked out - Verity could only assume they'd perhaps had a row - about the drugs maybe? She wouldn't be surprised.

However, her plan to now stay at Scarlett's had been scuppered: she didn't know what state her friend was going to be in and didn't want to impose on her.

"Need a lift back home?" Tommy offered as they stood outside on the shining sidewalk, it's grey sheen a tell tale sign of some earlier rainfall.

Wrapping her arms around herself, Verity sighed and shook her head. She was still hiding all this from her sister, she didn't want to return home at this hour - wake her nephew and cause a huge argument.

"I can't go home until tomorrow I'm afraid." She sighed, looking back across at Tommy as he nodded - either in acknowledgement or understanding. It was never easy to tell.

"Well then," he started, "how about we go back to the Eden instead?"

It didn't seem the worst of ideas - and by now that club was like a second home. With both Arthur and Tommy (and the two singers!) being out for the evening they had closed the club that night - considering there would be no reason for it to be open. So it was a welcoming idea that they could back to the quiet, a bit of respite from the heaviness of the experience back in Valentine's club.

"I fear thats my only option." Verity laughed softly, "but let's go."

She followed Tommy to the car, where the poor driver had been waiting for the past hour or two. Judging by the look on his face, he'd probably just been drifting off as Tommy knocked on the glass and woke him.

It had started to rain again as the car made the short, conversation-less journey to the Eden Club. Verity's mind was racing, she was worried about Scarlett and Arthur and hoped they were both safe, regardless of what had happened.

Resting her head against the glass, she glanced across at Tommy out of the corner of her eye. One thing she was quite looking forward to the prospect of was getting Tommy to open up. She realised this could be the perfect opportunity to get back to her original task.

She knew deep down she could do it, she had managed it before.

Perhaps she just needed to let him know she was there to listen and be a friend, and not be a foe - like all the people in the world he was so used to coming across.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.3K 1.2K 22
Anna-Maria Williams hates Thomas Shelby's guts. She thinks that he sees himself as the king of the world and everyone ought to bow before him but Ann...
2.7M 37.5K 115
*UNDER EDITING* Imagines for your favourite Shelby family (and Alfie!)
132 8 5
Nothing made sense in either of their lives, but it suddenly did when they were together. Tommy shelby x OC Started 29th Aug 2022 REWRITTEN April 2...
9.2K 538 8
────────────────── .˚ᵎ┊𝖿𝗂𝗋𝖾 ⋆.ೃ࿔:・❝ 𝑖 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑛𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑠𝑒𝑡 𝑡𝘩𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑙𝑑 𝑜𝑛 𝑓𝑖𝑟𝑒, 𝑖 𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑛𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑎 𝑓...