Suddenly, There was Kai

By asallan

"I thought I was in decent control of my life, I thought I understood everything. I was so, so, wrong. How co... More

Author's Note and Back Ground
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Author note
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30: final

Chapter 27

260 24 0
By asallan

"We are here." The woman said as we came to a stop.

I look up from my phone to see we are at a red light intersection. "Where?"

She points to a grand-looking building just ahead about a block down to the right of us. "All right, can I get out here?"

"Sure, that will be $25."

I hand the woman my card and she swipes it and returns it to me a moment later.

I unfasten my seat belt and open the door. "Thank you."

The woman watches as I exit the car. "It was my pleasure, really. I wish you the best of luck!"

"Thank you!" I yell through the window shortly before I take off down the pavement.

I took the opportunity to check the time while I waited for the on coming traffic to subside. It was just after six, and hopefully, I wasn't too late. I felt semi-bad for just showing up like this but all other options lead to an opportunity lost; doesn't it?

The crossing sign lights up, and I took off running again, my feet screaming at me to stop because of the fact that I was wearing heels, but I had to keep going. When I reached the hotel entrance, I came to a stop, my anxiety suddenly going through the roof and my heart threatening to come out of my chest. Through the glass, I could see people wondering around the lobby. Some dressed elaborately, while others where more casual, and more than a few looking as if they could be guests of the bride and groom.

It's now or never Gabriel. Go through the door.

I inhale slowly as I move toward the doors that slide open immediately upon my approach. There seemed to be more people roaming the lobby than I first thought.

I started across the open floor, looking around for anything that would let me know where the ballrooms were and I soon spotted a sign over to my right that read Meeting Rooms/ Ballrooms.

I wanted to run, but settled for a fast-paced walk as I wove my way around people and furniture. The rooms were located down a long hallway and the one I needed in particular looked to be at the very end.

I could see people stopping to greet a man and two women located just in front of the doorway of the room. As I moved toward them, I could see that the man resembled Kai in height and body stature, his father, and he is every bit as handsome as his son in a dark blue tuxedo. The woman next to him dressed in what looked to be a traditional gown had to be his mother; they shared the same smile and eyes.

What am I doing? The thought made me stop in my tracks. I watched them for a moment as they laughed with their guests. It becomes painfully clear that I am about to crash their son's wedding, and for what, my own selfish stubbornness? How could I do this to them? They haven't done anything wrong to me. What if this doesn't work out the way I want it to? Or, even if it did, what if they ended up hating me because I had caused so much embarrassment?

I suddenly became aware of my back tracking down the hall toward the lobby. I was no longer sure that I could do this.

Wanting to get out of site, I ducked down a smaller hallway. It was empty save a few potted plants that were spaced along the wall to my left. On the right side there were two sets of doors with one set located near me and the other set closer to the end. The doors furthest from me were open, the light from within spilling out into the hallway. Thinking I could maybe gather my wits in there, I made my way to the open door, pausing momentarily to remove my shoes. Slowly, the sound of hushed voices made its way to my ears. I started to turn around, but there was something familiar about it. When I came to a stop just beyond the doorway, I was certain whose voice I was hearing.

"I can't believe this is happening right now! How can you be doing this right now?" The woman asked, her voice straining to remain a whisper. There was no response from other person as she paced around the room whimpering. "Everyone is waiting for us! What are we going to do now?"

"Seon-Joo, I know it doesn't mean much at this point in time, but I am sorry. I just can't go through with this. Just tell everyone it is my fault, because it is, but I would much rather end it now, than to go through with this and cause more pain and trouble later."

"There is someone else, isn't there?" Seon-Joo asked after a moment. Her tone wasn't accusatory or malicious. It was more like she was stating a newly discovered fact.

A moment passed before he answered. "Yes and no."

Seon-Joo laughs in a way that seems to say 'are you serious right now?' "What kind of answer is that?"

"It's complicated."

"I guess I should have seen this coming. You have been a different person these past two months Kai. I couldn't put my finger on it before, but I noticed how your mind always seemed to be some place else. Now I see it was with some one else. Just like that day we did our photo shoot; I had never seen you smile like that. I wanted to believe that it was because of me, but I should've known it wasn't, but I held on, hoping anyway."

I had become teary eyed, as I stood there listening. Part of it was my feeling sorry for Seon-Joo, but most of it was from the happiness I felt. The realization that everything I had been feeling was now validated. I smiled happily as I wiped away the tears that rolled down my face.

"I would be lying to you if I told you that I had been having doubts myself, however I just reasoned it to be the usual nerves and the like. "I love Kai, but is it because I am in love with him?" That was the question I had been asking myself. I even tried to talk to my mom about what I was feeling, but she brushed it off mostly."

Footsteps approached the door causing me to panic slightly. I quickly turned and made my way back down the hallway stopping at the end. I peeked around the corner to see Seon-Joo's brother and another man walking my way. I quickly take out my phone and hold it close pretending I am talking to someone and turning my back slightly to hide my face. They turn down the hall passing by me; I pull the phone away from my face, my gaze following them as they go into the room.

I wanted to go back, to hear what was happening, but I didn't. Several moments later, there was some commotion; I guess the secret was now out.

I see the older gentleman re-emerge from the room and I quickly turn around. He storms past me muttering what were possibly obscenities and insults in Korean. I watch as he stops in front of Kai's parents. Seconds later, his mother is sprinting up the hallway, her skirts rustling about her legs. She moves past me in a rush, the look on her face was pure worry. I didn't want to leave, but I knew the longer I stood here, the higher the chance of being seen by Kai, Seon-Joo or her brother.

I left my spot in the hallway opening moving in the direction of the lobby. I wanted to let him know that I was here, but at the same time, I didn't want to come out of hiding just yet. I took a seat off to the side that gave me a decent view of anyone coming or going down the hall that leads to the ballrooms. Minutes later Seon-Joo and her brother appear. They walk through the lobby in the direction of the elevators disappearing behind a wall of potted plants. She looked more resolved than anything, the edges of her mouth turned up ever so slightly, however I could see that she was holding tightly onto her brother's arm feeding off of his strength. To let go of him, would mean falling into a million pieces. I knew the look well; it was the same face I had worn so many times in the days following my mother's passing.

Some time later, Kai appeared from the hallway alone. He looked weary, but relieved. He removed his coat and tie as he crossed the lobby toward the front doors. I slipped my shoes on and stood up looking around as I did so and started hobbling after him, my feet protesting loudly at being put back into the shoes.

He moved pretty quickly, his steps even and determined as he made his way along the sidewalk. At this rate, I was not going to be able to catch up to him. I stopped to unlock my phone and dialed his number hoping he would hear it ringing and answer.

The phone started to ring.

Up ahead, he is steadily walking away from me, but I see him reach into his pant pocket to take out his phone. He comes to a stop raising the phone up to his ear.

"Gabe?" His voice is heavy, but surprised.

"Hi, I was just returning your phone call. I hope I am not catching you a bad time?" I start walking toward him while he is stopped.

He took in a breath. "No, not at all. I was actually going to call you in a little while anyway."

"Really? Don't tell me that you are thinking about work on a day like today, are you?"

He gave a slight chuckle. "No, definitely not work related. Did you listen to the voice mail?"

"I did. I am sorry that I missed your call. I was out with my co-worker Janet. You remember her?" He started walking again and I picked up the pace a little. "She wanted to drag me around town to look at some possible wedding locations." I cringed a bit as I say this to him.

He stopped again. "Oh, sorry to bother you. I can let you go if you need to get back to that."

"No! I am done with that. When I heard your message, is it true- the things that you said?" I finally caught up to him stopping a few feet behind him.

"Yes, all of it."

"And what was it that you were trying to say when you were cut off?" I closed the remaining distance between us.

"I was trying to tell you that- well I wanted to say it to you in person." He sighed into the phone.

I huffed a little into the phone as I held myself back from jumping on to him. "Don't make me wait until the next time I see you. I may die from suspense-"

"I love you, Gabriel."

Even though I knew it was coming, I still started to cry. Reaching a hand out, I touched his shoulder while taking the phone away from my face. "I love you too, Kai."

He spun around so quickly, that I jumped away almost falling back, but he reached out wrapping his arms around me to steady me.

"How? When did you-?" He asked as he held me close to him.

I simply smiled up at him after I pulled away reluctantly. "About thirty minutes ago."

"Thirty?" He asked still in a daze.

"Yes, I arrived just in time to hear you and Seon-Joo... I- I didn't mean to over hear, I was just trying to stay out of sight." He leans down, his mouth finding my own.

We melted into each other, it was the best feeling; and everything I had daydreamed about, lived up to my expectations. I don't remember how long we stood there in the middle of the sidewalk totally absorbed in each other. When we did finally pull away, we looked at each other and laughed.

"Maybe we should change our location?" He said resting his forehead against mine.

"To where?"

"Was there somewhere you were staying?"

I laugh at this and he gives me a questioning look. "I literally arrived here an hour ago, and I am supposed to be flying to Miami tomorrow afternoon. So to answer your question, no, there isn't anywhere that I am staying."

He looked at me wide-eyed. "You came all this way just for me? Without even knowing what would happen after you came here?

I look down, slightly embarrassed. "I know, I know, Greg has already fussed with me and called me insane."

He lifts my chin kissing me again. "Agreed on the insane part, but I am glad that you are here. When is your flight back?

"I don't know yet. It all depended on the situation."

"I see." He says as his hands slide down my arms to find my hands. "So now that you have assessed the situation, what do you think?"

"That I need to see what would be the latest possible flight?" I smile up at him and he grins in a way that almost makes his eyes disappear and I melt a little.

"Well, we can figure something out. I am staying with my parents, so I was actually on my way back there. Care to join me? I was going to take the train, but we can get a ride." He looks around and spots several taxis making their way down the street. He steps to the curb and attempts to get their attention and one makes its way over to us.

My stomach flipped for what was probably the eighth time today as the smile left my face. "Your parents?" I swallowed hard. "Would that be all right? I don't want to cause any trouble."

"I showed them a picture of you and they want to meet you. It's just going to be sooner than they thought since you are already here." He opens the door and we climb in. He tells the driver the destination and we merge into the traffic.

I calmed down a little, a slight smile lighting my face. "They do?" He nods. "Wait. You didn't tell them that I am engaged did you?"

"No, I left out that detail. I just said that I would tell them later whether or not you felt the same about me; that I needed to talk to you first." He took my hand in his lifting my hand to his lips.

I smiled warmly at him. "You had to have known. I tried to hide it, I really did, but I am pretty sure I failed at several points."

"Maybe, but that is why I asked you those questions at the party. I wasn't sure. When you answered the way you did, I had tried to convince myself that I was just imagining things."

"I wanted to say something, but I thought I was being selfish. I didn't want to be responsible for destroying your relationship. To tell you the truth, there were so many times that I wanted to tell you. I have wanted to tell you I liked you since day one and I have been in love with you since just before the Gala. I even planned to tell you somehow, but then I unceremoniously find out you were engaged and I had to try to bury my feelings." I looked away, a little embarrassed.

"That was when I had realized that I loved you, when I saw you standing there looking so beautiful as an angel. I realized that I was starting to feel something toward you months ago. I don't know when exactly, but suddenly you were all I could think about. When I kissed you that night, I felt shame at the fact that I did that while being in the relationship with Seon-Joo and then I knew about you and Ian and I felt I might have ruined what you thought about me. I had tried to forget my feelings for you once Seon-Joo's parents and my parents had given permission for us to get engaged, but that day at the Gala- I realized it was useless. I couldn't help the way I felt, but I also didn't know what to do about Seon-Joo. Then I hear that you are engaged and so I decided to continue with Seon-Joo and try to get over you."

"That is what you and he had argued about, isn't?" I say suddenly and he nods. "I am sorry that the two of you argued over me."

"Don't be, I needed to hear the things he said; and I tried to ignore it to the very the end, but I couldn't. That is when I picked up the phone to call you. I am sorry for putting you through so much." He kisses me again and I lay my head on his shoulder.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 216 27
He feared that she would always be an obsession to him until he finally decided to do something about it.
3.8K 352 31
All it took was one fateful encounter with her to change his life.
85.1K 5.3K 57
My name is Nikito Travis. I'm a junior in High School. And I have an interesting problem. My very unusual and strange fear of beautiful men. Asian ma...
32.2K 695 30
๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐€๐ฅ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐๐ฒ ๐Š๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐–๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐“๐ข๐ฆ๐ž ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ฌ. ๐ก๐จ๐ฉ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ ๐ฎ๐ฒ๐ฌ ๐ž๐ง๐ฃ๐จ๐ฒ. COMPLETED.