Falling For Grumpy

By asmaa-auwal

"What's your name?" Came his voice "It's Islam" she said carefully. Why would her voice betray her? That wa... More

First and foremost
1 | When Africa calls
2 | The Antsy cat
3 | The Khalil's
4 | First Encounter vs Crashing his Fav
5 | How to know the African culture
6 | How to fish out a kind soul
7 | How to terminate a baby
💖💦
8| How to advice a best pal
9 |How to wash elegant gowns
10 | How to be realistic
11 | The twins and the Hippo
12 | How to bid adieus
13 | How to break an oven
14 | How to be gorgeous yet ruiner
15 | How to be at your fav Aunt's
16 | How to have a grumbling gut
17 | How to expose oneself
18 | How to shop for the sick
19 | How to have blood phobia
20 | how to be the laugh of century
21 | flight phobia
22 | the amazing mom!
23 | doctors' brains!
24 | he's juhaif the grump!
25 | how to be shattered
26 | how to be certified as chef
27 | how to have hennah
28 | How to receive a green tea
29 | how to dodge a slap!
31| how to be embarassed to the core
32| how to spill a coffee!
33| how to find a library
34| how to meet new peeps!
35| popcorn and cinema
36| Repenting slave
37| different persona off camera
A year on venus
Diary of Reshma

30 | how to have shattered hearts!

165 26 0
By asmaa-auwal

"You think I won't find out?" His father bellowed in anger as he slapped him for the fourth time, as Islam gasped and covered her mouth with her palm to prevent her crying sound from escaping.

Juhaif just hold his cheek and dejectedly knelt in front of his dad. As tears kept gushing out of his eyes. No he wasn't crying because it was painful. He wasn't crying because his father slapped him in front of Islam or malam Danjuma the driver! He was crying because he had made his father so angry! He despised making his parents angry with all the fibre in him!

On the other hand Islam was so heartbroken, her heart wandered back to her dad and how she shouted at him, but here she was, seeing a big guy like Juhaif being slapped so hard on the face severally! But he didn't say a word but just knelt down in front of his dad! At this point she isn't sure if she's a good daughter anymore! She was wrong over what she did to her dad! But at this point she was so guilty that Juhaif had to go through this because of her. She'd never seen uncle this angry before. She can't help but think of what they could be trying so hard to protect, regarding her mom. What could they all be hiding from her? Some thing worth slapping Juhaif for? What could that be?

"I'm so sorry!" She heard Juhaif whispered. It's like cat got her tongue, because no matter how she tried she couldn't talk. She watched as Uncle looked over at her, and quickly enough he looked away, hissing at Juhaif that was still on his knees and leaving the place.

She turned around to see Malam danjummai's head bowed down, and looking at the floor. For the first time ever she'd seen Malam danjummai remained silent.

She quickly scurried off to where Juhaif was still kneeling, with his eyes on the floor! She wished she didn't put him in this condition. She caused it all! She hates herself!

"Our Lord, and make us Muslims [in submission] to You and from our descendants a Muslim nation [in submission] to You. And show us our rites and accept our repentance. Indeed, You are the Accepting of repentance, the Merciful." She prayed inwardly. She had no idea why, but anytime she's in distress and prays this du'a, she always finds relief!

"Juhaif I'm so sorry...."she started.

"Please leave!" He simply cut her off without as much as raising his head from the floor.

***
Once she got in the room, she was met with Husna pacing the room up and down. She quickly ran over and engulfed her in a hug.

"Where did you guys go to? I was worried sick." Husna called out. But Islam couldn't give her any answer. She just broke down completely and crying out loud. Everything is too much for her fragile heart!

"Shhh Islam. If it's hard to voice out don't tell me. Seek help in prayer and patience. But please don't leave abruptly like that again. At least notify me please."

They still haven't broken the hug, Islam was still crying, she whispered to Husna's ears, "please just tell me who I am Husna!"

Husna quickly broke the hug and looked at Islam's eyes.

"What are you talking about?"

"Please Husna. I'm begging you for Allah's sake. Please tell me, who am I? Or at least who my mom was and what happened to her. You must know something Husna."

Husna's eyes looked as if they were to fall on the ground. She gently shook her head sideways at Islam. But the tears cascading down Islam's eyes were paining her to the core.

"I'm sorry Islam but i don't know anything."

Islam didn't say a word, she just moved over to the bed and removed her hijab, making her hair cascade on her back, giving a final look at Husna she finally got in the loo, while Husna dispiritedly sat on the bed. She felt dejected, sad, and despondent! She wished she knew anything about it, but Allah is her witness that she doesn't know of a thing except it's a rule no one is allowed to talk about her mother in the family! Who ever it is can only say out her name and remember light things about her, but nothing more than that! And she had no idea why! But seeing Islam this way has completely disheartened her! She wished she could help!

She heard the toilet door creaked ajar. And one look at Islam one could tell she must have been crying ever since she got in the loo! Husna didn't say a word. She just got up and spread out a praying mat for her. That was the least she could do for her! As she had seen her put on ablution!

Once Islam bowed her head down in sujud as she was praying, she made sure to cry out all her pain to Allah. Because she knew He alone would help her. She knew only Allah could ease her affairs! Only Allah can save her out of the shambles and ignorance she's at! Only Allah could help her! Because He alone loves her on earth morethan anyone! Not even the love her mom had for her when she's alive!

Islam called out all the prayers that came to her head that night, especially her favorite 40 rabbana duas.

"Our Lord, give us in this world [that which is] good and in the Hereafter [that which is] good and protect us from the punishment of the Fire.

Our Lord, pour upon us patience and plant firmly our feet and give us victory over the disbelieving people.

Our Lord, do not impose blame upon us if we have forgotten or erred.

Our Lord, and lay not upon us a burden like that which You laid upon those before us.

Our Lord, and burden us not with that which we have no ability to bear. And pardon us; and forgive us; and have mercy upon us. You are our protector, so give us victory over the disbelieving people.

Our Lord, let not our hearts deviate after You have guided us and grant us from Yourself mercy. Indeed, You are the Bestower.

Our Lord, surely You will gather the people for a Day about which there is no doubt. Indeed, Allah does not fail in His promise.

My Lord forgive me and ease my affairs for the sake of my prophet rasul may peace be upon him." She finally finished praying.

By the time she was done she looked over to see Husna soundly sleeping on the bed. She got up and folded the praying mat. She then moved over and adjusted Husna's head on the table. She sauntered out of the room. But when she reached the living it was dark. The light has been turned off. She decided to just find a sofa and seat with the help of the light from her phone screen and the red light from the t.v, an indication that the main switch of the t.v hasn't been switched off.

She stayed that way in the dark for long, just crying her heart away, before she finally decided to go outside, she used the kitchen door leading to the back of the house, a tiny compartment that looked like a mini garden, and went over there. It was quite dark. The only source of light there was the light from the moonlight sky! And the stars, just looking at the sky made her cries intensified, she wondered how the hurul ains must be feeling right now. The mere thought of knowing they are people up there, that have never once felt sad, or got their heart broken or any hardship of this dunyah made her cried hard. Truly which of the favors of our Lord will we deny?

She gently sat down and folded her legs under her thighs, while her head was still looking up. She found herself praying to Allah, the king of all kings! The only One True King!

"Ya Allah forgive me, my father and whole of Muslim ummah. Have mercy on my mom and grant us paradise." She prayed, and that prayer eased her heart. From behind her she heard an Amen. She knew angels were famously known over answering du'as, but no one ever told her humans could hear angels talk. That scared the daylight of her and she quickly turned around, and her mouth slowly widened, because even though the moonlight wasn't full, and the place wasn't so bright, she could see who it was, because she knew that figure!

"Juhaif?" She called out gently!
"What are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here?" He sent back her question to her.

They silently sat around, with out any of them voicing anything out.

Later on Islam wiped away some tears that started to cascade again, "is everyone going through so much hardships?" She voiced out, no matter how she didn't wanna admit it, she was referring to him, she really was!

"The world's a harsh place." He stated.

"How did you do it?" She asked referring to how easily he apologised to his father. And he understood her.

"He's my father. He gave me everything! I betrayed him, it's normal he gets angry."

Right there Islam broke in to tears, so she betrayed her own father! She was wrong! What she did wasn't right! It's not fair, she was so unfair to her own father, her own father who gave her everything!

"Growing up and seeing my dad as a role model, him being my favorite person, then realising he'd been part of the mafia is such a massive blow on face, I felt....I felt...sad honestly," she finished sniffing her nose.

"You can't be so sure!" Juhaif let out, and Islam's forehead squeezed at that. Because Juhaif didn't seem a bit shocked! It seemed like he knew about it all along.

"You knew about this. Right?"

"I'm sorry. I eavesdropped. I came looking for Husna that day and I mistakenly eavesdropped on you. I mean when you were on call with your dad. I'm really sorry. But how did you find out? I mean if all those years you didn't find out about anything? Why just out of the blue? I mean maybe it's not true!" He said.

But Islam tried dodging his first question. Because she couldn't do that to Nora. Because telling on how she finds out will automatically leads to the guy Nora talked to at the airport, and she asked her to keep it as secret, "well, I wish, but that's the truth, and there's nothing I can do about that, he sacrificed her..." She let out the last part and broke in to tears.

"I know you might relate to that rich parents life, where no matter how hard you work, everyone will just link it to being just a spoilt brat that got it outta her parent's wealth. Throughout my life it's been that way, I forced myself not to dwell upon that...not to let it got to me... and now just finding out how such wealth been acquired! I can't hate him. But I don't like him either anymore!" Islam cried like she'd never cried before.

Juhaif wasn't sure of what to say to her. He wanted to help. But he had no idea how. Instead he just waited till her cries subsided.

"Thanks for hearing me out. Please not a word to anyone about this." She finally whispered.

"Sure. Inshaa Allah." He replied and together they left the garden and went to their respective rooms.

***

The next day dad was so angry that he readjusted the travel plans and said they were to leave that very morning! Whether the car service was satisfied or not! At some point he wanted to use the pj but knew Husna his favorite girl has issues with flying and tries not to bother her.

As they were about to leave Islam texted her only friend Selena. Not that she got anyone else to text beside her.

It's been an awesome yet tiresome journey. She had never travelled that long in a car before. A complete 5 hour journey by road. Wow! That was something to be proud of.

Once they arrived home malam Danjummai helped them unpack the booth. He was to stay in Abuja before heading back to Bichi the next day. Since it was late when they arrived the city.

Husna's phone peeped.

"My girl forgot about me."

"Hey we ain't fighting are we?"

Both were WhatsApp messages coming from different people. The first one was from Nora, while the last one from Moha. Without contemplating she knew she had to attend to Nora's first.

"Just arrived from our origin. Super tired will mesage you later with series of apologies."

Husna typed back and got off the app.

Ever since they had their little argument with Moha she'd been mad at him. She refused to even open the message. According to her the guy just kept acting some how. He's just too nice for her liking. Ever since they got in a relationship they've never fought an ounce. And she just hated that. That's why she looked for a way they'll fight and they are at it. Just that he's now trying to be the big guy and resolve it, but she wants it to escalate a bit and see how far his anger can go!

"Husna help Islam with that bag. Why are you just standing. You know her hands hurts." Aunt Kaula yelled at Husna. Husna knew her mom was just looking at someone to vent out her anger on, over waking up so early and returning back to Abuja so abruptly! Because Islam's hands weren't even paining her anymore!

She sighed inwardly and moved to collect the bag when Islam said, "no Aunt, it's no longer hurting me." She smiled back at Aunt while Husna smiled at Islam. She really loved her. She's so nice! Still she moved over and collected the bag from her.

They both tiredly walked to the house. Juhaif didn't even talk once ever since they arrived. He wasn't pressing his phone either. He was just looking at the floor without talking to anyone.

After freshening up and praying, Husna decided to fully respond to Nora. She sent her some pages of apologies.

"Common apology accepted. But make sure you pay the visit as promised." Nora reminded them about coming to her house.

"Nora I'm really tired. But I promise you it will be soon."

"I'll like to believe you'll keep to your promise. Btw how's Islam?"

"She's cool. You gave her a really weird advice, that almost cost her life."

Husna typed almost clutching her tummy. She looked over at Islam and saw her on phone.

"What advice 😮?"
Nora asked.

"Are you seriously asking. The innocent girl asked you about hennah and she went ahead and applied it. Trust me it wasn't a good experience for her."

"Oh that's bad!"

"Course it was!"

"Hey Husna how about going to the movies? I really want to see what's the cinema here looks like." Islam said from where she was seated. She knew if she didn't get something to get her mind off things she would resolved to overthinking.

"That's a good idea. We were just chatting with Nora. She asked of you."

"Oh really how's Lubna? I hope they are both fine?"

"Oh haram police must be doing good." Husna smiled referring to Lubna.

"Hey Islam is greeting Lubs!"
Husna typed out to Nora. And yet again she saw Moha's message coming in. She ignored him.

"I don't think mom will allow us though. The rules here is not staying outside after 8:00pm."

"Oh really?" Islam seemed sad.

"But if we can get bro to get us there, I don't think it will be a problem. Maybe mom will allow so."

"Then you can ask him for us. After all he really likes you, he even complimented your terrible pancake."

Immediately Islam let that out, she realised the mess she did. Her henna hands literally flew to her mouth.

Husna glared at her before they both laughed it off. "Don't worry lets just leave it till tomorrow by Allah's will!" Islam said and Husna agreed before moving on to invite Nora.

"Hey the cinema's tomorrow. You guys get ready by 8:00 we'll drop by. And tell Aunt and Uncle we're going there with Bro. Oh and did I just remember my matchmaking? I got a sit for you beside him*winks."

Husna messaged Nora. And just immediately her reply came in.

"You are crazy. They say no news is good news but babe there's good news."

"I'm all ears."
Husna couldn't wait. She was already eager to hear.

"Nah till we meet. Btw have the tailor brought your clothes?"

"I'm tired of talking to him. I'll just leave the natives line and go join the English wears wearing gang."

"That's bad. You can't give up on what you like cause of a tailor. Anyways there's this mall I came across online. You can't believe it. Literally any traditional style you can think of is there, 'ready made' and available in different sizes. Had to be like who ever made this is damn talented!"

"Wow send me pics."

"Not even the pics we need to hurry and visit the place. We gotta do some shoppiiiinggggg."

"That's it my dear. But maybe before the lockdown right?"

"You believe that? They won't be any. Wait and see. What will bring over something from China? Nah it's not gonna happen. I doubt they will be anything like covid here!"

"I hope so."

"So how's Moha?"

"Doing great."
Husna lied and made it seem everything is normal.

"Well he texted me."

"What did he say?"

"He told me you guys are fighting."

"Oh what a childish creature. That's it then. We are done. I don't like 3rd party things, and hate anyone who's that way!"

"What the papaya?!"

"Goodnight."
Husna quickly replied and turned off the wifi.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.7K 6.3K 27
I suddenly froze not knowing what to do I just stood there watched him unable to talk or move or do anything. I looked at his blazing eyes turn darke...
287K 20.8K 24
[#4 on Spiritual🔥🔥 On 24 September 2018] "Why is everybody avoiding me because of my voice? Was I the one that created myself? No. I was ridiculed...
4.4K 451 17
"Listen to me Qurratul Ayn, before you go, I want to know; did I ever offend you? Is my love for you too little?" I can feel his hand hovering over m...
MY STORY By madamsbs

General Fiction

3.2K 976 24
"You get sucked in, until something shattering happens; that's when you come back to your senses" When life decides it's time you get your lesson, it...