Lifeline

By ndallejoy

She clung to people. He ran from people. She was broken. He thought he could mend her. She lost a baby. ... More

Chapter 1; Stalker Ex
Chapter 2; It's Not a Date.
Chapter 3; Emily.
Chapter 4; My Hope.
Chapter 5; Thank you.
Chapter 6; Good night.
Chapter 7; Coffee Thingy.
Chapter 8; Friends.
Author's Note
Chapter 9; Meet the Chef.
Chapter 10; Meet Emily.
Chapter 11; It's Official.
Chapter 12; Dad!
Chapter 13; Idina Menzel.
Chapter 14; Loss.
Chapter 15; Lie.
Chapter 16; Daddy?
Chapter 17; Pure Bliss.
Chapter 18; Love at First Sight.
Chapter 19; Not Exactly.
Chapter 20; Diamonds, Bills and Parents.
Chapter 21; Secrets.
Chapter 22; Christmas Wishes.
Chapter 23; Time.
Chapter 24; Gone.
Chapter 25; Pain.
Chapter 26; Lifeline.
Chapter 27; Breakdown.
Chapter 28; Thanksgiving.
Chapter 29; Forgive me yet?
Chapter 31; Christmas Eve.
Chapter 32; For real this time...
Chapter 33; Afternoon After.
Chapter 34; New Year in LA.
Chapter 35; The Police.
Chapter 36; The Therapist (Part 1)
Chapter 37; Olivia.
Chapter 38; Emily's Birthday.
Chapter 39; Meet the CEO.
Chapter 40; The Fiancée, Engaged?
Chapter 41; The Therapist(Part 2); Find your Parents.
Chapter 42; The Russells.
Chapter 43; Los Angeles.
Chapter 44; Warren King.
Chapter 45; Ethan's POV.
Chapter 46; Not Goodbye.
Chapter 47; I'm sorry.
Chapter 48; Baby.
Chapter 49; Marry me Again.
Chapter 50; Deal.
Chapter 51; Epilogue.
Author's Note...😭

Chapter 30; I have a Girlfriend.

3.7K 225 12
By ndallejoy

"Sometimes, faith is all we need. Even when we aren't a hundred percent sure of the situation, believe it's going to work out for you..." by meeee

ETHAN'S POV.

I took out the peonies from the car and marched towards the open gate.

Sure, I didn't attend the full fledged funeral, but I had been here every day since that day.

Going to the funeral meant a ruckus and all I wanted was for Emily to rest in peace.

I came here at least four times a week, it really wasn't going to surprise me if I knew the way to her gravestone by heart.

Heck, I could probably make my way there with my eyes closed.

Passing by a familiar grave, the memory of a crying Kendra flashed through my mind.

The day she introduced me to Belinda.

I sighed and walk past her gravestone.

I had nothing against her, I just didn't know what to say.

I didn't even know where Kendra and I stood now, the only thing I knew was the path to where Emily rested.

Once I reached said destination, I shifted the old peonies to the corner and placed the new ones onto her stone.

I removed all the dried leaves around her and wiped away the dust which was beginning to accumulate on her stone.

I sat comfortably on the floor, at this point, I was already used to it.

"Hey sweetheart," I begun, my voice heavy and laced with an unknown emotion.

"I brought your favourite flowers again. I even doubled it this time because I have to apologise." I chuckled.

"Daddy will be leaving the country today. I won't be back until after the new year, so I won't see you for some time. God knows I'll miss you so much."

"My step mom has this stupid Christmas tradition which causes us to spend the holiday in Greece." I added before another memory invaded my mind.

"You know, mommy and I had planned to spend Christmas together this year." I smiled. "With you of course."

"I can still remember that day clearly. She was terribly mad at me for paying your hospital bill and I was really excited to show her your new room. I had personally decorated it and I wanted to see her happy. To see you happy..." I trailed off.

"You never got to see the room though. You would have loved it. You would have loved what I had planned for us this Christmas too, but neither of us got to see it." I paused "I'm sorry Emily."

"I didn't keep my word. I failed both you and your mommy."

"I'm gonna go now."

I stood up feeling lighter than when I came.

I was about to leave before I remembered something else.

"I'm sorry I couldn't grant your Christmas wish love, but I promise, I won't give up on your mommy." I gave her another soft smile and and left for my car.

***
It's been two weeks since I visited Emily and two weeks of hell living in Greece with my dad and my stepmom.

It couldn't get worse than living in one house with them for the holidays, I thought.

But boy was I wrong.

Today, the day before Christmas eve, my stepmom had to just go ahead and invite a friend because she didn't want me to be lonely.

Her so called friend was to arrive this morning, according to her announcement during last night's dinner.

So, you really couldn't blame me if I didn't want to get out of bed.

"Come on, Ethan. She'll be here any minute." My stepmom, Nancy, said as she pounded on my door.

I didn't answer so I could give her the impression that I was still asleep.

"For Christ's sake Ethan, I know you're not asleep. You're a morning person and it's already 8am."

She's good.

"It's a holiday Ethan. Drop that laptop and get your ass out by the time she gets here." I heard the padding of feet fading, meaning she left.

She was right though. I was currently going through my emails and working on some contracts that needed finishing touches.

Lost in my work, I was shocked when I glanced at the time to find an hour had passed.

I needed to get something to eat.

I would have stayed in my room and died of hunger if only I knew what I was walking into.

My dad and stepmom were already seated at the breakfast table including the so called friend.

"Son, oh good you're here. Come join us." My dad spoke hosting a mischievous glint in those similar silver orbs of his.

My father and I were exact replicas, only he was the older version of myself.

We were similar in everything and I loved him till the death but, his wife was the one thing we didn't agree on.

"Ethan meet Ava, Ava meet Ethan. I bumped into Ava at the mall the other day and she was so lovely I had to invite her over." Nancy beamed as I took my seat.

I was seated next to Ava opposite my father while Nancy was next to my father and opposite Ava.

"Nice to meet you Ava." I politely said.

"You too. I've heard a lot about you."

She had an accent. One I couldn't place.

I ignored them and went ahead to serve myself some breakfast.

"Ava here, is a lovely young woman. At only 25, she owns her own business." Nancy chimed in cheerfully.

This was one of her twisted plans again. I could smell it.

"Tell us about your business Ava, maybe my son here could help you. He's also into business." My dad spoke.

"It's really nothing much. I sell jewellery which I make myself. It's always been my passion and it's an added bonus that gold is relatively cheap in my country." She flicked her red hair as she spoke.

"Really? I noticed the accent. Where are you from dear?" My dad asked.

"From Denpasar. It's a small city in Bali, Indonesia."

"No wonder I couldn't place your accent. Bali is a beautiful place." He added.

"Thank you Sir."

"Please call me Francis. No need for that sir stuff..." he laughed.

"Sure Francis." She joined him.

"So, how long have you been in Greece Ava?" Nancy asked.

She chewed up the food in her mouth before answering. "Three years. I was fascinated with the style of jewelry the Greek goddesses wore." She smiled. A real genuine smile.

"That means you know your way around."

"Yeah, I could say so."

"Well good, maybe you could take Ethan on a tour. He's been indoors since he arrived Greece."

That caused all eyes to turn to me.

Thanks Nancy.

"Why? Greece is a beautiful place." The red head spoke.

"He's a stubborn one." My dad chimed in.

"If you're up for it, I'll gladly give you a tour." The red head said while placing her hand on my arm which rested on the table.

"Sure, and you guys could go on a date after that." Nancy added.

That is it!

"Enough Nancy. I have a girlfriend." I spoke up.

"An imaginary one." She shot back.

I heard Ava gasp, but I was too gone to realise I even stood up.

"Kendra is not imaginary. She is very real and so is my love for her."

She also stood up.

"Stop this nonsense Ethan. You didn't want any of the girls I prepared for you. You even refused Natasha. And all of a sudden you want me to believe you have a girlfriend? Why haven't I heard anything? Or seen anything? Or better yet introduce her to your father!" She shouted.

"You have no right to interfere in my life." I spoke through gritted teeth.

"Well I wouldn't have to, if you grew up and stopped causing your father to worry about you. We can't even go on a fucking honeymoon because he's worried for you." She seethed.

I laughed. "Is this what this is about? Huh? Marry me off, so you can keep my father all to yourself? That's too low. Even for you Nancy."

"I guess you'd know what 'low' is, after all you're the one with the imaginary girlfriend." She scoffed.

"Don't talk about her that way."

"I will talk about whatever I want in whatever manner I want. Grow up Ethan. Maybe, you're too scared to tell everyone you're gay huh?? Come on, say it. Why else won't you settle down? You really shouldn't bother about being a disgrace you know, Ethan Veron is already one."

"You've crossed the line." I spat.

"Really? Because I didn't see one. All I see is a baby in a grown man's body."

"That's-"

"ENOUGH!!" My dad bellowed, cutting me off as he stood up.

"Dad, put your wife in her place." I fumed, meanwhile she stood back and crossed her arms.

"I said enough." He spoke again. "Ethan, you will not speak to your mother with such disrespect. She is only looking out for you."

You have got to be kidding me.

"Disrespect?! Dad, disrespect?? I wasn't the one throwing words around and she is not my mother. She never will be my mother. Ever since you married her, you forgot you had a son. Everything she says is what goes. You've been so caught up with her, you forgot you had a son. For Christ's sake, I even had a daughter, I had a girlfriend, and now, now my daughter is dead and my girlfriend doesn't even want to see me. Yet, my father didn't even know. I used to tell you everything, it was just us when mom died. Now, I can't even stand both of you." I didn't wait to listen to anything they had to say, I went into my room, collected my essentials and came out.

By the time I was heading back, I realized Ava was no longer there. Just my dad and Nancy who seemed to be faking her cries if you asked me.

I looked my dad straight in the eyes, the eyes we share, I made sure he got the message that I was leaving.

"Enjoy your fucking holiday." I spat.

I left the villa we were living in and made my way to the garage.

As I unlocked the car, I noticed a familiar redhead.

"Ava? Look, I don't know whatever Nancy put in your head but I actually have a girlfriend." I stated.

She smiled, "so do I. Don't think so highly of yourself."

What?

"What?" I asked.

"I have a girlfriend. I'm gay. Nancy would've known if she actually gave me a chance to speak when she was conversing with me." She explained.

"Oh! Uhm..." I scratched my neck.

"So you're leaving?"

"Yeah."

"Back to America?"

"I guess so."

"Good."

"What?" She had me confused for the second time in ten minutes.

"Listen Ethan, I don't know you well but I think you're a good person. So I had no idea why you were spending the holidays with your parents when you could be fighting for the woman you love. Don't get me wrong, your dad seems amazing but I don't think that's enough reason to run away just because your girlfriend doesn't want to see you. If you really love her like you say, it wouldn't matter if she didn't want to see you, all that matters would be the fact that you fought." She smiled.

She was right.

I smiled. A genuine one.

"Thank you Ava. You're a dear." I quickly called my assistant and asked him to prepare the private jet.

If my calculations were right, I should be home before Christmas.

"Thanks again Ava. I needed the boost. I could kiss you right now..." I laughed. I was on a love high.

"Hey, back off. Remember, I have a girlfriend and I intend on staying faithful." She flicked her red hair.

And we both laughed.

I'm coming Kendra.

Hey there loves.... So, this is a little insight on Ethan's family. Hope you loved it.

So, here's the thing.

My birthday is coming up in a month's time and *drumroll* I will be releasing my second book on my birthday.

As a gift to all you readers.

I'm going to try my possible best to finish up Lifeline before then.

We will soon be saying goodbye to Ethan and Kendra.

P.S. I need a ship name for them guys. I would love to see your ideas.

Please please please vote.

Much love, Joy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.2M 159K 34
"Hey Babe! I am having a surprise news for you!!" Anna cooed with the joy to tell Ethan that she is pregnant. "Before that sign the divorce paper!"...
1.8M 45.2K 128
She was his motivation. Madison Connor, the only woman he had ever loved, the woman he had hurt, the woman he had left. Billionaire Damien Daniels ha...
325K 12.2K 31
WARNING!!! I wrote this when I was a kid. The tropes and stuffs are no longer relevant 😀 BUT feel free to leave hate comments 😌🤙 They make me feel...
860K 29.7K 37
What happens when your feelings and thoughts don't agree? You feel like there's a battle happening inside you. Your heart tells you what you really w...