MELLIFLUOUS ━ T. CHALAMET

By storums

england, 1722 a world where nobles were cruel except for her. she was the only exception. timothée chalamet... More

( MELLIFLUOUS )
  ( ACT ONE ― A NOBLE LIKE HER )
  ( CHAPTER ONE ― CARLISLE MANOR )
  ( CHAPTER TWO ― THE MAN IN THE MARKET )
  ( CHAPTER THREE ― A PAYMENT OWED )
  ( CHAPTER FOUR ― THE ENGAGEMENT PARTY )
  ( CHAPTER FIVE ― THE THIRD FLOOR LIBRARY )
  ( CHAPTER SEVEN ― NEW OPPORTUNITIES )
  ( CHAPTER EIGHT ― THE ARRIVAL )

  ( CHAPTER SIX ― SUSPICION )

128 6 7
By storums

[ act i - a noble like her ]
CHAPTER SIX
( suspicion )

— HENRY AND ELIZABETH HAD BEEN SNEAKING AROUND FOR the past month. Always in hidden spaces, late at night while no one else was awake. It was the trace of lips here and there. The quiet whispers of what they wanted to do and who they wanted to be roamed around the walls of her room. Their quiet laughs still echoing in both their minds.

Dawson and Henry were currently working on the roof of the stable, doing the usual repairs. But in this current moment, they were sat on the roof starting out into the vineyards.

"It's gonna be a late harvest this year." Dawson spoke from his position next to Henry.

"How do you know?" Henry asked.

Dawson pointed to Elizabeth's father who was situated at the back of the house with his wife, drinking their afternoon tea. "Because boss man around this time is usually hiring more people and we've only got one, which is Harry." Dawson breathed in deeply.

Henry furrowed his brows as he followed Dawson's finger towards the Duke and Duchess, it was the sight of a ruby red dress that caught his attention instead. Elizabeth, her arm wrapped around Lord Jaspers arm, and they walked through the vineyards. Henry knew that Elizabeth nor Lord Jasper wanted to be married to one another but they had to keep up the facade.

"You pay that much attention to what Duke Grey does?" Henry asked as he smiled slightly, noticing how observant Dawson was.

"Of course," Dawson nodded. "So where've you been mate? I've not seen you around for days." Dawson said as he took a bite into an apple Harry tossed up before climbing up the ladder to join them.

"What do you mean?" Henry furrowed his brows and looked at Dawson.

"I'm saying that I used to be able to find you any time of the day. Now it's I can only find you during the day." Dawson looked away from Henry to see his wife, Rebecca walking over to feed the chickens. "I can't seem to find you late at night, it's like you disappear." Dawson finished as he returned a wave to Rebecca who was smiling widely up at him.

"I did not realize you paid attention to my whereabouts," Henry spoke as he looked back over to Elizabeth. "If you must know, I can not sleep at night so to ease my mind I take long walks." Henry said. This in a sense was true, before he and Elizabeth were running around.

"Yeah and I take long walks now that I can not fuck my wife," Dawson said and rolled his eyes. "If you're hiding something, just know it doesn't stay hidden for long. No matter how much you keep it under wraps it always finds its way out." Dawson stood back up, hands on his waist. "Just be careful, yeah? I don't wanna see nothin' happen to ya." He finished as he went back to work on the other side of the roof.

Henry only nodded as he sat there for a moment more, his eyes going back over to Elizabeth. Every time he saw her his heart beat faster in his chest and it was like he couldn't catch his breath. Although he did not like the way Lord Jasper held her close as they talked.

Harry soon took a seat next to Henry, "She's truly very beautiful." Harry spoke as he also stared at Elizabeth, taking a bite of his apple as he offered one to Henry, which he took.

"How long have you been here?" Harry asked as he looked to Henry.

"I started working here when I was nineteen. So five years." Henry sighed as he took a bite of the green apple in his hand, which reminded him of Elizabeth's eye color.

"That's a long time." Harry breathed in deeply. "What do you know about Lydia?" Harry asked Henry.

"What?" Henry's brows furrowed as he looked at Harry.

Harry nodded, "I think she's pretty and I obviously stand no chance to win Lady Elizabeth's heart, so what do you know about her?" Harry asked again as he took another bite.

Henry smiled to himself, Harry did not have a chance, no man did, because for some reason her heart belonged to Henry. "Well she's twenty-five, her mother died giving birth to her and her father passed two years ago. She's an only child." Henry breathed out taking a bite of his apple as he stood up, wiping his free hand on his pants. "She is a great cook, makes the best soup especially when you're sick." Henry trailed off as he finished his apple and continued to tell Harry about Lydia.

Henry, Dawson, and Harry chatted away as they continued to replace the roof on the stables. Lydia and Rebecca took turns bringing them water every now and then. Henry stopping occasionally to stare at Elizabeth and smile slightly knowing that she was his.

*  *     ⊹  ˚  .      .

ELIZABETH LAUGHED LIGHTLY AT WHAT JASPER had told her. Her hair gently being pulled by the small wind around them. Her arm placed around his as they continued to walk the grounds of her family's property. Since the party, they had become close friends. Elizabeth had learned that the one who held Jasper's heart was not a woman at all, but a man.

"So tell me more about this Ryder?" Elizabeth spoke, they would giggle and laugh like old-time friends. Telling each other secrets but Elizabeth could not bring herself to tell Jasper. Jaspers lover was of a noble family and hers was not.

Elizabeth listened intently to what Jasper was telling her. She was intrigued and happy for her friend. She was curious about many things.

"Jasper, how do you know when you're ready? Does it matter how long you've known them or...?" Elizabeth trailed off. She just truly wanted to know more.

"You feel it in your heart. Especially if it is with someone you love, all you think about is them. They are your first thought when you wake up and your last before you fall asleep." Jasper breathed in. "It's like no matter how close they are to you, you can never get enough. They make your heart feel whole and at home."

Elizabeth's eyebrows furrowed, "I thought a home was a place?"

"Home does not have to be a place, it can be a person. They make you feel safe and can seem to ease all your problems just by a hug." Jasper said. "A home is where or who you feel whole."

Elizabeth breathed in deeply. She was in deep thought. She had not felt at home for a long time. She never knew if she would. "How do you know what home feels like?" Elizabeth stopped and looked up at Jasper.

"If it is a person, which I assume it is, your heart will feel whole and warm. Your heartbeat will race at the sound of their voice or even the mention of their name. Just the thought of them makes you happy. It feels as if..." Jasper trailed off thinking of the perfect ending to the sentence. "Feels as if you have the whole world at the edge of your fingertips. That you could do anything with them by your side."

Jasper watched Elizabeth intently. He watched her facial expression change a few times before she looked back up at him. "Now are you going to tell me who this mystery person is?" Jasper asked her.

Elizabeth bit her lip, "Don't worry, you've kept my secrets and I can keep yours." Jasper said to her as he squeezed her hands. "Love is love, Elizabeth, no matter who has your heart."

Elizabeth gulped, "The one who holds my heart is Henry."

"The stable boy?" Jasper asked.

Elizabeth nodded before her eyes dropped back down. "I've been in love with him since I was sixteen. I've never wanted anyone else."

"Then he is very lucky. But it is a tragic life you and I live. We can never be with the ones we truly love." Jasper breathed in deeply, squeezing her hands again. "But that doesn't mean we can not enjoy the time we have with them now."

"What happens when we marry?" Elizabeth asked.

"We will figure it out," Jasper smirked lightly. "I am sure your father would be able to let go of one of his servants. As I'm sure people won't mind if there's another noble living in the house."

Elizabeth's eyebrows raised, "You would do such an unspeakable act?"

Jasper smiled widely, "I would do anything for love. Especially in a time where I would be persecuted for who I love."

Elizabeth nodded and looked at the sky, seeing the sunrise start to set. "You should probably head back home. I would hate for you to miss dinner with your mother." Elizabeth spoke to Jasper.

A small smirk playing on both their faces. "I'll race you." They both spoke.

Instead of arguing over what the winner would get they both took off towards the front of the house. Elizabeth in the process had kicked off her heels only to have a maid pick them up, screaming at her.

Jasper was only ahead by a bit and Elizabeth's feet carried her as she laughed passing both of her parents, she soon took a sharp right passing between the manor and the stables. She soon took the lead and she could hear Dawson, Rebecca, and Harry cheering for her. Her feet soon came to a stop at the steps that led to the main doors.

She turned to face Jasper. "I won as it seems. Now be on your way good sir, your mother is waiting for you." Elizabeth smiled as she hugged her friend goodbye.

Jasper hugged her back placing a small kiss atop her head. "Remember a home can be a person too." He whispered before departing. His carriage carrying him home.

Elizabeth breathed in deeply as she watched the carriage disappear. "Seems as though my little sister may have actually ended up liking the person she's engaged to." A voice spoke causing her to turn around and face her brother.

"And it seems that no matter what, my brother likes to make my life a living hell," Elizabeth spoke.

"A lady with a foul mouth?" Thomas shook his head, "A shame. Not very many men like that."

"I was not put on this earth please people like you." Elizabeth breathed in deeply. "Plus at least I am not known as the family whore unlike you."

"I would rather be known as the family whore than the family prude." Thomas scoffed as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"I hope you know that father thinks you are an absolute disappointment." Elizabeth breathed out, looking up at her older brother. "A shame to the whole family."

Having that information leave her mouth, Thomas was clearly angry. He knew he was the bad one of the family but he did not know he was the disappointment. Their father really did see him as the disappointment of the family, if Elizabeth could Samuel would make Elizabeth the head of the company when he passed because at least she could be counted on.

Elizabeth watched as Thomas's jaw clenched and he huffed before walking back inside, slamming the door behind him. Elizabeth smirked knowing she got to her brother. In a lot of ways she did not like him, they were close when they were younger but that was before he became who he was today. She felt sorry for him, she just wished he was not the way he was. Elizabeth saw how cruel he could be to people that were not of their standing and she hated him for it. Her mother raised them both the same way but he just turned sour and she did not know why.

Soon a scream pulled Elizabeth from her thoughts, her heart started racing as she made her way back over to the stables. She could see someone laying on the ground and it looked as if they had fallen off the roof. Her parents came rushing over to join her.

"What happened?" Elizabeth asked.

"I watched someone slip and fall." Her mother exclaimed. "Are they okay?" Her mother asked.

Elizabeth was stunned, she did not move an inch. It was like she was stuck in place. Her heart raced and she was hoping it was not Henry. When Rebecca moved she could see Henry kneeling next to Dawson. Her heart felt relieved that he was okay.

Elizabeth walked closer and she realized it was Dawson who was on the ground. "Are you okay?" She asked as Henry was helping him up.

Dawson nodded, "Yeah, I am fine, Lady Elizabeth." He breathed in deeply and her father went next to Dawson.

"Nothing broken?" Her father asked.

"No sir. Just got the wind knocked out of me." Dawson said with a small smile on his face.

Her father even looked relieved. "Alright, well go get some rest. I do not need one of my best men in any pain." Her father spoke as he patted Dawson's back lightly.

"Oh thank god." Elizabeth's mother sighed out. "You're going to end up giving one of us a heart attack." She spoke out to Dawson. "You can not leave that girl without a father for her baby." Eleanor spoke as she placed a hand on Rebecca's shoulder.

"Scared the life right out of me." Rebecca spoke.

"I am sorry for that. But at least the roof is fixed." Dawson spoke, letting out a small laugh.

Elizabeth took notice of how her parents treated Dawson. And it only seemed fair, they did see him as one of their own. His mother worked for her parents long before she was born and when his mother died when he was four, her parents basically raised him. They saw him as more of a son than Thomas, a more reliable one.

Her parents ushered Dawson inside along with Rebecca. Hoping to talk about things she guessed. It was just her, Henry and Harry left.

"I should probably help Lydia get supper started." Harry spoke. Elizabeth saw the way he smiled when he said her name.

"Lydia?" Elizabeth's eyebrows raised. "I know that look, you're smitten?"

"Shhh..." Harry shushed as he placed a finger to his mouth. Elizabeth smiled knowingly.

"Well if it makes it better, she finds you to be the most attractive man she's ever laid eyes on," Elizabeth whispered. "But do not tell her you heard that from me."

"Really?" Harry said, a wide grin gracing his face.

Elizabeth only nodded before she watched Harry go into the kitchen. She smiled knowingly.

"Are you trying to play matchmaker?" Henry asked her, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Just giving him a push." Elizabeth spoke her hands going behind her back and she and Henry started to walk.

"If you do not mind me asking, what were you and Lord Jasper speaking of?" Henry asked her.

"Oh you know, just gossip and such things." Elizabeth said, "His lover."

Henry raised an eyebrow, "His lover?"

Elizabeth nodded. "Ryder is his name and from what it sounds like he seems like a really astonishing man."

"A man?" Henry asked confused. "I never would have guessed."

"Me either..." Elizabeth trailed off. "We then talked about love and what it feels like." Elizabeth breathed in deeply.

"Love? What for?" Henry asked.

Elizabeth just shrugged. "I was curious." They moved closer to the door that led to the kitchen. "Well, I should go get cleaned up for supper. Goodbye Henry." With that Elizabeth left.

Jaspers words echoed inside her head. A home can be a person. Maybe, just maybe Henry was truly her home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 95 31
𝗶𝗻 𝗮 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗹𝗱 𝗼𝗳 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗼𝘀, 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘆'𝗿𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝘂𝗿𝘃𝗶𝘃𝗮𝗹 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗮𝗹𝘀𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗶𝗿 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵 𝗼𝘁𝗵...
560K 17.4K 20
His eyes turn to me. The hazel is practically mocking, and even though I don't react, there's no way he doesn't notice the way my face warms when he...
52.5K 1.2K 23
𝖔𝖔𝖔. 𝐈𝐓𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐀𝐍 𝐒𝐔𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐑 {COMPLETED!} .*✰【a timothée chalamet fanfiction】 ↳ ❝ ℑ 𝔱𝔢𝔩𝔩 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔱𝔦𝔪𝔢 ℌ𝔢𝔞𝔳𝔢𝔫 𝔦𝔰 𝔞...
231K 5.9K 44
BE HONEST in which they date over the summer, but coincidentely find a way back into each others lives. ( timothée chalamet x fem.oc ) cringe warni...