Ikemen Sengoku: Nobunaga Oda

By jjvngoo

Romances Across Time [Disclaimer] Not my work Transcriptions from CYBIRD: Ikemen Sengoku All Right and charac... More

Nobunaga | Shot Thru The Heart
Nobunaga | Hot Spring Vacation
Chapter 1
Chapter 2 + His POV
Chapter 3
Chapter 4 + His POV The Spark Of Love • Premium Bonus • Her Soft Toes
Chapter 5 + His POV
Chapter 6
Chapter 7 + His POV
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Dramatic Route Chapter 11
Dramatic Route Chapter 12
Dramatic Route Chapter 13
Dramatic Route Epilogue
Romantic Route Chapter 11&12
Romantic Route Chapter 13
Romantic Route Epilogue

Prologue

418 4 0
By jjvngoo

Kyoto, Present Day--

This is my first vacation on my own. But you know what? I feel great! Not a care in the world! Stretching my arms above my head, I was enjoying a peaceful nighttime stroll through the city. I'd kept at it, sending my portfolio out time and time again, until it finally paid off. I'd gotten my dream job. Goodbye, matte gray cubicle! In a few days, I'll finally be a fashion designer! And this is my reward! I'm gonna get all the partying out of my system so I can focus on my new career.

Walking with a spring in my step, I pulled a guide book out of my purse. 'A Traveler's Guide to Japan's Hottest Warlords."

I bought it because the title made me smile. Kyoto's a hub of historical activity, and this book promised information on some good sightseeing spots.

I flicked through the pages, stopping when my eye fell upon a familiar name.

The Peerless Warrior - Yukimura Sanada. I've heard of this guy. He was famous for... Nope. I can't remember. I had always crammed for Japanese history last. Sadly, it showed in my test results.

The One-Eyed Dragon - Masamune Date. I'm more familiar with this one. There's been a bunch of historical dramas made about him. "The One-Eyed Dragon." 1 love that name. And the eyepatch is pretty sweet too. Too bad he's not from Kyoto.

"Let's see, where's the closest famous place I can visit?"

Here's one! A stone monument to Honno-ji, at the temple's original location.

The Devil King of the 6th Heaven – Nobunaga Oda. Opposite the map to the site was a page dedicated to the most famous man tied to that location. Nobunaga Oda is definitely someone I remember. He almost unified all of Japan under his rule.

"In the year 1582, betrayed by Mitsuhide Akechi, Nobunaga committed suicide amidst the fiery wreckage of Honno-ji."

Or as I remember it, "In fifteen-hundred-and-eighty-two, Nobunaga's ambitions burned in a coup!" Amused I could still remember that old mnemonic, I followed the map to the place where Honno-ji once stood.

This is it? It's a simple, somber monument. And pretty small too. I wonder if Nobunaga would be disappointed. I just stood and looked at it a moment. A man came up to the monument too. That he was wearing a lab coat in public made him immediately stand out. Standing silently beside me, his eyes were fixed on the stone.

He looks too young to be a doctor. Probably a medical school student. And what a serious expression he's got. He was more intriguing than the monument. I couldn't help looking. Just then, a drop of cold rain fell on my nose. Raising my head to the sky, I noticed the dark gray clouds in sheets overhead.

"Oh no." The clouds suddenly broke open and the tiny drops gave way to a downpour.

??: "What poor timing."

"'Clear skies, all day and all night' it said! Stupid weather report."

??: " Are you all right? Do you have an umbrella?"

"I do. But it's back at my hotel." I looked up into the man's eyes, when--

??: "Huh!"

"Aah!" A bolt of lightning touched down in front of us, shattering the stone monument. That couldn't have just happened?! I've never seen lightning that close before!

??: "Be careful, miss--"

"Huh?" He offered me a hand; just then, there was a loud crash and everything appeared to bend and warp into the darkness. I felt dizzy and instinctively squeezed my eyes shut. What's happening?

Then the dizziness passed. I opened my eyes, only for them to be quickly obscured with streams of billowing hot smoke. Wait, what?! It was raining! I was outside! How did I get here? And it's so smoky here. This place is on fire!

Covering my mouth, I looked through the suffocating smoke but I couldn't see the man in the lab coat anywhere. Instead, I saw something unbelievable. What in the world?

A man dressed in a suit of ancient Japanese armour lay asleep on the floor. Another man, holding some kind of walking stick, approached the sleeping man. That's not a walking stick, it's a sword! Sparks from the flaming paper walls illuminated the sharp edge of the raised metal blade.

"Hey, you, look out!" I cried at the armoured man. The man with the sword grew still. I crouched beside the unconscious man and shook him urgently. He finally woke, eyelids lifting lazily.

??: "Who are you?"

"No time for introductions. Come on, let's get you out of here!" There's a building on fire, and a man out to kill you! We need to get out of here now! "Take my hand!"

He took my hand into his powerful one. I held tight and hauled him to his feet. I wasn't sure who he was, but I didn't want to see anyone hurt--or worse. We ran for our lives through the fire. Backing away from the spreading flames, a man with youthful features watched the two run, his eyes wide.

??: "...I'm sorry... I'm sorry but I couldn't do it..." The crackling of the fire devoured his tearful apology. Then he, too, ran out of the temple-

I'm amazed we made it out, but somehow, we did. The building behind us, which seemed to be a temple, was being engulfed by uncontrollable flames. I have to be dreaming, right?

??: "Someone tried to do away with me while I slept? Audacious, but foolish Killing my guards and getting that close to me is another matter. You there. Woman. Let go of me."

"Oh, sorry." I let go and pulled my hand back. The man I'd rescued looked m4 over thoughtfully.

??: "You saved my life. You may be some girl the monks snuck in for amusement, but I owe you my thanks."

"Really? I must have missed all the amused monks in the massive fire we just escaped. I don't know how I got in there." Who exactly have I just saved?

He was dressed like a star in a samurai drama and spoke like one too..His eyes were proud and brutal. But I could tell by the materials that his clothes were authentic. As authentic as the sword hanging on his belt.

??: "What are you staring at? Surely you know who I am."

"I really don't."

??: "You saved me without knowing who I am? Not expecting reward or favour? So be it. I shall tell you my name. I am the man who will rule all under the sun—"

"Actually, you really don't need to tell me."

??: "What?"

"I don't want to know. I get the feeling whatever he's going to say, I'm not going to like it.

??: "You're a curious one, woman. No one's ever spoken so impudently to me before." He let out a loud, amused laugh that echoed far into the night. I'm sorry, is anything that's happening now funny? And wow, that wicked smile could kill a kitten.

??: "You intrigue me, which almost as worthy of praise as saving my life. I am the Lord of Azuchi Castle and Daimyo of Owari, Nobunaga Oda." Nobunaga Oda. He just said his name was Nobunaga Oda! My mouth hanging open in shock, I turned toward the gate of the burning temple. A sign on the gate was engraved with the unmistakable name "Honno-ji."

"Pardon me for asking something strange, but what year is it?"

Nobunaga: "It is 1582. Why?"

The guide book's words flashed into my mind: "In the year 1582, betrayed by Mitsuhide Akechi, Nobunaga committed suicide amidst the fiery wreckage of Honno-ji." I've got to be dreaming this! Moving mechanically, I raised my hand to my cheek and pinched it hard. Okay, that hurt. There goes the dream theory. But does that mean I really went back in time to the night Nobunaga died?

Nobunaga: "What are you pinching yourself for? I've given my name. It's your turn. Hey—" The self-proclaimed Nobunaga took a full step forward and took my chin in his hand, forcing me to meet his eyes. "Give me your name."

Mai: "Mai Mizusaki."

Mai: "Glad you approve. Now let go of me." I brushed off his hand and put some distance between us. /desperately need to figure out what's going on here! My head was spinning and I was starting to shake. And that was before I heard a large group coming our way.

??: "Lord Nobunaga, you're safe!" Who's this now? A man, arriving at the front of a unit of soldiers, rushed toward us.

Nobunaga: "Mitsunari? Why are you here? Where is Hideyoshi?"

Mitsunari: "Lord Hideyoshi sent me ahead. He should be here shortly." The man called Mitsunari took in the sight of the burning temple with a frown. "We received information about an assassination attempt. It appears to have been true. I had my men search the grounds, but whoever it was had already fled. If I may ask, who is this? I saw the two of you leave the temple together."

Nobunaga: "Mai, present yourself to my subordinate." Nobunaga indicated Mitsunari with a nod and then waited. I glanced sideways at Nobunaga. He's got a major attitude. I don't care if he almost united the country or what.

Mai: "I'm sorry, did I miss the part where I became a subordinate too? I don't have to follow your orders."

Nobunaga: "Then you're choosing to disobey me?" His glare was sharp as a knife, and I felt my body grow ten degrees cooler. Yikes! Okay, he is intimidating.

Mitsunari: "Please, this is on me. It was rude of me not to introduce myself first. My name is Mitsunari Ishida. I serve at the side of Lord Hideyoshi, Lord Nobunaga's right hand man."'

Mai: "Nice to meet you. I'm Mai Mizusaki:' Mitsunari seems kind, which is a nice change of pace. And his name seems familiar too. He's also gorgeous, like a model! I would love to design clothes for him.

Nobunaga: "I don't know who she is, but she woke me up and saw me to safety."

Mitsunari: "She did! I can't thank you enough for protecting our lord's life."

Mai: "Oh. I just did it without thinking."

Mitsunari: "But what brought you here tonight? You don't appear to be a nun. And your dress is unusual. Are you from abroad?"

Mai: "Actually, I'm from a different time than yours altogether."

Both: "What?" I'm sure it's going to sound implausible, but I might as well get everything out in the open.

Mai: "I come from 500 years in the future." They stared at me in shock and then disbelief.

Nobunaga: "She's a story-teller too. Although I've never heard such an absurd tale!"

Mitsunari: "You poor thing. The smoke from the fire was very disorienting, I'm sure." Really? Neither of them are even considering it? I guess I'd have trouble believing it too.

Mai: "I really am from the future though."

Mitsunari: "Sit down over here and get some fresh air. Someone will bring you a change of clothes." Hmm? I didn't even notice, but it's true. My clothes are a wreck. My shirt was stained to the elbows with soot, and the hem of my skirt was burned through in spots. "Once you're freshened up, you'll feel much better."

Mai: "Thank you." When I gave him a quick bow, Mitsunari took my hands in his, holding them until a soldier came up with a bundle.

Mitsunari: "Now, let's get you into these, shall we, Lady Mai?" Once I'd finished changing, I stepped out of the tent. Mitsunari guided me to the center of the hastily assembled camp. "Wait right here. I'll bring you a warm cup of good, clean water to clear your throat." With Mitsunari gone, the only other person nearby was Nobunaga.

Nobunaga: "You clean up well." Not very good at complimenting people, is he? I didn't care for the way his eyes lingered on me. I turned and kept my gaze on the entrance, waiting for Mitsunari. The smoke from the temple was starting to clear. Mitsunari's troops must have put out the fire. It's certainly easier to breathe now. I took a breath of cool night air. Someone parted the curtain and entered camp, but it wasn't Mitsunari.

??: "My lord, I see you are well."

Nobunaga: "Mitsuhide?" Mitsuhide? MitsuhideAkechi! The person who betrayed Nobunaga and started this whole incident?!

Mitsuhide: "I hurried here when I heard about the attack, but it seems there was nothing for me to worry about."

Nobunaga: "You, worry? Don't make me laugh. I've never even seen you sweat." As I watched Nobunaga smile at the man I knew as his betrayer, another person burst through the curtain.

??: "Lord Nobunaga! Are you injured?"

Nobunaga: "Hideyoshi. The only injury I suffered is to my pride in letting my assailant escape."

Hideyoshi: "I see."

Mai: "And now Hideyoshi Toyotomi shows up!"

Hideyoshi: "Aren't we outspoken? Have we met?" Did I say that out loud? Well it's not like I expected to meet two of Japan's unifiers, both in the same night.

Nobunaga: "Let her be. Her name is Mai Mizusaki. Oh yes, and she saved my life."

Mitsuhide: "You saved Nobunaga's life...? And you're such a slender thing. But it appears your courage makes up for it." That's a scary smile! I hope I didn't just get added to someone's list!

Hideyoshi: "Mitsuhide, what are you doing here?"

Mitsuhide: "I was wondering the same thing. I didn't know you were in Kyoto. What about the campaign?"

Hideyoshi: "When I heard about the threat on Lord Nobunaga's life, I dropped everything to come here. But I never heard anything about you being in Kyoto."

Mitsuhide: "Are you implying something?

Hideyoshi: "Can you swear before our lord you weren't plotting anything?" Mitsuhide didn't answer him. The two locked eyes, tension filling the space between them. Hideyoshi is already suspicious that Mitsuhide is responsible for the attack.

Mitsuhide: "All men have secrets in these chaotic times. Are you saying you act with no ambition of your own?"

Hideyoshi: "Stop being evasive. Confess." Hideyoshi's eyes flared. He gripped his sword, ready to draw. I was hoping for another nice one, but he's not as friendly as his looks suggest. "If I find you played any part in this attack on our lord, Mitsuhide, show you no mercy."

Mai: "I don't think it was him!"

Both: "What?" I really don't want to get between them. Then again, I don't want to see bloodshed, either.

Mai: "I caught a glimpse of the man who attacked Nobunaga, um, Lord Nobunaga. But the drape of his clothes was all wrong." Plus Mitsuhide is spotless. I don't know who it was, but Mitsuhide wasn't in that temple.

Hideyoshi: "Mai, was it? Stay out of this. We'll settle things with you later, and learn why you schemed to get so close to Lord Nobunaga."

Mai: "Excuse me! I was there by chance. I'm not the schemer here!"

Nobunaga: "Enough, Hideyoshi. Regardless of what brings Mitsuhide here, I am alive and well."

Hideyoshi: "My apologies, Lord Nobunaga." Hideyoshi immediately let go of his sword, his hand relaxing somewhat. That got through to him. Hideyoshi Toyotomi was supposed to be one of Nobunaga's most trusted vassals. I guess can trust that these people are the real thing.

Nobunaga: "Hideyoshi, Mitsuhide, give us a moment. I have something to discuss with Mai."

Mai: "With me?" Hideyoshi and Mitsuhide stepped aside as Nobunaga approached.

Nobunaga: "Your bold lies about coming from the future aside, you saved my life. I'm intrigued by you. You're a woman who carries fortune's favour, of that I'm certain."

Mai: "I could argue that--" My eyes widened. Nobunaga had slipped one arm around my waist, drawing me possessively toward him.

Nobunaga: "How would you like to rule the world at my side?" W-w-what?! With Nobunaga's strong arm around my waist and his offer ringing in my ears, rationality crumbled around me.

Mai: "Sorry, but I can't! I'm starting my dream job really, really soon, and, well, bye!"

Nobunaga: "What?" I pulled his arm off me and began running. Hideyoshi and Mitsuhide called after me, but that wasn't going to stop me. Grabbing my purse on the way out, I fled the small camp.

...From a nearby inn, a man watched the smoke dissipate above the ruins of Honno-ji.

??: "Ha! So that's how it ends? Looks like I came all the way out here for nothing. Thought I'd see a real party, not that sad excuse for a show." Inhaling the acrid smoke as though it were perfume, the man grinned wildly. "Heh...for a dead man like me, yer little campfire lacks the sweet smell of gunpowder. Well, ya can start celebrating now, Nobunaga. I'm coming back, and I'm bringing the worst the world has to offer with me."

I ran into a nearby forest, stopping only when it was quiet around me. I've run pretty far. I think I may be safe. Wait, safe from what? I'm still in the past, stuck in this crazy time period alone, and surrounded by madmen. I took out my copy of "A Traveler's guide to Japan's Hottest Warlords" from my purse. "After Nobunaga's death, Mitsuhide launched a rebellion that gained him control of the country for a mere three days. His regime was quickly overthrown by the returning Hideyoshi Toyotomi." It's all right here in the book. Except now, Nobunaga Oda is alive, and Mitsuhide's coup can't happen. That means history has changed? I couldn't have stood there and let Nobunaga die. But now there's no telling what repercussions my actions will have on the future.

Just then, I heard the soft clang of rings and the sound of dry leaves being crushed under someone's foot.

??: "Young lady, what are you doing in the woods this late at night?" A weathered-looking man with a chiselled face walked toward me, smiling. A Buddhist monk?

Kennyo: "I am called Kennyo, a travelling monk. Perhaps I can be of assistance to you?".

Mai: "Thank you, but no thanks. I'm fine on my own." I'm not, but I've got a bad feeling about this guy. I can't swear this isn't the silhouette of the man I saw attack Nobunaga. I held my breath as he took a long stride toward me, only to put a hand softly on my shoulder.

Kennyo: "You should return home quickly. Demons lurk in the woods at night."

Mai: "Thank you for the warning! Goodbye!" I didn't try to hide my fear as I pulled away from him and dashed off again. When Mai was out of sight, a youthful-looking man stepped out of the shadows without a sound to signal his approach.

Kennyo: "Ranmaru? What are you doing back here?"

Ranmaru: "I'm sorry, Master Kennyo. But I don't think I can stay with them after what I--"

Kennyo: "Ranmaru, that's nonsense. You performed your role at Honno-ji well. I witnessed myself how much the Devil King trusts you." The young man flinched at the word "trust." "It was only because of that woman we had to retreat, but a chance to strike him down will come again."

Ranmaru: "I- I don't think I can..."

Kennyo: "Ranmaru, have you forgotten what they did? Have you forgotten our oath?"

Ranmaru: "...Not once, Master Kennyo."

Kennyo: "Do not fear you'll be discovered. You have a gift. Your charms are a blessing from Buddha. Now, smile for me, Ranmaru. It has been so long since I last saw you smile."

Ranmaru: "...I'll return and fulfil my mission, Master. If you're sure that's what you want."

*****

Clutching my purse to my chest and squeezing my eyes shut, I ran, desperately wishing I could make this all go away. Creepy guys left and right! No lights or street signs to tell me where I'm going! I really, really want this to be a dream!

??: "Watch it!" What now? Out of nowhere, a man grabbed me hard enough to pull me off my feet. Mai: "Whoa! Hey--" I fell backward onto the man, sending us both to the ground.

??: "Ouch!"

Mai: "Sorry!" A well-built man with a handsome face was lying below me like an unhappy cushion. Better get off him.

??: "Whoa, are you crazy? Don't move!" As I stood up, he did too, grabbing me from behind. Wind coming up from a great depth before me tugged at my hair. Yikes! I'm on a cliff! That is some drop! "That was close." Mai: "Thank you for saving me." I turned around in his arms. Our noses brushed together and I realized just how close his light brown eyes were.

??: "Uhl" Um? "I don't need thanks. Just give me some space, will you!"

Mai: "R-right." I guess was I staring, but he's really good looking. I moved away from him, but the man caught my arm once more.

??: "Not that way."

Mai: "I'm just giving you some space."

??: "Well watch it. That rock is loose. Can't you see that for yourself?" Actually, I lack the preternatural ability to read the terrain like a ranger in a fantasy novel! Not that he'd understand.

Mai: "Look, I'm sorry, all right? I'm having a difficult night."

??: "Hey, I'm not mad at you, okay? Sorry for being kinda rough. Come on, I'll help." He was smiling now, and this time he offered me his hand.

Mai: "Thanks." He comes off as a little awkward, but I feel like I can trust him. I took his hand. He led the two of us away from the cliff with deft steps. TT?: "What's this, Yuki? We've been here ten minutes and you've already found yourself a girl?" Who is this? A broad shouldered man a full head taller than "Yuki" met us at the edge of the forest and grinned. Yuki: "Don't tease me, Lord Shingen. She was about to dive off the cliff."

Mai: "It was an accident! I was running ahead without looking, that's all." Yuki: "Yeah? At night in the woods, you mean? What for?" Mai: "I was looking for a shortcut to my happy place..."

Shingen: "Hmm. Smoke from Honno-ji and a woman all alone at night. Perhaps you're a ghost? Though you're the most beautiful ghost I've ever seen."

Mai: "I'm actually quite normal. I mean, normal for a person, not a ghost" With his narrow, flirtatious eyes on mine, I faltered brushing off the compliment. Two more men joined us on the cliff.

??: "Your ability to spew cheap pick-up lines never ceases to amaze me."

Shingen: "I just call it as I see it, Kenshin."

??: "You there, could you please step into the light? Thank you."

Mai: "Sure, I-- Hey, give me a minute--!" With a fine hand, the man drew me into the moonlight. I saw the beauty of his fingers extended to his face.

??: "What a fine piece of work." Did this guy just call me a "fine piece of work?!" I don't care how stupidly pretty he might be—

Shingen: "Sorry, I'm afraid I laid eyes on this angelic treasure first."

??: "We can share. Art is to be loved and appreciated by all. Aren't the dye patterns exquisite? So richly absorbed into the cotton."

Mai: "Whoa there, I'm not--! Oh, thank gd. You're talking about my kimono. At least...one of you is."

??: "Would you be interested in exchanging that kimono you're wearing with one from my collection?" His touch was so graceful, I felt like a princess in his presence -- not a woman who'd just been asked to strip off her clothes!

Yuki: "For the last time Yoshimoto, women aren't pieces of art, so get your hands off her, will you?!" Yuki pulled Yoshimoto away, and as though my fairy tale clock had struck midnight, I found myself back on the cold dark cliffs.

First "Shingen," then "Kenshin," and now "Yoshimoto?" They're all famous names. Could they be--? Another man arrived at the edge of the thicket. Strangely, his footsteps didn't make a sound.

??: "My lords, I've returned. Nobunaga's forces have extinguished the fires at Honno-ji." Dressed for camouflage and ease of movement, with close-fitting layers that won't rustle. He's an actual ninja!

Yoshimoto: "Thank goodness they did. That temple houses many treasures. I fear for the fire damage."

Kenshin: "Thank you for your investigation, Sasuke. So I presume Nabunaga is alive, then?

Sasuke: "Yes." They're not exactly celebrating that fact, are they?

Shingen: "He's got the devil's luck."

Yuki: "Or he's the devil." That's a shift in the mood if ever saw one. So they don't like Nobunaga, but they do take him seriously. I thought about asking more when the man dressed like a ninja suddenly looked at me.

Sasuke: "You—"

Mai: "Me?"

Kenshin: "We happened to run into her here. Do you know this woman?"

Sasuke: "No. I was mistaken. Though I spotted a village on the way here. She must be from there. I'll escort her home."

Shingen: "Moving quick, aren't you, Sasuke? You and Yoshimoto both. Give the rest of us a chance, will you?"

Sasuke: "Lord Shingen, please. You and the others should return to the city." Excusing himself, the ninja took my hand and led me back toward the forest.

Mai: "Hold on, you've got it wrong. I'm not from a village or anywhere near here—"

Sasuke: "I know. I've been waiting for you." What does he mean by that? He's been waiting for me? Once we were deep enough in the woods, the ninja stopped and lowered his mask. "Do you recognize me now?"

Mai: "Oh hey—" I had a sudden memory of the man in the rain:

??: "Are you all right? Do you have an umbrella?"

??: "Huh!" ???: "Be careful, miss—"

Mai: "The med-school student at the Honno-ji monument!"

Sasuke: "Post-graduate in physics, not medicine. But I'm glad you remember me. That makes things easier."

Mai: "So you ended up in the past too! Why are you a ninja?"

Sasuke: "It's easiest if I start from the beginning. My name is Sasuke. And just like you, I come from the present, or rather, the future."

Sasuke slowly began to explain what had happened since our encounter at the stone monument. That explanation made my head spin. I sat down on a tree stump, looking up at him as he finished.

Mai: "So that lightning strike caused spacetime to warp around us and sent us into the past?"

Sasuke: "Yes. That is a very simplified and condensed version of my current theory. We entered the wormhole at the same time. However, I arrived four years before you. In that time, I've learned that this Sengoku period, Japan's civil war, is different than the one we're familiar with."

Different? Other than my saving Nobunaga? I listened raptly to Sasuke's explanation. According to him— Just like what had happened to Nobunaga and me, Sasuke had arrived at the date of Kenshin Uesugi's historical death. But Sasuke's quick thinking and knowledge of modern medicine had ensured Kenshin's survival. Now he, like Nobunaga, was alive. But they weren't the only ones.

Shingen Takeda, the tall flirt on the cliffs, and Yoshimoto Imagawa, the effete art-lover, should have died too. In this strange place and time, they, too, were alive when they shouldn't be.

Mai: "I can't believe it. We changed the past?"

Sasuke: "To a degree. We're in an alternate Sengoku period, not the one we know from school. Because of fluctuations in space-time we're in a divergent timeline--one in which history will take a different course." Time travel. Alternate histories. Divergent timelines. It sounds like science fiction.

Sasuke: "I major in theoretical astrophysics at Kyoto University, specializing in wormholes and their potential for time travel. I'd conceived of a method for predicting the conditions for and patterns under which traversable wormholes might manifest. That's why I was at the stone monument that day. To verify my method, I thought the people in this time were something else, but now I'm talking to a man who can predict wormholes!

Sasuke: "I've been looking for you here, expecting you must have travelled back in time as I did. I hadn't conceived of the possibility that you would arrive four years later."

Mai: "So, this really isn't a dream then?"

Sasuke: "I suppose you could say it's a dream for me. I get to see the famous men and women of the Sengoku with my own eyes." Mai: "You're strangely chipper about this."

Sasuke: "My parents were huge history buffs. I got my name from Sasuke Sarutobi, the legendary ninja who served Yukimura Sanada. Because Sasuke is fictional, I've taken his 'place' in this time. That will let me keep my historical impact low."

Mai: "And were your parents secretly ninja, too? Or is that something you picked up while you were here?"

Sasuke: "I studied that here. It seemed useful to pick up a marketable vocation." From astrophysicist to ninja. He's frighteningly quick at adapting. I shook off my shock. Sasuke put out his hand. "Right now, I'm employed with the men you saw earlier. Come with me. I promise I'll find a way to return us both to the present." Sasuke is a bit of an odd one, but he's my best shot for getting back home. I was ready to take his hand, when—

Hideyoshi: "Mai! Where are you! Come out!" That voice belongs to one of Nobunaga's men. Hideyoshi? I heard the sound of approaching horses. Sasuke grew grim. Without another word, he slipped into the shadows of the forest and out of my sight. Wait, what?! Don't disappear with your secret ninja tricks! What about a plan? But there was no time to call out to him. Two men on horseback arrived. One of them was Hideyoshi.

Hideyoshi: "I searched the whole forest for you."

Mai: "I didn't ask you to." I wasn't in the mood to be sympathetic, especially when he'd driven off my ticket home.

Hideyoshi: "Hiding yourself from Lord Nobunaga for no reason whatsoever. How insolent can you get?"

Mai: "No reason? He asked me to conquer the world with him and didn't look like he was going to take no for an answer!" The man on the other horse laughed.

??: "You're Mai? A stalwart lass indeed. I've no doubt you're the woman who defied Lord Nobunaga."

Mai: "And you are? Someone else I'm supposed to recognize?" The one-eyed man reached down for me.

??: "I'd be pleased if you did, but now's not the best time to talk."

Mai: "Hey, let me go!" Effortlessly, he swooped me up and placed me on his horse. Tucked snugly against his chest, I had a fine view of his domineering smile.

Masamune: "Masamune Date. Remember it, Mai."

Right. Obviously, he's Masamune Date. I'm way over quota on famous warlords tonight!

Hideyoshi: "Masamune is head of the noble Date family of Oshu. He's also allied with Lord Nobunaga, so show some respect." If Hideyoshi is thinking to impress me with that unnecessary bit of trivia, I have news for him.

Mai: "Thank you both for the introduction. Could I be put down now?"

Masamune: "Settle down. You'll spook the horse."

Mai: "Don't I matter? I'm pretty spooked."

Masamune: "Come to think of it, you do look a little spooked." But that didn't stop him from urging his horse forward with a snap of the reins and a shout No, I want you to let me go! The horse quickly broke into a run, and I was forced to cling to Masamune or fall off.

Hideyoshi: "Don't lose her, Masamune."

Masamune: "I won't. Hold on tight, Mai."

Mai: "I'm not going with you guys!"

Hideyoshi: "Lord Nobunaga has already departed camp. He ordered you brought to him." Hideyoshi, riding beside us, was clearly unhappy with that order.

Masamune: "We need to ride fast if we're gonna catch up. Don't fall off now."

Mai: "No, wait! Where are you taking me?" I complained in vain as Masamune spurred the horse faster. We rode through the night until we arrived at our destination. It's like a fortress, castle and city all in one.

Masamune: "We're here, Mai. Azuchi Castle, home of the Oda forces."

*****

Masamune: "We're here, Mai. Azuchi Castle, home of the Oda forces." The real Azuchi Castle! It was destroyed not long after Nobunaga's death.

Hideyoshi: "Don't show yourself to Lord Nobunaga with that expression. You look like a gaping frog."

Mai: "I do not. And I haven't agreed to see him."

Masamune: "So you're a morning person. I'll keep that in mind." Masamune's joking words spoken right into my ear reminded me— He's still holding me!

Mai: "Anyway, we're here, so put me down already!"

Masamune: "Actually, I think not. I'm pretty happy with you right here."

Mai: "Well, I'm not!"

Hideyoshi: "Masamune, our Lord Nobunaga has taken an interest in her. Keep your hands off her."

Masamune: "Why does that matter? I like her too. Men don't thrive in the shadows of other men. In battle, or in love."

Mai: "Listen, you two—" Masamune's eye shone with the delight of a tiger hunting prey. I wondered what that prey must feel like, when—

Women: "Hideyoshi! Welcome back!" Hmm? A series of excited calls drew me back to my surroundings.

Woman 1: "Over here, Hideyoshi!" '

Woman 2: "Oh, Masamune, you're dashing as ever! Who's your friend?" A crowd of waving and cheering women hadlined up at the gate to welcome the two men back.

Masamune: "How can you get this welcome every single time, Hideyoshi? Break a heart or two, will you?"

Hideyoshi: "What do you take me for?" With a shrug, Hideyoshi dismounted his horse and walked toward the crowd of women. "I've told you there's no need to come all the way to the gate for me. What about your work?"

Woman 1: "I finished early so I could see you when you came back."

Woman 2: "Hideyoshi, will you be staying long? I hope we'll have time to catch up."

Hideyoshi: "Don't let me keep you waiting. I'll send a letter as soon as things settle down." Woman 2: "Of course! Take as long as you need!" Still on Masamune's horse, I watched Hideyoshi, astonished.

Mai: "So he's just a big sweetheart and NOT an ultra-stiff paranoiac?"

Masamune: "That's how he normally is. I guess you're just special." Mai: "He's nice to everyone but me? That makes me feel the opposite of special."

Masamune: "It goes both ways. There aren't many women who don't fall for Hideyoshi at first sight." Masamune looked at me, curious. "So, who are you, really?" Me? I'm just a normal person. By my standards. As Masamune got closer, I stiffened up. But just then--

Mitsunari: "Welcome back, Lord Hideyoshi Lord Masamune.

Standing in the shadows next to Mitsunari was a petite young man, a tousle of fawn-colored hair on his head. Mitsunari must have returned with Nobunaga. Who is that man next to him? And, well, as for Nobunaga, I'm sure he's waiting in the castle keep. Masamune, seeing Mitsunari and the young man up ahead, turned to me and smiled.

Masamune: "Even leyasu came out to say hi. That's rare."

Mai: "leyasu? leyasu Tokugawa is here... ?"

Masamune: "Right there, actually. He's the sourpuss next to Mitsunari. You should take this chance to say hi." Masamune helped me off the horse and led me by the hand through Hideyoshi's throng of admirers. We stopped at the gate where Mitsunari, and the man who was supposedly leyasu Tokugawa waited.

Mitsunari: "I've been expecting your arrival, Lady Mai." His smile is ice cream on a hot day. But I have more important things to think about!

Mai: "Mitsunari, I don't have anything more to say to Nobunaga--"

leyasu: "She looks pitiful." leyasu talked right over me, delivering his harsh assessment with a disapproving frown. "You're Mai?"

Mai: "Yes. So, wow, you're leyasu?"

leyasu: "What if I am?"

Mai: "What if you are, what?" leyasu kept his ice-cold eyes fixed on me. Was the founder of the Tokugawa shogunate really such a little snot? He's pretty, like a doll, but that makes his peevish attitude even worse, somehow.

Hideyoshi: "leyasu, that's no way to greet someone. Can't you give them a smile, at least?" Hideyoshi, having broken away from the women, came up to us with a wry smile.

Masamune: "Can he? I'm not sure I've ever seen him do it. What does your smile look like?"

leyasu: "Why is that important?"

Hideyoshi: "Don't be unsociable. You need to let loose. Learn to smile and laugh."

Masamune: "I'll help. Hideyoshi, you take his left."

leyasu: "S-stop it! You're both just annoying me." Scrunching his face up, leyasu scrambled out from under Hideyoshi and Masamune's tickling grasps. They all seem quite friendly with each other. I watched, my mouth agape until Mitsunari turned to me and spoke in a low voice.

Mitsunari: "Like Lord Masamune, Lord leyasu is also allied with Lord Nobunaga. He came here immediately, hearing the news of the assassination attempt."

Mai: "So that's why the who's who of famous warlords are all here."

Mitsunari: "Everyone? Shall we save the happy reunion until after our new arrivals get some rest?"

leyasu: "Save yourself, Mitsunari. I'm not remotely happy about any of this."

Mitsunari: "Oh. My apologies. Then let's simply not stand around and talk outside. Lady Mai, the room you'll be staying in is already prepared. Please, get some rest" Ignoring my earlier refusal, Mitsunari ushered me into the keep of Azuchi castle--Meanwhile, in the castle town below—

Yuki: "I didn't expect this to be such a cheerful place." Yuki looked around, taking stock of the prosperous town. "Now where has Sasuke gone? I haven't heard from him since yesterday. Well, I'm sure he's fine." He turned toward the main keep of Azuchi Castle. Determination, tinged with vengeance, pooled his youthful eyes. "Justice is coming. I hope you're prepared, Nobunaga." Inside the castle, Mitsunari led me to a spacious and comfortable looking room.

Mitsunari: "Lady Mai, this room is yours to use as you like. I hope it's enough for you."

Mai: "It's more than enough, it's almost too much. And, please, just call me Mai."

Mitsunari: "But you're a lady, and Lord Nobunaga's savior. I couldn't possibly?'

Mai: "It's really fine. I'm not used to titles and fancy treatment, and I don't need them."

Mitsunari: "Then I agree on the condition that you stay as familiar with me. Is that all right, Mai?"

Mai: "That's perfect, Mitsunari." Not that I could say no to that smile!

Mitsunari: "Thank you. Now, take your leisure. Someone will come to fetch you soon."

Smiling politely, Mitsunari left the room and closed the door behind him. There's been no sign of Sasuke since last night. What exactly am I supposed to do? I sank to the floor and emptied the contents of my purse before me. There was "A Traveler's Guide to Japan's Hottest Warlords " my cellphone, wallet, house key, makeup bag, sewing kit—

And my test piece, Bearsace, who looked up at me with warm acrylic eyes. I brought him as a sample of my sewing, along with my dress designs, to my job interview. He's been in my purse since. I was so excited to start my dream job. Why did this have to happen? I let out a long sigh. Then I heard a "tock" sound from above. What was that?

I looked up at the ceiling just in time to see a panel slide open. A familiar face appeared in the opening.

Sasuke: "Excuse me, Mai? I'm not bothering you, am I?"

Mai: "Sasuke?! Not at all! Did you follow me here?"

Sasuke: "Yes. I hid when those men arrived and followed your trail."

Mai: "I'm so glad you did!" Sasuke jumped down from the ceiling, landing silently. He pulled his mask down.

Sasuke: "In watching you I've pieced together much of what happened. You've gotten yourself into some trouble."

Mai: "I'm sure you've been through worse in your four years here. I mean, it made you into a textbook ninja."

Sasuke: "There's trouble, and then there's Trouble. That said, I forgot to tell you something important back in the forest." Let it be good news. "I mentioned I was researching a way for us to get home? Recently I was able to confirm that the wormhole opens here at fixed periods."

Mai: "Really! Then that means--"

Sasuke: "Please, keep your voice down. I'm not supposed to be here, and it would be bad if I were caught." Right. Finding what is obviously an enemy ninja in your castle would be, classically, bad. "I'll be concise. The next wormhole will provide our way home." A way to return to the future?

Sasuke: "Leaving the rationale behind its recurrence aside, according to my data... The next traversable wormhole will appear in three months. I'm still calculating its location, but chances are good that if we make contact with it, we'll return to the present."

Mai: "All you need to tell me is that we can get back. I'm so relieved!"

Sasuke: "However, it's best if you spend these next three months here."

Mai: "In Azuchi? Why don't I just come with you?"

Sasuke: We're in the midst of a chaotic civil war, one that's now further away from ending than the one in our timeline. Besides, Nobunaga and his men seem rather fond of you. I doubt they'd let you go easily."

Mai: "Yeah, given their penchant for hunting me like a game animal."

Sasuke: "I'll check on you though. If you run into any trouble, send a smoke signal. Mai: "Smoke signal, all right. I don't know how to do that yet, but I'll figure it out."

Sasuke: "One more thing. Don't get deeply involved with the people of this time."

Mai: "Deeply involved? Sasuke, I'm going to be in close contact with them for three months."

Sasuke: "That is to say, don't fall in love. It might cloud your desire to return to the future."

Mai: "Haha, love? There's no worry of that happening. Have you talked to any of these people?"

Sasuke: "...All right. I recommend you keep the fact that you come from the present a secret too."

Mai: "Yes, right. Not that anyone believes, I mean, would believe it." Good thing the two people told, Nobunaga and Mitsunari, thought I was joking or smoke-addled.

Sasuke: "My employer is in the city below and I'm staying with him. I'll be able to come to your aid quickly."

Mai: "Your employer? What are you here for--" But my question went unanswered as Sasuke's gaze shot to the door. Someone's here!

Sasuke: "We'll speak later. Farewell." Pulling up his mask with one hand, Sasuke vaulted out the open window with the other.

Mitsuhide: "I see you weren't able to get away from Nobunaga after all." This one is...oh right. Mitsuhide Akechi. "He's calling for you. Nobunaga, that is. He wants to see you."

Mai: "Okay." Mitsuhide said no more and turned to go. I followed after him quickly. He betrayed Nobunaga in the history I know and arranged the assassination at Honno-ji. However, the person I saw attacking Nobunaga was different. That doesn't let Mitsuhide off the hook though. I was dragging my feet, forcing myself to walk to this unwanted audience.

Mitsuhide: "You'll damage them if you keep squeezing so tightly." What is he talking about? Mitsuhide lifted up one of my hands. I noticed I'd been squeezing my hands so tight my knuckles were white. Then, Mitsuhide took my borrowed hand and kissed it. I leaped back. Mai: "What do you think you're doing?"

Mitsuhide: "Trying to calm you down."

Mai: "Just so you know, it didn't work."

Mitsuhide: "I beg your forgiveness." It was the least sincere apology I'd ever heard. Still smiling, Mitsuhide continued walking. Was he just messing with me? Mitsuhide is dangerously unreadable. Reminding myself to be wary, I followed Mitsuhide at a safe distance from then on.

Deep in the castle, we came to a stop in front of a wall of gorgeously painted screens. As they opened—Nobunaga: "You kept me waiting, Mai."

Mai: "Urn, I'm sorry." Nobunaga Oda sat alone on the dais. The power of his presence filled the room. Forming rows on either side of him Hideyoshi Toyotomi, Mitsunari Ishida-- Mitsuhide Akechi and leyasu Tokugawa. Masamune Date was there as well. Some of the country's brightest minds, strongest warlords, and infamous conquerors, all in one room.

Nobunaga: "Don't just stand there. Approach me."

Mai: "All right." Keeping a tender grip on my nerves, I approached Nobunaga and kneeled. Nobunaga: "Henceforth, you will reside in this castle and give your service to me." Mai: "As I said before, I have another job, so I must politely decline."

Nobunaga: "None of that matters to me. All you need to do is say 'Yes." His eyes are so cold. I was in a precarious situation, and I didn't think Nobunaga was going to be so gracious if I ran again. My best shot for going home is to spend the next three months here.

Mai: "Yes, Lord Nobunaga. I have a question though. How exactly am Ito serve you?"

Nobunaga: "However you like."

Mai: "Excuse me?" Nobunaga took my wrist, drawing me nearer. His fingers, I noticed, were elegantly long.

Nobunaga: "Your only duty is to stay nearby. That is what I need of you." His low voice was pleasant in my ears, though there wasn't a hint of kindness in his words. "You will be my lucky charm as I unify this nation and all that lies beyond."

Mai: "You want me around because I'm lucky?"

Nobunaga: "Yes. And don't fear. You shall be known as a princess from afar and will be treated as such. Spend your days on makeup, or cards and games if it suits you." l'm just supposed to loaf around for three months doing girly" things?

Mai: "No thank you. I'll go stir crazy if that's all I can do."

Nobunaga: "What?"

Masamune: "I agree with you, Mai. I'm the same way."

Nobunaga: "So be it. Then I appoint you as my chatelaine." A chatelaine? That's the caretaker of a castle, right?

Mitsunari: "What an excellent idea. Mai, I'll provide you with all the support you need to get started."

leyasu: "How could this waif possibly be any use?"

Hideyoshi: "It's Lord Nobunaga's decision, leyasu. Hold your tongue. Though only time will tell if we can trust her."

Mitsuhide: "Who says you have to? Just keep an eye on her. You're good at that, right? She may surprise you."

Nobunaga: "Then it's decided. Work hard and prove your worth to me, Mai." I let them talk without interrupting. Nobunaga was watching me, that wicked smile playing across his face.

I only have to put up with this for three months. Plus, I'll have Sasuke. Though having him around could hurt more than it helps, depending on why his bosses are here. Shingen Takeda and Kenshin Uesugi, right? They're unknowns at this point. And I can't -- literally can't--forget Yoshimoto and Yuki. Then again if start worrying now I know I'll never stop. It's time to get serious.

Mai: "I won't let you down." I'll survive my time here and make it back to the present! Nobunaga took my chin in his hand, raising my eyes to his. He looked satisfied.

Nobunaga: "I plan to take very good care of you, Mai." 

From that moment on, I began my life at Azuchi Castle. I had prepared myself for anything... Except for one thing: The possibility that I would actually find love here in these times of chaos and war.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...