Remember My Name

By yejinhandlands

When Dr. Son Ye Jin resurfaced in Dr. Hyun Bin's hospital in Korea, he didn't know what else to do. Can the t... More

1 - Straight from New York
2 - Drunken Musings
3 - The Happy Hormones
4 - The Stockroom on the 6th Floor
5 - Save Me, Doctor
6 - Back to School
7 - Thirteen Hours Ahead
9 - Twenty Questions
10 - First Date
11 - Green Eyed
12 - House No. 1125
13 - Transient Fatigue
14 - Cravings in Life
15 - Raging Hormones
16 - Everything in Between
17 - Sweet Deviations
Special Chapter - Don't Leave
Epilogue - Remind You Everyday
Special Chapter: A Week with the Hyuns (I)

8 - Dominant Allele

12.4K 409 187
By yejinhandlands

When Yejin heard the familiar sound of the doorbell, she ran to the door.

She screamed in pain when she stepped on Ae-Rin's Pinypon doll, her generation's version of Polly Pocket. Still, she managed to get to the door, expecting him on the other side.

When she opened the door, her intense feelings faded.

Sigh. It was her father. It's not that Yejin is disappointed. It's just that she was expecting someone else.

"Abeoji." She smiled at his father and gave him a warm hug. When they entered her apartment, his father handed her a bag that contained Ae-Rin's clothes and basic essentials. Ae-Rin came running to her grandfather's arms.

"Hal-Abeoji!" Her father picked up Ae-Rin as she gave him a hug. For a minute there Yejin was worried about her father's brittle bones. "Are you okay, Ae-Rin? Where's Halmeoni?" her father asked worriedly.

He put down Ae-Rin and went to the extra room where Yejin's mother is still sleeping soundly.

"I'm so glad nothing serious happened to the both of them." He said to Yejin, "I told them to just wait. You will be visiting next week anyway. But Ae-Rin misses you so much she practically dragged your Eomma to the bus station."

"Appa, Ae-Rin will be staying here now," She replied as she glanced at her child happily playing in the living room.

"Your Eomma told me. Can you manage?"

"We'll be fine, Appa.. and I wanted her father to spend some time with her." She said, trailing off "..If he wants to, I mean."

"I already told you, Yejin, that he has the right—" Her father began lecturing her again.

"Appa.... I know." She didn't want to hear the lecture that she heard for three hundred times already. Instead of insisting his point, her father just gave her a warm hug. "Don't worry. Everything will be fine."

She hoped it would.

-

Yejin's father gave them a ride to the hospital. She and Ae-Rin bid their goodbye to her parents as they drive back to Daegu.

The mother and daughter graced the hospital hand in hand, with her Valentino bag hanging on her left shoulder and her daughter's Little Mermaid backpack hanging on her right.

They went to the hospital's day care and Ae-Rin was instructed to go inside. The child is used to this routine anyway. She spent her early years in hospital daycares while her mother worked, and Yejin would visit the child every free time she gets. But today, Ae-Rin is feeling a little cranky. She pouted her lips and refused to go inside the daycare.

"Ae-Rin, do you remember the little baby that we saw earlier when we passed by the nursery?" Ae-Rin nodded, "That baby needs Eomma, Ae-Rin. Eomma will do some magic to her tum-tum so she will be okay."

She explained everything sweetly to Ae-Rin, but her daughter's pout turned into a muffled cry. Ae-Rin's eyes were filled with tears as she looked at her mom.

"Omo...." Yejin wiped the tears from her daughter's precious eyes. "Don't cry, Love... After Eomma's surgery, we will eat your favorite food, okay?"

"I want to go now, Eomma..." Her child's tears were now falling uncontrollably, and she's starting to throw some light tantrums.

"Please, Love?" Yejin pleaded. "I prom—"

"I'll take her." Said a voice behind her that instantly made her soft. She immediately knew who it was, and she just felt her whole body tensed.

"Dr. Hyun, I know you're busy as well.." Dr. Son softly said. It surprised her too how steady her voice was, considering all she wanted to do right now is to hug him.

"No.." He replied simply. "I'm not busy."

Instantly, a resident came running into them. He was breathless as he said, "Dr. Son, we need you in the NICU (Newborn Intensive Care Unit)! A preemie just coded!"

Yejin just looked at Bin helplessly.

"Go," he said. "I got her."

Ae-Rin only waved as her mother ran to another child once again.

Bin stared at Ae-Rin, still frozen, until Ae-Rin's voice woke him from his thoughts.

He looked at the small hand tugging on his jacket before hearing that precious voice once again, "I'm hungry, Ahjussi."

-

Bin was a nervous wreck when they got to the restaurant. He was more nervous now than when he operated on the Chief of Surgery's wife and she coded on him.

They sat across each other, and Ae-Rin happily swayed her feet on the chair that was obviously too high for her. She held the menu, too big that it was covering her whole face.

"What do you want to eat, Ae-Rin?" Bin nervously asked. It was his first time alone with his daughter. He didn't want to mess this up, but at the same time he was legit clueless on what to do.

What if Ae-Rin doesn't like him?

What if Ae-Rin asks her mom not to leave her with this crazy ahjussi again?

"Hmmm.. Can I order anything I want, ahjussi?"

"Yes, Ae-Rin. Just order anything you like."

"I want the chicken..spaghetti.. and shake.." Ae-Rin looked at him shyly, "is it okay, Ahjussi?"

Bin just smiled at his daughter. He was actually glad that she has a big appetite. "Of course, Ae-Rin! Is that all?"

Ae-Rin just gave him a silly smile, and Bin laughed at the sight. He immediately knew his daughter wanted to say something.

"Fries too..." She whispered, with her two little hands slightly covering her mouth.

"I'm sorry I didn't quite hear that, what did you say, Ae-Rin?" Bin asked.

"Can I have fries too?" Ae-Rin beamed her smile at her father, and in that moment Bin was ready to buy her all the potatoes in the world.

"Okay. Oh, and what flavor is your shake, Ae-Rin?"

"Banana, Ahjussi."

Bin relayed all their orders to the waiter and they sat in silence. Bin didn't know what to say, but Ae-Rin broke the silence.

"Ahjussi. I'm sorry I ordered too many."

"It's okay, Ae-Rin. You can eat everything you want." Ae-Rin just smiled at him and took out the dolls from her bag. She laid all the dolls on the table, and she grabbed the one that Bin got her to play with it.

"Do you like my gift, Ae-Rin?"

"Yes, ahjussi!!!! It's my favorite!" Bin's heart just dropped to the floor. He was speechless for a moment, but Ae-Rin was a cheerful little girl, and she kept telling him stories about her sweet nothings.

But for Bin her sweet nothings were worth everything.

"I keep asking Eomma to buy me this, because my friend in the day care has one. And ahjussi, her doll has blue hair and she cut it off! I will tell her when I see her again that I now have the mermaid with red hair!"

"I'm glad I picked that," Bin said with excitement as he grabbed one of her dolls on the table and played with her daughter.

Bin and Ae-Rin kept exchanging little stories for at least 15 minutes. It reminded him of his first date with Yejin, where they sat in complete silence for the first 10 minutes, but once Yejin told him a story of how her first phlebotomy(blood draw) went, they talked for hours, and became inseparable after that.

Well, until 2013 happened.

He brushed his thoughts when their food came. Ae-Rin and Bin immediately kept his dolls in her backpack.

Ae-Rin rolled her fork on the plate, collecting the pasta. She stuffed her mouth with the spaghetti.

"Omo..." Ae-Rin said. Bin attentively looked at her and asked what's bothering her. Ae-Rin motioned him to move his ear closer to her. "Ahjussi, they put too much sauce on my spaghetti."

Bin's heart skipped a beat. He just looked at his daughter and smiled, because she's just like her mother—Her mother who weirdly likes her spaghetti bland.

"Do you want something else, Ae Rin-ah? I can buy you something else."

"No, Ahjussi. This is still good. Mom said it's bad to waste food."

Ae-Rin cutely chomped on the chicken, the fries, and the spaghetti on her plate and the spaghetti's sauce crated a mess on her chubby cheeks and small nose. Bin sat beside her and gently wiped his baby's face with a tissue.

"Are you my Eomma's friend, ahjussi?" Bin just nodded and Ae-Rin just smiled, "Thank you for being her friend. Eomma doesn't have a lot of friends. She only has one friend in the US. My Aunt Yoona. I want her to have a lot of friends like me." Ae-Rin smiled as she held out her hands in front of his father, "I have 10 friends, Ahjussi! Seo Woo, Chul Ah, Sul Hee, Dae Won..."

What his daughter said stopped him in his tracks and made him think. He could only imagine how tough it had been for Yejin, raising such a sweet child all on her own. His thoughts were interrupted when a voice said,

"Can I have chocolate cake too?"

Bin smiled. "Do you like Chocolate cake?"

"Yes! I love it so much. It's my favorite."

There it is! That was Bin's DNA right there. 'That's my TAS1R3 gene!', he thought triumphantly. Bin couldn't be more proud.

Bin just savored every moment, inscribing each second into memory. Afterall, this was his first date with his daughter.

When they finished eating, they went back to his car and Bin strapped his daughter in the passenger seat.

"Ahjussi, I don't want to go back yet." Ae-Rin pouted. When Bin saw that, he immediately thanked the Heavens that he doesn't have any surgeries scheduled today, as he wanted to spend time with his precious little baby.

As Bin and Ae-Rin walked inside the mall, Ae-Rin was overwhelmed by the volume of the people inside, so she reached out to hold Bin's hand. When he felt that for the first time, then and there he knew he could take a bullet for this child.

"Do you want to buy some toys and clothes?"

-

Ae-Rin's eye twinkled when they reached the toy section of the department store. Bin pushed their cart through the different aisles, putting every toy that she liked inside. In fact, they even bought all kinds of mermaid dolls. In an instant their cart was full.

Bin and Ae-Rin then proceeded to the clothes aisle. As Ae-Rin is browsing through the rack of multi-colored tutus, Bin was engulfed with deep thoughts.

Did Ae-Rin had a father figure growing up?
Did she ever ask Yejin why she doesn't have a father?
How will she react when they tell her?

A piece of garment caught Bin's attention. He held the onesie with a "Daddy's Little Princess" printed on it. He can't help but think of his million what if's.

"Ahjussi, that's too small for me." Ae-Rin said, laughing.

Even so, he put it on top of their cart.

As much as he wants her to know that he is her father, he knew of the possible effect it might have on her. He could only look forward to that moment. As Ae-Rin called him "Ahjussi" once again, he wondered how long he has to wait before she calls him Appa.

He couldn't wait.

He glanced at his watch. They didn't realize the time passing by. He didn't mind, actually. But seeing Ae-Rin is tired already, he pushed the cart once again to the cashier. Time to put that credit card into action.

Ae-Rin slept in his father's passenger seat. When they arrived at the hospital, she looked so peaceful he didn't want to wake her. Bin was about to carry her when Ae-Rin opened her eyes.

She stood up and went out of the car still scratching her eyes. Baby Ae-Rin thought she would be going back to the daycare but when they arrived at Bin's office, she jumped on his sofa out of joy.

Ae-Rin opened the paper bag containing some of her newly-bought toys and she stationed herself on the floor, playing near his coffee table. Bin sat on his sofa, willing to play with her. She handed Bin a doll and they played together. Ae-Rin playfully put a bunny headband they bought on Bin's head, complementing the bear headband on hers.

Suddenly, his door opened. The chief took a peek inside, and looked utterly shocked when he saw his head of Cardio with pink bunny ears.

"Mmmm.." Chief said, forgetting what he was supposed to say, "Oh. I remember. Could you send me a copy of your fellowship dissertation? I need it for reference."

"Sure, Sir." Chief waved to the cute little girl before closing the door behind him.

"Baby, I'm just going to send a quick e-mail, okay?"

Ae-Rin just nodded. After a few minutes, she went to his shelf and asked, "Ahjussi, can i borrow a book? I need it for Ariel's bed."

"Sure, Ae-Rin." Bin got up and took the thickest book, his 800-pager The Textbook on Microbiology.

Ae-Rin gasped looking at his shelf. For a moment Bin got scared if something happened to his daughter, "That's why you looked familiar, Ahjussi! You're an actor too?"

Bin laughed, "Maybe in another lifetime, Ae-Rin. Why did you ask?"

"Because Ahjussi you looked familiar when I saw you yesterday." She tried to get the frame that housed his Med School graduation photo, struggling to reach the 3rd level of his shelf. When she successfully held it, she said, "This photo is also in our living room in Maryland and New York," Bin creased his eyebrows, confused. "And in Eomma's wallet too!"

Bin opened his mouth but failed to make any sound.

Ae-Rin continued, "She said this is her favorite actor in Korea." She even raised the frame in the air, "Are you famous Ahjussi? Let's take a picture so I can show my friends"

Bin just let out a shy laugh. His wallet has Yejin's photo graduation photo too. It's hidden, but it's there.

Bin grabbed his phone and they began posing for the camera. "Ahjussi, dont you know how to take a good selca?" She let out the most precious laugh in the world as Ae-Rin grabbed his hand and angled it. The numerous photos they took came out great, and Bin was one proud daddy.

He might have these photos printed the size of a billboard.

"Ahjussi, I'm hungry." Bin laughed, thinking his daughter must really have a big appetite. "Again?" he asked.

"Yes..." And she pouted. When she started doing the puppy dog eyes, Bin could've sworn his newly found paternal instinct wanted to jump out to get his baby some food. Thankfully, he bought a whole chocolate cake for her earlier, which he's supposed to give before they part ways later, but why not now?

When Ae-Rin saw the cake she jumped up and down, and he thought of how much energy will be produced by all the sugar she ate today.

Still, he took out the cake and sliced a piece for Ae-Rin.

When he heard another knock, he wasn't expecting her. He thought it must be another resident that wanted a quick consult, or another intern that needs his signature.

But there she was, on her dark blue scrubs and floral orange scrub cap.

He's mad at her but he can't deny the fact that she looks so fucking beautiful.

Ae-Rin looked like a criminal caught in the act when Yejin saw her holding a plate of chocolate cake.

"Eomma!" She handed the paper plate back to Bin and gave his mother a cheeky smile when Yejin said, "You're having cake again, Love?"

"My favorite Ahjussi bought me some." she said as he points to Bin. Yejin couldn't even look. "Can I still have one more?"

Finally, Yejin managed to look at Bin. They just shared a meaningful stare while Yejin said, "Sure", and Bin handed her the plate back again, still not breaking the stare.

Yejin and Bin were distracted by Ae-Rin trying to put a cake on her mom's mouth.

"Are you done with your surgeries?" Bin managed to ask, she nodded as she chewed the chocolate cake that her daughter gave her.

"Ae-Rin, we have to go. Dr. Hyun might have something to do."

Ae-Rin pouted once again, "But I'm having fun, Eomma..."

Dr. Son looked at Dr. Hyun once again, and he nodded, as if telling her that they would love for the both of them to stay.

The three of them just ate the chocolate cake out of the box, with Yejin and Bin alternately feeding their child while she's playing with her dolls. They all sat on the floor of his office.

"I'm so happy because of the chocolate cake, Eomma." The child now turned to Bin, "Ahjussi, do you know that I can only eat cake once a month? But it's okay! Because Eomma always buys two chocolate cakes for me on my birthday!"

Yejin's eyes widened at her daughter's confessions. She just looked away, avoiding Bin's look.

"Really, Ae-Rin?" Bin's heart softened a little. He didn't want to assume, but deep inside he knew that the other one was for him.

He's mad that he missed the first few years of her daughter's life, but he realized how hard it must have been for Yejin too. He caught Yejin's eyes and he offered a small smile.

BLAG!

A loud sound echoed across the room, startling Bin and Yejin. They immediately checked if their daughter was unharmed. Turned out, Bin's Textbook of Microbiology fell from the coffee table. Thankfully Ae-Rin didn't get hurt.

Yejin eyed the familiar book that reminded her so much of their days in medical school. When Ae-Rin struggled to pick up the book, it fell open again, face down. Bin helped Ae-Rin and picked up the book himself. Several papers stuck between its pages scattered all over the floor, and the three of them collected it. The papers were Bin's reviewers and notes— and Yejin could recognize that handwriting from a mile away.

"Omo! Eomma! Kyeopta (cute)!!!" Yejin and Bin looked at Ae-Rin who's now holding what seemed to be an old photo.

Ae-Rin showed the photo to Yejin and Bin, who upon seeing the photo, remained silent and unable to move.

It was a photo of them from 2006. Their first anniversary as a couple.

"Is this you, Ahjussi?" Ae-Rin asked, pointing to the man in the photo. "Were you Eomma's best friend?"

"Yes, Ae-Rin." Bin just smiled and said, "I'm your Eomma's best friend."

-

Thirty minutes had passed and Yejin and Bin still couldn't look at each other, obviously flustered by the photo they saw.

"Ae-Rin, come on. It's late."

Ae-Rin stood up, looking obviously tired and ready to hit the sack.

"Thank you for today, Dr. Hyun." Yejin said.

"Its nothing, Dr. Son. I had so much fun with my—" He stopped himself, "I had fun with Ae-Rin."

She just smiled. "Come on, Love." Yejin, Bin, and Ae-Rin cleaned up a bit, putting Ae-Rin's new dolls in her backpack, and covering the remaining cake to take it home. Ae-Rin just grabbed her mom's hand and when they were about to go, Bin called her.

"Dr. Son.." he said, "I can drive you home.. If you want. I'm leaving anyway."

Yejin just nodded. Seeing that Ae-Rin is little worn out, Bin offered to carry her and she obliged.

And so the three went out of his office and walked through the corridor of the hospital, with Bin carrying his daughter in his arms, and beside them is Yejin who held some of the paper bags they bought from the mall earlier.

Like a happy little family.

-

"Thank you, Bin." Yejin said, sitting in his passenger seat. She was hit by how things can change so fast—How 3 days ago she sat on this same seat and they talked about their simple nothings. And now they can't even talk comfortably look at each other. Plus the fact that their six-year old child lies on the backseat of the car.

Distance so small but hearts too far.

"You have no idea how happy I was today," he said and took a glance at her, "Thank you, too."

And no word escaped their lips once more. If it weren't for Lee Ji-Eun singing in the radio playing in the background, the silence would have been deafening.

When they reach their apartment building, Ae-Rin is running around. The child got her sugar fix and her power nap, how energetic can she get?

They reached Yejin's apartment and Bin put down all the 10 paper bags of clothes and toys that he bought for her.

"Ahjussi! Let's play some more!"

Yejin looked at Bin, feeling him out. She felt that she became a little overbearing today when she suggested to her daughter not to bother Bin— because she thought he might not be ready for them.. for all of this. However, she realized she needed to step back and let them have their time together.

If there's one thing that she learned from this ordeal, it's that always trust the person you love, especially on the love you both share — She should stop thinking that she and her daughter are a hindrance for Bin and his success. They never have been, and never will be.

She learned that the hard way.

And so Bin and Ae-Rin played until 11:00 that night. Bin also helped in cleaning her up and tucking her into the bed that she and Yejin shared.

"Are you leaving, ahjussi?" The child asked, while hugging her little mermaid doll. "Do you want to sleep here? You're tired, Ahjussi."

Bin didn't have the heart to tell Ae-Rin that he only live across from them. He just looked at Yejin and she nodded with a smile.

Bin sat on the bed when she saw Yejin grab a pillow and was about to go outside.

"Yejin, where are you going?" Bin asked.

"Oh.." Yejin replied, feeling a little awkward, "I'll sleep in the next room. I think you both need to spend some time with each other.."

"No," Bin trailed off, "Please stay."

-

Yejin lied on the left side of the Bed, while Bin was on the right. Their daughter (and Ariel) lied in the middle, sleeping soundly.

"Are you awake?" Bin asked.

Her eyes are closed but she's far from sleeping. She definitely cannot sleep, knowing that she's literally living the scenario that comes to her mind when she's asked of her dream life.

She didn't answer Bin. Mostly because she was scared that he is still mad at her, but also because she was feeling so regretful of her actions.

"...I want a family." She heard him say, and her tears fell down even if her eyes were tightly shut off. "I want this family. You, me, and Ae-Rin."

Yejin was hugging her child, her arms enveloping her as her hand laid on Ae-Rin's stomach. A minute later, she felt Bin move, extending his arm to hug their child and his hand landed on top of Yejin's.

She opened her tearful eyes and she saw him looking at her.

"I want this family too."

--
A/N:

Hiiiii guuuuys! I'm sorry for the late upload buuuut here it is! Hope you like Daddy Bin 😭❤️

BONUS:

2006

"HAPPY FIRST ANNIVERSARY!!" Yejin greeted Bin and he kissed her sweetly on the lips. Long.

After the sweet kiss they shared, she hit him lightly. "Ya, Bin! We're in a public place!"

"So what?" Bin said, as he kissed her again with a stronger intensity than what they shared earlier. "I love you. And it's our first anniversary! Do you know how lucky I am to have you?"

Yejin's heart fluttered at what he said. She just gave him small kisses all over his face and they shared a joyous laugh afterwards.

When they realized that a little girl was watching them, they hid their faces with Yejin's fuschia scarf. When their audience is gone, Yejin leaned on the railing, overlooking the vast bay. He went behind and hugged her, his chin resting on her shoulders.

"If ever, what would you like to name our first child?" Bin asked, and Yejin stopped for a moment to think.

"Hmmm.. Seo Yoon if it's a girl. Joon Yoo if it's a boy." Bin buried his face in her scent and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Yejin asked him back, "How about you?"

"I like the name Ae-Rin for a girl. I haven't thought of a name if it's a boy though." Bin said.

"So it's Seo Yoon or Ae-Rin if it's a girl, then."

"Let's play rock, paper, scissors. If I win, we'll name her Ae-Rin. If I lose, we will name her Seo Yoon." Bin suggested and Yejin was completely onboard with the idea. She faced him and balled her fist to play.

Rock, paper, scissors!

Yejin's rock beat Bin's scissors.

Yejin kissed Bin once again. "Seo Yoon, Ohhhhh!"

She sang, and Bin just laughed, "I still like the name Ae-Rin! When you're still asleep from delivery, I will tell them to put Ae-Rin in her birth certificate."

The couple just hugged each other, enjoying the view and their love for each other.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3K 790 55
Yoon Jin Ah was forced to went to Japan for her work as a marketing director of their company. Aside from this, she thinks that it's better to leave...
143K 7.5K 54
Marriage is the most wonderful bond between two loving souls who promise to live forever. However, it is not for the wedding of Son Ye Jin and Hyun B...
39.7K 2.2K 35
Hyun bin is a really really rich guy Yejin is just a simple girl nothing special But one day their mother made them do an arrange marriage. Both of...
25.9K 1.4K 41
Well by now my writing style is well developed and even I like what I wrote. Apparently over 19K do to. Thank you!!!šŸ’œšŸ’œšŸ’œšŸ’œšŸ’œšŸ’œšŸ’œ Jungkook is a ha...