Suddenly, There was Kai

By asallan

"I thought I was in decent control of my life, I thought I understood everything. I was so, so, wrong. How co... More

Author's Note and Back Ground
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Author note
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30: final

Chapter 19

300 24 0
By asallan

"We are here."

The voice sounded far away and close at the same time. I hummed softly before readjusting my position. I didn't remember Ian coming over, but I was glad he was here because I needed to get over the dream I just had about being with Kai and going out to some party. The odd thing about him though, I realized as I ran my hand over his chest, was that he felt different. "When did you start working out?" I asked dazedly. "Doesn't matter, I like it." I say as I turn over then take his arm wrapping it around me and I can feel a soft vibration as he laughs at me. I then feel another hand moving my hair away from my face. Why couldn't it be like this with Kai? I wonder suddenly as I wrap my fingers around the hand that is pushing my hair away, pulling it down gently so I could rest my face against his palm.

Kai shakes me gently. "Gabe, wake up. We are here."

I float closer to the edge of my sleep. "What do you mean? Where is here?" I must have really been tired because I did not remember him coming or getting in a car. I open my eyes slowly and the first thing I see is the wet bar at the other end of the car. I lift my head to look around. "So, it wasn't a dream?" More laughter causing me to turn around and I stare up into an all too familiar pair of almond shaped eyes. I jump up moving away nearly falling off the seat, but Kai managed to catch me before I had a chance to do so.

"Hold on there," He says still chuckling while helping me to sit upright. "That must have been the best sleep ever."

I was horrified, really. "I am sorry! I didn't mean that." I say nervously.

"It's ok."

"But I- my hands-"

"I didn't mind. What is important is that you were able to get some rest. You must have needed it." He said as his eyes shown with the laughter he was holding in.

I could see that he was clearly enjoying himself at my expense. "If you mention this to anyone-" I begin, but he brushes me off.

"No worries, really. Besides, I think I would be as much to blame as you, right? You were just so cute and adorable while you were sleeping; also, it isn't everyday that I get felt up by a hot model. Garren would be so jealous of me!" He laughs aloud then just as the driver opens the door.

I quickly climb over him to exit the limousine attempting to pull myself together as I make it up the walkway.

"Gabe!" He calls after me still laughing. "I see you are back to normal again. Wait up!"

Soon, I hear footsteps approaching quickly from behind and then a hand grabs my upper arm and I am spun around so quickly, I almost loose my balance. His arms suddenly wrap around me to keep me from falling down. Just like that, I am staring him in the eye, our faces mere centimeters apart. I watch as the smile disappears from his face, his expression becoming more serious.

We stood there frozen seemingly forever just looking at each other. I eventually forced myself to break eye contact first, because if I had looked at him any longer, I would have kissed him right then and there. With the trance broken, he let me go stepping back slightly and I once again attempted to pull myself together. I looked at him again as I tucked some hair behind my ears.

"Sorry." He said suddenly. "I won't say anything." He then starts off toward the entrance. I follow him with my eyes, turning as I do so. After a few steps, he turns and comes back for me, a smile once again lighting his face as he takes my hand pulling me along with him up the walkway. I try to resist at first, but whom am I kidding? I would follow him anywhere, to hell even. He looks back at me at that moment and gives me a wink as if he also understands this about me. I curse myself as the realization dawns that I am just positively hopeless.

We enter the venue and I am amazed. Everything is bright and flashy, much like Garren's personality, and casino night seemed to be the evening's theme. Tables were set up all over with a rather large gathering around each one.

"Garren certainly knows how to party." I say suddenly.

"Knowing him, this is just the tip of the iceberg." He turns to look at me. "It's a good thing you had a nap, I hear some music playing. May I have this dance?" He didn't wait for me to respond as he pulled me onward and up a set of steps.

"Shouldn't we at least say hello to the birthday boy first?"

"So he can take you away? There will be plenty of time for that later." He says laughing again as we enter the ballroom.

My jaw drops, as I look around wide-eyed at the scene before me. The room was bright and sparkly with women hanging from the ceiling, some with fabric, others on swings of some sort. There was a brass band off to the side currently playing swing jazz with a pretty sizeable crowd dancing on the floor in front of the stage.

"How many people do you think are here?"

"Last I heard, the guest list was at five hundred, that is why he rented out the entire venue and lodging."

My eyes get bigger if that is possible. "Lodging? We- we are staying here?"

"That is up to you. I have a meeting in the afternoon, so I hadn't planned on it. However, if you want to, stay here that is, I can push it back to late afternoon."

I cough suddenly gasping for air and I was thankful the music was loud enough to hide it for the most part. "Well, I hadn't planned on either. I have my own meetings to attend."

"Don't quote me on it, but I think Garren already called out for you." He says smiling that wonderful smile of his.

"He what?"

"Come on, let's dance!" He rushes off once again pulling me behind him.

"How rude! You show up and don't even bother to let me know that my special guest has arrived or to say hello."

I turn around and stare. It's Garren looking more handsome than usual, in a red suit if all things. My laughter dies off suddenly. I look at Kai who has a smirk on his face. "I am pretty sure you knew she was here the moment we exited the limo."

"That's beside the point." Garren says as he comes to a stop a few inches away from Kai.

The tension was palpable as I stood there between them looking back and forth from one man to the other. What in the hell is going on here?I wondered. If I didn't know any better, I would suspect a fight to break out any moment.

Garren scoffs. "This is my party, and I will not allow you to ruin it." Then he looks to me and a toothy grin animates he face. "It has been a while, come chat with me, Gabe." He holds out his arm in offering.

I look over at Kai and his face is unreadable, but he remains looking at Garren, his jaw working slightly. I put on a pleasant smile as I move closer to him taking his offered arm. He rests his other hand on top of mine patting it gently before leading me away. I glance back to see Kai now looking at me. Why does he look scared?Perhaps I was imagining things, but then I remembered what he had said to me when we first arrived about Garren taking me away upon seeing me.

"So what was that all about?" I asked even though I already knew that he would more than likely dodge the question.

"Nothing for you to worry about, baby girl. It's just that some people tend to suffer from some strange since of entitlement, that is all." He said not disappointing my earlier assessment in the slightest. He then proceeded to look me up and down. "May I say that you are looking absolutely gorgeous tonight woman? Damn." He licked his lips and rolled my eyes at him laughing.

"Well, haven't you heard? I am a supermodel celebrity now, I can't disappoint my fans now can I?" I notice that he is leading me outside onto a balcony away from the noise and chatter of the party. "I must say, Mr. Larson, that I am very impressed. Even for you, you have managed to out do yourself. Trying for the front page of the society section?"

"It's my 40th. Go bigger, or don't go at all." Just then a waiter appeared with a silver tray and on the tray were two glasses of bubbly liquid, champagne more than likely. He takes the two glasses and thanks the waiter before turning to me presenting one of the glasses. "So will you be joining the rest of us for the sleepover? I already spoke to David for you."

I took a rather large sip from my glass. "I heard about that. I haven't decided yet."

"Stay. It's been quite a while since we've pulled an all-nighter together." He said smiling devilishly.

I scoffed. "If that is going to serve as your marketing strategy, then I can tell you right now that the answer is going to be a big, fat, NO." He laughs aloud, his whole body shaking, nearly spilling his champagne. "I still have flashbacks of that night and go to cry and rock in the corner." He laughs even harder. "You just don't know! Well you might, knowing how you always like to go hard, but I am not such a pro like you are. I told you already, I was hurting for DAYS. You hear me? DAYS!"

"But, who took care of you?"

"That is not the point."

"Who?"

I suck my teeth rolling my eyes. "You did."

"Right, and I would do the same tonight."

"That is nice to know, but I will tell you, we are not gonna do that again. Still, I am undecided."

"Hmm." Was all he said as he leaned onto the balcony wall, his glass wrapped securely within both of his hands. He stared out across the dark field lit here and there with lanterns that marked various paths for walking.

I joined him moments later. The night air was cool, but not chilly and the breeze off the ocean was pleasant for this time of year. Several minutes had gone by before I spoke up again. "You said earlier that you wanted to talk. So, what do you want to talk about?"

"Not so much as talk, more like to spend time with one of my favorite people." He said as he eyed the glass in his hands before taking a sip. "Well that isn't entirely true, a little birdie told me earlier today that you are engaged. When did that happen?"

I turned my entire body so I could face him. "What? Who? Who told you that?"

"I told you, a little birdie, and no, it wasn't Greg." He admits with a slightly smug expression on his face. "I didn't want to believe it, of coarse, but then I saw this." He reaches out and takes my hand bringing it up between us. He takes a moment to examine it before grunting as he released my hand back to me. "I think you deserve better than that."

"What? What is wrong with it?" I ask taking a moment to examine it myself. It was the first time I looked at it objectively.

"Nothing, I guess. I just figured that someone as special as you deserved something of a higher caliber, but if you are happy, then I am happy."

I eye him for a moment then back to the ring. "I guess I never thought about it, but not everyone can afford a huge rock like you would be able to." I say, a hint of laughter in my voice.

"It's not about price value in your case, and it isn't about the ring either."

"Then what is it about?" I clearly had no clue what he was getting at.

"Do you love him?"

"Why?" I asked, too astounded by the randomness of the question so say anything else. "How can you ask me something like that?"

"Listen Gabe, how long have you known me? Whatever you think about me, I happen to care about you, and from what I heard, you have been in a real mood since it all happened. So I ask you again, do you love him?"

"Yes."

"You don't sound so convinced."

I sigh heavily as I start to feel slightly more than agitated. "What is this about Garren? You never did answer my question. Who told you anyway?"

He sits his now empty glass on the ledge beside him and returned to his previous position leaning on the wall with his hands folded before him. He stared out seemingly at nothing, as if he was holding an inner debate on whether or not he would answer my question. "The last person you would expect to tell me, that's who." He says finally glancing at me briefly.

"Was it Janet?" He chuckles as if to say never in your life. "Jonathan?" He shakes his head. "Well who else is there that knows the both of us and would even bother? You already said that it wasn't Greg, so and the only other person-"

I stop suddenly as the only other person that could have told him came to mind. My eyes go wide as I suck in a breath. "Kai told you?" My question was met with silence. "Who told him?"

"He didn't say. The more I tried to talk to him about what was going on with you, the more he- but then we ended up-" his voice trailed off suddenly.

I lay my hand on his arm. "What? What happened? Does it have something to do with what went on in the ballroom not too long ago?"

He sighed running a hand over his face. "Nothing, it's nothing. Forget I said anything." I could tell that whatever it was on his mind that he wanted to say, he was fighting with himself over it. His smile returned seconds later as he held onto my shoulders. "Don't pay me any attention, I have had quite a bit to drink, I didn't mean to make you nervous or anything. Like I said before baby girl, if you are happy, then I am happy. I just wanted to make sure that this is something you want as well." He takes me into his arms then, his chin resting on my shoulder a moment before pulling back. "Congrats woman. How about we go back inside? I almost forgot that my party was going on in there.

I smiled politely taking his arm and he led me back through the balcony entrance. Inside my head, my thoughts were raging. There were so many questions that I wanted to ask, so many questions, but it seemed if I was going to get to the bottom of this, I needed to find Mr. Shin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 133 11
Two years of working a job she was overqualified for. Ezra had finally had enough! She wanted more for herself and her future. Seeing her boss's girl...
9.4K 440 13
"It's about 6 AM into the New Year, and Alex and Jimin are both sure it's going to be another crappy one... Though if they shyly admit, there is one...
125 1 2
Read to see what happens
1.1K 50 14
𝐀𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐢 𝐒𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 17 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐛𝐢...