The Fight for the Black Gold

By Natalie-MacPherson

A Blake Barnes Series #2 She had gotten herself head over heels in this and now she couldn't turn back. Rowan... More

Characters
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve

Chapter Seven

26 0 0
By Natalie-MacPherson

"What-," the man's wife stared at the redhead girl and the stranger in her living room. "Jon!"

"Jay... Jay come on," Blake pulled the jacket off of him. "Jay, talk to me buddy. Come on, I need you now. Don't give up on me."

"Sweetheart," the Scottish Professor pointed to her. "This man needs help, get me the things from the room. Ya tend to her."

"Yes," she pulled Blake back from Jay. "My husband is going to take care of him. I think it would be better if I check you."

"Just give me a hand and move him to the bathroom," Jon nodded to his wife who helped him carry Jay into their small bathroom. Blake stood there, unaware of what she should do. For once in her life she felt like she was useless, terrified because she didn't know what she was suppose to do. The man's wife ran about the house getting what her husband asked her to grab for him and finally, she came for Blake, holding out fresh clothes.

"I warmed them for you," she stated. "Get out of your wet clothes."

Nodding, Blake grabbed them.

"I'm Emma. You are?"

"Blake...Blake Barnes."

"Nice to met you," Emma smiled warmly. "Go get changed, I'll make some tea to warm you up."

Blake walked out wearing some of Emma's clothing, moving slowly when she heard Jon talking to the unresponsive Jay. Emma cleared her throat, asking her to get into the kitchen.

"Sit down," Emma pointed as she grabbed Blake's bruised fists. "Did you punch the ice?"

"I didn't know what else to do," Blake whispered. "I panicked."

"You'll be fine," Emma laughed as she held out a homemade remedy. "This gets rid of bruises awfully quick but let me warn you. It smells. My husband always wraps it so it doesn't smell. I don't see why he does it, there isn't much of a difference in how he normally smells like."

Blake laughed at her joke, watching the lady rub the paste over her hands. The wraps felt rather cool on her skin, it felt nice against her throbbing hands.

"He should be okay," Jon announced as he walked out of the bedroom this time, holding Jay's wet clothes. "I'll just stay up to keep an eye on him, to stay on the safe side."

"No," Blake shook her head at him. "I can keep an eye on him, you two have done plenty for us. Thank you."

Emma smiled at her, patting her arm as she tucked her first aid kit away. Jon inhaled deeply, examining the girl in front of him.

"What were you two doing way out here in the middle of the storm?"

"Professor Peterson," Blake gently dug for the notebook in the pocket.

"Yes?"

"Sabrina asked me to bring you this," Blake extended the red notebook towards him. Jon grabbed the notebook from her hands, looking down at the beaten little book. It sure did seem to have a long journey.

"Thank you," he smiled. "How about we get this all settled with tomorrow? I think we all need a good night rest."

"I left you some blankets and pillows for you," Emma pointed. "Have a good night."

"Thank you," Blake smiled at her, looking down at her bandaged hands.

Blake yearned to hear Rowan's voice on the other end of the phone but she couldn't. She needed to keep him safe and by not talking to him, it was her only way.

She sat on the one person sofa across from the bed where Jay laid upon. His breathing was short and rapid as if he still wasn't warm enough. Moaning softly, he turned to look at Blake. He forced a smile before closing his eyes again.

"Jay," Blake leaned forward, smirking. "Are you telling me you're a thief and an American this entire time?"

"No," the man decided to drop the American accent. He held a smile to his lips when he revealed his true identity to her. Blake smiled herself, feeling a tease coming to her.

"Then?" Blake laughed.

"My name is Ford McIntyre. I work for the police... the MI6," he nodded, looking over at her. "I'm an undercover officer."

"Ford McIntyre... are you telling me you are the same Ford McIntyre I met that day in Ireland? And you couldn't tell me that from the beginning?"

"It would have jeopardized the mission. Besides, with all the dirty officers it was hard to know who to trust out there. Yet alone a crazy redhead," his Scottish accent rang.

Rolling her eyes in amusement, Blake covered him with the blanket Emma had lent her.

"Good night," Blake whispered. "Ford."

The bedroom was still dark when Blake opened her eyes. It must have been just a couple of minutes that she dozed off. Blake sat up to feel the blanket she had placed on Ford on herself. The bed was empty and already made.

"What," Blake muttered as she rushed outside to the smell of bacon. "Emma!"

"Morning," she laughed. "Don't worry, we kept an eye on him for you. We knew you wouldn't be able to, you looked exhausted the night before. Bedsides, right now it's breakfast. Do you mind giving me a hand?"

"Um," Blake scratched her head. "Yeah...yeah, I'll help you."

"You two seemed to peaceful," Emma flipped the pancake. "We didn't want to wake you. Your husband seemed very urged to find out about those formulas."

"Oh he is, is he," Blake thought. She couldn't help believe that he could run off with the formulas any moment. After all he was an undercover cop with a role, now that she knew he was an MI6 all she could think of was him working for Derrick this entire time...he could be playing her, in order to escape with the formula. Could he really be that selfish?

"He's a genuine man," Emma kept talking. "You two make a lovely couple... oh there they come!"

Blake watched Ford walk with the Professor. He looked very different from all the other times she saw him. Almost reminded her of the first time she laid eyes on him. Shy looking, with honest eyes. He wore a green hoodie and his hair wasn't combed up like it always was, rather it flopped over his forehead. He looked like a teenager. Ford handed the notebook back to the Professor, hearing every word he was saying to him.

"Morning ladies," Jon smiled at his wife, giving her a peck in the cheek.

"Sweetheart," Ford walked up to Blake with a goofy grin on his face. "Good mornin'."

"Good morning to you," she narrowed her eyes at him. "Why are you all cheery?"

"Me? A don't know," he shrugged but that smile never leaving his face. "Ya actually cookin'?"

"I can cook, thank you very much," Blake laughed. "You underestimate me."

"A've been doin' that a lot lately...haven't I," Ford smiled as he looked over at Jon and Emma who were deep in conversation. "A told him about us. He knows about you getting the notebook and well-."

"You tell them we are still married? You're lying you know."

"I might have not said one or two things that don't exactly matter right now."

"Ford!"

"Shh, they still think I'm Jay."

"No they don't. You told him, why else are you speaking in your accent?"

"You're annoyingly accurate, ya know that?"

"Yeah, I've been told," Blake smiled as she placed the bacon on the plate. "Go wash up. We should be eating soon."

"These formulas are amazing but the E-23 is revolutionary by itself. You're growing the oil itself! No more need to dig wells or drill holes into the earth anymore! This can just be added with one drop and you're done," Jon pointed out. "It looks like she's been writing these things for years."

"What can you say about Formula X," Blake asked.

"That one is fairly simple," Jon nodded. "All it is, is a chemical that counteracts the explosion. I'm already halfway done with it. The Formula E-23 will take me a little while longer. This is something completely new."

"Professor," Blake leaned forward. "We may not have enough time. I know Ford told you about what's been going on with us, it's a matter of time they come knocking at your door. They think we are dead so we have that advantage."

"What do you suggest we do," Emma grabbed Jon's hand.

"Come with us," Ford nodded. "It's the only way to keep ya two safe."

"Wyoming," Blake flashed a smile. "We can go to Wyoming!"

"How is putting your family in danger a great idea," Ford glanced over at her. "We can't take them to Wyoming."

"Oh, but yes we can. Nolan and Ian would do anything to help when I need it," Blake shook her head at Ford. "They are my brothers, of course they'll help. Besides, the roads are nearly inaccessible this time of year. No one would be able to make it to the ranch."

"How do you expect us to get there," Jon stated the obvious.

"You sir, underestimate me," Blake raised an eyebrow.

"This still- is soggy," Ford pulled out Blake's sketchbook from her backpack. They were trying to see what they could salvage from the backpack but besides the tools she had, nothing seemed to have survived the cold water from the night before.

Standing still for a moment, Blake extended her hand. Ford looked back at her, wondering why the gesture.

"The phone."

"What phone?"

"Don't play coy with me. The phone you've been using this entire to listen into the Professor's room and Derrick's."

"How in the world did ya know about that," Ford exclaimed as he handed her the one prized possession he cared for. "It could have frozen in the water for all ya knew."

"You wouldn't let anything happen to this thing," Blake shook her head as she dialed Nolan. "You better tell me what's going on with Derrick. We are in this together, 50-50. No secrets."

"I will," Ford chuckled as he emptied the entire backpack.

"Nolan? Nolan," Blake called out on the phone.

"Blake? Oh thank goodness it's you. Are you okay? We haven't heard from you- you had us worried?"

"What why? Did Rowan call you?"

"No. You never miss your Friday phone call, even if you were dying. I knew something wasn't right. Where are you?"

"I'm on my way home but Nolan, I need you to get the barn prepped like it's a lab. I have a Professor coming with me to work on something's- I need you guys to get out of there when you do finish it."

"Blake...please don't tell me you're involved with this whole oil fiasco in London."

"What? What's going on?"

"The Secretary is accusing the Prime Minister of their oil problems. This is getting real nasty. I've never seen London under heavy protest like that, it looks completely gridlocked."

"Yeah well... I'm part of that fiasco. Can you do what I asked?"

"Yeah of course I can. Ian is asking if you used an encrypted phone?"

"Yeah, this phone ought to be," Blake looked at it. "A friend of mine is very sneaky. Thank you, you guys. I love both of you."

"We love you too, be careful. Route 46 is snowed in, I'd suggest you take the back road to get to the ranch."

"I will, bye," Blake hung up, handing the phone back to Ford. He patted the phone, looking over at her again. "What?"

"I mean- A know they aren't your blood family but it's nice seein' how people can still treat each other like family. There's not even an adoption between the three of you, ya three just chose to be a family. It's nice."

"You're getting soft on me Peril," Blake raised an eyebrow with a mischievous look in her eye. "Derrick is accusing the P.M for the oil shortages... why would he accuse the P.M and not someone else, like the Queen?"

"Simple. He wants the power," Ford shrugged. "This could be to him a stepping stone into getting the P.M position. Imagine if they were to declare the P.M guilty, wouldn't they hail Derrick like the hero and with no doubt about it, make him P.M."

"So, this isn't just about the money..."

"It's about the power."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

439K 17.4K 43
Highest ranked- #10 in action 2/16/2017 A promotion. That's all I wanted. I didn't want to run for my life. I didn't want to be kidnapped...
147K 4.4K 18
First Book in The Eldest series There lived six sisters in the Bennet household. The first was a very generous and kind soul who helped her father wi...
17.3K 610 23
The year was 1837, Great Britain was at the climax of its reign. But all come with an outcome and this was no different. The streets were flooding wi...
62 0 1
Part 1 of the 'Reluctant' stories. Lance loves his wife. He would do anything for her. Jump in front of a train. Step in front of a bullet. Go head-t...