Romanogers Stories

By avxncarolnat

Between missions and private life, follow Steve and Natasha in their search for happiness! Unless explicit i... More

Eternity
Return (Part I)
Return (Part II)
Return (Part III)
Stay with me
Whatever it takes
Come back to me
A promise (Part I)
A promise (Part II)
You and me
A tear on the floor (Part I)
A tear on the floor (Part II)
Save me from myself
Moving on

Before it's too late

829 27 5
By avxncarolnat

« Wanda, have you seen Nat? »

« Last time I saw her, she was in the kitchen, Clint. »

Clint makes his way to the kitchen. There's a delicious smell of cake in the air. Judging by the smell of lemon, it must be Pepper's famous lemon ginger cake. The sounds of glass resonate. The Avengers' tower, usually so quiet, is for one evening the scene of festivities. After all, it's not every day they can celebrate Hydra's fall. When Clint arrives at the door, he glances around the room and locates Nat, sitting on a stool. She seems to be in the middle of a conversation with Carol. Clint smiles. He loves to see them talking. They look like two sisters. He comes back into the living room and sits on the sofa.

« Lost in your thoughts, Hawkeye? »

Clint startles. He hadn't heard Steve coming up behind him.

« I'm just enjoying the party. I don't think that's against the law. »

Steve laughs. « No, I don't think so either. »

« Are you all right, Captain? I know this kind of party isn't really your thing. »

« It's okay, don't worry about it. Besides, it's the team. - He looks around - it's kind of like a big family reunion. Even Jarvis is in on the party. »

« Speaking of Jarvis, nothing to do with it but did you notice how close Nat and Carol have gotten? I'm so happy that Nat is finally opening up. »

Steve frowns and stares at his glass. Clint bites his lip. He's forgotten how complicated it was between Steve and Nat. For almost a month now, there's been constant tension in the air whenever they're in the same room. So much so that Clint never knows whether they're going to kiss or fight. When Nat declared her love to Steve, shortly before their attack on one of Hydra's last bases, it surprised everyone, Steve first. Not knowing what to do, Steve didn't answer and ran out of the room. Nat then closed in on herself and acted as if nothing had happened. However, Clint noticed the little twitch in her hand every time Steve entered the room. He noticed that no matter what happened, she managed not to be alone with Steve in the room. He noticed that she never looks directly at Steve. Most importantly, he noticed the look on Steve's face when he looks at Nat, the look that says it all.

« You know, you should talk to her, » he says seriously.

« Talk to who? »

« Nat, of course. »

« And why should I do that? »

« Because if this goes on and Tony gets involved, you won't be able to resist for long. I feel like he's had enough, and knowing him, he'd be able to lock you two in a room for days. You know he would. »

Steve sighs. « I didn't know it was that obvious... But I can't do this. »

« I know it's hard, but you should do it before it's too late. And by too late, I mean before Tony kills one of you OR before someone else gets in the way. »

« I'll think about it, okay? »

Steve smiles and puts his hand on Clint's shoulder. Eager for a change of scenery, he wanders around the room. There are a lot of people, the Avengers of course, but also other people he has never seen before. Without realizing it, his footsteps lead him to the side of the bar, where Nat is now in the middle of a conversation with a man. And even though he doesn't know him, Steve immediately hates him. Not wanting to be noticed, he sits on the other side of the bar.

« Jarvis, is Nat wearing her earpiece? »

« Yes, Captain. »

« Connect me. »

« I'm not sure Miss Romanoff would want- »

« Connect me, Jarvis. »

Steve turns on his own transmitter. Instantly, Nat's voice reaches him. Still talking to the man, she doesn't seem to have noticed that the red light on her earpiece has come on, symbolizing Steve's intrusion.

« So you're the famous Black Widow... », says the man as he looks around.

Nat laughs. Steve's heart misses a beat. My God, he loves that laugh.

« Yes, but before I'm the Black Widow, I'm also a woman, you know? »

« Yes, of course - the man smiles - and I guess this is where all the missions are handled from. »

Steve sighs. He never thought it would turn out this way. When he ran away, it wasn't because he didn't want to answer, but because he was really confused about his own feelings. He had only loved Peggy before, and he didn't expect to fall in love again. He had to take some time to understand his feelings before he came back. But she's been avoiding him ever since, and he hasn't found a single moment to talk to her alone. He blames himself for waiting so long. He should have dealt with the situation sooner. Maybe he's the one that would make Nat laugh tonight. Steve observes the stranger. The way he looks at her makes him want to crush his face. The man suddenly takes Nat's hand. But what's worse, Natasha doesn't push him away. Steve feels his whole body tensing. He squeezes the edge of the table so hard that the joints of his hands are white. He focuses again on their conversation.

« Listen - the man looks at Nat's hand, still in his - I know it sounds strange but... are you seeing anyone right now? »

Steve's screaming inside. « YES! » he thinks, « SHE'S NOT AVAILABLE. »

« No, not really. »

Steve's jaw drops. Of all the answers she could have given, he never imagined it would be the one she'd choose. He's so shocked, he's paralyzed. He can't move, even when the stranger starts dragging Nat behind him and they leave the room. He knows he screwed up when he left him, but he never thought Nat would give up on him so easily. It takes several minutes before he regains his motor skills. Gathering his thoughts, he gets up and decides to follow the duo from a distance.

« Jarvis, locate them with the security cameras, please. »

Following Jarvis' instructions, Steve catches up with Nat and the stranger as they enter the elevator. They're still holding hands. By the time Steve decides whether to intervene, the doors are already closed.

« Shit... »

Cursing himself, he runs to the stairs.

« Jarvis, what floor? »

« 52nd floor, Cap. »

52nd? Does that mean... No, it doesn't. Not so fast. Not so fast. Not so fast. Steve turns his head. There's a huge 40 on the wall.

« You've got to be kidding me... »

For once, Steve's really grateful to have the serum. He walks up the stairs hoping to get there in time. When he gets there, Nat and the man get out of the elevator. Steve's heart misses another beat. That's what he was afraid of. He watches them stand in front of a door. Nat's room. She unlocks the door.

« Please, Natasha, don't do this... » Steve begs her silently.

They go into the room. The door closes... only to open again three seconds later, literally exploding under Steve's force.

« Steve? What the... »

Ignoring Nat, Steve concentrates on the stranger. He looks him straight in the eye, hoping he'll feel as bad as possible.

« You have exactly ten seconds to leave this room before I smash your head against the wall, » he says calmly.

The man scoffs. « And who are you to talk to me like that? Her father? I can do what I want, with whom I want. Even fucking the Black Wid- »

His sentence gets lost in his throat. Quick as lightning, Steve jumps forward and hits him with a masterful punch, sending him waltzing across the room. Nat rushes towards him, making Steve even angrier. With one hand, she helps the stranger to his feet. There's blood everywhere.

« HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND, ROGERS? »

Steve doesn't answer, he's still staring at the stranger. His whole body trembles under the influence of adrenaline and anger.

« STEVE! ANSWER ME! »

« Not now, Nat. »

« STE- »

« I SAID NOT NOW! »

She takes a step back, in shock. It's the first time she's ever heard Steve scream. She looks at the man.

« You'd better go fix your nose. I'll call you later. »

The stranger does not answer and leaves the room without further ado. She looks at him, before turning to Steve. The latter, still trembling, turns his back on her and starts walking towards the door.

« Don't even think about leaving, Rogers! »

Steve freezes. Slowly, he turns around and faces the woman he loves.

« What do you want, Natasha? »

« What do I want? What do I WANT? I should be asking you that! First, you come here, you interrupt me and BY ALL THE GODS WHO GIVED YOU THE RIGHT TO COME HERE? I do what I want! »

« Oh come on! A month ago you told me you loved me and now you're flirting with this guy? »

« Don't put this on me! You're the one who ran away, you're the one who abandoned me, it's your fault! »

« I ran away because I needed to understand my feelings, not because I didn't want you! »

« Oh, so I was supposed to figure this out on my own? I'm sorry I'm not a genius then. » Nat replies, openly mocking Steve.

« Excuse me, but what kind of person changes their mind so quickly? »

« YOU. ABANDONED. ME! »

Steve moves fast towards Nat.

« I didn't abandon you! You didn't even give me a chance to talk to you! You've been avoiding me for weeks! When was I supposed to answer? »

« When I asked you! It was the right time! »

« So you're saying that now it's too late? »

« Yeah it-, wait, what? »

Natasha looks at Steve, half lost, half shocked. Steve notices hope in her eyes. He sighs.

« Can I answer you now or is it too late? »

She frowns. « There's nothing to say to Steve. I get it. You don't love me, I get it. No need to run away again. »

Even though she's faking it, Steve can hear the pain in her voice. It breaks his heart to see her suffering and to know that he's the cause. That's why he can't wait any longer. With one step, he walks the few inches that separate him from her. Slowly, he takes her face in his hands and presses her lips against Nat's. It's Nat's turn to freeze. She doesn't know how to react. She doesn't know if she wants to forgive Steve. But the feeling of Steve's lips against hers - that feeling - is the best thing she's ever felt. Steve doesn't just kiss her. He tastes it, taking everything from her soul. Steve is in heaven. The softness of Nat's skin under his fingers, the warmth of his lips, the closeness of their bodies... Steve feels like he's lived only for this moment. He gently bites Nat's lower lip, and she lets out a moan. Suddenly, she pushes Steve away, breathing heavily.

« Please, Steve, don't do this. » She whispers.

« Don't do what? »

« Don't give me hope. Don't give me hope and then leave me. I mean, I think... I can't... I can't take it. Not one more time. »

Steve smiles. Taking Nat's cheek in his hand, he presses his forehead against hers and whispers:

« I promise I'll never leave you again. I'm all yours, from this day until my last day. I need you to be complete. I need you to live. I want to grow old with you, to laugh with you, to cry with you. I want to see your future because you're full of surprises and I love that. I want your fights to be mine, I want to fix your mistakes, I want to heal your heart. And most of all, I want you to be mine. I'm really sorry I made you suffer like that, it wasn't meant to be, but it wasn't fair. I promise I'll make it up to you if you give me a chance. »

Steve feels something wet on his fingers. He looks up at Nat crying.

« You know what would be nice? » She asks him, tears still coming out of her eyes.

« No? »

« That you always carry tissues with you. » she lets out with a watery smile.

« Oh, my God, Nat... »

Steve hugs her. She wraps her arms around Steve's chest and buries her face in her neck. Steve puts his hand through Nat's messy hair. No matter how long they stay like that. She just wants to take advantage of their closeness, when Steve focuses on her breathing, stroking her hair to calm her down. After a while, Nat's breathing finally returns to normal. She places her hands on Steve's chest and gently pushes him away. Steve looks at her worried. She notices him and soothes him:

« Don't worry, I'm all right. I'm fine. I just need to go to the bathroom to look human again. »

Her eyes are still red and puffy. She looks like someone who hasn't slept for several days. Her hair is a mess, although Steve is no stranger to it.

« Alright, I'll wait here for you. »

She nods and goes to the bathroom. Five minutes later, she's ready. She comes back to Steve, who's sitting on his bed.

« Let's just go, okay? » Nat says to Steve, offering her hand.

Without hesitation, Steve takes it. « Yeah, let's do it. »

When they enter the party room again, hand in hand, Tony elbows Clint and nods in their direction.

He says, « Look over there. »

Clint turns his head and spots the new couple. Tony looks at him with amused eyes and a smile on his face.

« It's about time, don't you think? »

Clint laughs and nods. Yeah, it's about time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 363 12
Pretty self-explanatory. 12 short SteveNat Oneshots in the run up to Christmas.
91K 2K 43
Steve Rogers/Captain America based One Shots.
207K 5.5K 60
A series of one-shots based around the relationship between Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff. Enjoy! (I do not own any of these characters)
34.5K 270 39
Hope You Enjoy!