Stars & Dreams

By VijiStories

Blurb: Rumi Chaudhary has dreams but she is no star. She is an aspiring actress who is uncomfortable with the... More

PROLOGUE
1) Delta Leonis - Talented but lazy
2) Delta Sagittari - Strong and independent
3) Beta Delphini - Artistic but self-absorbed
4)Eta Tauri - Determined and Protective
5) Alpha Orionis - Distant and Cold
6) Arcturus - Intuitive and Expressive
7) Alpha Librae - Ambitious & Focused
8) Spica Virginis - Good at Creation
9) Delta Corvi - Hard to let go of feelings...
10) Beta Leonis - Tend to be Insecure
11) Gamma Aquirii - Moody and Lonely
12) Gama Pegasi - Warrior in Control
13) Delta Scorpio - Good at Sharing
15) Zeta Piscium - Positive & Creative
16) 35 Arietis - Honest & Disciplined
17) Lambda Orionis - Knowledge Seekers
18) Lambda Scorpio - Pain and Loss
19) Alpha Leonis - Loyal and Powerful
20) Alpha Pegasi - Passionate & Indulgent
21) Alpha Tauri - Intriguing and Calm
22) Beta Geminorium - To overcome the bad
23) Antares - Wise & Protective Leaders
24) Delta Cancri - Helpful to Needy
25) Zeta Hydra - Trustworthy Partners
Epilogue

14) Beta Arietis - Ready to take risks

70 8 12
By VijiStories

Rumi wondered why Vasujit was not answering her calls. She left many messages but he didn't respond.  She had a hunch that all was not well. Now as she waited for him, a couple of rings later he answered, "Hello Rumi!"

"Hi Vasujit, I called you many times and I even left a message with your secretary."

"I know. I was on vacation."

Rumi waited for him to speak but there was no sound from the other end. Finally, Rumi broke the silence, "So Vasujit, out of the three roles of...."

Before she could finish, he interrupted her, "Rumi, you are late. The role has already been taken up."

Rumi blinked at the phone in shock, "But Vasujit, you said I would be given the first preference."

"Yes I did but you took too much time so I had to give it to someone else."

She felt sorry that she had fought for an unreliable man like him at her agency, "Are there not three roles?"

"No, I have made some changes in the script. There are only two sides to the character and one actress would be enacting both the roles."

"Oh, so who is doing the role now Vasujit?"

"Nina Karthik..."

*********

Ujjwal had the smug look of a man who had won a contest. As soon as he arrived, he took Rumi in a tight embrace even after Rumi resisted him.

"Hey Rumi, don't you start throwing your attitude at me!" he muttered when he realized that Rumi didn't enjoy his display of affection. He slumped on the chair while Ritika regarded him with a grimace. After assuring herself that Rumi was fine, Ritika left them alone.

Ujjwal glanced at Rumi and asked, "Why are you avoiding me?"

"I am not avoiding you Ujjwal. I have been busy."

"Yeah sure! I suppose you were busy with Yohan,"

Rumi's temper rose at his sarcasm. She didn't bother to reply but instead asked him if he needed anything to drink. Her indifference provoked him further, "Hey Rumi I am talking to you. Don't you dare turn your back on me now..."

Something snapped inside Rumi, "I have no intention of continuing a conversation with someone who has no respect for me."

"Really? You are the one avoiding me because you think you have become this hotshot actress after one film."

"Oh so now it is my mistake that I am not available at your beck and call. Have you considered the possibility that you are not being supportive?"

"You don't need anyone's support. You have refused everyone's help. Now don't blame me."

Rumi concluded that there was no purpose in arguing with him. He was like a bull stuck to his own logic. And she didn't think he would understand her viewpoint. Moreover he was convinced that she had become arrogant and she refused to defend herself to such people.

"So you know that Yohan has broken up with Nina. Don't you?"

"What has that got to do with us?"

"He is given you a role, hasn't he? Only to flirt with you; don't you get it? Men like Yohan are hunters; they are always looking for prey. If Nina can't hold him, no one can."

Rumi was fed up of his 'Nina' worship, "Seriously Ujjwal, are you sure that you are not in love with Nina. I think you are..."

"What? I am not in love with Nina even though she is a dear friend of mine," Ujjwal claimed.

"It doesn't seem so Ujjwal. Whenever we talk, you go on this trip about how great Nina is. Seriously Ujjwal, I think we should give ourselves space. Every time we meet, there is a new topic to fight."

"So are you breaking up with me?" Ujjwal challenged her aggressively.

"I think it is for the best."

"Fine Rumi but you will regret this. Remember I was the one who stood by you when you had nothing."

Rumi flinched at the way he said she had nothing. She figured that he wanted her to be the girl friend who felt grateful to be his companion.

Rumi didn't stop him when he left in outrage. She failed to understand his resentment. What did she do that hurt him so much? And he didn't even ask her if she clinched the role for Vasujit's movie.

With a sigh, she sat on the couch ruminating over the loss of their friendship. Did she feel pain? No she didn't but she was certain that she would miss his presence in her life. Ritika sauntered in and finding Rumi in deep thought, she made tea and brought it to her friend,

"Hey what happened?"

"We broke up," Rumi explained, "I don't understand why he is so furious. Yes, I didn't call him as soon as Yohan gave me the script but that doesn't mean that I have developed this attitude for him to complain."

"Rumi, he is insecure. Now that you have been noticed in the film industry, he feels jittery that you would dump him."

"And he keeps harping about how good Nina is."

"Ah just to make you jealous probably..." Ritika teased but Rumi was not amused that he kept comparing Nina to her.

"Anyway he swore that I would regret the decision."

Ritika took a seat next to Rumi and stroked her shoulder warmly, "Forget him Rumi. He does not deserve you. He is the same guy who deserted you on the most important day of your life. Don't fret over him. Concentrate on your career. Now that you have started getting offers, don't get side tracked," Ritika advised her friend.

"Thanks Ritika. One of the offers has slipped out of my hand."

"Oh how did it happen?"

Rumi explained about Vasujit's script and the role and his offer. When she gave the details of her conversation with Vasujit, Ritika exclaimed, "But how did Nina get to know of the offer?"

Rumi shrugged her shoulders, "Vasujit and Nina are good friends so he probably told her."

"If so, why didn't he offer her the role in the first place?"

"I don't know..."

"Rumi, do you think Ujjwal told Nina about this role?"

"What? Why would Ujjwal tell her about Vasujit's offer?"

"Probably because he is miffed that Yohan approached you?"

Rumi contemplated if that was the truth. She would never forgive Ujjwal if he had been the one who informed Nina. Rumi wondered if Nina was the one who asked Vasujit to make changes in the script.

"I am not sure Ritika. Do you think Ujjwal could stoop to such level?"

"He could if he is still carrying a torch for Nina or if he wanted to get back at you."

Put that way, it sounded plausible. "You may be right."

"Don't worry Rumi. You work your butt off for this new movie. Then we will see what that ex of yours has to say..."

Rumi's smile did not reach her eyes but she decided to forget the acrimonious break-up with Ujjwal. She only hoped that the role of Mantra would not slip out of her hands. Nina was close to Yohan so it could get tricky but she wished with all her heart that Mantra would be portrayed only by her.

***********

Yohan was in the middle of his meeting with the bank manager when Nina called him. He cut her calls and continued with the meeting. He remained busy in discussions with banks and other financiers. By the time he returned home, it was almost nine at night.

The big bungalow seemed empty without his grandmother. He was aware that his uncles were hoping that he would sell the house and share the income with everyone. He had grown up in the house with his grandparents and even though he felt lonely in the big mansion, he was sentimentally attached to the house. But he knew he had to make a decision soon.

His foremost goal was to make the story of his grandmother into a film. The bank manager was quite positive that his loan would be approved soon. Receiving the Pizza from the delivery boy, he settled down on the couch to eat it. He recalled Rumi's delicious meal and pondered what she was doing at the time. He hoped that she would be firm in her decision to do Mantra. He could not imagine anyone else as Mantra.

His phone began to ring and he answered, "Hi Nina, sorry I was in a meeting so couldn't answer."

"That is alright Yohan. You are a busy man and I wouldn't dream of disrupting your busy life."

Yohan's eyebrows went up at her reply. He gave a thoughtful glance at his phone; was she being insulting or sarcastic. He couldn't decide for he knew she could be both when she wanted.

"Cut the crap Nina. Why did you call?"

"Always the arrogant Yohan! I wonder if that new girl would do your film without any compensation."

"What a gossip monger you are Nina! Always ahead of your peers! By the way who told you about my film?"

"Who else but her boyfriend?"

"Who?"

"Ujjwal Mishra! Don't you know he is her boyfriend?"

Yohan remembered seeing Ujjwal at Rumi's house and he had made a guess then but hearing it from someone else annoyed him.

"Why did you call me Nina?"

"To tell you that it is unfair of you to not discuss the script with me first. How can you not tell me about the film Yohan?"

"I didn't think you would be interested."

"I am always interested in what you do Yohan."

"Really? Good to hear that!"

"Yohan, I still love you baby. You and I can create magic on the screen. Why don't you let me do that role baby?"

"Sorry Nina, the role is already taken up."

He could almost see Nina's calculating eyes summing up the scenario in his mind.

"Don't you want to know who has approached me with a brilliant script?"

Yohan sighed in weary resignation, "Well if you are dying to tell me then go ahead."

"And please tell your precious leading lady that she made a big mistake by choosing your script over Vasujit's"

Yohan frowned at her words but he knew her better than anyone else, "Oh so you snatched the role from Rumi to get back at me!"

"I am not that evil Yohan," she cried out but Yohan knew better.

"Good luck Nina." And he cut the call.

**********

Rumi called Yohan on a wet pouring day to inform him that she was willing to do the film. Yohan beamed with pleasure at her acceptance. They decided to meet at a restaurant in one of the western suburbs of Mumbai. Yohan reached earlier than Rumi. The monsoon was at its peak in Mumbai and one could see the dark heavy clouds that hung over the city. Many of his friends hated the monsoon but he loved it. The constant pitter-patter made him ruminate about his childhood days when he used to play in the garden with his grandparents. Some instinct made him look up and he saw Rumi entering the restaurant. She wore denim shorts and white full sleeved cotton shirt. The matching white umbrella and denim bag added to her style. Her long hair was tied in a knot at the top, giving her the regal look that had attracted him in the first place for the role of Mantra. She spotted him and with an acknowledging smile, she took the chair opposite him,

"I love these rains," they spoke in unison.

Surprised by the coincidence, they burst out laughing.

**********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

411K 20.1K 29
Untill yesterday she was Vihaan Singhania's bride... How did she end up marrying Ayansh Singhania!!! Ayansh Singhania- 26 years old, billionaire. A s...
5.8K 526 36
Featured in: "Head Over Heels" Reading List by @Romance "Shattered Memories" by @WattpadAsianFiction "Ace Of Hearts" by @WattpadChicklitIN *** Naina...
4.6K 229 28
Rudra looked toward the tree under which a beautiful girl in a Red dress is sitting with a book in her delicate hand. "It's been 30 min but still, s...
61.7K 4K 54
"I was on a goddamn vacation in this God-forsaken place. I never meant to get engaged to you. I never meant any of this to happen. You. Me. Us. None...