ROYAL BLOOD | THE WHITE PRINC...

De arios2004

In which Nora of Lancaster continues to fight for her family and their rightful place on the throne of Englan... Mais

ROYAL BLOOD
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45

29

1.1K 46 23
De arios2004

ROYAL BLOOD
— 29. Confessions

    That night, Margaret ran into the chapel before throwing herself down on her knees as she began to pray, desperate for absolution.

She froze, hearing the door open and then close. She turned, knowing the person was Jasper the moment she heard him cough.

He seemed to be becoming more and more ill as each day passed. No one knew why.

"Margaret?" He called out, causing her to sigh in defeat before she stood up, "What is wrong?"

She took a deep breath, slowly turning to face him with a frantic look on her face. "I...I couldn't sleep," She confessed, feeling uneasy.

"Something is wrong. Tell me," Jasper insisted, a concerned look appearing on his face as he watched her pace around the chapel, "Perhaps I can share your burden. Is it Henry?" He asked and still, she didn't answer, causing him to become impatient, "Is it Elizabeth? What has she said to you? She is deranged. You said so yourself."

"One of them got away," She suddenly confessed, causing Jasper to frown in confusion since he didn't know what she was talking about.

"What?" he asked, a confused look on his face.

"The princes and Elizabeth's boys. One of them got away," She continued on, causing Jasper's frown to become even larger.

"Got away?" He asked, not knowing what she was getting at.

"Elizabeth told my physician, Doctor Lewis, years ago. She said, 'If you had four precious jewels, would you put all of them in the same box, especially when two of them were far more valuable than the others?'" She asked Jasper, not realizing she was telling someone who didn't already know about what she did, "Don't you see? She knew she couldn't get her own sons away, so she got one of Nora's out instead. Lord Strange said he had it handled, but one of them..." She trailed off, continuing to pace, "The older one, George, he had a dagger. He stabbed him in the arm and got away. When he didn't return to Westminster, we thought he was dead, but Elizabeth claims she took him away to safety.

"Margaret?" Jasper asked, a worried look on his face, "What did you do? What you speak of is murder."

Margaret froze, tears threatening to spill from her eyes as she turned to face Jasper. "It is not murder if it is God's will," She answered, feeling no guilt for what she did, only regret that all of them didn't die as they were supposed to.

"It was you!" Jasper practically growled at Margaret, a look of disbelief on his face.

"No, I—" Margaret began to say, only to be cut off.

"You killed them," Jasper continued on, horrified by what he had learned.

"I did not!" Margaret exclaimed, beginning to become defensive.

"You ordered it," Jasper corrected her in a furious tone.

Margaret shook her head, trying her best to convince Jasper it wasn't her fault before he told Henry, "I cannot know for certain if it was carried out."

"And what of Nora's girls? Were you behind that as well?" Jasper asked, tears beginning to form in his eyes as he thought of Katherine and how Nora insisted that it was Margaret and Lord Strange's doing while he had refused to believe it.

"They were Yorks," Margaret argued and Jasper was quick to argue.

"They were children," Jasper argued back, beginning to cry at the thought, "Nora's children. You are the reason she lost six of her children."

"It was God's will," Margaret repeated her usual excuse and at that moment, Jasper snapped.

"God's will?!" He yelled at her angrily, tears threatening to spill from his eyes, "You killed her children!" He pointed his finger at her, a furious look on his face, "There is no divinity in this."

Jasper turned his back to Margaret, trying to process what he had just learned. "Time and time again, I told her. I told her this family wasn't behind this. She gave me proof of Lord Strange being guilty and I denied it anyway. I refused to believe that you were capable of such a thing," He explained, looking down at the ground as he began to speak in a whisper, "As it turns out, she was right the entire time. I should have believed her. And now, it's too late. She's started a war because of it and I don't blame her. If you cost me as much as you cost her, I would have waged war a long time ago."

"Will you tell him?" Margaret asked worriedly as she referred to Henry.

Jasper stopped walking, but he still didn't answer her question. "I must think," He confessed after a moment of silence.

"He would not understand," Margaret began to tell Jasper, making her way over to him.

"You know he could never forgive you," Jasper responded, refusing to look Margaret in the eye, "You are the reason this war has even started. You had four of Nora's children by your orders, solely because of your jealousy toward her. And even now, you think only of yourself. That is the difference between you and her."

"No, Jasper, how can you say that of me?" Margaret complained, tears threatening to spill from her eyes as she walked toward him with a pleading look on her face, "To know this would destroy Henry. It would ruin our boy."

"If Henry is to be ruined..." Jasper trailed off, finally looking Margaret in the eye, "It'll be by your actions, not my telling of them."

Jasper roughly tugged his arm out of Margaret's grip, causing her to flinch as she watched him storm off.

_____

In Burgundy, Maggie walked through the castle alone, but the moment she heard Margaret and Cecily approaching, she scurried off, not wanting to be seen by them.

"You see?" Margaret asked, a large smile on her face, "She cannot catch him out. She cannot deny that George is her cousin."

"And if he is, what happens to him next?" Cecily asked, a curious look on her face.

"He takes back the throne of England," Margaret answered the obvious and Cecily tilted her head.

"Or?" She asked, giving her daughter a knowing look.

"Are you suggesting that we leave Henry Tudor be?" Margaret frowned at her mother, "That we allow him to rule while George is denied his birthright as Nora had been for years? She and I are fighting hard to win him allies, but we are just beginning."

"Or he dies," Cecily complained, an uneasily look on her face, "This is not the beginning of anything. It the continuation of a conflict that has claimed all of my sons and all of Nora's children, all but two. One of which is fighting on the other side."

Margaret stared at her mother, not saying anything, which caused Cecily to sigh in defeat. She shook her head in disapproval, just before walking away.

Soon enough, Cecily entered one of the sitting rooms, only to find Maggie in there alone.

Maggie's eyes widened, turning to face her grandmother. "Lady Grandmother. Has the party ended?"

"No," She answered, sounding almost annoyed by it as she made her way over to Maggie, "Your aunts will revel in their success until dawn."

As she took a seat beside Maggie, she began to cry. "Oh, Maggie," She softly spoke, pressing a kiss to her granddaughter's hand.

"Are you ill, Grandmother?" Maggie asked, a worried look on her face.

"No," Cecily shook her head, continuing to cry.

"Aren't you happy about the betrothal?" Maggie frowned and Cecily shook her head once more.

  "A betrothal means a marriage, and this marriage means war," She explained, turning to look at Margaret with tears spilling down her cheeks, "He is my grandson. How can I be happy about that?" She asked softly, "Oh, Maggie."

____

At the privy council meeting, the lords, all except Henry and Lizbeth rose when Margaret arrived late and took her seat to Henry's right.

"Why is Jasper absent?" Margaret asked, confused when she saw the seat beside hers was vacant.

"He is unwell," Henry replied calmly as he picked up the letter from Sir Richard Pole off the table, "We are told we must not worry," He turned, addressing the rest of the council as they took their seats, "Nora of Lancaster has revealed her plans. She hopes to win the Scottish army to his cause."

"There is no certainty of that, though, or even any great likelihood," Lizbeth explained in a calm tone as she shook her head, "If Cathy Gordon was the highest born bride that she could buy for him, then Europe is little more convinced of his identity than we are."

"The girl is just a minor noble," Lord Stanley complained, agreeing with Lizbeth for once, "If his claim is believed, you'd expect he'd win at least a French princess, if not a Spanish one."

"And Scotland is too poor to start a war," Lizbeth added in and numerous lords nodded their heads in agreement, "My mother may just be taunting you."

"I will discuss it with my uncle when he is recovered," Henry suddenly announced, refusing to speak of anything else while Jasper wasn't there to add in.

_____

In his rooms, as he laid in bed, Jasper insisted that his wife hand him a paper, ink, and quill, which she immediately did before leaving him alone in the room.

He groaned in pain, forcing himself to sit up as he began to write his letter to Nora.

Nora,

I never meant for you to know me as well as you did. When my mother died and I was brought to court alongside my brother Edmund, King Henry had acknowledged us as his brothers but he did not do much else. Your father did, though. We weren't bound to him by blood as we were with Henry, but Thomas treated us like family.

He was like an older brother to Edmund, but to me, he was like a father. I idolized him. He gave me my first sword and he taught me all that I know. He was my mentor.

I wasn't supposed to know you as I did. You were his daughter. The daughter who was known throughout Europe as the most beautiful woman in England.

I never meant to let you in as I did. But I did it anyway. I couldn't help myself. Over the years, I fell in love with you. Despite that, I should have not kissed you that first time when we were children. It led to nothing but a broken heart for me, even after all these years.

I don't regret it, though. I don't regret falling in love with you. As I have loved no one else. No one but you.

They called me a fool for loving you, especially when you became involved with Edward, but I couldn't help myself. And I know, a part of you cared for me, even then. You just couldn't admit it out loud and I don't blame you.

You defended me constantly in front of Edward, I'm told, even after I sided with King Henry to overthrow your York king. He hated it, I'm told. He hated that you were so willing to defend me to me and I thank you for that. I assume defending me never ended well.

Despite always being jealous that Edward got to have you while I did not, I was happy for you. Happy you weren't forced to marry Margaret of Anjou's son as I always assumed you would. I'm happy you found love with him.

I always wanted you to live a happy life, despite being born the rightful heir to the throne.

As you already know, if you hadn't been with Edward, you would have surely fought to take the throne and if you had, just know, Nora, I would have fought for you until my dying breath.

Not just because I loved you and still do, but because I know you would have been the greatest ruler England has seen in centuries.

There is something I must tell you, Nora, if I am to die as I know I will soon enough.

I hope you can forgive me. For not believing you when you told me what Margaret had done. You were right. I've learned that now. It's been years, but I finally understand why you've started this war.

Margaret and Henry have cost you everything and I do not blame you for waging war. I never had a child of my own but if I did and lost them as you did, I do not think I could hold it together as you have. In truth, you have a strength most men don't even have.

They call you mad, but I know that is not true. You've had your heart broken beyond repair and it has changed you. You've lost your mother, your father, the man you love, Richard, and all your children. No one would be the same after losing so many people they cared about.

If I were you, I wouldn't have been able to remain as strong as you have. I admire you for that.

You were right, Nora. Margaret is the reason Katherine died and I'm sorry I didn't believe you for that. I hope that I can be forgiven before I am to die. Because I don't wish to die knowing you hate me. Even after all this tome, I love you and I hope I can be forgiven for my sins. I did not mean to hurt you as I did and if you let me, I hope to make it up to you.

Sincerely,
Jasper Tudor

____

In the throne room, Henry and Lizbeth sat on their thrones as Sir Richard and Maggie stood before them.

"Sir Richard, Lady Margaret Pole. We welcome your return," Henry greeted the duo, both he and Lizbeth noticing how Richard look calm while Maggie looked uneasy.

"Your Grace, our mission to Burgundy has proven fruitful," Sir Richard informed Henry, who kept his eyes fixed on Maggie.

"You questioned the boy as I asked, My Lady?" Henry questioned Maggie, raising a brow at her.

"Yes, Your Grace," Maggie replied, nodding her head with a nervous look on her face.

"And?" Henry asked Maggie almost desperately, "Did you recognize him as your blood? Is he George of York?"

Lizbeth watched Maggie closely, noticing how her cousin seemed hesitant to answer.

"He is not a man whom I have ever seen before," Maggie answered uneasily.

   "He is an imposter then?" Henry questioned Maggie, leaning forward in his seat, "Not your cousin? Not Prince George?"

Maggie turned to look back at Lizbeth and then back at Henry. "No, Your Grace," she lied, but everyone believed her, all but Lizbeth, despite not admitting it.

"Is this the evidence?" He asked Richard Pole, gesturing to the small cloth bag he held.

"Yes, Your Grace," Sir Richard responded as Henry was handed the bag.

"Sir Pole..." Henry trailed off as he opened the bag and took out one of the seals, "brought home the wax seals of every traitor who has written to Nora of Lancaster, pledging fealty to the boy. Proof of treachery from their own hands."

Henry was silent for a long moment, looking down to read the first seal, "Sir Boswell," He announced as he revealed the seal to his subjects, "Take him."

"Lord Smithson," He announced and after the man was taken away, he read the next one, "Dorley."

Reading the fourth one, Henry looked unfazed. "Elizabeth Woodville."

Henry felt uneasy as he picked up the next seal. He feared who would be the next person. Every other person whose name was revealed was escorted out of the room, each of them with unbothered and prideful looks on their faces.

His eyes suddenly widened as he read the next seal. Horrified, he turned to look at the Stanleys, who gave him a questioning look. "Sir William Stanley."

The crowd gasped, seeing as though Sir William was one of Henry's most trusted advisors, the man whose support was one of the main reasons Henry remained on the throne.

If someone so close to Henry had chosen Nora over him, who else was against him?

"No," Margaret gasped, she and Lord Stanley, turning to the man in shock.

"It's a lie," Lord Stanley argued in a stern tone, "Surely, brother?"

"I am loyal..." Sir William spoke up, beginning to walk forward before he turned to face Henry, "To the rightful king...George of York!"

The moment he said Richard's name, the guards dragged Sir William away.

Lizbeth turned to Henry, realizing how hurt he was by the betrayal. She grabbed him by the hand, squeezing it in comfort.

____

    Henry quickly stood up and stormed off, Lizbeth following soon after him.

Moments later, Lizbeth stood in the empty council room with Henry, who was trying to keep his calm after realizing just how many people were against him.

"Will Elizabeth be executed?" Lizbeth asked, a curious look on her face. She sighed, however, when Henry nodded his head, "And William Stanley? And the others?"

"You know what I must do," Henry complained, refusing to say it out loud.

"And you must do it," Margaret insisted as she entered the room, "If they have lied to you."

"Your Grace?" Jasper's wife, Catherine Woodville, suddenly called out as she entered the room and bowed to Henry, "Your uncle wishes to speak with you. He wishes to speak to you..." she trailed off, turning to look at Lizbeth, "And the queen. There is something he'd like for her to send out for him. A letter."

"Is he recovering?" Lizbeth asked worriedly as she moved closer to the woman.

"No, Your Grace, but he is very—" She began to explain, only to be cut off by Margaret.

"The King and the Queen have pressing matters to concern themselves with. I will see to Jasper," Margaret demanded in a stern tone, causing Nora to turn to her in confusion.

Catherine nodded, bowing to her king and queen before leaving.

"Tell him I will see him presently," Henry told his mother, who nodded and left the room.

Once she was gone, Lizbeth sighed, making her way over to where Henry took his seat. "She purposely did that, you know," Lizbeth spoke up, causing Henry to turn to her and frown.

"What are you talking about?" He asked, not knowing what she was getting at.

"Your mother does not wish for you to know what Jasper would like to tell you in his last moments," Lizbeth explained, making her way over to him.

"And what may that be?" Henry asked, clearly not believing what she was getting at.

Lizbeth shrugged, giving Henry a look he knew meant she knew something that he didn't. "Perhaps you should find out on your own," She replied in a calm tone, "Or just what Jasper wishes for me, of all people, to send out."

Henry nodded, agreeing with Lizbeth. She moved closer to him, placing her hands on his shoulders as they found themselves in deep thought about the whole ordeal.

A few long moments passed, just before Catherine came running in, a saddened look on her face.

Once being told of Jasper's demise, Henry had jolted up from his seat, running in the direction of his uncle's room with his wife and Catherine following soon after him.

They made it to the room and Henry rushed toward his uncle's corpse. He grabbed Jasper's hand, kneeling at his bedside as he sobbed loudly.

Lizbeth stood in place for a long moment, shocked by the whole ordeal. She turned her head, noticing the piece of paper burning in the fireplace while a glass of ink was spilling from Jasper's nightstand, onto the ground. A quill laid on the ground as well, causing Lizbeth to realize what was going on.

She sighed, taking a deep breath before running over to Henry. She placed a hand on his shoulder and Henry turned to her, immediately hugging his wife as she comforted him.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

The letter Jasper wrote Nora though 😭

You gotta be honest, no matter how many times they were on opposing sides, Jasper ALWAYS had Nora's back and now we see that he's the only one from the Tudor side that understands why she becomes the person she's become. Not even her own daughter sees that.

They deserved better ngl😭

And Nora will never get to read the letter cuz if it isn't obvious, Margaret burned it 😭😭

Question: Who is your favorite romantic relationship for Nora?

And who's your favorite friendship/family bond for Nora?

(It can be from either this story or love and war)

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

Arthur De Sissa

Ficção Histórica

119K 4.3K 44
Elizabeth of York married Henry Tudor after the bloody War of the Roses ended. Their first son, Arthur, represented everything England needed: union...
245K 7.4K 123
- 𝐹𝑜𝑟𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑚𝑎𝑦 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑟𝑒𝑖𝑔𝑛 - It's the year 1464 and Eleanor Woodville lives at Grafton Manor as one of the younger daughters of Jacqu...
20.5K 485 16
As a woman, Adrienne faces many battles, including the struggle to embrace her emotions after training herself to be strong and keep them in check, e...
50.7K 1.4K 85
- 𝐸𝑚𝑝𝑖𝑟𝑒𝑠 𝑟𝑖𝑠𝑒, 𝐸𝑚𝑝𝑖𝑟𝑒𝑠 𝑓𝑎𝑙𝑙 - It's the year 1485 and King Richard III has been slain at the battle of Bosworth along with his...