For Queen and Captain {|Hetal...

By SugarN_Spice

"Lad, there are three people you look after. The Queen, your Captain, and yourself. You always come last, boy... More

Foreword
A young boy in London
A new rival
A fool's threat, and a fool's warning
Thou shalt not frame thy brother
One (not-so)big happy-ish (jailed) family
Liars never prosper... most of the time
A fine day to be the friend of Arthur Kirkland
Secret surpises
Mind = Blown
A memorable man, indeed
The finest ship in the British Isles
Family pride

I swear I'm legal, officer

73 7 4
By SugarN_Spice

Arthur was feeling very smug. Once they had reached the snob shoppe ((Which is literally the original term for a shoemaker, crazy I know, but google it, you'll see.)) it had been fairly simple to find a pair of well-fitting boots for each of the boys, the snob's eyes wide as Allistor paid in gold, obviously not what the man was used to.

Arthur was thinking about how wonderful his uncle was when he bumpd into someone.

"Oh, sorry!" He froze as he saw whom he had bumped into, his eyes travelling a few feet upward until they reached the polieman's face, a heavy brooding mask of irritation.

"Out of my way, boy!" Arthur cowered a bit as a hand rose against him and paused as a familiar iron grip grabbed the man's wrist.

"Ye will not lay a hand on my nephew, officer." Arthur stared with wide eyes as his uncle met the man's dark eyes. The officer was at least five centemeteres taller than Allistor, but the fiesty Scot didn't waver in his gaze, Arthur slightly unnerved by the staredown.

"You.... I remember you!" Allistor's face slowly split into a. unrepentant grin.

"I just have one of those faces, it's very common to--" The man cut him off, shaking his head. "Nay, they had your poster in the station for years! You're a bloody pirate!" Allistor scoffed. "Please watch the language in front of the boys, please." The man growled, yanking his wrist from Allistor's grip, though it was obvious that Allistor let him go willingly. "Nay, you're a filthy pirate! You've probably kidnapped these boys!" Arthur panicked slightly as the man went for the pistol in his belt and stepped between them quickly.

"Actually, my good man, we've just recived our Letters of Mark, making us privateers, legally speaking, so if you lay a hand on a single hair on his, my or the frog, here's head, you'll be assualting a member of Her Majesty's Navy, and you can rest assured that charges will be pressed, in that occasion."

He was stared at by both of the men, Allistor's face set in a grin.

"Ah, you're a Kirkland to be proud of, lad! Maybe LaFluer didn't botch up too badly, after all!" The officer only scowled, glancing between Allistor and Arthur. "Then I demand to see your Letters of Mark." Allistor grinned, reaching into a deep pocket in his coat and producing the fold of papers, flicking it out and holding it at eye level to the man, who scowled at the signature on the bottom.

"By God, you're lucky this time. If I ever see your face again, in any sort of suspicious affairs, I'll put an end to you, Allistor Kirkland. On my mother's life." Allistor just smiled warly, folding the papers neatly and tucking them into the safety of his deep pockets. "Well met, Andrew. Come along boys, the tide is coming in, and we'll be off!" He ushered the boys away from the man, waving behind them happily as he hurried them, going even faster than his usual breakneck pace. Arthur had to wonder.

"Uncle, who was he? Why does he want to kill you?" Francis laughed. "More importantly, where did Angelterre get all of his fancy words?" Allistor laughed merrily at the questions as the coast came into sight, along with a cool breeze that carried a scent of salt and fish.

"All in good time, lads. All in good time. Now, we must step lively so's we don't lose valuable time!" He promptly snatched the boys up, one under each arm as he ran down the incline to the docks, both boys laughing as he made a sharp turn, almost falling off the dock as he sprinted for the ramp up to his ship, Arthur getting an eyeful of the scripty 'Queen Anne's Revenge' painted expertly on the side of the ship as they hurtled aboard, Allistor setting the boys down, Arthur noticing that the ship was getting a bit higher every second as Allistor yelled at the top of his lungs, voice carrying over the ship easily.

"All hands, weigh anchor! Secure the mainsails and release the topsails, Ollie to the wheel!" Arthur watched as aside from specific instructions, everything was carried out in exact metholodical order, every man knowing his exact job and how to do it as the ramp was pulled in and stowed away below decks. Arthur started a bit as the ship started moving away from land slowly. He squinted as a group of people came running down the docks, too far away to see clearly, but approaching quickly.

"Uncle, who's... Oh." He could see the officer's uniforms clearly as they were forced to stop at the edge of the dock, the ship already a good ten meteres away as a beast of a man, who Arthur recognized as the 'Andrew' fellow, stood shaking his fist in fury, screaming obcenities at the ship.

Even Allistor gaped at some of the things shouted, quickly clapping his hands over Arthur's ears, cutting off the stream of profanities that could get to the boy's ears.

"Francis, cover your ears, lad! Oi, Andrew, there's young'uns, here, control your mouth! Dear Mary, you've no shame, have you?! I'm legal, you damn fool!" It was a few moments before Allistor removed his hands. Arthur looked up to find his uncle shaking his head in isbelief, a grin making it's way across his face as they drifted farther and father, the meteres between them and land only gaining.

"I'm going to have to use some of that little spiel! Very creative, but it needs to be toned down a bit..." Arthur nodded, having heard more than enough before his uncle had covered his ears. "Yea, indeed.... Can we get some answers, now, uncle?" Francis smugly noted the 'we' as Allistor nodded.

"Safely away from shore, yea. It'll be a minute, though. I need to double-check conditions, which you, Arthur, will be learning how to do." Arthur blinked. "Why?"

"You're a Kirkland, lad! Kirklands in this family have beeen Captains for the last eight generations!" Arthur smiled, eyes lighting up. "You'll train me to be Captain?!" Allistor nodded, smiling warmly at the boy, so full of potential. "Yea, as well as enough about Piloting to get you by should the pilot fall sick, if you ever take one. It's generally thought in our profession that it's better to pilot your own ship thaan to trust another man to steer you correctly."

"What do you mean?" Allistor sighed, suddenly looking older as the smile dropped, leaving the twenty-nine year old sitting there, not a hint of the exuberant youth in his eyes that was present a moment ago. He looked almost... sad.

"Lad, people are much too happy to sell you out. Anyone will do it for the right amount of coin. That, my dear boy..." Arthur watched in facination as the grin came back, Allistor looking years younger with the gleam in his eyes again.

"That be why ye always hand-pick the crew, and keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Better to be safe than sorry." Allistor clapped Arthur on the shoulder, looking at Francis, who was being pestered by Finn about the knotting in the top rows of the rigging.

"Finn, Francis is groundbound, now, my orders. both feet on the ship. Wouldn't do to have him get injured when Arthur would worry himself sick," The Scot winked at a very sullen Arthur.

"Oh, do go shove it." Allistor laughed and shook his head. "Lad, you're wonderful. Just sublime." Arthur smiled proudly as Allistor looked between Francis and he.

"Now, what to do for this fine lad..." Francis waited patiently, smiling a bit as Allistor nodded. "I'll equip you with Fred!" The man grinned as he glanced around, waving an arm and beckoning a man over.

"Fred, you'll be training Francis, here!" A very tan man clad in a sweat-stained once-white shirt and tattered trousers came over. He threw Allistor a quick salute. "Yea, Cap'n, I'll do me best at the job." Allistor nodded firmly, beckoning the boys to stay whilst he instructed Fred quietly a few meteres away.

"He's weird...." Arthur scoffed at the French boy's statement. "Nay, he's just a hard worker, that's all, I'm sure." Francis shook his head. "I don't like him." Arthur snorted.

"Nothing to hate about him. He must be experienced, or else uncle wouldn't have put you with him, correct?" Francis looked grim and slightly queasy. "If you say so, Angelterre....." Arthur realized just how much Francis trusted him, that even if he honestly didn't like someone, hhe would be around them if Arthur said it was ok.

Arthur started to doubt his decision suddenly. He nodded to Frncis slowly. "Actually, you know what? I'll see if uncle will put you with someone you're comfortable with, alright? I'm nice like that." Francis let out a visible breath of reliefe, looking over the edge of the railing at the now-distant  shore of Southampton.

"Merci, Angelterre. I appreciate it very much." Arthur nodded sa his uncle and the Fred man came back towards them. Arthur caught Allistor's sleeve quickly. "Oi, before the frog goes anywhere, we need to talk, uncle." Allistor gave the boy a long look.

"Aye, I can deal with that for a moment. About your business, Fred, I'll see if I can send Francis to meet you in a minute." The man nodded silently and loped off, leaving Allistor and the boys. He knelt down so's to be on their level.

"What is it, lads?" Arthur glanced at Francis, who was looking at his feet. "Uncle, Francis and I have come to the conclusion that due to a variety of reason, he should be put with Finn and Ollie." Allistor nodded slowly.  "Can I get some of the points used in this conclusion, lad?" Arthur and Francis glanced at each other. Francis gave a nod and Arthur sighed.

"This Fred man rubs Francis the wrong way, sir. And I think it's be better if he was taught by someone you taught anyway, right? Surely they're more than competent." Allistor squinted at Arthur, catching on and nodding.

"Aye, that could be arrainged, I suppose..." Arthur smiled at having sucessfully fulfilled his friend-- the frog's wishes.

"Thank you, uncle. It's truely appreciated." Allistor winked with a grin. "You owe me one, though, lad." Arthur tried not to panic a bit. Surely his uncle wouldn't ask him to do anything too weird or violent...

"So, Francis, the Fergusons should be at the bow. Tell them I said they're to give you full briefings on all modems of ship operation, and that I'd appreciate it if Ollie would stop setting the wheel on fire. The damn thing broke in my hands last time..." Francis nodded and scampered off, weaving expertly between the sailors toward the front of the ship.

Arthur looked at his uncle as the redhead's hand landed on his shoulder.

"And you... You get private lessons, starting now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 123 15
When England decides to take a vacation in California, he doesn't realize just how much his life is about to change. He finds his soul mate in a youn...
725 35 26
You are a country, you have responsibilities and you have your moments. What happen if you are met with the guy that you have always had a crush on a...
9.9K 813 29
Arthur Kirkland, a 23 year old man, lives in a small town and works at his family bar. Next door to his home he has an old friend, who is three years...
7.5K 227 14
The pirate stretched out his arm, offering his hand to you. You were afraid of what was going to happen to you but you knew you had no choice. You ag...