𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐗 𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐆...

By lokiapologist

" A Phoenix must burn before it rises. " OR In which two tributes not only f... More

𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐩𝐡
𝐨𝐧𝐞
𝐭𝐰𝐨
𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞
𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫
𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞
𝐬𝐢𝐱
𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧
𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞
𝐭𝐞𝐧
𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞
𝐬𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐥

𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

15.2K 434 223
By lokiapologist

     Phoenix laid in her bed, eyes shut as she wanted desperately not to leave the bed. With the games now just a day away, she laid there, eyes closed, hoping that when she opened them, she'd be back in District 5. Hearing the door opened she knew that wouldn't be the case.

The door to her room opened and Maeve stepped inside. For a moment she looked down at Phoenix and sighed, wishing she would've let her volunteer. She simply wanted to take all this pain away from the girl who became like a sister to her over the years. 

Maeve sat on the edge of Phoenix's bed and brushes the stray hair out of her face. " Phoenix we gotta get you ready. "  A hum left the tired girl's closed lips as she tried to roll over but knew it was no use as she felt the blankets being taken off of her.

" Come on, they're waiting. " Phoenix knew Maeve meant her prep team, and part of Phoenix felt bad she hadn't connected with them. Especially since it would be her main stylist seeing her last before the games and not Maeve like she desperately wished. 

Once Phoenix left her room she was immediately met with the 3 members of her prep team and her main stylist. Each having a new hair color since the last time she saw them. Phoenix was taken aback by the amount of energy they had at such an early hour. 

It wasn't long until Phoenix was looking up at the ceiling of her dressing room, feeling the hot wax being ripped off of her skin. She groaned at the pain, still not being used to it. " Almost done! " A voice chirped. " We don't want any stubble. " Another rang out after, making Phoenix raise an eyebrow, before closing her eyes, trying to tune out the voices around her. 

Hours passed and Phoenix's dressing room became slightly more crowded with the addition of Maeve and Ivanna. As everyone was rushing around the room, her main stylists, who Phoenix had figured out was named Tilda, began undoing the dress that had been made for Phoenix. 

Phoenix was mesmerized by the black dress in front of her. Looking closely at the black dress she noticed the twinkling lights that shined throughout the fabric. " Oh, Phoenix! Look at it! " Ivanna said, turning to praise Tilda as her eyes already began to water. 

Stepping into it and looked down at her black nails, shoes, and diamonds that were spread across her body. The dress was zipped up and tied behind her as she turned her head towards the prep team and stylist. 

" It's beautiful, what was the inspiration? " Phoenix asked, watching Tilda's face lit up at the question. " Well the lights represent the power of District 5, but we took some inspiration from the attire you'd expect at a funeral. " Maeve almost spit out her drink as the words left the stylist's mouth. 

A surprised look spread across Phoenix's face as her head turned to Tilda in disbelief. She shook her head, watching the stylist look unfazed, not even noticing the irony. This is when a laugh left her lips at the comment that had just been made.

 Phoenix looked at Maeve and laughed more, watching her wipe the water off her chin. " How tasteful. " Phoenix shrugged, not knowing what else to say about the comment. Before she could say anything else, the face of Caesar Flickerman appeared on the screen in front of her. Phoenix tried to ignore the multiple pairs of hands that roamed her body as she watched him begin his opening speech. 

" On the eve of the 75th Hunger Games! " The crowd roared at the mention of the highly anticipated games. " We have never seen anything like it, and we will never see anything like it, " He paused for a moment and Phoenix watched the anticipation rise in the members of her prep team and even Ivanna. 

" Again. " He finished, making her roll her eyes slightly. " Because tonight, on this stage 24 of Panem's brightest stars will vie for the ultimate crown.  Tonight will be their final opportunity to express their thoughts. " Little did Caesar know, that this wouldn't be some of the tribute's final opportunity. 

" Tonight will be our final opportunity to express our love and heartbreakingly say goodbye, to all but 1. " He held a single-digit up, trying to console the cries from the crowd. Phoenix became frustrated at the cries that came from both the crowd and the people around her. This caused her to step off the small platform she was on and walked towards Maeve. 

" How could they cry, none of them care about us. " Phoenix shook her head, not even listening to Cashmere and Gloss as they took the stage. Maeve shook her head before watching the crowd cheer again for the District 1 tributes. " Weird, right? They never had any problem with 24 dead kids any other year. " 

She turned her head to the screen and watched tears stream down Cashmere's face. Phoenix looked over at the members of the prep team, each now crying at the performance put on by the siblings. A laugh slipped through her lips, yet she almost felt bad at how brainwashed they were.

" She's good. " Phoenix noted, watching the reaction the two had over the gullible. " No one wants these games to happen. They're saying whatever they think will help stop them. " Maeve explained, but Phoenix knew no matter what, the Capital wouldn't cancel the games.

" Someone could be dying or pregnant and they wouldn't stop these games. " Phoenix muttered as she watched Enobaria walk onto the stage. She cringed as the District 2 tribute showed off her razor-sharp teeth to the cheering crowd. 

A soft chuckle slipped from Maeve while she walked closer to Phoenix. She grabbed both of Phoenix's hands, causing the girl to look into her eyes. " You go show them who you are. " Maeve placed a kiss on her knuckles before leaving the room to her seat, with Tilda and Ivanna close behind. 

The interviews went on and each tribute tried to one-up the other. Phoenix found herself being escorted backstage just as Finnick began his own interview, trying to talk over the thunderous cheers from the women of the Capital. 

She watched as he laughed and joked alongside Caesar Flickerman. Phoenix looked to be glowing as Finnick showed off his perfect smile to Panem. Feeling her nerves almost vanish when she looked at him. 

Phoenix was ripped from her thoughts as she felt the ties from the back of her dress being tightened. Her body jerked as the air was pushed out of her lungs with a gasp. " Don't mind me I'm just fixing your dress, don't want any malfunctions. " The member of her prep team said while tying the last knot in her dress before scurrying to her seat. 

Phoenix hadn't even realized Johanna had been calling her name. She looked towards Johanna. " What? " She threw her arms up slightly, but Johanna didn't say anything, she simply just pointed to the stage. 

" Message " and " Special someone " were the only two words Phoenix could make out as she tried not to focus on the backstage chaos. She watched as Finnick looked deeply into the camera, he had only one person in mind as the words left his mouth. 

" My love, " He paused for a moment, knowing he had to make it more personal. 

" My Little Birdie. " 

Chills ran up Phoenix's spine once the words left her lips. Finnick was talking to her. Her heart raced and Phoenix walked closer to the edge of the stage. She could almost feel Johanna's smirk on her when Finnick continued. 

" You have my heart for all eternity. And if " He paused again, trying to swallow the lump that began forming in his throat. " If I die in that arena, my last thoughts will be of your lips. " Phoenix's hand was pressed over her heart as Finnick finished his declaration of love. 

For a moment she thought back to the kiss they shared only days ago. Phoenix watched Caesar announce his name again to the screams of thousands, some of the women being naive enough to think Finnick had been talking to them. 

Phoenix watched as Finnick walked closer to her, instead of going up the stairs. They met halfway once he was out of the view of the audience. Phoenix immediately jumped into his arms feeling Finnick's strong arms wrapped around her waist, lifting her slightly into the air.  

Wasting no time Finnick set Phoenix down and pressed his lips against hers. 

Phoenix hummed into the kiss, neither her nor Finnick caring who was around. A part of them both thought it might have been smarter to do this on stage, in front of Panem. Yet neither of them cared, both in their own universe. A universe where it was only the two of them. 

Both were so invested in the other that neither heard Phoenix's name being called.  Just as the two pulled apart Phoenix's wrist was grabbed and escorted to the edge of the stage. Ceaser called out her name again, louder than the first time. Phoenix then strutted onto the stage, still slightly in awe of what had happened. 

" There you are! You look beautiful as always Phoenix, but " He paused and Phoenix knew he was going to bring up her tardiness. " What happened back there, my dear? " Phoenix laughed at the question, she already knew she was fooling the audience. 

" Realization, Caesar. " She kept her answer simple, knowing the Capital adored the ounce of mystery that came from the District 5 tributes. Phoenix knew to tell everyone what happened might make people disagree with the games, since some loved the idea of Phoenix and Finnick together. However, some Capital women believed Finnick had been talking to them and Phoenix knew some of these women might send gifts during the games.

" A bit of mystery on this night! I love it! " He cheered, the crowd quickly matching his energy. "And don't think I'm not watching you two. " He joked while turning his head from Finnick, who was now standing with the other tributes, back to Phoenix. She laughed as Finnick put both his hands up in defense.  

Before she could give a snarky reply, Caesar settled down the crowd, with his tone turning softer. " Now how are you? It's been so long, are you prepared? " Phoenix took a deep breath and tilted her head. " I don't think I've been more ready for anything. " This caught some people off guard, but they didn't know that Phoenix wasn't talking about the games. 

But about the revolution. 

A yell ripped from Caesar again, loving the way Phoenix was presenting herself for the crowd. " That's what I love to hear! Now any strategies? You took us by storm during your first games, you truly were a wild card. " The way the games were talked about so lightly made Phoenix feel sick. She went through the most traumatic experience of her life thus far, yet to everyone in the Capital it was just another game

" Losing isn't an option, Caesar. " The crowd erupted into screams, and Phoenix swore she heard Finnick chuckle. Ceaser let another one of his iconic laughs out as he grabbed onto Phoenix's hand, squeezing so tight it almost hurt. 

" Now I told you this during your initial games and I'll tell you again. " Phoenix knew what he was going to say as soon as this left his mouth. " Traditionally, a Phoenix must burn before it can rise again. " He reminded as a smirk spread across her lips. Confidence almost raided off of Phoenix and she knew it. 

" And I'm all done burning. " 

She almost cringed at the melodramatic comment but knew the crowd was practically eating it up. Caesar let go of her hands and threw his arms in the air. " That you are! " Grabbing her hand again he placed a kiss on her knuckle. " Phoenix Flack everyone! " He raised both of their hands and Phoenix indulged in the cheers. 

The interview ended and Phoenix walked up the stairs before standing directly next to Finnick. The two smiled at each other. " You did amazing. " Finnick mouthed. Phoenix sent him a wink before turning back to the crowd, watching them cheer once Cassian took the stage. 

She hadn't paid much mind to Cassian's interview, until Caesar put aside the jokes,  getting serious. " Now like others in this game, you will be in these games with your old mentor. " Cassian nodded while Phoenix tensed up, feeling as though the attention was back on her. " How are you dealing with that? " 

Cassian thought for a moment. How did he feel about it? " I look up and admire her so much. She's the reason I am standing here now. " Cassian revealed sincerely. Phoenix was surprised by the admiration and how genuine he sounded.  " But, " Cassian said, cutting off the awes of the audience. 

" I, just like everyone else, came to win and it just breaks my heart at what I might have to do to win. " Cassian's face changed once he said this, with a smirk on his face. Ceaser began wrapping up the interview and Phoenix turned to Finnick, with Cassian's words beginning to process. 

" He's gonna kill me. " She mouthed to him. Finnick shook his head, the idea of that making him laugh. " He's gonna try. " Finnick correct. Cassian made his way up the stairs as Johanna Mason made her way onto the stage. 

Phoenix took one look at Johanna and automatically knew she was gonna make a scene, and she couldn't wait. A proud smile grew on both her and Finnick's faces once the vulgar swears began pouring out of Johanna's mouth. Yet Cassian didn't find it as amusing, rolling his eyes while watching Johanna get escorted off the stage. 

 The tributes came and went until it was only District 12 left. Watching Katniss spin until her dress transformed into a Mockingjay nearly brought tears to Phoenix's eyes. Katniss was now fully the Mockingjay and Phoenix knew she would go to any lengths during the games to protect Katniss. 

Once Peeta came out to the stage he began joking with Ceaser, in the same way, most tributes had. Phoenix zoned out again, beginning to feel exhaustion take over. The sound of yelling and screaming from the crowd quickly snapped out of her empty thoughts. " The baby? " A member of the audience yelled, catching Phoenix up. 

Her mouth fell a bit as the words processed inside her head. Peeta ran up the stairs, running straight into Katniss's arms and Phoenix turned to Finnick. " A baby? " Finnick didn't look as surprised as Phoenix as he nodded his head in confirmation. 

" Phoenix " A hushed yell called out from next to her. She looked at Cassian and noticed that the tributes had begun holding the hands of each other. Phoenix looked back up at Cassian and grabbed his hand. Feeling Finnick lacing their fingers together, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze. 

The 24 tributes all lifted their linked hands over their head. Listening to the crowd demand for the games to be canceled. It seemed like even the people of the Capital have decided to turn against them. 

Never in Phoenix's life as both a viewer of the Hunger Games and a mentor has she seen such a reaction like this. As the screams continued and the lights turned off, Phoenix thought that maybe they might cancel the games. 

Maneuvering their way through the dark, Phoenix and Cassian somehow made their way back to the living quarters. Phoenix realizing she somehow lost Finnick in the wave of madness. " I need you two to shower, I just wanna talk to you both before you go to bed. " Maeve pleaded, practically ignoring the fact Cassian was being trained separately. 

Finally stepping out of her dress and into the shower, Phoenix let the soapy water ran down her bareback, making sure to savor it. Just because she didn't know when she'd be in a seminormal situation like this again. Time passed and once her fingers began to shrivel, she shut the water off. 

Now in fresh clothes, she walked to the living room, where Cassian, Maeve, and Ivanna were waiting. " So did they cancel the games? " Phoenix asked, wanting to brush past the fact she was the last one to arrive. 

Maeve shook her head and the two sighed, this proving Phoenix's statement from earlier in the day. Ivanna looked the saddest of all with tears freely streaming down her pale face. " They put too much into these games to cancel them. " Maeve continued. 

Realization began to set in for Cassian and Phoenix. " Thank you both, for everything. " Cassian muttered to Maeve and Ivanna while holding back his tears, Phoenix nodded in agreement. " We love you both. " This was the only time Phoenix knew she could speak for both of them. 

More tears streamed down Ivanna's face as she stood up to hug the two. " I wish I could fix this for you two, fix all of this. I am so sorry. " Ivanna felt helpless, knowing that this would be the last time she would see both of them alive.

" None of this is your fault. " Cassian muttered. Phoenix felt another pair of arms wrapped around them and looked up to see Maeve. " We're so proud of you both. " Maeve reminded as they all detached from the hug. 

The group stayed quiet for a moment. Cassian and Phoenix knowing once they opened their eyes in the morning, their lives would never be the same. " Goodnight. " Cassian muttered while flashing a weak smile, before starting to make his way to his room. " Thanks again. " Ivanna blew her one final kiss before Phoenix turned to her room. 

Phoenix laid in her bed, not noticing almost an hour had passed of her just looking at the ceiling. Her head snapped towards the door as it opened softly, she calmed down once she saw the silhouette of Maeve. " I need you to come now and say nothing till we get there. " 

Phoenix did as she was told, knowing she would follow Maeve to the ends of the Earth if she needed to. The elevator doors opened revealing Haymitch and Finnick. Phoenix and Finnick immediately embraced each other, both not expecting to see the other until the morning.

" Okay, lovebirds we don't have much time. " They pulled away before either could say anything to each other, looking towards the sobered up Haymitch Abernathy. " I have something to give you two. " Phoenix looked back at Maeve, with her mentor nodding.

Now facing Haymitch, she watched as he pulled out a box, noticing the gold ring on his pinky shine at the light. " This Finnick, " He opens the box, revealing a gold bangle. " Is for you. " Haymitch handed the bangle to Finnick. " And for Phoenix. "

Phoenix watched Haymitch take the gold ring off of his pinky. 

She held her left hand out and Haymitch grabbed her hand softly, before putting it on her ring finger. " I never saw you as the jewelry type. " Moving her hand to get a better look at the gold ring. " That. " He began, pointing towards the gold bangle that was on Finnick's wrist. 

" Is what Effie gave to me as a token. She gave something similar to Peeta, she wanted all of us to have a sort of gold token. " He explained, although Phoenix didn't know Effie, she could tell how similar she and Ivanna were.

He paused for a moment and looked at his ring on Phoenix's finger. " That ring is what I wore inside my games, it was given to me by my old mentor. I don't wear it enough for Effie to notice, but Katniss will notice these things. I promise. " This confused both of them, yet the idea of Phoenix wearing the ring Haymitch wore in the games made her feel almost queasy. 

" Why does she need to notice these? " Finnick questioned. " You two are her allies, whether she wants it or not. By showing her these things she'll know they're mine. It'll be like a confirmation from me. "  He revealed, knowing it might be harder to get Katniss as an ally. 

Phoenix raised an eyebrow at his last sentence. " Confirmation for what? " Haymitch sighed. " That you two are good. " They appreciated the praise from him, both nodding in response. " I'll need them back though, so we can give them to your stylist. " They took the jewelry off with ease before handing it off to Haymitch. 

Haymitch and Maeve began going over their plans for the final time before he turned back to the tributes. " If Katniss is ever in danger and not listening to you two, just tell her this. "  Haymitch began. " Tell her to remember who the real enemy is. " The phrase replayed in Phoenix's head, with it sticking with Phoenix even after Haymitch turned back to Maeve. 

Looking at Finnick, Phoenix noticed him staring at her now bare hand. " What? " Her eyes met his gaze. " I just never noticed how pretty your hand looked with a ring on it. " He sighed, a part of him wishing he would have noticed sooner. 

A sad smile spread on Phoenix's face, a part of her wondering if they would've been in this same situation if they had been married. " I wish you had sooner. " Finnick nodded, desperately wishing the same thing. 

He didn't reply, just opting to wrap his arms around her instead. He placed a small kiss on her head before talking again. " After, I promise. " Phoenix had a sense of what this meant but didn't ask. Just holding onto the possibility of them one day being happy together. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

611K 10.8K 77
𝐛𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐞 /bro͞ot/ 1. a savagely violent person or animal. "𝑆ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑎 𝑐𝑜𝑙𝑑-𝑏𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑑𝑒𝑑 𝑏𝑟𝑢𝑡𝑒" Hunger games - finished - 3/4/22 Cat...
459K 11.7K 22
"We are simply ash." ••• It had been five years since Autumn's Hunger Games. She now lived with visions and voices that haunted her every night, watc...
1.2K 50 19
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐑 - ❝𝙞 𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙖𝙞𝙙 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙬𝙚𝙖𝙠𝙣𝙚𝙨𝙨.❞ ❝𝙞𝙩 𝙨𝙚𝙚𝙢𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙬𝙧𝙤𝙣𝙜.❞ ✫...