My Nightmare Crush

By _SiaraL_

He used to be my crush, now he's my nightmare. ******************** Long story short: We knew each other sinc... More

Advises
Description
Cast
Prologue
1|| How this year is gonna be
2|| Broken and pitiable
3|| Seat's taken
4|| He likes you!
5|| That was so hot
6|| What pill?
7|| You're stuck with me
8|| Obviously
9|| Push and pull
10|| Sounds 'bout boring
11|| Wanna bet?
12|| Attention whore
13|| I'm motherfucking especial!
14|| Start over
15|| Done
16|| How can I believe you?
17|| I promise
18|| Are we talking about the same Brett?
19|| Looks like you need it
20|| Don't flinch
21|| Why keep up with this shit?
22|| I knew this picture
23|| Such a perv
24|| Friend zone?
25|| You'll figure it out
26|| I didn't mean to
27|| Playing it down
28|| Sober heart
29|| The rug was pulled
30|| Waiting
31|| Turn of events
33|| Fifth wheel
34|| Claim my prize
35|| Was it worth it?
Bonus part || Brett's POV
36|| PART ONE || Handle it your way
36|| PART TWO || Always
37|| Me neither
38|| I won't let go
Epilogue
Bonus part || 1 Year Later
Bonus part || 4th of July
CONNOR
NEW STORY
Thank you

32|| Doors open, remember?

7.7K 346 60
By _SiaraL_

Dedicated to DemiStyles20 and QueenWannabe67 for being the firsts to vote and comment last chapter <3

BRETT: I need to show you something REALLY important. Can you come over??

I had reread it provably over ten times now but it still amazed me and puzzled me. What could Brett may want to 'show' me that was that urgent it couldn't wait until tomorrow?

I hadn't heard the text arriving since I was too distracted with our little twirl competition with Connor. I won; as good as he was with the skateboard, there's a lot more options and mobility in roller shoes. But he took it well. A small purse in his brows was all I get as I laugh and 'brag' only to see if I could get a reaction from him. That until we reached our belongings and I saw this cryptic message.

Connor took a huge gulp of the bottle he brought with him and when he noticed my sudden confusion looked up with a frown. "What?"

"It's..." the words faded. What was I going to say? A weird text? I shook my head, dispersing the daze and slid my fingers across the screen. "It's just Brett."

ALYSON: What is it?

I rose my gaze just in time to see the look in the blonde's face. I furrowed my brows. "What now?" he shrugged one shoulder, as if saying 'I ain't said anything', but the slight twitch of his lip shown his amusement. I sat on the ruin's rock, unlacing my rollers. "You're acting oddly cheerful today. Has it something to do with you going back to Clayton tomorrow?"

It surprised me how fast the three day's supension he got had been. Jade hadn't bothered me ever again and I guess the lack of Noel made it all a lot more tolerable there. Now people that looked at me was mostly when Brett was there... which was always. He's made his job to walk me to class, pick me up and drop me home, and spend lunch with us... except today that he had an important practice.

He was determined to make it up for the past years and prove he meant what he said. That he liked me. And for it he took every chance to be sweet or caring making my heart melting my heart -even more.

Connor gave me a flat look as I put on my normal shoes. "Why would I be happy about that?"

"Oh, well, I... I don't know." I bit my lip. "I just thought- Never mind." With a sighed I stood, hanging the bag and skates over my shoulder as walked by him out the church's ruins. "So what is it then?"

"You're delusional." he deadpanned and I rolled my eyes. By now, I was beginning to know him enough to notice the tiny signs of his change of moods, and today he was happy. Whether he wanted to admit it or not.

My phone beeped.

BRETT: wouldn't be a surprise if I told you

                 can you come or not?

A knot of excitement clenched my guts. I bit my lip, hesitating for a second before letting my curiousity get the best of me.

ALYSON: Alright

                   But only a bit, I'm cooking tonight

BRETT: no problem

ALYSON: Coming now, then.

BRETT: waiting, then

I wasn't aware of the smile in my face until I noticed Connor's pointed look. I couldn't wiped it away, tho.

"He got something he want to show me. But wouldn't tell me what." I explained, feeling lightheaded with all the options running through my mind.

"Red heads are crazy."

I gave him a side glance, not believing he just stated something like that, but Connor just returned the look. "Your sister's hair is pink."

He shrugged, unbothered. "And she's the craziest of them all."

I laughed. "I guess I can't argue that."

True to our now familiar dynamic, I rambled for the rest of the walk, and as per usual he nodded and made the simples remarks here and there. But, well, he was interacting at least. A month ago this would had seemed impossible and now here we were.

I talked about a lot and nothing, with those word vomits that seemed to characterize me. Of course, any try I made for him to talk about Heather was abruptly cut so I just learned not to insist. If he felt like it, he'd open up about her at it's due time.

At some point, things turned around the Spring Ball. I still surprized he'd accepted being my date. I told him my dress' color and stuff. I knew he'd said he wouldn't wear a suit, and more than probably he'd show up however he felt like it, but just in case he wanted to match or something... well I just drop it and let him act on it or not. His choice. And I'd be fine with whatever he chose.

We parted at the market, where he went along to his house while I diverted towards Brett's, nerves eating me alive. What could he probably wanted to show me? Show me? And that couldn't wait until tomorrow?

The pessimist in me struggle to take the light and tell me he's finally gonna tell he's done with me. Dealing with me. But I forced that awful voice down. No. He wouldn't do that two days after confessing his feelings. Right? But I was mouth dried and slightly trembling in anticipation by the time I reached Ryder's lovely home.

I knocked. Each time my knuckles met the wooden surface felt like a pang in my chest, expecting the worst.

Julia Ryder came to the door, confused, yet her face immediately lighted up when she saw it was me standing there. "Alyson, dear. Come in. Brett's taking Bolt out for his walk but he'll be back in no time."

"Oh." why would he sent me that text if he wasn't even here to receive me? Now I look like an idiot...

"Actually, it perfect your here. Come see what I've found." Julia made dropped the roller shoes by the door and happily pulled to the living room. In the coffe table before the couch there was one of those family albums with pictures. This had a bookmark pooping from the top. Julia made me sit, a huge smile as she took the album and pull it to her lap. "Since you were here yesterday I began thinking about you and Brett, you know?" I blushed as she laughed fondly, her fingers tracing the side of the album. "I was thinking back when we went to this vacations together, you remember? What a great summer, uh? And, here." she opened it and the picture marked made my heart grew warm with longing and melancholy. "Look what I've found."

It shown Brett and I in that camping so many years ago. Both our families had gone for the whole summer to this place. I remembered this summer. Certain moments more than others. It was the summer I realized I love Brett more than any other of my friends, but didn't undestand it then.

I carefully took the picture and inspected it closely.

My seven-year-old was smiling brightly at the camera, not-caring one tooth was missing, and my arms were wrapped around an also grinning Brett who had a huge ice-cream on one hand. Brett's stare was on the old me and I shuddered as I remember the kind of warm looks he sent me those days. The kinda looks that made me fall for him.

"Yes." I smiled shyly at the memory and muttered. "We were pretty close."

"Pretty close?" Julia snickered. "You were inseparable. He followed you everywhere." she laughed tenderly as I blushed. "Just like a lost puppy. We knew then you got him fallen head over heels for you." My heart halted at her statement and I quickly put down the picture, embarrassed.

"I don't remember that."

"Well, I do. The poor child was so obvious... Your mother and I were sure you were going to end together."

My startled gaze rose to met hers. "You... you did?"

"Ah, darling." she cuped my cheek. "You're mom was convinced. She joked about it all the time when you left to play or whatever you guys did all those times."

I smiled sadly, the longing in my chest crushing me harder. The memory of my mother was so precious yet so painful... like I wanted to evoke it yet keep it down at all cost. What I really wanted was to have her here.

"And that's the second thing." Julia tuned back to the album and pass to the next bookmark as I struggled to compose myself. Come on, Alyson, you need to get over yourself. Don't make a scene now. But all those thoughts vanished into nothing when she handed me the next picture.

There they were. Both, my mother and father, sat on one of those beach bars; dressed in light fresh clothes, the way they hairs were slightly disheveled and damp indicated they probably were taking a dip in the ocean not too long before the picture was taken. My dad's hand was over the table, half locked around an almost empty drink while my mother's fingers were outstretched to caress his. And between their bodies stood seven-year-old-toothless-me. In a green sundress and my arms looped on both their necks, smiling cheekly at the camera.

My eyes watered as I scanned their grinning faces. I didn't remember that photo been taken but I could almost sense them in my arms, feel the sea's breeze and heard their soft laughs. I could almost experience that moment again. A moment of joy and love. A moment I couldn't even remember.

"I wanted to give it to you." Julia spoke softly, yet I flinched away, embarrassed she'd seen me like this.

"I-I'm sorry, I just..."

"Hey, it's okay." I felt her sliding closer and she made me look at her, wiping away my barely unlashed tears and her motherly gesture only made my heart fluttered more. "I cried for them too, at times. It's okay. You must miss them badly and it's okay." she smiled but it was a sad smile. "I'm sure they'll be happy to see who you are now."

I blinked fast, feeling more water forming again in my eyes. "Y-you think that?"

"Of course." she petted my hair and let it filled me with warm, only then realizing the sad hint in her eyes too. "You look so much like her."

I formed a shaky smile. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it." she gestures to the beautiful picture in my hands. "And keep it. You should totally have it, dear."

The cracked of the front door snapped us out this little dense bubble of emotions and memories. I look down at the picture one more time, happy Julia'd given it to me and opened my bag to carefully slide it into my folder.

"I'm back!" we heard Brett's call right before Bolt came barking at our legs. Julia stood, clearing her throat and straightening herself while I wiped all the remaing tears I had just as Brett entered the living room. "I've seen Alyson's roller- Oh, you're here." he smiled. "Great." but then noticed how down we look and frowned. "What's going on?"

"N-nothing." I forced out a smile and got up as well but it didn't fool him.

"What's wrong?" In a second he was by my side, eying me up and down looking for whatever it was that got me like this. My heart stirred at his worried, frowning face.

"We just got a little emotional remembering past memories." cooed Julia calmly.

Brett looked at her, down were the album was resting on the caffee table and seemed to understand. When his eyes turned to me once again they were gentler. "I see." and took my hand leading me to the stairs muttering a quick goodbye to his mother. Once in his room he softly shut it and cupped my face drowning me in those burning blue wells. "Are you sure you're okay?"

I diverted my gaze, uncomfortable at what I found in his. "I don't need your pity."

"It's not that." he dropped his hands, sounding hurt I said that and my stomach twisted. "I just worry for you."

"D-don't." I took in a shaky breath, hating hurting him so I recomposed myself and took his hand, giving it a gently squeez. "I'm sorry. We were talking about my p-parents and..." my voice cracked, getting emotional again. He squeezed back and tugged me so next second I was in his arms. I burried my face in his shoulder, letting his embrace brought warm back inside me. Fill the aching void in my chest. "I'm sorry." I repeat against his shirt.

"I'm sorry." he pressed his cheek on the top of my head tracing circled in my spine. "And not in a pitiful way. My lost wasn't at all like yours, but I loved them too."

I smiled at the melting sensation in my heart of hearing him say that. "I-I know." I let his comfort soaked me for a couple more seconds before composing myself back up and awkwardly pulling away. So much for not making a scene. "So," I chuckled, trying to brush the previous tension away. "What is it you wanted to show me? Please let it be something good."

He grinned back. "Oh you got no idea." I watched him moved to the his desk and took a thick envolvement. When he turned to me again he had this barely conceiled excitement, genuine spark in beaming in his eyes. "I..." but he smiled almost anxiously and brushed his nape. "I don't know how to begin."

Curiosity bit my insides, making me tilted my head. "What is it?"

"I... Fuck, don't get mad at me, okay?"

That wasn't exactly what I'd expected some good new to start. My brows knitted together in hesitation, nerves cramping me. "Why would I?"

"Just... listen first, okay." he gestured for me to take a seat and I carefully did on the hem of his mattress, watching him spung the swivel chair before his desk so it was facing me and plopped down as well. Pushing himself closed with his heels and fiddling with that letter. "Do you remember... the last day of junior year?"

I immediately tensed, not having expectat that approach of all the ones playing in my hyperactive imagination. "Yes. You broke my camera." I voiced, feeling the frustration and hurt as if I was living it all over again.

Not only that camera was probably the most expensive possession I owned, but he also erased my potential schoolarship since I couldn't fullfiel the desmotrations I had prepared for them.

Brett flinched, looking down at his hands. I could tell reviving it wasn't a pleasant experience for him either and again I wondered how was that the end of something that apparetally was good.

"It was never meant to happen, you know?" his voice quavered and he cleared his throat. "I was nervous because I was about to leave for that course and would be away for so long... I wasn't prepared for that. I wanted to... I don't know, leave in good terms, I guess? It obviously didn't turn out as I planned but I was just supposed to mess with you a bit. Stupid, harmless. But then it fell and I ruin your chances and..." his words faded and I forced myself to look away, bitting my bottom lip to prevent all those bad feelings that consumed me back then to come again.

"I get it." barely, but I believed him when he said he didn't meant to actually cause that mess. "But what does any of that have to do with this?"

His electric blue eyes found mine again and as usual I felt this twitch in the pit of my stomach. His evident regret only making it more noticible. "I know I fuck up, okay? I knew you were meeting those people and applying for the scholarship and I blew it all up." he gulped. "But when you ran away I saw the... the broken camera there and I took it just in case. You didn't hear me out, so I couldn't give it back and I thought I had made something irreversible..." I shifted on my spot. Well, he kinda did. I'd lost the chance. I was hanging on this Nebraska opportunity because USC was way far beyond my reach without help. "So I keep the SD card and when they got a hold of me for my applycation I kinda send it..."

My heart skipped a beat. He what? This time it was me who snapped my gaze up to met his, startled and confused. Had I heard right? No. I didn't dare to believe so, but his slow growing smile was there...

"W-what?"

"Your SD." he repeated. "It still got your shots. You never gave me the chance to give it back. So I took it upon myself and with the right amount of pressure they accept to look at it."

I gasped, bringing my hands to my mouth.

"You didn't." Was that even viable?

"I did. And you know what? They agreed and, well." he shook the envolvement making my wide gaze shifted over it. "They've answered."

"Impossible."

He let out a short laugh holding the letter towards me. "Don't know what exactly this says, but summarized, they love them and accept to give you a chance to enter they summer program."

I gawked at him.

"They didn't."

"They did."

"No way."

"Better start believing it, Lys." he mustered amusedly pushing the envelopment in my hands.

Trembling, I ripped it open and my eyes rushed to scan over the words. 'Dear miss Alyson White, we're congratulated to announced you-'

Too much. It couldn't be. It was too perfect to be true and I felt my heart about to burst.

Brett got up again, going to his desk to take his phone and went through it. "They'll be here in a couple weeks I think they say... Yeah." he announce founding what he was looking for. "So you can prepare a proper presentation and win them over, impress them."

So it was true then. He did it. I didn't realize I was smiling 'til he mirrored my grin.

"But how...? You-?" I couldn't even talk properly. My mind in frenezy processing everything.

Something shone behind his eyes and he looked away placing the device back in the wooden surface. "Well, uh, it actually was my fault you couldn't get to that chance so... So I thought that this will make it." he looked down scratching the back of his nape. " I- I know it's not the same but the summer course could be linked with a scholarship as well."

I blinked, something warm was filling my chest and I felt about to explode. He... he was mending the whole camera disaster. He was giving me an opportunity -a golden opportunity- to follow my dreams. Yes, this wasn't the straight scholarship chance I got last year. This was better! I might get a course and then the scholarship. Was this for real?

Brett surprised me further when he spoke again: "I've already talken to Loui and he was happy to lend you the Studio two sundays from now so you can perform it or whatever there. We also can bring-" He couldn't finish his sentense 'cause I suddenly jumped on him and threw my arms around his neck, squeezing him tightly.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

He gasped in surprise at my sudden outbrust, but quickly recover and hugged me back, leaning back againt his desk. I felt his heart forcefully hammering on his chest, pounding against my own. He let out a shaky breath and burried his face on my hair. In my glee I only realized the intimate of this position when I felt his nose brushing my jaw line and gave me goosebumps.

I reluctantly peeled myself from him and smiled shyly. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it." but instead of letting go he kept his hands on my hips, mine over his chest and the heat between us enough to made my cheeks red.

I lowered my gaze where my fingers where absently fiddling with a seam in his shirt and focused there instead of his eyes. This close and with this building tension I didn't trust myself. "So," I cleared my throat, struggling to analyzed his words and not how his palms spread warmth even through my clothes. "You're going to USC?"

His hummed vibrated through me since we were this close, making this feeling in my guts sparkled, magnified. "It all depends on the game against Richmore."

I frowned and tilted my head, still focused on the patern of his shirt knowing this was safer turf than those blue orbs that burn through me. "What do you mean?"

"Well, I almost got it all verbally agreed back in this intensive I took last trimestre. But they want to see me actually play, how I work in a team and if it's not all tecnic, you know? And since Richmore is our hardest rival they found it suiting to sent the beaters then." he said it easily, but there was an undertone there, a choked end that hinted he wasn't as confident as he wanted to project.

Tomorrow's game against Richmore was definitely something big. Not only everyone expected it almost as if it was some Big League game, but also the coach was super obssessed over it and pressure the players. I mean, sure, it was important; but, really? And now turns out for Brett it was also major for his future. And he was nervous about it.

Pushing pass this stupid insecurity I gathered enough courage to manage a nonchalant smile and look up again, my chest shuddering immediately as he was already looking at me. "You'll do fine. You always do."

"Yeah?" he tilted his head, eying me in a way that made my stomach churn in sudden excitement at the barely inches between us. "Would you cheer for me?"

"I-if you want me to..."

He smirked and brushed my hair out the way. "I do." My heart stopped when his gaze fell on my lips and the world seemed to blur around.

All I was aware was the way his hand pull my waist while his other cupped my face, spreading liquid heat everywere of my being. My fingers clung on the fabric of his shoulders as his eyes darted a couple more times between mine and my mouth before they settled for the second, growing darker.

Is he going to kiss me now? Would I allowed it? Insecurity swirled at the corner of my mind along with another feeling way more powerful. I'd never been kissed before. What if I suck at it? But it all faded as he began leaning in and my heart drummed crazily-

Only to drop down to my stomach when a knock in the door startled and froze us. "Brett? Doors open, remember?" I burned in embarrasment at Julia's knowing voice form the hallway, stepping away in such a rush I almost tripped.

He... he almost kissed me!

Opposite to me, Brett rolled his eyes, looking amused and beaming. Maybe frustrated? "Whatever."

"Oh, and ask Alyson if she's staying for dinner. It's kinda late."

"I-I really should g-get going. B-but thanks." I answered -more like stuttered like crazy.

I could heard her light laugh, "Alright then, darling." and fading steps.

He almost kissed me. He almost kissed me. My God! He almost kissed me-

Somehow I managed to tear my eyes from my fiddling fingers and met his smug yet somehow tender expression. He smiled at me and reached out for my hand, neglecting to point out how flustered I was. "Come on," still overwhelmed -especially with his hand on mine- I let him guided me out. "I'll walk you home."

_____________________________________________

Hey! I hope you all stay safe! Sooo, what are your thoughts on what happen?

Thank you so much because MNC almost reached the 13k views already <3 Also remember when I said I wanted to start dedicating chapters? I've finally begun! From now on I'll be dedicating chapter to those of you that vote and leave all those lovely comments. They literally make my days and love to read them :) so you know... Make sure to check on my other stories too, it would mean a lot.

Don't forget to comment, vote and share.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

481 14 25
"You ruined me, you ruined us." Tears were dripping down by face endless, like sweats in striking heats. the only difference was the weather was now...
10.3M 345K 33
"What the hell?! Kennedy!" I watch as Ryder turns around furiously and strides towards me. Oh oh. Maybe I took it too far... "What'...
1K 24 18
Her brows furrowed. "You look like you have something specific you wanna ask me." The tips of Liam's ears turned red at Emma's very accurate observat...
1.9M 45.6K 27
"I thought you were my friend." I say my voice timid as he started kissing my neck. I shivered as his mouth latched onto the skin. He chuckled and br...