Hear Me Sin

By UrbanQueen

A story of a man who takes care of his suicidal, anorexic wife; and a construction worker's relationship with... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty-Six

Chapter Eight

3.4K 278 349
By UrbanQueen

Compton, California

OMARI OPENED THE RICKETY GATE to his parents house and ascended the three steps. He waited a moment and then rang the doorbell. His parents owned the house for over fifty years and he knew it would be left for him in the will once they passed away. He was an only child so there were no assets to split. The door opened to his mother in an apron and a vicious heat coming from the kitchen's oven.

His mother was short, only five foot five so he had to bend down and give her a kiss. "Ma." He greeted with a mumble.

"Hey baby," she said running back to the kitchen to take the macaroni pie out before it burned. He followed her into the kitchen and saw Terrance, his childhood friend.

"Hell you doing here?" He mumbled, uninterestedly.

"I didn't want you to find out this way...but I've been seeing your mom." He laughed, he couldn't even keep a straight face.

Phara playfully smacked Terrance with the oven mitt in her hand and sucked her teeth, waving him off. "Boy don't listen to this fool."

Terrance was Omari's childhood friend, they lived next door to each other as kids. Instead of moving out when he turned into an adult, Terrance inherited his father's house after he passed away of leukemia. So he stayed next door to Omari's parents and moved his girlfriend Shea and their four year old daughter, Star in.

Their families had always been really close so Terrence still came over a lot. Omari's parents were considered senior citizens now that they were both in their mid sixties. Terrence's presence was great for when Omari's dad needed help around the house and couldn't exactly do it anymore because of old age. Especially when he couldn't be there to help himself.

"Where's Shea?" Omari asked.

"In the living room with Star." He said, using his thumb to point to the next room.

Omari didn't even bother asking about his dad because he knew he was probably in the garage, trying to fix something for no reason. His dad was restless and was always doing something. Even though he'd been retired for six years he couldn't stay still.

Omari nodded and the kitchen took on a long silent pause. Terrence got the message that Omari wanted to talk to his mother alone so he left to go out to the living room with his girlfriend and daughter. Phara rested her oven mitts on the counter and turned to look at her son. She had a concerned look on her face knowing he wasn't the type that was indulged in drama all the time. So something had to be wrong.

"What's wrong baby?"

"It's about Inola and the boys."

"Yeah, what about them?"

Omari's mother and father had always been his rock. He was a grown man and didn't always get his parents in his relationship issues because as an adult he also liked his privacy. But they would always be his parents and some things he could talk to them about that he couldn't with anyone else.

"Last night their biological father came by the house. Apparently Enrique called him. So the guy started disrespecting Inola for whatever reason, mocking her deafness and stuff, so I beat him up. Her son starts crying and saying things like he wants to leave with his dad and he wants his mom and dad together. Basically disregarding everything I ever did for him. I know it's his dad and I'm not tryna keep them from their father or anything, but in these four months I've been with them I haven't seen this man once. He's never around, so I feel like—"

"Aw baby, come here," Phara said hugging her son. She sighed, taking off her reading glasses. She rubbed his back for a couple of seconds before pulling away. "Mari, I warned you that this may happen, most kids will feel like this."

Phara liked Inola, she was a hardworking woman that took the best care of her children as she could. But realistically, she didn't want her son dating a woman that came with so much baggage. She told Omari from the beginning that he should find a different woman that had a similar background to him; but he was an adult and she couldn't control him. So when he still chose to pursue her, all Phara could do was support him.

She had warned him that children weren't always receptive to stepparents no matter how nice and caring they were. And even if they did warm up to them, he still had to be ready to go through the ups and downs and get ready to hear the insults when they were mad at him about him not being the biological father. He was only in the starting stages of their relationship, he had to know the dirty side of the coin would show at some point.

"I did tell you this is why you shouldn't do women with kids, these are how these children behave a lot of the time. But you know I'm not bias. So on the flip side look at it like this: I know you're hurt and you have a right to be, but on the other hand, he's nine, honey. Every little boy wants to know their biological father. You had your father so it's easy for you to say you wouldn't care as long as you had a good father figure. He may have delivered the message poorly, but I think you know that little boy cares about you. He's only a child, maybe you shouldn't take it so hard."

Omari nodded his head, hearing her perspective. But he still felt how he did. It only happened last night so the situation was still fresh. He knew it was wrong but as soon as Inola fell asleep last night, he left the house. Once she woke up, she'd been blowing his phone up, but he just let it ring out. He wasn't mad at her, but he just wanted some space.

"I hear you ma, thanks." He mumbled. He would ask Terrence for advice on it to get a different perspective, but his baby Star was his biological baby. If anything Omari felt like Terrence would just clown him for even playing stepdad. So he chose to just stick with the advice him mom had given him.

"Now 'head into the living room and go keep your friends company, I'll be ready with the food shortly." Phara instructed.

*****

Omari, Terrence, Shea and Omari's father Collin were playing a second round of Uno, while Phara was in the kitchen preparing plates.

Shea was actually Inola's friend which is what brought he and Inola closer to each other. The saying it's a small world proved to be true when Omari and Inola ran into Terrance and Shea on their second date. Omari and Inola were leaving a movie theater when they bumped into the two.

Shea was deaf like Inola; the difference was Inola was born deaf and Shea lost her hearing at fourteen. They'd gone to the same school together to learn sign language and been thick as thieves ever since. Shea was beautiful in every sense of the word. She had a nice smile, smooth chocolate skin and a really nice figure. She had a little pouch from being pregnant with her daughter, but other than that she was gorgeous.

She and Inola had known each other for eight years. Shea was the one that snapped and was ready to beat up anyone. While Inola was more calm, mousy and reserved. Omari only knew Shea because she was Inola's friend and Terrence was dating her, but they'd never been friends. She was just his boy's woman. So when it was revealed that all of them knew each other, Inola and Omari started to feel more comfortable around each other since they knew mutual people. They would often go on double dates with the two until she felt comfortable enough to be alone with him.

Omari had always felt Shea was a little annoying, though. She was one of those paranoid women who always thought Terrence was cheating and every time they got into drama, she tried to stop him from seeing his daughter; which was stupid considering they lived together.

Phara finally came in fetching plates back and forth until everyone's dish was in front of them. Star was asleep on the couch but was woken up by her mother. The cards were put away as everyone turned their attention on the food at the table. It was macaroni pie and steak. Usually dinners were quiet at the house since Omari's mother was the type that didn't really like talking at the dinner table; but she always made an exception when guests were here.

There was arguing going on over politics and government. Omari was the one who mainly had to do all the translating for everyone on what Shea was saying. Terrence also knew sign language but he wasn't good at it. He knew basics like greeting, directions, and numbers but most of his communicating was through apps or paper and pens. Dinner carried on for about thirty minutes longer then it should have thanks to the debates. Once eight o' clock reached Terrence, Shea and Star were getting ready to leave.

Omari chose to stay behind and help his parents clean up, so he went to see Terrence and Shea to the door.

"Thanks for coming over man, we gotta get up some time. Give me a call." Omari said giving his boy a one arm embrace.

Shea waved at him and it made him remember something.

"Hey, real quick...if you have anymore pregnancy tests you want to perform at Inola's, can you wrap the tests up in tissue before you put them in the garbage next time? You left them sticking up in the can." He mouthed and signed at the same time.

Shea opened her mouth but hesitated, unlike Inola she could actually speak and when she opened her mouth she didn't sound deaf. But no words formed because she was shocked, causing Terrence to yank her arm and look at her crazy. He spaced both his arms out and glared at her as if to say 'what the hell.'

Omari didn't even think to pull her to the side, forgetting that Terrance was standing right there. Or think that he may have not known about his girl being pregnant. But they had no clue her hesitation wasn't from being caught, she just didn't know what he was talking about.

Your pregnant? Terrence questioned in sign.

No! Shea signed back animatedly.

So what pregnancy test?

I don't know!

Terrence gave her a hard look and she began talking, swearing and telling him that it didn't belong to her and she had no clue what Omari was talking about. Omari knew she was telling the truth once she swore to God. Shea was one of those people who never believed in saying that, so for her to let that leave her mouth meant she was dead serious.

It was also at that point that everyone realized what was really going on. It was Inola's pregnancy test. In an effort to save herself, she had blamed her friend. Because Omari and Shea didn't speak, she didn't expect him to talk to her about it. Her plan had backfired since she hadn't explained to her girl what the deal was. So to pull herself out of the hot water Inola almost put her in, Shea had to tell the truth.

This was his issue, not their's.

"I'm sorry Omari but that's not mine." Shea spoke, putting her hands up. She then glared at her boyfriend for even getting an attitude with her in the first place.

Shea walked off holding Star, followed by Terrence while Omari was left standing there feeling dumb. Now the issue with the boys' and their father seemed to be insignificant compared to the shit that was going on now. He couldn't believe that Inola had lied to him. He still couldn't be sure that it was her's, but her friend didn't look like she was faking it.

Omari shut his eyes tight and willed himself to calm down. Just then he saw Inola calling his phone again, but he turned the power off. He was going to go over there and talk to her face to face. He knew it was a bad idea and just hoped that he didn't end up killing her when saw her.

******

The tumultuous banging made the neighbor from two houses down, Ms. Sung-Wu peek out her curtains. Omari's jaws were clamped down like a pitbull as he hammered on the door nonstop until it was opened. Enrique stood before him and Omari stepped inside without even so much as a good night.

"Go to your room." He said in a tone that clearly showed it wasn't a suggestion.

Enrique became nervous knowing something was wrong. One thing he liked about Omari the most was that he was never mean to him and tried to boss him around just because he was their mom's boyfriend. So for him to give an order meant he was pissed off.

Enrique ran to his room without another word and closed the door. Inola was in the kitchen on her phone, smiling at funny animal videos on YouTube. She hadn't even seen her son walk past her to answer the door. Omari walked over and spun her around, making her back hit the counter. He did it so fast she didn't even have time to process what was going on. She was just shocked to see him, then happy, thinking he was finally over the whole Sancho thing. Or at least ready to talk about it, but the look on his face said otherwise.

"That pregnancy test from a couple weeks ago, wasn't your friend's. I had dinner with Terrence and Shea tonight at my parent's and it came up. You almost made Terrance explode on her because he thought it was her's, so she had to clear her name. It's not her shit, so that means it was yours." Omari stated, working his fingers.

Inola's mouth felt like sandpaper, I don't know what you're talking about.

"Are you pregnant right now?" He asked, his fingers moving fluidly

No.

"So it means you had an abortion. Because the test was yours. I know the truth, there's no use in lying. She swore it wasn't her's. So it could've only been yours."

She wasn't saying anything and it was pissing him off more and more as the seconds ticked by.

"I'm gonna ask you one more time...you aborted my child, Inola?" Omari spoke and signed, his voice shaking in anger.

Inola's arms were folded and her head was turned to the side, blinking profusely. She wasn't answering but her silence was all the confirmation he needed. Omari grabbed her face so roughly she lost her balance on one leg, but the fact he had a grip on her is what stopped her from falling over. Inola in shock shoved his chest but he didn't even budge. Omari's hand instead slid around her throat, but he wasn't squeezing.

"Why the fuck would you kill my seed?! Huh?" He asked.

I didn't want it, Inola signed back, finally pushing him away from her. Don't put your fucking hands on me Omari!

"You killed my baby because you didn't want it?" He laughed in disbelief. "Did you talk to me about it first? Did you even tell me you were pregnant? Who the fuck gave you the right to take my child from me?"

Inola wasn't trying to blame him, she even knew he had a right to be upset, she understood this. But it was the way he was handling it, the way he was talking to her. He couldn't even have respect enough to try and calm down and let them talk about it like adults. She was scared and hurt because for the four months they've known each other, he's been so gentle and great. In this moment he was like a whole other person.

Inola's face showed she was panicked about something, but she was only trying to keep the peace. Mari please let's just talk about it, let's go in my room. She said grabbing his hand as she tried to lead him.

He yanked his hand away from her, pulling her chin up toward him with enough force to give her whiplash, the look in his eyes were deadly. His signs were quick now, almost unreadable because he was so angry, his hand movements weren't coming out as neat; but she was still able to make them out. "This is what I am in this house? A fucking joke?!"

Omari please calm down! The boys are in the back.

"I don't give a fuck!" He roared, "This is what I am for this family? Just a money outlet? A cash cow for you and your kids? Huh? Tell me, I'm just the clown, the sucker that you use? So you don't give a fuck about me?"

No Mari no! Don't say that! It's not like that. I just couldn't deal with another child right now. I have too much going on. Tears ran down her face, dripping onto her t-shirt. It was an old t-shirt she got from her diner with the company's name and number on it. All employees got them for free. They weren't uniform, just complimentary wear.

Omari let out a loud dramatic sigh and walked away from her. Inola watched, still gripping the counter he had basically slammed her against when he walked through the door. When he got to one end of the house he turned back around and walked back toward her, his voice low and his signs much slower to match the sudden calmness of his voice. "You know what the funny thing is? I asked you on that night if the test was yours. I asked like three or four times and you had the nerve to get an attitude with me for even asking. You even had me apologize like I was wrong and this whole time you knew what you did."

Inola sniffled, wiping her eyes.

"I would have never found out and you would have never told me. Because you never expected this to come out."

Inola was slightly afraid of him in this moment which was a weird feeling for her to feel from Omari. He was usually so protective and caring over her. She honestly felt she couldn't fully be at fault, she didn't consult with him but it's not like it was her fault she got pregnant. They used condoms each and every time and still it didn't work. She took the rights steps and precautions and it didn't work in her favor, so she felt her abortion was definitely justified.

Mari don't act like we were having sex with no protection. We used condoms and I even take the shot occasionally, so if I still get pregnant what do you want me to do?

"Come to me about it!" He shouted and explained with his hands. Inola threw her hands up in defeat, what was there to talk about when she did her part?

Omari broke eye contact with her and headed toward the door, but she ran up behind him, grabbing his coat. He yanked away from her causing her to start crying. He was trying to open the door but she had thrown herself in front of it, to keep him from opening it.

Omari began to wrestle with her but she was fighting him back. He stopped knowing he was about to get really rough with her, so he took a moment to calm himself down. When he felt he was calm enough he looked down at her. "Move." He spoke, not caring if she wasn't able to read his lips or not.

He could tell she did though because in response she shook her head from side to side, guarding the door as tears fell down her smooth cheeks. The look in Omari's eyes were dangerous and his anger immediately began to flare. He chuckled, speaking lowly as he signed to her. "You really don't want me to cause a scene in front your kids right now, do you?"

Speak to me! She signed, frustratedly.

"There's nothing to speak about, we're through." His fingers and mouth explained.

No we're not. Omari we're a family, don't walk out on us.

He sucked his teeth, it was like she was really trying to bring out the other side of him. Now they were a family? "Man, move." He signed again, with the raise of his voice.

Inola shook her head from side to side. Omari grabbed her and fetched her over to the couch as she fought against him, crying even harder. As soon as he dropped her on the couch, he walked back over to the door. But when he opened it, she raced over and slammed it back. He lost his temper and punched the space next to her head.

"Move!" He roared.

The atmosphere was intense and heated, as both were filled with emotion.

"Mommy."

Both of them turned around to see Enrique standing there with an action figure in his hand. He was scared out of his mind, thinking another fight was taking place like the one with Omari and his father.

"Omari please don't hurt my mommy." Enrique said with tears glistening in his eyes. He'd been in the back room cuddled up with Joshua, covering his ears but he couldn't take it anymore.

Omari took a deep breath, none of them moving from the position they were in. Inola was still crying, standing in front of the door but she couldn't see her son because Omari's body was blocking her and she was glad for that. Looking at the small child, Omari cleared his throat.

"Everything's okay champ, I'm not hurting your mom. I didn't mean to yell, I'm sorry. Just give me a minute, okay?"

Enrique quickly nodded and fled to the back, closing his room door again. Omari turned back toward Inola. "I just wanna go, please move." He mumbled, signing.

She was crying so much she couldn't even control her breathing. "Mawi..." she cried, unable to pronounce words properly in a verbal state, "pwease...top. I...wub...you."

Omari clenched his jaws and looked away, he would never tell her but that was his weakness when it came to her. Not her tears, but her voice. For some reason it melted his heart when she spoke. He didn't dare look at her knowing he would break, even when she put her hands on his face trying to turn his attention on her.

"Look...ah...me. Mawi...I...wub... you...pwease...don't go." She was crying so hard she was hyperventilating. "I sorry."

He caved in as he looked at her, being met with a tear stricken face. He kept a cold expression but knew inside his heart it's not how he really felt. He couldn't bring himself to hate her, he was just hurt and disappointed.

"Say...you...wub...me."

He looked down at the floor for a while before looking at her. "Why'd you lie to me?"

Inola just hugged him, burying her face in his shirt as she cried. They stayed like that for a while. He let her cry on him but didn't dare touch her. After five minutes he tapped her shoulder, making her look up at him.

He made a head motion toward the couch and she nodded, wiping her eyes as she walked over to the couch with him behind her. They took a seat and Omari made sure to put some distance between them. Inola sat with her feet tucked underneath her, while he sat leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, turning his head to the side to look at her.

I'm going through a lot Omari, you know that. Enrique and Joshua are a lot of work and their father is no help. Yes, you help me but your not their biological father so your not obligated to help and that was partially the reason it scared me into doing it. Because I don't have the financial background to support what was about to be three kids.

"I do. I make good money, I can even give you more than what I do on a weekly basis. You refuse the help. So don't use finances as an excuse for aborting my child. You wanted too because you were being selfish." He said as his fingers moved a mile a minute.

I refuse the help because I want to be able to do for myself. I'm already deaf, I don't want people to look at that and think I'm also helpless. I am not being selfish Omari you have to understand. I have two kids already. What if I got pregnant with the third one and you choose to walk away like Sancho did? Then what? I'd be stuck with three kids. I don't want to be that woman. Inola signed.

Omari narrowed his eyes, trying to decipher if she was serious. "And why do you think I would walk away from my own child? If I take care of two children that aren't mine, why the fuck would I walk away from my own? You really need to stop playing with me because your about to piss me off. That's not the real reason you did what you did."

Inola's lips trembled, her slender fingers moving precisely. I was scared for Joshua and Enrique. I see the bond you have with them and how much you love them and how much they love you. If I had another child, I was afraid you would become infatuated with the baby because it was yours and slowly stop caring for them. A lot of guys have great relationships with their partners kids until they get their own biological one. Then the biological child starts to get better treatment and the others feel isolated. I felt sooner or later the baby would ruin our relationship.

Omari licked his lips and just continued to listen.

And I also did it because I was ashamed. I didn't think you'd want it so I didn't even bring it up.

"How could you not think I'd want it? We've discussed kids before, I told you I wanted children." He signed to her.

Yes, but I didn't think it was with me. Enrique and Joshua are not yours so you could walk away. But I felt like you'd be embarrassed to have a baby with me. I sometimes still think your ashamed of me because I'm deaf and not as pretty as other girls and because Joshua is mentally challenged and disabled.

Omari turned away from her and closed his eyes, letting the sounds of her soft weeping fill the room. He sat still just trying to see things from her point of view. He got that raising a child took two and on her half she wouldn't be able to hold up her part because her time and money weren't there. He also could see from her past experience, she was scared to be abandoned and have to be left alone to raise another child she felt soon from now he wouldn't want. He even understood why she would think if he got his own biological child, he'd stop caring for her other two because it was common. He even understood how she could think she wasn't good enough to have his child and that he was embarrassed by it because of her disability.

What he didn't understand was how she could associate all of that stuff with him. He wasn't that type of man. He'd never be embarrassed of her, or to have a child with her. He hasn't ever hid her or her kids from anybody. He loved all three of them regardless and whether he had a biological child with her, that wouldn't change. If anything he felt it would strengthen them because then they'd all really be a family.

Omari gently pried her hands away from her face, placing a passionate kiss on her lips. He genuinely wanted to make her feel better. Inola shuttered as a few tears slipped out her eyes, dripping onto his skin and running down his chin. He missed her touch, her smell and just her in general. He kissed her tears away, softly brushing her cheek.

"I could never and would never be embarrassed of you. And I'd never judge you because you have kids already. I'd never treat those two any different than if we had our own. And if you felt that way you should have spoken to me about it, not run and go make a decision on a situation you didn't create on your own."

Inola looked away, wiping her tears but Omari turned her face back toward him, he wanted her to see and understand him.

"And just to show you I'm serious about you and the boys, it can be just about us for a while. We don't need a child right now. We can focus on us and build later. Give me a chance to show you guys I care about you." He said to her as he signed.

Inola agreed and he leaned in and hugged her, allowing her to cry on him. He kissed her cheek and rubbed the top of her buzz cut. They were silent as she laid cuddled up to him, both of them marinating in their thoughts. Once the sniffling began, signaling the tears slowed down, Omari drew his head back to look at her.

"Aye, don't you ever do something like this again. Your not the only one who's involved in a decision like that. The way I feel right now is so messed up. You ever do something so outright disrespectful like that and imma go fucking crazy, you hear me?"

Yes. She signed, nodding her head profusely.

Inola hesitated but put her hands up to start signing to him, but he just chuckled and nodded his head, confirming what he already knew she was going to ask. Which was if he still wanted to be with her. Inola smiled, lighting his whole world up. She put one finger up, signaling she'd be back. She went toward the back of the apartment and came back a short while later with a small rectangle shaped box.

She sat down next to him and presented the box to him. She was going to give it to him anyway before this whole thing happened. It was suppose to be her makeup give right after the whole Sancho thing; but now was the perfect time. Omari placed his hand over the box and pushed her hand down. He didn't want a present, he just wanted to move forward.

Inola was persistent though, she showed him the box again. Open it. She signed.

Omari took the box from her and lifted the cover. It was a single gold key. He looked at her and she pointed to the front door. It was a key to the house. She loved him and was ready for the next step in their relationship. Omari smiled, he knew how cautious she was about her heart and her kids. The key basically told him she trusted him with both. All he could do was smile like a little boy.

Inola got on all fours in the couch, studying his face with love in her eyes before she pressed her lips against his. They kissed for a couple of seconds before Inola groaned. "I wub you." She said against his lips.

"I love you too, baby." He whispered. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

762K 29.4K 64
In which a girl saves a boy after getting hit by a car; and the boy saves the girl from her own mind ?W A R N I N G? CONTAINS Triggers • Some cursing...
158 2 2
this is just a work of fiction. an insight as to what its like in my head, the thoughts that i conceive. this contains mature content.
118 7 10
So this is my first time writing an actual story ok so give me some credit, also it's based off a person's real life experience they have me permissi...
219 29 12
This is a personal journal I've wanted to share the world. Knowing there are million likes me who've dealt with any trauma ...