Let's go back, back to Cloud...

By LeMayora07

Lan Wangji woke up to find strange things started happening, feeling as if he was missing something important... More

Chapter 1: And so he woke up
Brothers
Town of Caiyi
Drunk
Forehead Ribbon and Rabbits
Go back where?
Kiss
The Truth and Lies
Seclusion
Lan Sizhui
Jiang Cheng
Hear Me Call For You
Waking Up From This Endless Dream

Where It All Begun

7K 322 60
By LeMayora07

Lan Wangji continued to walk to the direction of Wei WuXian’s lair, The Devils cave. it was cave that was located in a secluded area in Burial Mound, people going about the story how the Yiling Patriach carried his crooked practice, turning people into his corpse army and conducting experiments. this is where he left him and the last time he had seen him. His figure that was clad in white contrasted the darkness of the place, the sun is almost down now yet the place is already a bit dark. Lan Wangji went inside lit a fire talisman,venturing further into the pathway, he was almost lost, the cave was big and could occupy perhaps over a hundred people. It was his first time to see this place from the inside, When Wei WuXian was injured he had not ventured this far and only secured Wei WuXian could be hidden and he left. turning into a small path he saw some items littering on the ground, following it further he saw this part of the cave in total chaos. it was clear that the cave was ransacked, makeshift tables had been overturned. crumpled papers, books, boxes.. it looked like a mess.

The other cultivators most likely flipped the place upside down to find something useful. Any items that the Yiling Patriach made, others must have searched for something they could sell. either way it frustrated Lan Wangji to see how much they disrespected him upon seeing the stone walls are being vandalized by people who didnt know anything!

Lan Wangji turned his back against the gruesome words on the stone walls and found a broken lamp, he crouched and checked the item, the glass was broken but it can still be used. he lit it up and sat down on the ground  placing his zither on his lap Lan Wangji took a deep breath and started playing Inquiry, eyes closed the music drifted and echoed inside. the light flickered for a bit and Lan Wangji was met with silence, he frowned and his fingers moved to the strings desperately calling his name.

Wei Ying ..

He continued to play for three times, already with same crushed expectations. this wont do.. he looked around the place and could not help but remembered a distant memory, in a cave, together with him, and a song. Lan Wangji’s finger started to move, soft tune can be heard from it but it wasn't Inquiry. the music was soft and was accompanied by a low humming. Lan Wangji hummed the song he sung to Wei WuXian, the only one he had ever sung for. his eyes looked up at the dark section of the cave and could imagine Wei WuXian’s feverish expression smiling at him. That time he had Wei WuXian’s head on his lap as he hummed, it was one of the memories he held so dearly. looking down at his lap, his slender fingers continued to play, his humming increased a volume and Lan Wangji noticed his shaking voice and unsteady fingers, suddenly the music stopped when one of the strings broke halting his movements. Lan Wangji stared at the zither and his finger which was caught by the string giving him a small cut.

Taking a deep breath he shifted and took the zither into his arms and embraced it, with his eyes closed and lips pressed tightly in a thin line he refused to let the waters gathering on the corner of his eyes to fall. what is there to cry about? Wei WuXian would be back! why mourn his death when he knew he would be back? but when? how long? would he really be back?

Lan Wangji stayed there and calmed his breathing making sure he was already composed he looked at his zither and wrapped it with white linen cloth before he slung it on his back. walking around he paused and looked down as he stepped into something hard, pushing his robes aside he slowly bent down and picked it.

It was the branding iron of Wen Sect, Lan Wangji looked at it, the stick was broken and only half portion of it is still intact to the brand, his mood fell even down and he gripped it tightly before shoving it on his pouch he took one look at the surroundings and sighed before taking his leave. Lan Wangji went back it was already night and he remembered that he needed to be back before curfew. with long strides he walked the path back to the market.

Lan Wangji walked in the marketplace, the Jiang sect disciples already left and there was no traces of other cultivators anymore some stalls are still up and the people still went about their businesses. Lan Wangji walked with his white robes fluttering along the winds his attention was caught by a voice calling for him.

“Young Cultivator sir, would you like to buy something for your loved one?”

Lan Wangji looked at the old woman that was beckoning him to look at his stall. he walked closer and looked at the items, the woman seemed pleased and she immediately started to show some of her precious products. hairpins made of fine jades and other expensive accessories, but Lan Wangji paid no attention to it and reacher out to pick a red ribbon. he held it tightly and stared at it his face stayed as calm as always but his eyes looked at the item with grief.

The old woman saw this and she looked at Lan Wangji. “I always see you around here, walking with those sunken eyes. you arrive looking hopeful and returned looking defeated”

Lan Wangji looked at her and didnt say anything.

“Im sorry if im prying too much, it must be some personal matters” she smiled, and looked at the items on her stall. “Are you searching for someone? perhaps i could help? ive been in these street since childhood i know when i see new faces”

“No need” Lan Wangji murmured still running his fingers on the red ribbon, feeling the fabric on his hand.

“oh” the woman seemed to understood what he meant and just looked at him.

“Ill get this” Lan Wangji picked the ribbon and paid for it, he was about to leave when the woman stopped him and handed him another item. Lan Wangji looked at her and the item on his hand it was an incense burner, crafted like a lotus. “I dont want this” he murmured.

“No, No ill give that to you” she smiled “It had been with me for a long time but no one buys it” a small sigh escaped her lips “from what i heard it would allow you to see someone you desperately wanted to see” She glanced at Lan Wangji who looked at the incense burner.  “it might help you find that person”

“Thank you” Lan Wangji bowed and handed her some money for the incense burner, she refused it but due to Lan Wangji not budging in front of her stall unless she accepts it she finally took the money and smiled, thanking Lan Wangji as well.

.

.

.

Lan Wangji returned to Gusu and as he walked he passed by the town of Caiyi, the place is quite memorable to him, in this place is where he saw how brilliant Wei WuXian was, and how much he would do everything for the sake of others. saving Su She that time Lan Wangji didn't know why he suddenly took off faster than Jiang Cheng, maybe because of the danger his impulse worked fast but he knew now that quick intake of breath he did back there was because of Wei WuXian was in danger.

He turned around and started walking again, his eyes fell on a liquor shop, the jars of emperor smile piled up and he stared at it, a sudden flash of memory imprinted on his mind when he first saw Wei WuXian carrying the jars of emperor smile and slipped inside Cloud Recesses. Lan Wangji can remember every detail of that encounter as  if it happened just yesterday, that cheerful and beautiful voice once said:

“ It’s Emperor Smile! I'll give you a jar! “

Lan Wangji saw the shop owner and he pointed at the jar “Ill buy four of them”.

The shop owner was pleased and immediately packed the jars, Lan Wangji observed him and looked around. Realizing its already pass Cloud Recesses curfew he frowned, what should he do?. Handing his payment he took the jars and continued walking until he arrived in front of Cloud Recesses he observed the place before rounding up on the other side of the wall he looked up at it. He would be violating rules if he goes in now, he looked around and decided to climb up, leaping from the ground he used the large stone as leverage to take him up further. once he was on the roof he looked around and saw no one patrolling he jumped down. A faint smile crossed his face as he realize how was it like sneaking back, did Wei WuXian felt this thrill sneaking in and out Cloud Recesses?

Lan Wangji continued to walk his light colored eyes looked around  after spotting a familiar place his footsteps stopped and he stood in front of a tree, looking up at it he recalled how Wei WuXian clung to this tree as if his very life depended on it. He heard Wei WuXian’s desperate cries that night and saw him climbed the tree at first he was confused on what was happening until he saw Jin Zixuan's dog looking up and barking thats when he found out he was actually afraid of dogs. He had circled that tree waiting for him to come down but it seems he didn't want Lan Wangji to see him, after realizing that he left. The next morning he talked to Jin ZiXuan to keep his dog down the mountain and made sure for it to stay there.

Lan Wangji arrived in the Jingshi, he placed the jars on the table also his Zither unwrapping the white linen cloth he frowned at the broken string. sighing he swept his robes to the side and sat down looking at the jars of Emperor Smile he picked one and opens it, he was assaulted by the strong scent of the alcohol and frowned even more. He never had alcohol in his entire life, it was prohibited but he heard that liquor could make you forget, even just for one night perhaps he could indulge himself? he picked up the jar and directly drank from it taking big gulps made him cough as the burning on his throat intensified from drinking it.

He could feel the sleepiness seep through him and he frowned. slowly bending down as he rested his head on his arm that was on the table. Lan Wangji fell asleep but was woken up when he hear a thud of something falling. his light colored eyes slowly opened and he sat up, saw his zither on the ground, his must have pushed it  with his hand. He stared at it for a moment and didnt picked it up, he left it there and stood up picking the unfinished jar he walked towards the window. he leaned against it looking outside he drank once again from the jar, but he didnt feel light headed at all. he can feel the cold wind bruising on his robes and he shivered, he finished the jar just like how Wei WuXian drank it in front of him when they first met.

Lan Wangji dropped the jar and walked back to the table, his steps wobbling as he picked up another jar and opened it. “Wei Ying.. “ he murmured “Why do you like to drink this? “ he murmured and removed his boots throwing it to the side he drank from the jar and frowned “taste..good” he kept on staring at the jar before realizing something he started searching for his robes and took out his pouch, unhurriedly untying it he dropped the contents on the table, the branding iron, incense burner and the red ribbon laid on the table, Lan Wangji picked the last item, his fingers running on the red fabric he bought it on his lips to kiss. “Wei Ying.. Wei Ying” he repeatedly called and his eyes fell on the Wen Sect branding iron. he reached out for the jar of emperor smile and took a drink from it eyes still looking intently at the item on his table. Lan Wangji remembered a conversation a long time ago in the cave.

“The thing in your body now will not be able to come off for the rest of your life either”

“Even though this wont be able to come off, it represents the fact that I protected a maiden, and the maiden will definitely remember me after this, She wont be able to forget me for the rest of her life”

Lan Wangji’s expression darkened, that moment he didn't know what emotions was overpowering him. Anger, Worry and Jealousy, Angry at the fact that Wei WuXian would recklessly throw his life for people he didn't even know, always, always saving others first. worried at the scar it would leave on his perfect body, disregarding his own injury in favor of treating his leg and lastly jealousy, it was the first time Lan Wangji had felt that surge of emotion that he didn't know how to handle it. Lan Wangji held the branding iron and frowned, of course Wei WuXian would remember her as well for the rest of his life for leaving this mark. that night in the cave by impulse he bit him hard, with the purpose of leaving a mark on him as well.

That maiden Mianmian will remember him for the rest of her life. she stood tall and threw her position away in standing up for Wei WuXian. Lan Wangji had admired her courage, now that he thinks about it, she turned her back against her sect without hesitation, something that Lan Wangji had also done but…

His grip on the branding iron tightened and he grabbed the jar of emperor smile finishing it as well he tossed the jar on the side and lit a fire talisman slapping it on the branding iron until it turned red Lan Wangji pulled his robes down and took a sharp breath before branding his chest on the same location where Wei WuXian received his. “Gagh!” He threw the iron away and slumped his head against the table, his eyes is blurry and he took deep breaths, his chest sizzling from the aftermath of his deed. perhaps having this brand would always make him remember about Wei WuXian, that he also had one like this. He sat up and grabbed the third jar of Emperor Smile, his hand trembling as he reached out for it, removed the lid and started drinking from there too. he held the ribbon on his other hand and finally glanced at the last item on the table.

The Incense burner.

Lan Wangji stared at it for a moment, studying the lotus shaped item lifted his head and took it. the words of the seller earlier run on his head.

“from what i heard it would allow you to see someone you desperately wanted to see”

Lan Wangji shot up and looked took the Incense burner, lighting it he was engulfed by the sweet fragrance of lotus in full bloom. it reminded him of Wei WuXian and his story about Lotus Pier, he once invited him but he refused, now that he thinks about it, he should have went and agreed.

“Wei Ying” he murmured and sighed, looking at the incense burner he frowned, nothing happened.. he gritted his teeth and slammed his fist on the table. “I want to see you Wei Ying!” he hissed, biting his lower lip as the tears he held back for three months finally spilled on his light colored eyes falling on the incense burner as he sobbed, hands gripping some of his long locks trying to steady his heavy breathing. his head throbbing as he repeatedly called out the name of the person he desperately wanted to see before he slowly fell asleep.

“Wei Ying.. come back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21K 743 9
After Wei WuXian is torn apart, he wakes up in cloud recesses in the middle of a lecture. Still in his traumatized state, how will he survive? The We...
61.2K 2.6K 11
Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji's Second Life after Reincarnation, but this time Wei Wuxian didn't want to be the underdog to Lan Wangji. ️ Top/Seme : We...
75.1K 6.4K 55
A sunny meadow above a waterfall, soulmates meeting after too long apart - this was not the end, but the beginning. Fates and Clans did their worst...
2.7K 172 15
After the death of his soulmate. lan wangji wanted to follow him but he changed his mind when an immortal told him something and he continued to live...