Black, Blue, and Gold (Book 2)

נכתב על ידי Barabim_

More crimes and mysteries to be solved, and pasts to be dealt with. Will Inspector Lalisa Manoban and her tea... עוד

Chapter 1 - Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 1)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 2)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 3)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 4)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 5)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 6)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 7)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 8)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 9)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 10)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 11)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 12)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 13)
Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 14)
Chapter 2 - One Step at a Time (Part 1)
One Step at a Time (Part 2)
One Step at A Time (Part 3)
One Step at a Time (Part 4)
One Step at a Time (Part 5)
One Step at a Time (Part 6)
One Step at a Time (Part 7)
One Step at a Time (Part 8)
One Step at a Time (Part 9)
One Step at a Time (Part 10)
One Step at a Time (Part 11)
One Step at a Time (Part 12)
One Step at a Time (Part 13)
One Step at a Time (Part 14)
One Step at a Time (Part 15)
One Step at a Time (Part 16)
One Step at a Time (Part 17)
One Step at a Time (Part 18)
One Step at a Time (Part 19)
One Step at a Time (Part 21)
One Step at a Time (Part 22)
One Step at a Time (Part 23)
One Step at a Time (Part 24)
One Step at a Time (Part 25)
One Step at a Time (Part 26)
One Step at a Time (Part 27)
One Step at a Time (Part 28)
One Step at a Time (Part 29)
One Step at a Time (Part 30)
One Step at a Time (Part 31)
One Step at a Time (Part 32)
One Step at a Time (Part 33)
Bonus Case - The Murder in Jeju (Part 1)
The Murder in Jeju (Part 2)
The Murder in Jeju (Part 3)
The Murder in Jeju (Part 4)
The Murder in Jeju (Part 5)
The Murder in Jeju (Part 6)
New Book!
Finale - Secrets and Dreams (Part 1)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 2)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 3)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 4)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 5)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 6)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 7)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 8)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 9)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 10)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 11)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 12)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 13)
Secrets and Dreams (Part 14 - END)
Secrets and Dreams (Epilogue)
NEW BOOK: BURDEN OF PROOF
NEW STORY: THE KIM'S

One Step at a Time (Part 20)

2.8K 121 7
נכתב על ידי Barabim_

Sooyoung heard voices from inside the conference room and frowned.

"What is going on in there?" she mumbled as she stopped in front of Lisa's desk.

"They're probably discussing this string of attacks on our team," answered Jennie who was sitting on Lisa's chair. "What brings you here?"

"I was just going to tell Jisoo unnie that the results from that doctor's car analysis are valid. Those were bodily fluids they found on the backseat, the DNA can be traced back to both the doctor and a woman that I assume is the hospital director, and that fingerprint is indeed Seungjin's," she told Jennie then turned her head back towards the closed door. "And that I'm almost done processing the evidence from yesterday's incident. How long have they been in there?"

"About half an hour. They wouldn't even let me in."

"Why not?"

Jennie shrugged. "They said it was strictly police stuff, official things, protocol, classified etcetera... they went technical on me. Besides, judging from the sound of it, I think Lili was trying to spare me from hearing her yell."

"They're discussing about what happened yesterday, huh?"

"Yeah. I hope Chanyeol's head won't hurt too much after this."

And right on cue, the door opened and out walked Chanyeol, Jongin and Joonmyun, looking like a funny trio with the tallest holding his head, Jongin with his sling and Joonmyun carefully limping behind him with his crutch. They looked exhausted.

"What happened in there?" asked Sooyoung.

"You don't wanna know. I've never seen Lisa this angry since... Well, I've never seen her this angry, basically," said Chanyeol.

"I have," Seulgi appeared behind the three boys. "And I didn't think I'd see it again."

"What happened? Is she okay?" Jennie spoke, straightening up in her seat.

"She's alright. She's just very upset about what happened and I understand her completely."

"In that case, I'll just wait till things calm down. I'll talk to Jisoo unnie later," said Sooyoung who immediately left the area.

The three assistant inspectors and Seulgi returned to their respective desks, back to work.

Chaeyoung came out next, exhaling loudly. "Scary," she mumbled as she sat down on her chair and slouched. "Very scary Lalisa Manoban."

"What did she say?" Jennie pushed her chair towards Chaeyoung.

Before the tall inspector could answer, both Lisa and Jisoo walked out of the conference room and went inside Jisoo's office, closing the door behind them.

"Let's just say that I'm glad you're okay," answered Chaeyoung. "That shorty would definitely shoot someone if you had gotten hurt."

"Rest assured, you won't be going anywhere without a bodyguard until Seungjin's found," added Seulgi from the desk across Chaeyoung's.

"And you boys also better be more careful from now on. If you get hurt again, your petite noona might go on a rampage," said Chaeyoung towards the quiet three.

Jennie exhaled then pushed her chair back towards Lisa's desk.

--

"So you're thinking... what? That he's not Chadol but Himchan?" Jisoo raised her eyebrows as she sipped her coffee.

They had finished discussing - or venting, in Lisa's case - the attacks and Lisa was telling Jisoo about what she personally suspected after interrogating the doctor and Chadol back in Suncheon.

"It's crazy, I know. But I just can't help but think that," said Lisa.

"Your craziest theories are the ones that usually turn out to be true, Lis, and that scares me," said Jisoo. "Let's say that this is also true, where's Chadol then?"

Lisa shrugged. "Beats me. Hiding? Laying low? He was depressed, you know. Maybe he took a long vacation, courtesy of his brother?"

"Then why must Himchan take his place?"

"I have no idea. It's just a crazy theory, remember? I just have this gut feeling that he's not who he presents himself to be. And since they look alike... and with that scar and everything..." Lisa stopped talking, her mind was clearly somewhere else as her eyes drifted to Jisoo's coffee mug. Her anger was long gone and all that was left was the uneasiness from this morning.

The captain was surprised to see the sudden change. "Lali."

"Hm?" she answered absentmindedly.

"Is something wrong?" Jisoo searched Lisa's eyes. "Do you still have something on your mind?"

"Huh?" Lisa lifted her head to see Jisoo looking at her in confusion and worry. "No no. Everything's fine." She then straightened up. "By the way, I'm sticking to Jen from now on. After what happened, I'm not letting her out of my sight. I won't be leaving her alone until I get Seungjin. So if you're going to send one of us to Suncheon or anywhere outside of Seoul, it's not gonna be me."

"Understood. But the correct term is until we get Seungjin. This isn't just your battle, Unnie. We're in this together."

Lisa simply nodded before she stood up. "Yeah. Anyway, we're pretty much set on the extra security and it's just a waiting game for further results regarding Seungjin. Do you mind if Jen and I take the rest of the day off? There's something that we need to take care of."

"Go ahead. You two deserve a break. The doctor is being transported to Seoul as we speak. I'll let you know when he has arrived or when there's news about Shin Harang or anything else."

"Great. Thanks."

Lisa had just pulled the door open when she heard Jisoo's voice.
"Lisa."

She turned around with eyebrows raised.

"Nothing is going to happen to any one of us again. It stopped with Joonmyun."

Instead of replying, Lisa just clenched her jaws and left the office. Although she was confident about her team's skills, she couldn't help but feel worried about what Seungjin was going to do next. The man was desperate and out for revenge. Who knew how far he was willing to go. The fact that he dared attack police officers in broad daylight with many witnesses had proven that he was not afraid.

Plus, the conversation she had with Jennie still gnawed at her, distracting her from focusing on the case.

As much as she wanted Seungjin dead and Jennie safe, she was more worried about what Jennie had said and how defeated she looked back at that restaurant's toilet - as if she had resigned to come in second again like she used to during the start of their relationship.

She walked out to find Jennie sitting at her desk, frowning at the computer screen. An idea suddenly struck her and she took her phone out, typed a message and sent it before she approached Jennie.
"What are you looking at?" she asked as she came to stand behind her.
"I was hoping to find a pattern in all these attacks on the boys but... it's all so random. They're being stalked, that's for sure, but there's always a pattern if these were done by the same people. Whether it's time, location, method... there's always something common. I know there is," answered Jennie with her eyes glued to the screen.

"Come on." Lisa placed a hand on Jennie's upper arm. "Let's get out of here."

"What?" Jennie turned her head and looked up at Lisa. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see." Lisa reached out, over Jennie's shoulder, to turn her computer off. "And don't worry. I asked Chu for permission. Let's go."

Jennie just stared at Lisa like she was speaking gibberish. "Are we going to talk to people or...?"

Lisa shook her head but said nothing more. She pulled the chair back gently instead, urging Jennie to stand then took her hand, leading her out of the work area under the questioning gazes of her teammates. She didn't say anything to them besides a short 'See you' and a quick wave of her hand.

Unsure of what was going on, or the look on Lisa's face, Jennie quietly followed the inspector inside the car.

She watched Lisa quickly typing something in her phone before she started the engine.

"Where are we going?" she asked again once they had driven away.

"Home."

"What? Why? There's still work to do."

"I asked Chu for the rest of the day off."

"Why? Are you sick?"

"No, I'm fine."

Lisa's phone vibrated but the owner merely glanced at it, choosing to check it later at the red light.

"Lisayah, what's going on?" asked Jennie again.

She reached out with her right hand, searching for Jennie's then held it. "I need to set things straight."

"What things?"

"Us things."

"Us things?"

"Yes."

"Didn't we do that this morning?"

"Not really."

Jennie heaved a sigh. "Lili, what's going on?" She leaned back in her seat as her hands covered Lisa's, brushing her right thumb against the back of it, making Lisa smile a little at the tender gesture.

Lisa suddenly realized how much she missed these seemingly small and mostly unseen touches. They were so wrapped up in everything: the case, Jiyoon and her grandmother, and Jennie's father; that the small gestures had unconsciously been reduced to a minimum. Much less than usual and certainly much less than Lisa liked.

When they finally stopped at a red light, Lisa reluctantly pulled her hand out of Jennie's hold so she could check her messages. She sent a reply then placed the device back in its holder before taking hold of Jennie's hand again.

"Who are you texting?"

"You'll see."

"You're acting suspicious, Inspector Manoban, and I don't like it."

Lisa chuckled. "You'll see soon enough. I'm not hiding anything from you. I'm through with that. And it's not your father, I assure you."

Jennie stopped her questioning until they arrived back at the apartment. Lisa never let go of her hand except for when they had to get out of the car and she secretly loved it, thinking how long it had been since they had some quiet, private time to themselves like this even though she was still unsure of what Lisa was planning.

"Wait here," said Lisa once they got inside the living room. She let go of Jennie's hand, went inside her room and walked back out with her laptop.

Jennie sat down on the couch, watching Lisa set up the laptop on the coffee table then dial a number on her phone.

"Umma? Are you set? Is the computer on? Okay. Did you click on the blue circle with an 'S' on it? Yeah. That one. Okay good. Ah yes, I see you. Hang on. Click on the green circle with the phone on it when it appears. Okay? Here we go," said Lisa into the phone.

Jennie raised her eyebrows. What is she doing with her mother?

A loud dialing sound suddenly came out of the laptop and Lisa quickly reduced the volume. "Whoa."

"Lili?"

Jennie saw a woman's face peering at them from the screen.

"Move back a bit, Umma. Your face is so big, it's scaring me." Lisa hung up the phone then adjusted the laptop screen. "Can you see and hear me?"

"Yes."

"Unnie!"

There was another voice and a different, younger face, appearing in the screen.

"Why aren't you in class?" asked Lisa.

"I have no classes today, Unnie. And you should be grateful. Who do you think switched on the computer and Skype?" The girl stuck her tongue out before moving out of view.

"That kid... Anyway, Umma, there's something I need to talk to you about."

"Why aren't you at work?" asked the woman.

"I took a day off."

"Have you eaten?"

"It's barely lunch time, Umma. Listen, there's something I need to say. I'm sorry for not telling you this in person. I will, in due time. It's just that I'm in the middle of a complicated case right now and I can't leave Seoul. I've been planning to tell you for quite a while and I don't want to postpone it any longer. It's very important."

Jennie held her breath, sensing where Lisa was going with this.

"What's this about, Lili?"

"Well, there's someone I'd like you to meet." Lisa then turned around and pulled Jennie down from the couch, scooting over a bit so the latter could sit next to her on the floor. "This is Jennie. You've talked to her a few times and I've told you about her too."

"Ah yes. Your roommate. Hi, Jennie."

"H-hi, Mrs. Manoban." Jennie awkwardly smiled then bowed. "Nice to meet you." Her hand stealthily pinched Lisa's thigh under the table.

"Ow." Lisa flinched a bit but didn't let it bother her. "Um... remember when I told you that I was seeing someone?" she asked her mother.

"Yes. Bambam mentioned it to me too. I still can't believe that he got to meet her before I do."

"It was just a coincidence. But no worries, you can meet her now. This is Kim Jennie. She's the person I've been seeing for the past two years."

Jennie didn't know what to do and Lisa's mother didn't exactly know what to say either.

"So?" Lisa asked her mother. "Pretty, isn't she?"

Jennie pinched Lisa again as her cheeks turned pink thanks to the very direct compliment.

"I plan to go home this Chuseok and take her with me so everyone can meet her," continued Lisa amidst the silence.

Jennie looked down, too shy to keep her eyes on the woman scrutinizing her through the computer screen. Under the table, she gently rubbed Lisa's thigh, grateful for the acknowledgment.

Lisa moved one hand down, placing it on top of Jennie's.

"Lili-..."

"What? You've said it many times before, it's time I get over Jaehwan oppa and move on, right? That I should find someone else and settle down. Your own words, Umma."

"Yes but-..."

"Well, I've moved on and I've found that person." Lisa put an arm around Jennie and smiled proudly. "I love Jennie and I'm planning to settle down with her. We'll start our own family."

Jennie's eyes widened as she looked at Lisa's confident expression.

"I figured that it'd better to tell you first before I tell the rest of the family," said Lisa. "I'm happy, Umma. I can finally tell you that I'm happy again."

The woman froze for a few more seconds before she inhaled and leaned back, away from the screen. "You're happy, huh?"

Lisa nodded. "Very happy." She withdrew her arm and settled with holding Jennie's hand. "Jennie makes me happy." She smiled at Jennie who was still speechless.

"Umma! What's for lunch?"

They heard the voice of Lisa's sister in the background.

"Unnie, I'm hungry so can you please continue this chat later?" Hayeon suddenly appeared on the screen, obscuring her mother's face. "Umma needs to feed me, her favorite daughter, first."

"Yah! You're not her favorite!"

"I am, Unnie. I am." The young lady grinned. "So are you done?" She then noticed Jennie and raised her eyebrows. "Oops. Sorry." She nodded a bit towards the unfamiliar person. "Err... Who is this?"

"Your future sister-in-law," answered Lisa with a smirk.

"Lili..." Jennie elbowed Lisa, blushing uncontrollably although she couldn't deny the joy that was spreading warmly inside.

"Wha-... really? You've finally found someone who can stand you?"

"Hayeon-ah." The girl was pushed aside by Mrs. Manoban.

"What? I'm serious. After all these years and so many random girlfriends, you finally found one that sticks?"

"Don't talk as if you know me, you brat."

"But I do know you, Unnie," Hayeon said with a grin. Her eyes shifted towards Jennie. "Well, congratulations then. You're a pretty unnie and you look like a very nice person. I don't know what you see in my sister but-..."

"Yah! Go away!" Lisa shooed her sister who laughed and waved before disappearing. "Lunch, Umma!" Hayeon yelled from outside the frame. "Your offspring and your husband need to be fed!"

"Okay okay! That girl..." Mrs. Manoban shook her head before she looked at Lisa again. "Come home this Chuseok and we'll talk more, okay?"

Lisa nodded. "Send my regards to Appa and Oppa."
"I will." The woman hesitated, shifting her gaze unto Jennie. "Nice to finally meet you, Jennie."

"Y-you too, Mrs. Manoban," stuttered Jennie nervously as she bowed again to the screen.

"Bye, Umma." Lisa waved to the camera then turned off the chat.

"What the heck were you doing?!" Jennie let go of Lisa's hand then shoved her aside.

"What I should've done a long time ago," answered Lisa calmly as she regained her balance. "I told you I'd bring you home, right? Since we still have to deal with that idiot Seungjin, I figured that this would do till then."

"You just... I mean... You didn't even... Sigh..." Jennie deflated. "You're crazy, Manoban."

"Yeah, I am. I'm crazy for you." She inched closer, wrapping her arms around Jennie's waist. "And I want you to know that you will never ever come second again. I promised you that I would put you first and I will keep that promise for as long as I live." She gave Jennie a quick peck on the lips.

"Regardless of how your family situation is, I know that we could build our own happy little family. I realize that I was wrong and you were right; what you said this morning was right. I should've had more faith in you. I'm really sorry and sad if I ever gave you the impression that you're just someone I settle with because I couldn't have him," continued Lisa. "Because you're not. Even my sister questioned your sanity for loving me. Hate to say it but I gotta agree with her this time."

Jennie closed her eyes when Lisa leaned in to kiss her, sighing when she felt Lisa's hands on her skin. It vaguely hit her how long she had gone without Lisa's soft touches and kisses despite the quick pecks and the hand-holding; and her body shivered and shuddered with relief and excitement at every small movement that Lisa made.

In reality, it had only been less than a week but with all that was happening around them, it felt like months instead.

An involuntary moan escaped her when she felt Lisa's tongue meeting her own.

It turned into a whine when Lisa's mouth was suddenly lifted off hers, leaving her breathless as she opened her eyes and saw Lisa smiling down at her.
Without a word, Lisa stood up, pulling Jennie to her feet and towards the bedroom.

"I love you," whispered Lisa as she hovered over Jennie. "I want a family with you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Jennie's arms went around Lisa's neck. "Well this certainly feels like dejavu. Are you proposing to me, Lalisa Manoban?" She couldn't even remember their argument about her father or the case regarding Seungjin or whatever. Her mind, senses and heart were filled with only one thing: Lisa, and how much she loved her.

"I thought the deal was for you to propose to me, Jennie Kim," replied Lisa with a smirk before she slowly closed the gap, pressing Jennie down onto the mattress with her weight and kissing her ever so lightly on the nose, cheek and chin.

"Hm... That might take a while."

"I have all the time in the world," whispered Lisa as she kissed the corner of Jennie's mouth. "Don't ever apologize for being you and for what you have, okay?" she whispered against Jennie's lips. "Because you are the most beautiful person I've ever met and I'm so lucky to have you."

Jennie moved her lips, capturing Lisa's, and kissed her gently while her arms tightened, pulling Lisa down even further.

They went slow, the slowest they had ever gone during their two years together. Everything was done gently, tenderly. It wasn't just something to satisfy a physical need or make-up sex after their argument. That afternoon they made love, pouring out their hearts and feelings to each other like never before.

--

Jennie blinked and stretched before turning to her side. Her foot hit Lisa's leg and instead of retracting it, she wedged it between the sleeping woman's legs and draped her arms around the small torso, back hugging her.

She smiled when she heard Lisa huff and whine cutely as her fingers traced the milky white belly. "Wake up. We need to get lunch and pick Jiyoon up," she whispered against Lisa's hair then kissed her shoulder.

Lisa groaned before moving sluggishly, turning around to face the smiling Jennie. "What time is it?" Her eyes stayed closed.

"I don't know. After lunch, that's for sure." Jennie kissed Lisa's nose gently. "Thank you."

"For?"

"For loving me."

Lisa's eyes fluttered open. "I should be the one thanking you." Her arms moved around Jennie, resting her hand on the small of Jennie's back. "I put you through a lot yet you're still here, loving me, making me the happiest person on earth."

"Cheesy." Jennie's smile widened.

"It's the truth." Lisa gave Jennie a chaste kiss then curled up, resting her head on Jennie's chest. She let Jennie cradle her and sighed, contented. Never before had she ever felt so safe and warm; not even with him.

At first, she thought that the two people were similar but as the relationship developed, she realized how different this was from that other one.

The emotions Jennie evoked were different. The sense of safety Lisa felt was different. With him, it was more of a physical reassurance that she had someone by her side who was stronger, protective and able. With Jennie, it stretched further - deeper - inside, giving her a sense of completeness that she didn't exactly know how to explain. It was like that of a tight, warm hug that followed her wherever she went.

How she felt towards Jennie was also not similar to how she felt towards him. Yes, she loved them both at different points in time but the love for Jennie encompassed so much more than anything she had ever known or experienced. To her, Jennie was the light at the end of the dark tunnel, the person who reached inside the deep well and pulled her up. Her saving grace.

She exhaled at that thought and snuggled even closer. You're my saving grace, Jen-ah. The one good, redeeming thing in my life. The one who literally shed light on it and turned it around. For the better.

"We need to get going. Can't be late to pick Jiyoon up. And I was hoping that we could have a quiet lunch somewhere before that," Jennie spoke again as she gently stroked Lisa's hair, unknowingly interrupting the latter's thoughts. "Or a walk in the park, maybe?" She kissed the top of Lisa's head. "I love you."

Lisa shifted, looking up with a wide silly grin plastered on her face. "I love you too. By the way, that was the best so far. Even better than my birthday."

Jennie had to laugh. "I agree."

"Can I have more?" Lisa's hand began to slide down.

"Unfortunately, we don't have time for more." Jennie stopped the hand, eliciting a pout from Lisa. "You should know that starting a family automatically means less freedom in this area. At least until Jiyoon goes off to college."

"B-but... that's not in another 14 years!" exclaimed Lisa after she did a quick calculation in her head. "Oh no."

Jennie laughed when she saw the cute shocked expression. "Don't worry. We'll make time. But not now." She gave Lisa a quick peck then pried her hand off her butt. "Shower, Lili. Now."

"Shower! Let's go!" Lisa sat up, grabbed Jennie's hand then pulled the giggling woman towards the bathroom.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

121K 5.5K 37
SECOND BOOK IN THE YELLOW SERIES After a long and lengthy journey, Chaeyoung finally believes she and Lisa have reached the light at the end of the t...
6.9K 298 27
??- aww...don't you all take care of me so much. ??- we know. ??- afterall we love you so much. ??- Aigoo..... I love you all too. ______________ ...
97.9K 4.3K 31
Jennie Kim eyed Kim Jisoo, the girl her ex courted while they were still together. "Are you gonna steal him back?" jennie smirked at lisa "No, I'm go...
1M 24.7K 41
Lisa Manoban is a womanizer, everyone is falling for her charisma. But what would it be if the day comes when she will taste her own poison. Jennie...