The Nerd and The Brat ✔️

By a_cosmic_dust

His life was simple and plain until she turned it upside down by introducing him the world through a new lens... More

Hello
1. First Day
2. The Malhotras
3. Friends
4. The Trio
New Cover
5. The Polar Opposite Families
6. Discussing Manik
7. Unedited
8. Bunking Classes
9. The Talk and the absence
10. The Baby Brother
11. The Race
12. The Dinner
13. Malhotra Brothers?
14. My brother's babysitter?
15. Girlfriends and Feelings
16. Abhimanyu and Love
17. A Mother's Love
18. A Special Friend
19. A Drunken Affair
21. Nandakishore?
22. The Queen
23. It Hurts When She is Sad
24. Harshad
Let's Talk
25. The Queen strikes back
26. Just Another Day
Please Read
27. Manik's Girlfriend
28. The Deal
29. The Head Boy
30. Nyonika Malhotra
31. The Lunch
32. Vacations
33. Vacations II
34. Tall, Dark and Muscles
35. The Head Student(s)
36. The Murthy Stress
37. Astronomical Night
38. I Trust You
39. I'll Protect You
40. Mukti
41. Head Boy at Work
42. The One and Only
43. Disney Princess
44. The Meeting
45. Harshad Factor
46. I Would Choose You
47. The Outing
48. Farewell
49. The Future
Epilogue
Sequel
Sequel Published

20. Nandini's Day

5.2K 499 234
By a_cosmic_dust

Hello Fam :)

The longest I had ever written. ;)

Note - A point I want to clear here as there are many doubts regarding this. Manik isn't an introvert in this book. Manik is the way he is because he wasn't allowed to grow up like a normal child. He has been locked up in an all-boys school, away from his family. His interactions were limited to his school teachers, his classmates if they had the work and the butlers at his house. Cabir has always been in Mumbai until he left for his internship for a year. Feel free to ask any more questions, if any. :)

Happy Reading...

Nandini, in a desperate attempt to escape the morning drama at her home, rushed away before her college time. The meeting that was supposed to be held in the morning before classes got postponed due to the principal getting stuck in an emergency situation. The day before when she dropped Mukti home, she promised to pick her up for college since her mood was still down. But there was still time for that and she didn't want to dive into another drama after escaping one. The most important point was the weird noises coming from her stomach due to skipping her meals since the previous night.

Finally making a decision, she informed Abhimanyu through a text about joining for breakfast. Seriously, half of the Murthy properties were on her name. She shouldn't be starving herself for some irrelevant people just because they flaunt like they own her life.

XXX

Ishita Thakkar was a good cook but when you had to take most of your meals amidst the hate of Murthy house, Ishita Thakkar was a great cook. Hence, Nandini rejoiced every time she could eat in the Thakkar home. After her grandfather, Thakkar's were the only ones who would come close to family for her.

"Ishu, I would grovel your feet every day, if I get to eat such amazing food", she said, complimenting the only woman she considered as a mother figure in her life and winked at her when she slapped her head, playfully. She was having her breakfast along with Abhimanyu as Ishita waited for her husband, who stayed the night at the office due to some pending work, when Raman came home, exhausted but the smile intact.

"Are you guys off to college?", he asked them.

"Sadly yes", answered Nandini, "but we have the brightest point of the day, the food."

Raman shook his head, amused, but schooled his features when he saw Abhimanyu stuffing the food in his mouth. "Abhi, meet me in the study after your breakfast", he told and turned to Nandini, "I hope I have a few minutes."

Nandini gave him a thumbs up because Abhimanyu had his mouth wide open and the food halfway to reach it. As soon as his dad left the room, he turned to Ishita, grabbing her hand. "Mom, I swear I didn't do anything. Help me."

Ishita shook her head. "You know he doesn't like it when someone interrupts his 'study time'. Why don't you finish this meeting and I will bake your favorite chocolate cake by the time you return from your college?"

He pouted. "That comes with a clause. If I return alive from his study room. Anyways, I guess a chocolate cake is a good way to farewell my life."

"Best friend, Nandini Murthy will accompany you in your last walk to death", interrupted Nandini. She saw a protest from Ishita and grinned at her. "I might save my best friend from the evil clutches of death", she said with a wink making the older woman chuckled.

Abhimanyu wiped a fake tear and wrapped an arm around her neck. "The best friend I could ever ask."

XXX

Raman rubbing his forehead with his eyes closed when Nandini went to his study room. He had loosened his tie, folded the cuffs of his shirt and his whole posture gave away the fact that he wanted nothing but to crash on the bed. If he wanted to talk to Abhimanyu at this time, it must be important. She glanced at her best friend before knocking at the door and smiled so widely that it brought an instant smile on the elder Thakkar when he opened his eyes.

"May I come in, Mr. Thakkar?", she asked with a grin, already half inside the room.

"Do I have the courage to stop the Murthy heir? Not a chance", he replied.

Nandini threw a smirk at Abhimanyu and raised an invisible collar as she took a seat in front of Raman. "I wouldn't take much time of yours. Bunking two days in a row isn't advisable. So, let me come straight to the point", he told them. There was a moment's hesitation before he asked, "Abhimanyu, how sure are you about Mukti's parents not caring about her?"

"Not 100 percent. I don't know how bad the situation is when there's no one at home but when we are there, they feel normal to us even though half of the time her father doesn't hide the fact that he would rather bury me six feet under the ground", he said.

Nandini snorted, earning the attention of Raman.

"Do you want to add something?", he asked.

"I don't want to be rude by quashing her issues with her parents but they are just fine as far as Mukti is concerned. Of course, he stares at Abhimanyu like he is trying to turn him into ashes through concentration but he is dating their daughter. So, who wouldn't? He is fine with me and Abhi too until they were just friends when we used to visit their house during school", she explained and Abhimanyu nodded in agreement.

Raman raised an eyebrow. "Why don't you tell her that? Mukti clearly hates her parents."

Nandini sighed. "Because I don't trust them. I don't trust anyone who signs deals with my parents. I guess it's the same with Mukti and the reason behind why she doesn't let them come close to her. True there are other issues between them but a part of her might be waiting for them to turn like my parents so that she could hate them passionately without holding herself back. They aren't giving the chance which is creating some kind of tension between them."

Abhimanyu poked her arm. "Are you spending too much time with Manik? When did you do this whole research?"

Nandini passed a glare in his direction while Raman chuckled. "Why are you asking this?", she asked.

"I got a call yesterday early in the morning and later in the night", he told, "from Mr. Vardhan. He was panicked in the morning when his daughter didn't return home the whole night. Later, when Mukti returned home, he called to thank us for looking after her at an unconventional time."

"Dad, he is aware of our relationship and he reminds me of it every time we meet. There's always a threat in his voice that's exclusively reserved for me while he tones down when talking to Nandini but never did I feel insulted in his presence as opposing to Nandini's parents. Besides accusing me of having an affair with their daughter, they not only demean her character but also make us feel mentally violated", he said.

Nandini squeezed his arm, who patted on her hand in return. She promised not to force him to her house again, if possible. She wanted to graduate as soon as possible, take over her company and move out of her parents' house. That's the plan.

"I don't want Mukti to lose her family due to some misunderstanding or Mr. Vardhan's inability to express his love for her. Why don't you try to clear this and give her family back to her?", suggested Raman.

"And give her a solid reason to break up with me. Sorry, dad, not happening", told Abhimanyu, horrified.

Raman let out a sigh. "Then I will talk to Mr. Vardhan."

"About what?", asked Abhimanyu.

"Just to make some assurances about his daughter's safety with my son", he said.

Nandini smirked when Abhimanyu blushed under his father's stare.

Raman chuckled. "Abhi, Mukti is as much of my kid as Nandini or you are. Her happiness is our responsibility."

"I wouldn't stop you from doing whatever you want but remember, her decisions about loving or hating a person are always in haste. Don't let her lose the only family she has."

"I guess I know how precious daughters are", told Raman, looking at Nandini as she went silent after his comment about Nandini being his kid.

The Thakkars house was the free token of love and pampering for both the girls since childhood but she didn't know they considered them as their kids on par with Abhimanyu. She shook her head and grinned at Raman. Abhimanyu shoved her playfully before excusing him for college and a promise to talk to Mukti.

When Nandini gave a hug to Raman while leaving the room, he patted her head and told she would always be a daughter of the Thakkar family, she smiled. Her day just got brighter. It's time to meet a superman now.

XXX

They picked Mukti up before going to college and drove Abhimnayu crazy by singing tuneless songs, varying voices. They parked the car and entered the college when they found the Malhotra brothers arriving. Cabir was telling something funny, making the elder twin laugh but then again Manik would appreciate if his brother as much as breaths. Nandini rolled her eyes. With Cabir as a brother, she didn't know how Manik remained sane all these years. Probably because they didn't grow up together, supplied her brain and she smirked.

When Manik saw them, he rushed towards the trio. "Mukti, how are you?", he asked without as much as a glance at others.

Nandini wrapped her hand around Mukti while grinning at Manik. "Oy, hero. Even we were absent yesterday. Wouldn't you want to know how we are?", she teased. The frown that appeared on being interrupted was adorable.

"Hi, Nandini. How are you?", he asked.

"Hi, Manik. I am fine", she replied.

"Glad", he said, and did the boy know what sarcasm was? A soft smile appeared on his face when he saw Mukti chuckling at them. "I hope you are fine."

"I am fine, Manik", she told. "Thank you for the other day. I don't know what would have happened otherwise."

"You said we were friends", said Manik.

Cabir, who joined Manik, sometime back. "And there shouldn't be any formality between friends", he said, flashing his teeth. Contrasting to his entire flashy demeanor, Nandini noticed, his hands were gentle around Manik as he rubbed his thumb at the nape of his brother's neck. If she didn't know better, she would have thought them as some supernatural creatures.

That's when Nandini saw Manik properly. His ears had turned red as he stared at the ground and Nandini couldn't take her eyes off him. It was the first she saw a boy blushing, Abhimanyu doesn't count because he is a goofball, and half of his actions don't have logic. She glanced at Cabir and saw him talking to Mukti, his hand now at his side. Maybe it was for his brother's comfort, given how awkward the elder Malhotra boy could become.

Seeing as no one had direct attention on him, Nandini dragged Manik aside away from the group.

"I didn't do anything, I swear. I am even apologizing if I had done without my conscious knowledge", protested Manik, panic clear in his voice.

Nandini crossed her arms and stared at him. "What are you apologizing for if you haven't done anything?", she asked.

"Because I get scared when you do things like this. You are scary", he complained.

"I am scary and you are happily accusing me of being scary to me? How logical? You are alive so, I guess I am not that scary", she told.

Manik nodded. "True. It's not logical. It's a fact, I feel scared in your presence but that isn't your fault", he muttered, probably working out some equations proving his argument. "Anyways, apologizes for false accusations."

She rolled her eyes and was one sentence short in facepalming herself. This boy was weird like that. He made her feel like she had to protect him while simultaneously bang her head on some hard surface. "Listen, never say sorry to someone when you haven't done anything wrong."

"It's an instinct", he defended himself but when Nandini glared at him, he sighed. "Fine. I will try but why did you drag me here?"

She rolled her eyes, now at his subtle trick to change the topic. He was smart. She smiled when she remembered the reason for pulling him out of the group. "Thank you. Thank you for saving Mukti. Thank you for keeping her safe and thank you for just being there at the right time."

He shrugged as if it weren't a big deal, the red starting to creep near his ears. It must have something to do with the compliments. "It was just a coincidence. Navya had called me, so I was talking to her."

"Navya? Do you roam on the streets, late in the night, talking to girls?", she teased and waited for the redness to increase and she wasn't wrong. He was blushing again. She decided to make him blush more. It was fun and rare because since when did teenagers start looking adorable? The boys at her age were annoying, arrogant, and mean.

"No", he said, "she is Cabir's girlfriend."

What? She raised an eyebrow in question. "I didn't know Cabir really has a girlfriend."

Manik smiled after giving a glance at his brother. "She lives in France. He introduced us through Skype."

"What an ideal brother", she muttered.

The protest on Manik's voice dropped when Cabir suddenly jogged towards them, Abhimanyu and Mukti walking behind him. He glared at Nandini. "What are you doing kidnapping my brother?"

Nandini ignored him and turned to her friends. "Guys, I have a meeting to attend with the committee. See you later then."

She got a nod from both her best friends but it was Cabir who interrupted her. "Do you have these meetings on a regular basis?", he asked.

When Nandini continued to ignore him, Abhimanyu chuckled at the two. "Yes, but they have increased because we have the golden Jubilee anniversary this weekend."

Cabir clapped his hands in excitement. "Perfect", he said and turned to Manik, and did he just batted his eyelashes? "Bhai, I want to contest for the head boy", he announced.

Nandini threw her hands in exasperation as she thought that was her cue to leave for the meeting. She hasn't signed up to entertain kids with only half brain cells while standing up as a head girl. 

"Kid, shut up, and attend your classes." She heard Manik saying to his brother. These two were crazy.

XXX

It was after lunch when they were surprised to find the change in the venue of their classroom. Manik was off somewhere so the trio decided to go to the seminar hall. Manik would reach the classroom on time. As expected, he was there laughing at something Cabir was saying. Cabir?

She looked at Abhimanyu and Mukti, who both shrugged having no idea, and stalked off to the place where they were sitting. "What the hell are you doing in my class?", she asked Cabir and the boy smirked.

"You know, yesterday, even my Bhai uttered exactly the same words", he told. "What a coincidence."

She rolled her eyes. "You didn't answer my question."

He opened his mouth to definitely say something other than the answer when Manik slapped his hand lightly. "Cabir talked to the professor to merge our classrooms", replied the elder twin.

"Why?", asked Nandini.

"Because he was getting tired of teaching the same lessons to both the classes", explained the younger twin and he pouted at Manik. "Bhai, you forgot to flaunt my management skills."

Manik rolled her eyes. "Baby, I told you, I refuse to believe you have any management skills."

Mukti shook her head, amused. "And Cabir, even a blind person can see that you don't give a damn about the professor", she told him and took a seat beside him.

Abhimanyu followed. "You did all this for your Bhai?", he asked, awestruck. "I wish I had a brother like you."

The boy flashed a grin before shaking Manik's arm. "Bhai, did you listen? People are taking me as a role model."

"Shut up", interrupted Nandini. "I didn't come to class one day. Just one day and you have erased the difference between 1st and 2nd year. What would I get to see if I skip college another day? You as the principal of our college."

Cabir huffed and crossed his arms. "I know, you love my immense talent but I am not over-ambitious. I was taught to work hard."

Manik snorted. Nandini faked a smile. "Yeah, yeah. The Oxford people are changing the synonym of hard work as Cabir", she said, sarcastically.

They were so busy in the banter that they didn't notice the professor had arrived in the room. "Nandini Murthy, what's going on there? Take your seat."

"Sir, he is arguing with me", she complained without thinking.

The professor was startled. "Who? Cabir? He is the best student in this class, Ms. Murthy. Stop playing pranks on your professors at least."

Nandini gaped at the professor and Cabir. The boy was smirking again and she wanted to slap that off his face. In order to not create an issue, she slumped down in her nearest chair which was beside Manik. "Your brother just fooled the professor", she whispered.

"I know", Manik whispered back, his voice more tired than disbelief. Guess, it was a regular thing for him.

"Thank God, I don't have a brother like him", she muttered, loud enough to let the younger Malhotra listen and when he tried to protest, Manik nudged him with his elbow, asking him to concentrate on the class. It was Nandini's turn to smirk.

XXX

Since they came together to college in the morning, Nandini gave her car keys to Abhimanyu. "Why don't you take her around and try talking about what Uncle said in the morning?", she told him while Mukti was talking to Manik. The girl wasn't in her best of days but as she stared at her best friend, she knew, something had changed between her and Manik. They all cared about the boy but probably this incident was the reason why he was added to the best friends group in Whatsapp. Her instincts told, unlike the rest of their school friends, he would be a part of their lives for a very long time.

"You are throwing me to wolves. You know right, this would backfire. I didn't think you would agree with dad", he whined.

Nandini bit her lip. "I don't want her to lose the chance to get her family back." She hated being vulnerable even if they were her friends and Abhimanyu must have noticed too because he wrapped his hands around her, taking her in a bear hug.

Mukti joined them, completing the group hug. When they broke the hug, Nandini saw Manik standing at the side, awkward and out of place until Abhimanyu slung an arm around his neck.

"There's an unwritten rule among us. Whenever two of us hug each other, if there's a third one present, we join them. Group hugs are the best. Since you have become our best friend, we want you to feel free to join too", explained Abhimanyu.

"I am your best friend?", asked Manik, confused.

This was the boy who didn't have any friends for years, Nandini reminded herself.

"Who wouldn't want you as their best friend, Manik?", asked Mukti with a frown.

Manik shrugged.

"You have been added to our best friends forever Whatsapp group, Manik. How can you not know?", whined Abhimanyu.

"I am not regular on social media", muttered Manik, staring at his shoes.

The continuous disagreements were making him nervous as his voice went quieter with every answer. Nandini frowned and glared at the two before tugging at the sleeve of Manik's shirt. "Listen, none of this matters, okay? All you have to remember is we are friends now and you are a good person. If someone isn't trying to be your friend, it's their fault and never yours", she told him and damned the blush that started creeping on his face. Making sure he was fine, she turned to Mukti.

"Hey, why don't you two take my car and go home? I have work to do in college", told Nandini.

"We can wait", protested Mukti and when Nandini disagreed, she turned towards Manik. "How will you go back? Manik, could you drop us instead?"

"I really apologize for denying. I have to wait for Cabir and he has some extra class", he said. "It might take some time."

He looked so genuinely sad that Nandini felt guilty of lying. She pouted. "I don't know how much time it would take for me. Go ahead. Manik could drop me home", she told. She mentally thanked the boy when he didn't raise a question.

As Abhimanyu too agreed with Nandini, Mukti had to leave. While going back, when Abhimanyu mouthed a 'sorry', Nandini winked at him.

"Where do you have to do your work?", asked Manik, when they were alone.

Nandini shook her head. "Abhimanyu had to discuss something important with Mukti. Hence, I lied to them. I am booking a cab. Don't worry", she said.

"You lied to your best friends?", asked Manik, frowning.

She chuckled. "Manik, Mukti would feel uncomfortable in my presence. It would be better if they discuss that alone. I am indirectly saving her the discomfort. Haven't you ever lied to anyone?", she asked.

She controlled her laughter as he recollected the number of times he lied, probably about reading a book under his blanket during the night. There was an interruption. Of course, there was always an interruption to good times and good moods. This time, it came in the form of Alya Saxena. Nandini wondered how does this girl get away from bunking so many classes at a stretch. The head boy must have to do something with it.

She stalked and clung to Manik, making the boy stiffen at his place. "Manik, I missed you so much."

Nandini snorted. "He missed you too", she interrupted, pulling Manik out of her hold and beside her.

Alya passed a death glare towards her before completely ignoring her presence and smiled at Manik sweetly. "Baby, what are your plans? I heard your brother has an extra class."

"Yeah, you can wait for him", told Nandini, and she ignored her again.

"Why don't you drop me home? It's so long since we had last spent time with each other", she said.

It was such an innocent request that Nandini felt angry at her for making it horrific for Manik. She glanced at the boy, saw him trembling slightly. She gave a soft pat to his back and let her hand rest there for a few extra moments without making it obvious. Hopefully, it would help him come out of his bubble. "But Manik promised to drop me home", she told with a pout.

"Nandini Murthy, I am not talking to you", said Alya, gritting her teeth.

This is where the fun begins, she thought. "I love talking to you, baby", she told.

"Shut up", screamed the girl. "Manik, why aren't you saying anything?"

"Because", started Nandini but she was startled when Manik interrupted her.

"Nandini, wait", he told before turning to the Saxena girl.

Scratch everything. This is real drama. Nandini crossed her arms and waited for him to speak up finally because he was trembling again. She wasn't sure if it was due to fear.

"Alya, I am not interested in spending time with you. Neither at your place nor at my home. I have tried to tell you this so many times but when you latch on to me, you block my vocal cords somehow. It's difficult to carry on healthy arguments this way. I know your act of behaving sweet and mom knows about it too. She increased security and you aren't allowed to come to our home. Please don't strain yourself by thinking of ways to manipulate my mother again", he said.

If she could, Nandini would have clapped her hands in appreciation but Alya was fuming and she didn't want to push Manik too far from his comfort zone.

Alya glared at her. "I know who is the person behind those words. You will hear about this from my parents, Malhotra." She stomped her foot like a petulant child and left the place.

"Not bad, Malhotra", said Nandini, "two heroic acts in three days. You are coming around rather well.".

"Nandini"

She heard his faint tone and tore her eyes to the boy. He was having some sort of a panic attack and she started rubbing his back, quickly. "Manik, breath. Long breaths. Look at me", she told when he continued to stare at the direction Alya left.

She didn't stop even after his breathing got under control because his eyes gave her away. As he stared into her eyes, she saw the fear in them. "Manik, I am proud of you", she whispered.

"You shouldn't. Those are my words. What if she blames you or Cabir to mom? It's all my fault. I shouldn't have read the thriller that day. It's making me paranoid about everything and everyone", he told.

Nandini shook her head. "That book isn't responsible. Your mom is smarter than listening to some college going kid especially when she already knows about her. Everything has a saturation point after which you lose control. It's human. Feeling better?", she asked.

"No", he replied.

She rolled her eyes. "Come with me." She knew a perfect place to distract him. She briefly wondered if the book really made him paranoid and if it did, why isn't he afraid of her because he followed her without a question. She mentally groaned. Books, of course, won't define one's behavior, however much the boy might claim.

XXX

"What place is this?", asked Manik, inspecting the place with curious eyes.

They were on the east side of their college. Behind the Arts block, there was a grove of wild trees. If they went past that area, one could find a tiny abandoned cabin but no student knew about the piece of ground belonging to the college administration except Nandini. She accidentally stumbled through the papers, one day in her first year, and decided to explore. Of course, her best friends knew the place but rarely visited it. As far as Nandini was concerned, it was a place where she escaped when the college became too much for her. The green gave her the peace and calmed her nerves, the reason why she chose to bring Manik here.

"My secret place to peace during college hours", she told. She sat down and waited for him to do the same. She half expected him to complain about the dust and hygiene but when he sat leaning at the opposite wall from hers, she smiled. It was probably because he still had Alya in his mind but she felt happy when he accepted the place she loved, the first personal information she shared with him. "Don't bottle up. I am listening if you want to but you have to let the incident out of your head." She knew everything about keeping the hurt inside her head and suffering. She didn't want anyone to go through it and especially Manik.

"You said you are proud of me", he asked, uncertain, and continued after she agreed. "But I had hurt someone and that shouldn't be something you should be proud about."

"Yeah, but I am proud of the way you stood for yourself and answered what was on your mind. That she causes you discomfort. Standing for yourself is something to be proud about", explained Nandini. "Manik, always remember, if someone or something makes you uncomfortable, you say no and stay away from it."

"That's what Cabir says", he muttered to himself and Nandini let that slide. Prying his inner thoughts aren't her business. "Don't you want to go home?", he asked her.

"I will wait with you", she told him.

"No, it's okay. I am fine. Thanks to you", he protested.

"Relax, hero. I can complete some of my work here", she said and took out a stack of papers out of her bag. She saw him taking a book out as he started reading it. Anything to distract his mind.

They worked in peace for an hour more without realizing the time when Cabir came running to them. How the hell did he know this place?, thought Nandini. He was panting and stopped once he saw Manik, to catch his breath. Instead of talking to his brother, he glared at her.

"What are you doing with my brother taking him to these abandoned places?", he screamed on top of his lungs, and Manik was beside him in an instant.

"Cabir, she saved me from Alya", told Manik.

The younger Malhotra turned to Manik. "Alya? Again?", he said and cupped Manik's face. "Manik, are you okay?"

God. This kid is such a bipolar. "Cabir, he finally has learned to stand for himself and you should be proud of him." The embarrassed smile Manik gave her would have been cute if she wasn't concentrating on not going to jail by murdering his brother. "How did you even know this place?"

"I have my location connected to Manik's", told Cabir as he wrapped an arm around his brother's neck, probably doing his supernatural thing again.

Of course, he would have their locations connected. If given a chance, the younger twin would glue himself to his brother. "Brilliant. Manik, now that Cabir is here, I will leave for my house." She waved at Manik and left. She has nothing to do with the Jungli Malhotra.

XXX

Nandini was searching for the cabs but it was getting canceled. She cursed the timing. The last thing she wanted to do was to call her driver to pick her up and have another questionnaire from her parents. She didn't know how most disloyal people got the most loyal staff. Of course, their loyalties were limited to her parents alone and they were always against her. She didn't notice the presence of the person she was ignoring.

"Earth to Nandini", called Cabir. "I am sorry, my brother didn't offer you a ride. He doesn't know the chivalry."

"And you do?", she asked, raising an eyebrow. "Your brother is far better than you. He has a brain that he uses."

Cabir held his ear. "I am sorry for screaming at you. I couldn't reach him on call and the location got me scared", he told.

"When will you stop treating him like a glass doll?", she asked.

He sighed. "It takes time. I am sorry but I am trying. Give me some time. You can't expect me to just leave everything upon him after caring for him all my life."

She groaned. "I am not asking you to stop caring for him", she said but didn't explain further. Talking to him was an energy-draining process. She really was inclined towards the theory that the Jungli Malhotra was a supernatural creature who survives by sucking energy from other people. "What would you take for leaving me in peace?", she asked, rubbing her head.

The grin he flashed at her was definitely supernatural. "Let me drop you home, please?"

Nandini nodded before walking to the car which was parked a few steps away from them. Manik was in the front, reading a book and when he saw her inside the car, he grinned. Nandini returned the smile and took out her papers again after informing Cabir about her address.

XXX

When they reached her place, she bid a bye to Manik and got down. Cabir followed. "Thanks for the ride", she said.

"We are friends, Nandini", he smirked before sighing. "Thanks for saving him. He is the only one I have besides my mom and I guess, there would always be a part of me that would never stop loving him."

"I never want you to stop loving him, Cabir. He already has only limited valuables in his life, I don't want him to lose you too. The way he loves you, it would break him."

"I will try my best to get him out of his shell", he told.

"That would be enough", she said. Nandini wanted to help him too but vocalizing it would solidify a bond she didn't know she could take the responsibility upon. She didn't have to publicize her actions.

XXX

It wasn't too surprising that Nandini's awesome day would come to an end as soon as she stepped inside Murthy premises. Her parents were sitting in the living room and Mr. Murthy started clapping her hands as soon as she entered the house. The drama she would rather avoid.

"What a pleasure to find my daughter before sunset", said her father.

Nandini rolled her eyes. "I want to say the same, father but I guess I am not that lucky." She tried to leave but her mother shooted daggers at her.

"Nandini Murthy, don't leave while your father is talking to you. At least show some respect to your parents", she scolded.

Nandini turned around and crossed her arms. "I am not capable of showing fake emotions, mother. Alas! What a pity. I should have inherited some from you", she said. Their regular house drama wasn't any short of a TV soap opera.

"Nandini", interrupted her father, shooting daggers at her, "stop being a brat. We have allowed you to be friends with the Thakkar boy but he isn't enough for you, is it? You have to cause us only pain by bringing some more to home", he asked.

They must have seen Cabir. Nandini gave him a sweet smile. "Inheriting your father's properties and becoming a millionaire overnight doesn't exactly term us pain, father. The only pain you went through is to manipulate my grandfather's will to spoon feed you comfortably. Why do you even talk about things you don't understand?" She showed her palm when he tried to argue. "Coming to Abhimanyu, since when did I start taking your permissions to choose my friends? I don't need your approval of them and the people I hang out with is none of your goddamn business."

She turned to leave but stopped and smirked at her father. "Actually, you know what? It should be your business. The guys who dropped me home are the Malhotras. Did it hurt your ego that your brat of a daughter is friends with people wealthier than you? Goodnight, my lovely parents."

She was satisfied with their shocked faces and left for her room. If she had stayed for a few more minutes, she would have witnessed their shock turning into evil smirks. Nandini didn't know the information she provided recklessly could change her whole life. 

As promised, Manan. Is it enough now? :P 

More to be followed. This is a point, where the story will shift to Manik and Nandini and sometimes Cabir completely. Expect more Manan and yeah something major is going to happen in Manik's life (and Nandini's too) within the next 5 chapters. Guess, what? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.5K 4K 44
"𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝑐𝑎𝑛𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑟𝑒𝑚𝑎𝑖𝑛 𝑎𝑡 𝑡𝘩𝑒 𝑡𝑜𝑝 𝑤𝑖𝑡𝘩 𝑚𝑒 𝑖𝑛 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑒𝑡𝑖𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛." "𝐼 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑒𝑡𝑒 𝑤𝑖𝑡𝘩 𝑓𝑎𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑦."...
34.1K 481 19
What if she was consumed by darkness? Can anyone make her see the light?
30K 3K 71
"I'm sorry, I can't marry with you, you gave me time, to say yes, & I said yes to you, that time I didn't know, I'll call off our marriage.." He take...
4.4K 134 7
Y/N, typical boy in the 90's. Well, not really typical. His parents died when he was a kid. Y/N does have a little brother, after their parents died...