Unsavable

By Prickly_Thorns

How can emptiness feel so heavy? For Andrea, emptiness has become a part of her everyday life. All alone, th... More

Unsaveable
.Prologue.
.1.
.3.
.4.
.5.
.6.
.7.
.8.
.9.
.10.
.11.
.12.
.13.
.14.
.15.
.16.
. 17.
.18.

.2.

353 13 2
By Prickly_Thorns

"Miss Andrea?"

I do not know who called me. I could barely hear a thing over the loud rain. I tilted my head slightly to the side where I heard the call and opened my eyes.

There stood a figure before me, holding an umbrella. The rain and bad lighting blurred their features leaving me unable to make out who they were until they appeared closer.

I was surprised.

"Miss Andrea? Ah it is you, I was correct."

There standing before me was the stranger from this morning who paid for my coffee, William. Someone who I thought I would never see again. He positioned his umbrella over me successfully blocking the rain from hitting me.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah." I breathed out. I could see the condensation of my breath as the warm air met with the cold. It was then I noticed how cold it was, or rather how cold I was but it did not seem to phase me the slightest.

"May I ask what you are doing sitting out here in the rain?" He arched an eyebrow.

"I'm simply enjoying it and I don't mean to rude, but could you please move your umbrella, Mr William." I addressed him in the manner he addressed me.

Truth be told, I did not have the energy to properly communicate to anyone and simply didn't want to. I hoped that my reply would cause him to leave me alone... Or did I really?

Maybe somewhere deep inside I wished someone would come save me, even if it was him, a stranger but I knew that would never happen.

Everyone is to busy fighting their own battles to help save others. In the end, the inevitable fact is that if you want to be saved, you have to be your own hero. It's the hard truth.

"In that case let me join you." He didn't leave me any room to object. He closed his umbrella and sat himself a space away next to me on the wet bench in the rain. "And please just call me William or Will."

I was still slightly startled at his strange antics but I gave a small nod at his request anyway. We sat comfortably in peaceful silence both totally drenched from head to toe.

I gazed over at William. He, much like I had done earlier, had his eyes closed and face tilted towards the sky the only difference in his form was that he had his arms crossed across his chest meanwhile mine rested limply across my lap.

It was then when I noticed how exhausted he looked, a huge contrast to what he looked like this morning. His shoulders were unhunched over in a slouch, his closed eye lids looked beyond too heavy and even his breathing came out in slow tired pants.

"Sorry if I am intruding..." He finally spoke after a while.

"No it's okay. It's actually appreciated having some company." I'm not sure why I said it, it just slipped out. He must think I'm a total weirdo. I'm surprised that I'm even talking to him when a few minutes ago I lacked the energy and will to communicate.

He gave me a lazy smile in return. Okay I take that back, he is the total weirdo here.

"I think I now know why you are enjoying the rain."

I was using the rain as a mask to my pain, maybe somewhere I was hoping that it would wash everything away. I had a feeling that's what he was referring to. That he could relate to the feeling the rain brought with it.

"You are a strange one." I spoke my thoughts purposefully this time.

"You are one to talk Miss Andrea, sitting here, at this time of the night drenched in the rain no less." He remarked back. Point taken, but he was here with me.

"Andrea, just Andrea." I wanted him to stop with the Miss, it was to formal and we were round the same age anyway.

"Well just Andrea, have you eaten anything yet?" I knew what he was trying to do.

"You barely know me..."

"I know enough, come on, there is a little restaurant nearby that still might be open."

"I barely know you..."

"Well then come along and you will get to know me."

"I don't have my purse." I was running out of excuses.

"I know, my treat."

"You got me coffee this morning, if anything I should be treating you."

I really didn't want to go but the man was instant.

"Well then, come with me and you are off the hook."

"It doesn't work like that." I raised an eyebrow and rolled my eyes, I failed to notice the small smile that came across my lips.

"Besides I'm cold and wet so I would rather go home."

He debated this for a while. His hazel eyes searching mine.

"Alright point taken. Would you like me to walk you?"

"Stranger danger." I said blandly in a monotone voice.

I knew he wouldn't do anything, I felt comforted in his presence alone but the inevitable fact was that indeed he was still a stranger, I still had to be careful.

He chuckled.

"Of course, I understand. We have only just met today. I hope we see each other again. I better be off, it's nearly eleven anyway."

I took it as my que to stand up. I nearly fainted right then and there. My vision blurred drastically and I held onto the bench for further support.

"You know, you shouldn't be afraid to ask for help."

He was still here, he hadn't left yet.

"I stood up to quickly that's all. Goodbye now, William." I turned to leave and mustard up what little strength I had left to walk like nothing was wrong with me.

It seemed to work. I was out of sight in no time. I was a shivering stumbling mess by the time I made it to my apartment building.

I barely had locked my door before I had collapsed on the floor. I had blacked out completely.

I woke up a few hours later and felt absolutely terrible. I had a major headache my nose was running. I was still in my wet clothes and shivering madly. The whole apartment was dark as not a single light was on but I could make out the furniture from the light emitting from the windows.

Forcing myself up onto my knees and crawled my way inch by inch into the bathroom. I barely managed to remove my clothes and get into the shower.

I turned the hot water on and sat on the floor, my back leaning against the cold tiled wall. When the water started heating up I adjusted it to the right temperature and sat there in the dark underneath the steaming water drowning in my thoughts once more.

My mind drifted off to William. He really was a peculiar person but he still sat with me in the rain, offered me food afterwards and when I declined, he offered to walk me back. He was a true gentleman from what I had noted albeit rather strange.

Everyone wants to be the sun to brighten up someone's darkest hour but he become the moon in that moment. He sat with me in silence in the midst of the down pour and accepted my reasons without hearing them and understood for he had his own. For that he will never know how grateful I truly am.

A part of me hopes that I will see him again. The stranger who paid for my coffee and felt the beauty of the rain with me.

But unfortunately it's pointless to hope. I realised this a while ago. It brings nothing but disappointment in life. Everything I ever hope for never happens. Hope is a fools game.

Once I had warmed up and gotten changed, I hung up my wet clothes. I had completely forgotten about my cell phone in my pocket when it was raining and I was paying the consequences.

It will not turn on. Great.

I stumble into the kitchen in search of rice. Filling up a bowl, I stuff the cell phone inside.

I then turn to the fridge in search of something to eat. Nothing just some old stale milk and some fruit. I really need to go shopping again.

I throw out the milk and search the cupboards. I am relieved to find an instant cup of soup sachet.

I put on the kettle and find a mug. While the kettle boils I look around for something that can help me with my headache and my cold.

Popping a few pills in my mouth, I make myself the soup and finish it slowly. I look up at the kitchen clock.

4:00

I debate whether or not I should go to bed because I need to be up in a few hours besides my phone will not switch on so that means my alarm won't go off. Unfortunately I wished that was the real reason or rather the only reason.

I really loved sleep, it was sometimes my only escape from reality but often even my sleep became hell. I had horrible nightmares and would wake up unrested. Not wanting to risk it, I chose to lie on the couch in front of the TV until it was time for work.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118 1 16
Thea Salvatore. She never thought her life could get so complicated, in such a short amount of time, in one situation continued on. After losing peop...
786 79 62
deep down everyone has secrets , deep down everyone is in pain. some people are just better at hiding it or feel like pain is okay. a girl who seems...
709 32 22
This book tells a story of a young bright woman named Karissa Hanley, whose had everything going for her. She was working at a great job in downtown...
387 5 17
Andrea is a girl who never learned to relax. Her few quiet moments were always ruined by family drama, or friend drama, or school drama. Even though...