Phoenix

By AmandaReneeBoulos

One day shy of eighteen Ember's pack and family are destroyed. She managed to escape with one other pack memb... More

Chapter 1- Ashes
Chapter 2- Shift
Chapter 3- Mate
Chapter 4- Nightmares
Chapter 5- Emotions
Chapter 6- Witch
Chapter 7- Home
Chapter 8- Family
Chapter 9-Meeting
Chapter 10- Bedtime
Chapter 12- Mark
Chapter 13- Letter
Chapter 14- Pack
Chapter 15- Luna
Chapter 16- Nevaeh
Chapter 17- Sharing
Chapter 18- Gather
Chapter 19- Meeting

Chapter 11- Shopping

17 1 0
By AmandaReneeBoulos

Ember's POV

The best feeling in the entire world is also a very tiring feeling. Getting up at midnight to aid a fussy three month old baby. It's incredible that this little life depends so completely on us. We get to put that toothless smile on her chubby little face. We are responsible for her happiness and her health, and that thought alone should be daunting but it's truly the most rewarding thing I've ever experienced. 

Now that's not to say that I didn't groan just a little at the thought of my beautiful dreamless sleep being interrupted. I was a little thrown off in the moment, but I would gladly give up sleep to make sure my pups are okay. I would and I will do anything for them. 

When we found them in that cave, I thought Zander and I would end up arguing over what to do with them. He's a young guy, an Alpha at that, and a small part of me thought he may want someone else to take care of them. The fact that he was just as committed to Kadence and Riah as I am had my heart soaring. 

The thought that I wouldn't be a good enough mom to them flashed through my mind, but it was pushed away the moment Riah called me momma like he had been doing it his whole life. I would give anything to undo all the pain my poor boy has had to endure, and I will give anything to make sure he doesn't feel anymore unavoidable pain.

Mate looks so beautiful laying with our pups. Phoenix pushed into my mind tiredly. She's right. He looks as if he was made to be a father. 

She was only a little disappointed that we had to post pone the marking we had discussed. She knows that Kay and Riah will always be our number one priority, and she had no issue with that. She just wanted to feel the intensifying of our connection, so I couldn't really blame her.

That he really does. I agreed with her. 

Around three Kay woke again, luckily Riah did jump awake at her fussing like last time. He just opened his eyes a blinked a couple times as if registering his location, before smiling gently and closing his eyes again.

"I got her love." Zander spoke sitting up before I even had the chance.

"You sure?" I whispered back.

"Of course, you lay with our boy. Me and the princess will be right back." He winked at me grabbing Kay from my arms and quietly exiting the room. 

I cuddled back into the bed and Riah sleepily slid closer to me until he was tucked into my arms. "I love you momma." I smiled and kissed the top of his head.

"I love you too, baby." 

Eventually I drifted off to sleep, and I must have been tired because I didn't wake up when the rest of my family rejoined us in the bed. 

I awoke again when the clock on the wall said it was eight in the morning. I smiled at the restful night I had cuddled with my pups and my mate in our large bed. I looked at them all still happily sleeping. 

Zander had Kadence wrapped so sweetly in his large protective arms, and Riah was still tightly enclosed in mine. 

I pulled my arm away from my boy and laid it gently on my mate's shoulder. I wanted to wake him lightly so he didn't scare the kids. It took a moment but eventually he opened his beautiful emerald eyes. They flashed a lighter green when he noticed the smile on my face before returning to the deeper color. 

"Good morning beautiful." He whispered over the kids.

"Good morning." I blushed a little at his compliment. "We should probably be getting up we have so much to do today." I pouted just a little and his eyes flashed briefly again.

"Yeah probably. Glad we bathed them last night." He chuckled and I couldn't help but agree with him.

"How do we wake them?" I questioned suddenly a little nervous. It didn't last though because I heard an almost inaudible cute little chuckle. Coming from the little monkey with his face in my chest. I raised an eyebrow and smiled. He thinks he's sly. Zander heard it too and he sent me a smirk.

"Hey lil man.." He called in a sing songy voice. We he heard no response, meaning Riah was trying to pretend he was still asleep his smirk widened. 

Grab his arms. He linked me and I did what he said very slowly so Riah wouldn't suspect anything. I held my hand on my boy's bicep so he couldn't move his arm. I applied just a little pressure, not hard enough to hurt him or anything. 

"Last chance..." My mate whispered with a chuckle and when Riah stayed quiet he took on of his arms away from the baby and stated his attack.

He tickled the small boy until his giggles probably woke up the entire house, Kadence included. She joined in on the giggled. She loved that we were all having fun When we finally released him and he pulled away from me he had the biggest grin on his perfect little face. My heart jumped a little in my chest at seeing his so unabashedly happy.

"Want some breakfast baby?" I asked him and his eyes lit up even brighter.

"Can we have pancakes and fruit?" He asked excited and I nodded with a smile.

"No pineapple though!" Zander butted in remember what I told him about Riah's allergy.

"Exactly. No pineapple." I agreed. We finally got both of the kids out of the bed and waited to dress them in their outfits for the day. On the list of errands is shopping for some necessities for the kids, including clothes. The daycare didn't have much to spare so their clothes for today will hopefully stay clean. At least long enough for us to get the shopping done. We figure it was a safer bet to leave them in their pajamas while they eat.

"Would you like to shower first and I can watch Riah while he eats?" Zander asks and I take him up on the offer.

I showered quickly, making sure not to dilly dally too much.  When I got out I threw on an outfit from the clothes Aaliyah had provided me. Reminds me I need to get some clothes for me as well while we're out.

When I was clean and dressed in a pair of jeans and a simple black v neck t shirt with a maroon cardigan over the top I left the room and found my family happily eating in the kitchen still. Riah had syrup cover his face, but I didn't mind because beneath the syrup was my favorite thing in the world. His gigantic smile.

That smile told me that while he has known tragedy and great pain in his short lifetime he still has happiness in him. Happiness that I intend to pull out of him as often as I possibly can. 

I think my parents would be proud of me right now. As that thought passed through my mind I remembered the letter that Chora gave me. I haven't had a chance to read it yet with everything that's been going on. I shoved it into the diaper bag before we got out of the car yesterday. 

I guess that's another thing I need to add to our ever growing list of tasks we need to complete.

Alright, so we have to go shopping. We have to have a conversation with Zander's father to answer his question. We have to introduce me to the pack as well as the pups. We have to schedule and plan the Luna ceremony. We have to set up Riah's room. We need to prepare for the gathering of Alpa's coming up here soon so we can get information. Zander has to mark me and now I have to find time to read that letter. Preferably enough time for me to cry, because  I'm sure I will. 

That's so much. We definitely won't be getting all of the done today. We will start with shopping, setting up the room, and talking with Zander's dad. If Vera would like to watch the kids a bit longer we may be able to fit in the marking and possibly the letter. Who knows. We'll see what the day brings. 

"How were your pancakes lil man?" I asked sitting beside my boy.

"They were so good!" He grinned at me.

I ate while Zander had his shower and soon enough he was back down and we got the kids ready so we could go into town to go some shopping. 

"The day care was able to get us a car seat for each of the kids." Zander explained when we made it to the car. 

"I have never used a car seat before, how do we..?" I questioned and for the first time since we found the kids I was a little bit nervous by my lack of knowledge. 

"Let me help you guys." Vera called coming out of the house. 

She showed me how to buckled Kadence. She explained where the harness should sit so she would be safe, and she helped me tighten it. In the end she looked nice and safe nestled in her pink car seat. Riah's was easier. Vera called his seat a high backed booster. He just had to buckle the regular belt since the seat was already anchored in. 

I thanked Vera before getting into the passenger seat. The over protective new mom in me debated on sitting in the back between the kids, but both Zander and Vera assured me they'd be fine.

"So should we go into the human town about twenty minutes from here where there's a mall or should we try and see if the shops down the road will have what we need?" My mate asked and I thought about it.

"We haven't done the introduction yet, and I don't really want to be fielding questions all day. Let's go to the mall." I decided. Zander nodded and backed out of the driveway heading to the mall.

"Speaking of, when would you like to do that?" He asked me glancing occasionally in my direction but mostly keeping his eyes on the road. 

"Tomorrow? I was thinking about everything we need to get done, and we won't have time to do that today. I think tomorrow would be good." 

"Okay. That okay with you lil man? Can we show you off to the pack tomorrow?" Zander called to the back seat.

"What if they don't like me?" My boy asked us shyly.

"I haven't met them either, but wanna know something?" I asked turning to look at him.

"What?" 

"I happen to know that you are the best little boy in the whole world. There is no doubt in my mind they're all going to love you. Now me on the other hand, I don't know. I'm scared. Do you think you could hold my hand? That way, I know at least one person in that room will like me?" I looked at him with overly exaggerated scared eyes. He smiled big at me.

"Of course I'll hold your hand momma. They're all gonna love you too. Wanna know why?" He looked at me with what seems like pride on his adorable little face.

"Why's that baby?" I knew that if I put all the focus on me he'd go back to the confident sweet boy he always is.

"Because you're the best momma ever, and you're going to be the best Luna ever. Right daddy?" He asked for input.

"That's exactly right lil man." Zander smiled into the rear view mirror before looking back at the road again.

I blushed and thanked my boys. The rest of the ride to the all was quick and filled with endless baby babble that didn't fail to put a smile on my face. Kadence has always been an incredibly happy baby and I'm glad to see that despite everything that hasn't changed. Not yet at least.

When we got to the mall we went straight to work. We gathered and purchased everything we could possibly think of for the kids. Clothes, shoes, furniture, bedding, soap, formula, baby food, bubble bath. Everything. When the kids were all set, I got everything I needed as well. I tried to keep it simple and cheap, but Zander kept on insisting on spoiling me. 

When we were done we headed to the food court to get lunch. I sat down with the kids and made Kay a bottle while Zander went and ordered us food. I have never been to a mall before so this whole environment was a little weird for me, I didn't hate it though.

After we ate, I left Zander at the table with the kids so I could run and use the bathroom. I was quick in finishing my business before washing my and heading back to where my family was waiting. I had just made it passed the ice cream store when I felt a hand on my bicep. I turned quickly to see who was trying to get my attention.

A guy, probably around my age, not terrible to look at, but didn't look nearly as good as my mate. Oh and he's human. "Damn, you are beautiful." He spoke after a moment of just looking at me. He quirked his brow and let a smirk dance across his lips while his ran up and down my body.

"Oh uhm thanks?" I answered uncomfortably before trying to turn and continue on my way.

"Where you goin baby. Let's get to know each other a bit. What's your name." He kept looking down at my chest. I have never been self conscious of my body. It's just not something that has ever been an issue for me. It usually isn't with most wolves. We are a naturally good looking race, but the way this guy is looking at me had me itching to cover myself. Again that's a weird thing to be feeling. I'm accustomed to being bare in front of other people.

"No thanks. I better get back to my family." I tried being polite and jerked my thumb in the direction of Zander and the kids. My mate kept looking over here without trying to alert our pups. 

You okay?  I heard him mind link me.

Yeah I think so. 

"Oh that your brother over there with his kids?" He questioned glancing between the two of us maybe trying to find the resemblance. I didn't really want to have to explain anything to this guy so I just forced a chuckle before shaking my head and turned away again. 

This time the guy grabbed my hand and turned me to face him again before pushing me again the wall beside us. It was so unexpected and fast that the whole thing just confused me. I should have been able to stop it, but I really didn't think he'd touch me again. 

"I wasn't done. They can wait." He smirked at me again. Seriously? Is that how humans behave with strangers? My pack never really mingled with many humans so I don't have very much experience. 

I was about to throw this guy on his ass, but before I had a chance he was pulled away from me. "Mind leaving my wife alone?" Zander asked in a deep menacing voice. Kadence was propped in one of his arms while Riah was shyly behind his leg. 

"Momma!" He ran to me and I quickly lifted him up and he hugged me tightly.

"Now I'm gonna let you go, but you can be damn sure the only reason you're walking away right now, is because our kids are right here. Now go." Zander shoved him away, making the guy fall on his butt. 

He looked terrified and kept looking between the four of us, probably confused considering I don't look old enough to have a kid Riah's age. Finally he got off his butt and grumbled before walking away to a group of guy that were all laughing at him.

"You just got dropped on your ass!" One of them laughed.

"I've never seen someone rejected so hard." Another one said. 

"How was I supposed to know she was married with kids. I thought she was like our age." The guy said before they all continued laughing and walking away from the food court.

"You okay love?" Zander asked when he had my attention again. I'm sure he was listening to the group too.

"Yeah I'm good. I was about to shove him away, you just moved faster than me." I told him with an assuring smile. "You okay baby?" I asked my son.

"Yeah momma. I was just scared. Why was the guy pushing you?"He asked me innocently.

"You know what? I really don't know. That is definitely not how you treat women. Or people in general. You never touch someone like that without permission. Especially not strangers. You know that right baby?" I decided to use it as a teaching moment. My son will not be growing up being disrespectful like that.

"Yep. I got it momma." He smiled and I matched it with one of my own and kissed him on the cheek. He giggled and wiggled out of my arms so I set him down. He grabbed my hand and we walked back to the table that had all of our stuff still sitting there untouched.

"Here grab out the baby wearing thing." Zander suggested and I found it in one of the bags. I opened up the packaging before securing it on myself. "I meant so I could carry her." He laughed and I grinned at him.

"I wanna carry her, beside you can grab more bags than me." I stuck tongue out at him and he laughed at my antics. Eventuallt he sighed exaggeratedly and handed me Kadence. "Hi baby girl." I kissed all over her cheeks making her giggle. He hand found my long hair and she gripped it tightly as her laughter became louder. I laughed with her not really bothered by the pulling.

"My turn!" Riah cheered from the ground.

"Oh your turn?" Zander crouched down with his tickle monster hands ready, "Fine you asked for it!" 

Riah let out a shriek of laughter while my mate tickled and planted kisses all over him. People around us were smiling and laughing with our two giddy kids. 

It took awhile but I eventually got them all to calm down. Naturally Zander was the most difficult. We gathered all of our bags. Luckily the furniture was placed in the back of the large SUV we brought here. I was honestly surprised it all fit. To be fair though it all had to be built, so the boxes were easy to stack. The mattress for Riah though had to stick out the back. 

WE loaded up the car with the rest of our things and got the kids buckled in safely. I resumed my place in the passenger seat while Zander drove. It didn't take long for the kids to fall asleep.

"Wife huh?" I teased and I notice Zander blush just a little.

"Well, I couldn't really say mate, and girlfriend felt to insignificant. I could have said fiance, but wife just came out." He chuckled nervously.

"I'm just teasing. You're right. Our relationship is too difficult to explain to humans." I laughed. 

"How are you doing today love? I haven't gotten to really check in with you after everything that's going on." He gave me a half smile.

"I'm good. I loved spending all morning with you and the kids. It's really helping me a lot. I think my parents would be proud of me right now." I smiled at the thought again. "Have you heard anything from any of your contacts about the attack?" I asked him.

"No not yet. You will be the first to know anything I promise." I smiled again, grateful this time. 

"Thank you." 

"Sure thing." He grabbed my hand and interlaced our fingers. "So my mom is gonna take the kids when we get back, and then we will be talking with my dad. Have you decided yet if you wanna tell him?" 

"Yeah. I think we should tell him everything." I told him. I am not worried about his father doing anything with that information.

"You know that if he knows then mom knows too." He smiled at me.

"Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.3K 1K 29
Can two souls from different worlds collide and not explode? Emily Wild lives up to her name. Being the sole survivor of her pack's slaughter left h...
1.8M 57.1K 33
"You are mine. I am yours. We are one." **** Running away on your wedding day is inevitable, especially when the Alp...
1.6M 42.8K 50
Clare, a teenage werewolf, must face the darkness of the pack that took her in. Cold Creek Pack, took in Clare only because of their reputation. Othe...
1.1M 43.8K 48
He found her. He chose her. Now, she must decide if she chooses him. A Silverbloods Series ©The Found One (2015)