How To Be A Queen (Myths Find...

AerithSage द्वारा

What if Hades never met Persephone? What if he has been alone for millennia now, lonely and ruling the underw... अधिक

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1 - A Ray of Hope
Chapter 2 - Dreaming of You
Chapter 3 - Such is Life
Chapter 4 - Eighteen
Chapter 5 - Aphrodite
Chapter 6 - Death Comes Swiftly
Chapter 7 - A Second Chance
Chapter 8 - Creepy New Friends
Chapter 9 - Immortal Danger
Chapter 10 - This is Real
Chapter 11 - The Locket
Chapter 13 - Meet Me Halfway
Chapter 14 - One Giant Spider
Chapter 15 - Two Steps Back
Chapter 16 - One Step Forward

Chapter 12 - Nothing But A Pawn

274K 13.6K 4K
AerithSage द्वारा

Aerith's Room
Hades' Palace
The Underworld

-Aerith-

I woke up when the curtains were drawn back and sunlight hit my face.

"Five more minutes, Cathy," I murmured.

"Your highness?" answered a voice I haven't heard before. I opened my eyes and had to blink several times to get the blurriness away. Last I remembered was crying myself to sleep after Claudine left. Now, I'm paying the price because my eyes felt so swollen.

"Your highness?" the same voice repeated.

There were three ladies in my room. They all looked alike and wore the same dresses but in different colors. After looking at them, I looked around my room. My heart fell when I realized it was still the same as yesterday.

Part of me broke because at that exact moment, I accepted that this was really no dream.

The three women bowed as they approached. "Are you feeling well? Do you need anything?"

I shook my head. "Who are you?"

"Our apologies for our manners. My name is Ruby. This is Sapphire and Amethyst." After hearing that, I resisted the urge to laugh. First of all, they were named after freaking gemstones! Second, their names matched their hair. Ruby had red hair, Sapphire a dark blue, and Amethyst purple.

"We're your maids. In our mortal lives, we've served a line of royalty. In the afterlife, we've volunteered to serve the king and he's assigned us to you, your highness. If there's anything you need, just call our names and we'll be there," Sapphire explained. Ruby and Amethyst both bowed.

Seriously, what's with all this bowing and formal titles?

My jaw fell. "Uhm. I'm good, thanks," I replied. If this is the first thing about being queen then I'm already totally failing.

"Is the room to your liking? If there are any changes you wish to be made, we'll have it done right away," Amethyst said.

I shook my head. "No. This room is beautiful," I replied. I wasn't able to hide the awe in my voice there. Just like the rest of this place, this room was magnificent. The three ladies grinned at my reply. "His highness will be very happy to hear that. He personally oversaw all the changes that were made to this room," Ruby said.

Something inside me melted. "Uhm. Please tell him I said thank you."

"Your highness, you can thank him personally! The king requests your presence. He wishes to have breakfast with you."

I closed my eyes and counted to three before I opened them again. I don't have anything against Hades and he seems like a really nice guy but knowing that the choice of what I'll do with my life has been taken away from me just breaks my heart. I felt like a pawn in a great, big game of chess where my every move is dictated and my purpose set right from the beginning.

"Can I just eat here in my room for now?" I whispered. The three gems looked at each other like I just committed the worse social faux pas in the history of time.

"Your highness, we beg you to reconsider. The king was most excited to eat with you today now that you are here." The three looked at me with expectation and guilt settled heavily in my gut.

"Alright. Fine. I'll just go shower," I told them. When they heard that, they almost bounced with excitement. Ruby hurried towards a set of double doors while Amethyst dashed into another door.

"We'll help you get ready," Sapphire announced.

"This door on the left leads to the bathroom. The double doors here lead to your closet. It's already stocked with the basics but the seamstress will be coming soon to get you outfitted for more. This door to the right, the biggest one, is the door adjoining your bedroom to the king's," she instructed.

I squeaked when I heard the last sentence. Before I could think, I ran past Sapphire towards the door to the right. I turned the knob and made sure it was locked. I also shoved the nearby chair under it for good measure. It won't hold but at least it would make some noise when the door was opened.

I looked back towards Sapphire and saw that she had this perplexed look in her face. It was a good thing however when she chose not to comment on what I just did for I, myself, don't know what came over me.

"It's okay, Sapphire. I don't need help with my bath. I'll just have a quick shower," I told her.

"We'll just be outside the door, your highness. We'll escort you to the dining room after your bath," she said. The three bowed once more and exited the room.

I bathed quickly and re-emerged from the bathroom fifteen minutes later. A simple black dress was laid out for me on the bed. It looked like the material was made of velvet and it certainly looked expensive. I flipped the dress over and started looking for price tags but sadly there was none. But I didn't need any price tag to tell me how expensive this little black dress is.

The three ladies – maybe I should call them gems from now on – accompanied me and we walked down the corridors again. There were many twists and turns before we ended up in front of another set of golden doors. As I left my room, I made a mental note to remember every room in this large palace or I might just find myself getting lost. But I lost track of it in just about the third turn.

Two guards were situated outside the double doors and they immediately stood straight and bowed as I approached.

They bowed to me as they opened the doors. The first thing I saw was him.

It's just like in my dreams. Whenever he was near, I could feel him. In a crowded room, my eyes would search for him and find him first. He wore a black long-sleeved shirt, black pants, black boots. No armor and no cape today and this must be the most casual clothing I've seen him in – apart from my dreams, of course.

He had his back turned as he stared absent-mindedly at the wall while clutching a glass of wine in his hand. He turned as though sensing me and our eyes met from across the room. Quickly, I looked away.

My jaw dropped as I beheld the most opulent dining hall I've ever seen. A long banquet table stood in the middle of the room. It was made of black marble while the legs were solid gold. Platinum plates and tableware were laid out and it contrasted nicely with the dark color of the table. I looked up and saw a huge chandelier which was made of diamonds. It cast an ethereal light over the dining hall.

Towards the left and the right of the room stood many servants who wore the same dark uniforms and carried golden trays.

"We'll return shortly. If you need anything, just call our names," Ruby told me. Before I can acknowledge her statement, the three of them exited the door.

Well, this is it, Aerith.

Hades pulled out a chair for me and I sat. Right away, a servant approached and placed a napkin on my lap. "Uh. Thanks," I murmured. My eyes widened as I saw the food spread out in the table. As if on cue, my stomach rumbled in reply.

Hades smiled as he took a seat. His was at the head of the long table and mine was to his right. "I hope the food is to your liking," he said.

At this point, I was beyond words. The food being served was a banquet fit to feed an army. Every food that comes to mind when someone says the word 'breakfast' is here. There was toasted bread, bacon, pancakes, waffles, hotdogs, bagel, cream cheese as well as slices of different kinds of cheese, butter, jars of various fruit jams, a bowl filled with fruits, eggs cooked in every way possible, yogurt, and so much more!

"I didn't know what you liked to eat for breakfast so I ask the chef to prepare everything," Hades told me as he sliced open a pomegranate and removed the seeds. "Pomegranate?" he offered. I shook my head. Please, eat," he added as my stomach rumbled yet again.

I am in breakfast heaven right now! I picked up my knife and fork and reached for a piece of bagel and slathered it with cream cheese. Then, I started piling my plate high with everything I could reach. I proceeded to stuff my mouth full because food is life.

When my plate was cleared of second and third servings, I leaned back against my chair. Now, I could take a nap for hours.

"The food is good?" Hades asked.

"Very," I answered.

"How about your room? If there's any changes you wish to make, you need only ask."

"It's great, thank you. Your home is beautiful."

He smiled and my heart did a somersault. He inclined his head to the side and spoke, "I'm glad you think so. It's your home now too."

And just like that, the spell was broken. "Uh. Yeah. I'm sorry for how I acted yesterday. I've accepted the fact that this isn't a dream. But I think something's wrong here."

His smile vanished and he frowned. "What is it?"

"I think the Fates made a mistake. I... I'm no queen. Maybe this is a case of mistaken identity and you're looking for someone else."

Hades sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "You are my queen. It's not a case of mistaken identity. You are the daughter of the Fates and they even sent in an oracle to guard you. For years, you've dreamt of me. How do you explain that then?" he asked. He talked slowly as though he was either praying for patience or thinking that I'm an idiot.

But he was right. I've dreamt of him for as long as I can remember. That part I haven't thought about a counter answer yet, I guess. After that there was an awkward silence between us. Not knowing what do with my hands, I reached for an apple and bit into it. I chewed as slowly as possible.

"I still think all of this is a mistake. Being queen? I know nothing about it!"

"And I shall teach you everything. After our marriage and your coronation, I will show you the rest of the Underworld and teach you how everything runs." He said the words as though he had all the confidence in the world.

"Coronation? M-marriage?" I gasped. Please, let it be that I just heard it wrong. My heart started pounding inside my chest and my head started to ache. I looked at my surroundings and it seemed to be spinning.

"Yes. Which reminds me why I invited you to breakfast today – that is aside from the fact that I do want to spend time with you, of course. I wanted to get your input. Tomorrow, the seamstresses will arrive to measure you for the dress you shall use in the wedding and in the coronation. And then we shall start planning. The color schemes, theme, all those things I leave to you. But you'll have the help of the best shades. Then we go meet some—"

I choked on the piece of apple I was munching on. Hades immediately stood up and handed me some juice. When my coughing ceased, I looked at him with pure incredulity.

"Are you alright? Did I say something wrong?" he asked.

"Yes!" I shouted. The servants flinched and looked away. I didn't mean for it to be so loud but marriage? A coronation? This is one giant mess I'm in right now.

"Leave," Hades commanded. I've never seen shades walk away so fast. Then, he turned to me. "What seems to be the problem?"

I held up my palm. "A lot!" I answered. I ticked off my fingers as I spoke, "Number one, you said marriage. I don't even know you! And I'm just eighteen. I'm too young!"

He frowned and opened his mouth to speak but I continued my rant. "Number two: coronation. I really think there's some kind of mistake here. But more than that, where is my choice in the matter? What if I don't want to be queen? What if I want to go back to my life before all this?"

A muscle ticked in his jaw. He brought his palms down on the table and the sound was so loud that it was my turn to flinch. "You cannot go back to your old life, Aerith. You are in danger. Those mortals who came after your friend, they saw you. They will find you to get to us."

"I'll move away! I'll hide with Claudine!" I countered.

He shook his head. "That won't work. You've seen them. They're organized and they have resources. Through marriage, you will be granted immortality by the council."

"Council? What council? And what if I don't want to be immortal? What if I don't want to be queen?"

He looked at me as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Why wouldn't you want to be immortal?" he asked. Then, he paused as though thinking about his words. I saw a wave of sadness cross over his features but it was gone as soon as it appeared.

"Because time stretches on and I'm going to watch my friends die and it will be lonely," I whispered.

He looked down and studied his fingers. Then, he sighed. "From what I know about your life, your only friend is Claudine. She is immortal and she would not want to watch you die. You won't ever be lonely. You'll have me."

There was a bitterness in his tone and it tugged at my heart. It was as if something in me was responding to him. I wanted to reach out and offer comfort. I shook my head and cleared it of those thoughts.

"I don't even know you," I replied.

"You will. We will spend time together. I'll woo you formally. For now, I want you to be made an immortal."

"What about me and what I want?"

I stood up abruptly and the sound of the chair scraping back felt so loud in this large room.

"It is already written. It is your destiny. The ceremony is more of a formality. The Fates themselves destined you for me. The ceremony is to introduce you to the rest of the gods and also to establish you as my queen. We could go without all of that if you'd like. But you'd still be my queen. You'd still be mine."

I laughed. "Why does everyone think that just because it is destined that it has to happen? Am I just a pawn in this game? What about my choices?"

"Fate is–" Hades began but I cut him off.

"What if I want to defy fate?"

He shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose again. "Everything happens for a reason, Aerith. There's no defying fate. You are my fated and even now it shows in this pull we have towards each other. A fated love is unlike any other. I can show you that if only you'll give me a chance."

"What has love got to do with this?" I asked. He opened his mouth to speak but I shook my head. "Please, let's not talk about love. What I want to know is how I can get back to my life. Please release me from this prison, Hades. I have a life before this. I can't just turn my back on everything I've ever known to come here and be something I'm not."

He reeled as if I've slapped him. When he looked at me again, his eyes burned with anger.

"Prison? I'm trying to give you everything!" he shouted. "I want to lay the entire world at your feet and you refuse it. You refuse to even give me a chance!" he added. I felt the ground rumble in response to his anger. I swayed on my feet and clutched the chair for support.

"From what I know about your life, the mortals are cruel to you and you exist day to day in poverty. Your foster mother is kicking you out and you don't have a place to live. You don't have any friends aside from the Oracle," he pointed out.

I flinched. Now that was just harsh. Tears started to blur my vision but I blinked them back. But it was too slow. He saw and he also stood up. He lifted his hand to reach for me but I stepped back.

"At least in that life, I have a choice," I whispered.

I turned on my heels and started walking out the door.

"Aerith!" I heard him shout. But I didn't look back because my tears were now falling down my cheeks. I dashed them away quickly with the back of my hand. I heard his heavy footsteps coming towards me.

I ran. I don't know where I'll go and I'll probably be lost in the maze of this big palace. But right now, I didn't care.

I just wanted to be as far away from here as possible.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

37.4K 1.7K 86
"Jealous?" "Why would I be?" "Because I know your fantasies." He argued. I leaned closer to him, smelling his overwhelming scent. "And I'm appalled...
43.7K 1.7K 54
What if mythology isn't a myth? Callie Prescott has the rest of her life planned out: get into med school, become a heart surgeon, and heal the world...
296K 9.8K 42
"V&L" read our initials. So delicately carved into a now surely dead Henry's plum-colored flesh. His glazed eyes continue to stare in my direction-Th...
196K 5.3K 39
Persephone has already been kidnapped by Hades, her unwanted and unexpected suitor. Demeter has already cast a famine on all the humans in her grief...