Riding With the Elves // Lego...

By Mimi_Lind

With a secret mission to marry an elf, Wynne must join Legolas' and Elvenking Thranduil's new quest as a hors... More

Introduction
1. An Unpleasant Assignment
2. Meeting the Elvenking
3. Choosing Horses
4. Showing Skin
5. The Brown Lands
6. Fighting Orcs
7. Drinking with Elves
8. Hard to Sleep
9. One of the Team
10. Braided by an Elf
11. Tracking Warg Riders
12. In Captivity
13. Five Hunters
14. Elves to the Aid
15. Finding a Map
16. Drinking with Elves (again)
17. Hopes Crushed
18. Daydreaming in Emyn Muil
19. Mysterious Footprints
20. Tiny Orcs
21. To Kill or Not to Kill
23. Watching Topless Elves
24. It Always Rains on Camping Trips
25. An Uruk-hai's Childhood
26. New Babysitter
27. Fighting a Troll
28. Finding a Healer
29. Orc Medicine
30. Tripping on Poppy
31. Apologies and Explanations
32. A Tempting Suggestion
33. A Secret Relationship
34. Perhaps Not So Secret After All
35. Dirty Thoughts
36. Orc Farming
37. Puppy Love
38. The Ballad of the Ring
39. Knowing One's Heart
40. Riddles and Lakes
41. Fighting a Lake Monster
42. The Tale of the Fellowship
43. Sightseeing at the Anduin
44. The Living Marshes
45. Osgiliath Rebuilt
46. Meeting an Old Friend
47. Meeting a Lady Dwarf
48. Cheering Up an Elf
49. Preparing For a Party
50. A Furious Elvenking
51. Love and Desire
52. To the White City
53. An Unexpected Meeting
54. Mother Knows Best
55. Thruths Revealed
56. Pride and Vanity
57. An Unfair Ultimatum
58. Battle of the Titans
59. Plans Undone
60. Writing a Letter
61. A Fond Farewell
62. Home to Greenwood
63. Home to Rohan
64. An Elvish Wedding
65. A Visit From Adar-in-law
Epilogue

22. Elvish Pedicure

919 62 30
By Mimi_Lind

~ Wynne learns about Saruman's atrocities and later sees Thranduil in a new situation. ~

22. Elvish Pedicure

Sidra's face had clouded considerably, but in a melancholy way rather than angry. "Saruman did much evil," she said, her voice heavy with sadness.

"I know I promised myself I wouldn't kill again, but if I ever meet that load of excrement I will cut his throat." Nugu seemed to have forgotten Wynne was there.

"No you won't." She laid her hand on his bound wrists, rubbing them soothingly.

"Probably not." He grimaced. "I'd certainly feel tempted, though. The tree people were much too soft on him."

"Papa. Thtone." A tiny, gray hand held a pebble under the uruk-hai's nose.

"Thank you Muzadi." Nugu tried to ruffle the boy's hair with tied-up hands.

Wynne tactfully moved away, giving them some privacy. She was shocked by what she had learned about the origin of uruk-hai.

Legolas came over to her, features unusually morose. "I overheard your conversation. Horrendous. If Gandalf had known this I am sure he would have treated that fell wizard much harsher."

"What happened to Saruman?"

"You remember the ents? The tree-herders I spoke of some time ago." When Wynne nodded, he told how the ents defeated Saruman by flooding the entire vale of Isengard. The water had poured down into the myriad of caves underneath the wizard's tower, effectively drowning all the orcs and uruk-hai he had kept there.

Saruman and his associate Gríma were left to themselves in the locked tower, but after a few months the ent in charge had released them. Gandalf came across the pair some time later but he also took pity on them and let them run.

They had died eventually, or so Legolas had heard; the servant killed his master and was then shot by an army of hobbits, but not before they had wrecked much havoc in the hobbits' homeland.

"The ents and Gandalf ought to have examined the caves below Isengard after they dried out," Legolas continued. "If he kept women slaves their remains would have been found and buried properly."

Wynne began to tremble, overcome by that same bizarre fright that had made her sleepless for so many nights after her own kidnapping. There was nothing dangerous here now yet her body seemed to believe so.

"Forgive me, I should have realized–" He put his arm tightly around her shoulder.

"No it's alright, I just... sometimes I just think of what could... if the orcs that time–" She broke off and swallowed thickly.

"I know."

It was comforting to have Legolas so close; Wynne often felt he was the only one who truly understood her.

But too soon Thranduil looked their way and he hastily let his arm drop.

oOo

They stayed a few hours by the water hole, making good use of it. After refilling the waterskins they took turns dipping themselves in the chilly pool, which was only big enough for two at once.

Thranduil went in with Wynne. "Keep talking with the captives like you did before. Make them open up and reveal the truth about themselves." He rubbed soap and an aromatic oil into his hair and leaned back, allowing the water to cleanse it. The golden strands fanned out behind him in a huge halo.

"Sure," she replied, leaning back like him. She had begun to use the elves' hair oil as well, and it did wonders for her obnoxious curls.

As usual water leaked into her ears and she wondered if that ever happened to Thranduil. Probably he was above such human hassles.

"I imagine it is easier for someone like you to gain their confidence," he continued. "There is a deep-rooted mistrust between orcs and my kind. And I have noticed many humans have a hard time warming up to me also."

"I can't think of why," Wynne deadpanned.

The sarcasm was lost on the elf. "Neither can I."

He went ashore, starting to dry his hair on a linen cloth. With smug satisfaction Wynne noticed he shook his head down a few times. Then he had gotten water in his ear.

She dived to the bottom of the pool where the water was even colder than above. It stung her face almost painfully, but when she popped to the surface again she felt refreshed.

Beside the pool Thranduil was cutting his toenails with a small knife. Despite their months of traveling together this was the first time Wynne had ever seen an elf attend to his personal hygiene, except for bathing. Since they didn't need to shave she had not believed their nails didn't grow either.

Seeing him now in his wet undershirt and with a pale foot in his lap, face screwed up in concentration as he worked, nearly made her burst out laughing. That everyday situation just didn't fit with her image of the prod Elvenking at all.

oOo

After the bath Wynne walked in the heather. She could understand why the uruk-hai couple had chosen this place to live; it was simply delightful. She picked a few branches of heather for a keepsake even though she knew they would wilter.

Before leaving they shared a simple meal of dried meat, Rohan cheese (made of horse milk) and hardtack. Sidra had offered them the use of Nugu's and her supplies, now brought from the cave where they had lived, but Thranduil rejected the offer – possibly suspecting the food was poisoned or something.

While Sidra nursed her youngest, the older boy was to be fed a thick gruel, and since his father was still constrained Galion volunteered to do it. He proved to be one of those naturals with children; in no time he had the orcling on his lap, giggling and toying with the strings of his tunic as his little mouth opened wide to let him swallow mouthful after mouthful of gruel like a hungry chick.

Wynne watched, a bit fascinated but not at all jealous. Had she tried to feed the little one he would likely have run away, or wailed, or thrown the gruel bowl in her face. Possibly all three.

"Orc babies are rather adorable, are they not?" Galion asked and smiled at Wynne.

"Technically they are only one quarter of an orc," Legolas objected, trying to defend his bow from a sticky little hand. He seemed to share Wynne's uneasiness around children.

"Aww, would you just look at those cute baby fangs," Galion cooed.

The boy's father let out a low chuckle at that but when everybody surprisedly looked his way he immediately resumed his sullen scowl.

In a way he reminded Wynne of Thranduil. They certainly had their pride in common.

After the meal they set off, letting the captives lead the way. Only Sidra was used to riding; poor Nugu gripped the horse's mane so hard his knuckles whitened. The youngest orcling rose in front of its mother and Galion took care of the other, seeing as the uruk-hai was busy enough just trying not to fall off.

Wynne let Vatna fall in step with Sidra's gelding, trying to act friendly like Thranduil had asked her to. She tried to think of something to talk about but all she could think of was the horrible destiny of the woman's mother, and that seemed way too dreary.

Thankfully Sidra broke the silence. "Who are these elves? That one is the leader, I can tell." She nodded in Thranduil's direction.

"They ought to have introduced themselves, but I guess they had other things on their mind when we met you."

"I can see how half-orc babies might surprise someone who had never seen one before," Sidra agreed.

They both grinned.

"That one is King Thranduil of Greenwood. He is indeed the leader of our team. And riding the chestnut there is his son, Prince Legolas."

"Royalty." Sidra whistled. "Of all the people who could have discovered us we had the misfortune to be caught by a king. No wonder he seems so distrustful."

"The last three are warriors in the Greenwood elven guard. Galion's the one with your boy, and the brothers there are Nodir and Bronedir."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance." Galion bowed politely, placing a hand on his chest.

"The pleasure is all mine." The woman repeated the gesture.

Wynne had to hide a laugh at the comical in the situation. The woman was a prisoner and Galion one of her captors, and here they acted like they were on a social visit. But she was glad they seemed to get along so well. They really had to, if the woman wanted her family to survive.

It struck Wynne that this was the second time today she had felt like laughing and not once had she escaped into her daydream. Maybe it was the lovely heather meadow, or Legolas' smile, or just the fact that there was a fellow woman in the company now – but somehow she was beginning to feel happier.

A/N:

I dunno why, but I loved writing the part where Thranduil is bathing. :D

Image Credits:

Internet Movie Database. Source: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120737/mediaviewer/rm2156820992?ft0=name&fv0=nm0000489&ft1=image_type&fv1=still_frame

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

478K 25.8K 52
[A Wattpad FEATURED story!] She's been King Thranduil's close friend for a long time. But when a shocking rumor about his past comes to light, it sha...
23.8K 672 17
A story collection featuring Aragorn, Legolas, Thranduil, and Boromir so far. There will be lots of hurt/comfort, sweet romance, humor and a pinch of...
283K 11.4K 36
Storm Of Arrows ➝ Lord of the Rings [Legolas] ✓ 2014 Hunting Spiders in the forest of Mirkwood, Legolas, Prince of the Woodland Realm, comes across...
64.7K 3.2K 53
Legolas/OC Romance/Adventure. Even after the Ring's destruction, evil still lurks in Middle Earth. Legolas uncovers an ancient threat, one that could...