The Unseen Beauty of the Ungr...

By SKblind

First came the heavens, the glistening white abyss of clouds that overlooked the barren land. Then came the s... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Ascension Day
Chapter 2: Back to the Ground
Chapter 3: Afternoon Tea
Chapter 4: Fire and Arrows
Chapter 5: Purple
Special 1: A Different Perspective
Chapter 6: Records
Chapter 7: Secrets and Daggers
Chapter 8: Arguments and Potatoes
Chapter 9: The Waiting Game
Chapter 10: The Beauty of Chaos
Chapter 11: Unconscious Thoughts
Chapter 12: Crime and Punishment
Chapter 13: Wine and Spilled Secrets
Chapter 14: Stubborn Care
Chapter 15: Broken Walls
Chapter 16: Needy vs Nervous
Chapter 18: I Promise
Chapter 19: The Price of Peace
Chapter 20: Sentencing
Chapter 21: The Chaos of Free Will
Chapter 22: Do We Have A Deal?
Chapter 23: Into the Unknown
Chapter 24: Confessions and Realizations
Chapter 25: Alone Together
So Here's What's Going On

Chapter 17: Mumbo.exe Has Malfunctioned

692 53 88
By SKblind

"Mumbo, I really don't know why you're doing this to yourself"

Mumbo shook his head, sweat dripping from his hair as his lungs screamed for oxygen.

"I... I'm getting... better though... right?" He asked, breathing heavily between words.

"Um, yes?"

Mumbo raised an eyebrow and Grian grinned a bit guiltily.

"How... are you... not tired? We've been... doing this... for three hours"

Grian bit his lip and looked at his feet.

"I mean... you don't pose much of a challenge"

Mumbo felt his jaw drop.

"Hey!" He yelled indignantly.

Grian snorted and Mumbo felt himself soften at the small God's smile.

"Maybe we should stop. I told you, I can protect both of us"

"No!" Mumbo cried, standing up straight, trying to regain what was left of his dignity. "I want to do this!"

"Ok, ok" Grian placated. "Let's just... take a break ok?"

"I... yeah... yeah ok"

He slid back down the wide tree and Grian, after a slight hesitation, sat next to him.

"You are getting better you know"

Mumbo rolled his eyes.

"We've been at this for a week and I still can't dodge your attacks. You don't have to lie"

Grian shrugged.

"Yeah, I know, but you look so pitiful. Besides, I'm having fun"

Mumbo tried to maintain an annoyed expression, but felt his lips quirk up as Grian nudged his shoulder playfully.

He didn't move away afterwards either.

Mumbo slowly relaxed his weight against Grian's arm, his chest blooming with sudden warmth.

"Grian..."

"Yeah?"

What happened to your face?

Why did you leave the heavens?

Will you take off your mask?

Why do the primaries think you're dangerous?

Why do you always have nightmares?

"How... did you get so good at fighting?"

Grian turned his face away so Mumbo could only see the back of his ear and the tuffs of dirty blond curls that stuck out from his hood.

"I just... learned from experience"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean the ground can be a dangerous place, especially when you're small" he snapped.

"...oh. Well, if you don't like it down here, why didn't you try going back up-"

"I think we need to take a different approach to training you" Grian said, cutting Mumbo off and standing up so they were no longer touching.

Mumbo blinked and sighed.

You pushed too much. Nice job.

"Like what? We've tried having you dodge me, having me dodge you-"

"Maybe dodging isn't your thing. You might do better with strength" Grian suggest, tossing his stick-like dagger to the ground. "How about this: I'll try to pin you down, you try to pin me down. Maybe you'll be better with contact fighting"

Mumbo shrugged.

"I'll give it a shot"

He stood, groaning slightly as his aching muscles rebelled.

Grian tightened the strings of his mask and widened his stance.

"Go on" he challenged.

Mumbo took a deep breath, and lunged for him. This time, instead of dodging out of the way, Grian grabbed onto Mumbo's wrists and yanked him down, sweeping the feet out from under the tall God with his leg.

As they fell, Grian rolled on top of Mumbo and straddled his waist. He hooked his feet around the inside of Mumbo's knees and pressed his arms into the ground.

"I win"

Mumbo did not respond. He felt short of breath as he was pressed into the dirt, his body uncomfortably hot. His heart was rattling so intensely he worried for a moment that he might pass out.

"Mumbo, come on"

He blinked and let his gaze refocus. Grian stood over him - when had he gotten off? - and was holding out his hand for Mumbo to take.

He took the hand and shakily got to his feet.

"You ok?" Grian asked, staring up into Mumbo's scarlet face, his eyes narrowed in concern.

"Mmm hmmm"

"Ok, well let's go again"

Grian walked a few paces away and readied himself.

"And this time try to resist. You basically let me take you down that time"

Mumbo gulped.

Yeah... weird...

~~~

As Mumbo felt his wrists pinned down  to the ground for the sixth time he couldn't help but smile.

The sun was setting over the mountains, and with the way the light was washing over Grian's face, it made his crystal blue eyes glow a breathtaking amber color.

"Mumbo!"

Grian sat back on his hunches, and Mumbo sucked in a breath of air at the sudden added weight on his abdomen.

"I swear to Gods you aren't even trying!"

"I..."

Mumbo desperately searched for words. He was trying... sort of. But the squeezing in his chest that sent tingles radiating down his body every time his hands were restrained above his head said otherwise.

Grian crossed his arms.

"Well??"

"I..."

In a sudden burst of confidence, Mumbo threw himself forward and grabbed the small God's wrists.

Grian yelped in surprise as he fell back and his arms were quickly secured to the ground.

"I win" Mumbo said, smiling proudly.

Grian grinned and chuckled lightly.

"Not bad Mumbo Jumbo, not bad at all. Just one thing"

"What did I miss?"

"Come closer"

Mumbo felt his face flush as he leaned towards the masked God.

"Closer..."

Mumbo's breath hitched and he leaned closer. Any closer and they would be...

"W-what did I m-miss?"

Grian huffed a soft laugh and Mumbo felt a shiver go down his spine at the feeling of the small God's breath on his face.

"Legs"

"Huh?"

In a flash Grian kicked up his feet and twisted his body, wrapping his legs around Mumbo's middle and jerking him to the side, rolling on top.

"Legs" he repeated, a smug smirk plastered on his face.

"Legs..."

Grian began to laugh. He sat back on the tall God's waist and put a hand over his mouth trying to muffle the uproarious giggling.

"I'm sorry" he choked out, his shoulders shaking. "You just sound so wrecked!"

Mumbo felt like he was dreaming. Although Grian sometimes chuckled lightly or snorted in amusement, he had never laughed like this before, and the giddy bell-like giggling made Mumbo feel like he was floating.

He hesitantly raised his hand and reached towards Grian's arm. However, Grian had squeezed his eyes shut in his bubbly laughter, and didn't notice until Mumbo grabbed his wrist gently and pried his hand off his mouth.

"I like it when you laugh"

Grian's eyes widened in surprise and his ears turned pink.

"You... really?"

Mumbo nodded, his face coloring under the small God's unwavering attention.

Grian smiled softly, and slowly lowered the arm in Mumbo's grasp until their palms were pressed together. He suddenly looked scared, worried, as though Mumbo might pull away.

Mumbo just shook his head minutely and gently laced their fingers together.

"Yes, really"

——

"What is this crap?"

"I don't know"

"Well we have to stop it! If they get too close and he finds out-"

"Shut up! That isn't going to happen. Chaos is far too unpredictable and violent for real emotional connection. He'll slip up eventually"

"And if he doesn't?"

"Then we'll take matters into our own hands..."

I hope you enjoyed the chapter! If you did, please consider leaving a like and a comment to let me know what you think!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.3K 416 10
mumbo and grian begin setting dares for one another, playing 'chicken' until one gives up. failing to realise both were as stubborn as one another...
35.5K 1.7K 22
This is a story of my creation based on the hermitcraft characters! There will be some shipping (#Grumbo) but no smut. Some violence, and maybe some...
25.4K 1.1K 28
Addleworth /add-ul-worth/ adj. Being unable to answer the question of if you're truly okay, and are a good person. Feeling unable to decipher the fe...
146K 4K 39
Grumbo = Grian + MumboJumbo = possibly one of my favorite OTP's Requests are NOT available. I respect the real people, so that is why I am doing only...