The Star Moon *SECOND IN THE...

By ReneeJett

*CANNOT BE READ AS A STANDALONE, MUST READ THE BLOOD MOON FIRST* Taylor King is a mystery. A hurt and broken... More

IMPORTANT
Cast
One|| Dreams
Two|| Diversion
Three|| My Queen
Four|| The Star Pack
Five|| Emmy
Six|| Learn
Seven|| Broken And It's Okay
Eight|| Fight Me
Nine|| Exploring
Ten|| Something Odd
Eleven|| Meet The Goofballs
Twelve|| I'm Sorry Too
Thirteen|| Oops, I Forgot!
Fourteen|| Borders
Fifteen|| Mommy Mikaelson
Sixteen|| New Girl
Eighteen|| Mission
Nineteen|| Gifted
Twenty|| Oh Brother
Twenty-One|| Make A Difference
Twenty-Two|| Benched
Twenty-Three|| The Hamiltons
Twenty-Four|| Please Come Home
Twenty-Five|| Date
Twenty-Six|| Luna
Twenty-Seven|| Save Her
Twenty-Eight|| Heritage
Twenty-Nine|| Happy Ever After Doesn't Mean Forever
INSTAGRAM LIVE?
Epilogue
BOOK THREE!!!
IF YOU PLAY WITH PICTURES...
WHILE YOU'RE WAITING

Seventeen|| Calm

159 9 0
By ReneeJett

A/N: Sorry it's late! Only one today though.🥰.

——————————————————

"Oof!"

Summer hit the ground again and popped back up to her feet.

"I'm good," She said breathlessly.

"Come on, you can do this." I encouraged her.

"I growing a bit more doubtful of that each time you take me down," Summer replied.

I laughed. "Come on, I'm getting old here waiting for you."

----------------

Jess came at Ariel from the front and Willow came at her from behind. Ariel parried Jess' blow and ducked, moving to the side to avoid Willow's.

Ariel whirled around so she was facing them both, and then they went at it.

The sounds of their staffs clashing rang out across the field as Ariel twirled the piece in her hands, blocking one blow and another.

She looked especially fierce.

With a twirl of her staff and a flick of her wrist, Willow twisted the staff right out of Ariel's hands, and it fell to the ground behind Willow.

Jess came at Ariel high and Willow came at her low.

Ariel quickly jumped through the opening between their staffs headfirst, rolling and somersaulting across the grass, grabbing her staff as she popped back up to her feet.

They turned around to face Ariel and she blew out a puff of air, moving her brown strands out of her eyes.

"Thinking of calling it quits?" Jess teased Ariel with a friendly grin.

"Who, me? I'm not tired, are you?" Ariel asked.

Willow spun around and took her by surprise, crouching down and sweeping Ariel's legs out from underneath her.

She landed on her back and let out an "oof!".

She propped herself up on her elbows and looked up at the two girls, who high fived each other with matching grins.

------------------------

"I'll be back later," Evan said. "I gotta make a call, it could take a while."

He put his hands on my shoulders from behind the couch. I looked up at him.

"Okay."

He leaned down and kissed me from behind, then left, jogging downstairs.

"I hope my mate will look at me like that one day," Summer said dreamily.

I laughed. "You'd have to have a stupid mate for him not to look at you like that." Summer shrugged.

"Here's hoping he's not," she said, crossing her fingers.

"Here's hoping," I agreed.

---------------------------

I paced in slow circles in the training room, twirling my staff in my hands.

My thoughts swirled as I spun the piece, wondering what I would ever get out of these fights.

Killing only came easily because I was used to it.

But did I want to kill?

What did I want? Did I even know? Had I ever known? Would I ever?

It seemed that my life was continually one decision after another that was made for me by the circumstances of my life.

"I know that face," I looked up to see Jemma walking up to me, dressed in workout clothes. "That's the pity party face so many of you Gifted wear."

"What pity party face?" I asked.

"The one where you think back on how your life is screwed up, you haven't really been living, just not dying." Jemma asked, crossing her arms and arching an eyebrow.

I chuckled bitterly. "You're good. And accurate. But it's not a pity party."

"Then what would you call it? A moment of clarity?" She mocked, and I deadpanned her.

"Realization. Reminicsion. Whatever you wanna call it." I shrugged.

"Well whatever it is, it's over. It's not gonna do you any good to mull over it. Let's train."

"Jemma-"

Jemma smacked me across the face with the end of her Bo staff, interrupting my question.

"No talking." Jemma said, staring at me with serious hazel green eyes.

"Aren't you supposed to be the nice one?" I complained, grabbing my own staff and clicking it, the ends extending out.

"I'm the motherly one," she corrected. "This is what I like to call tough love."

She launched herself forward, spinning the staff in her hands as she turned around in a tight circle.

I barely managed to raise my staff in time to parry her blow.

I was thrown to an immediate defense, attempting to remain standing as Jemma threw all of her skills at me without hesitation.

I don't even know how she did it, but she hit my legs out from underneath me, and I hit the ground with a thud, groaning with the wind knocked out of me.

"You're distracted. You're not paying attention, not even a little bit." Jemma said in a scolding tone. "What's on your mind?"

"What, so now I'm allowed to talk?" I asked incredulously..

"You're unable to focus, you'll be useless out in the field." Jemma replied. "You need to talk about this. If not with me, with someone."

"Yeah, who am I supposed to talk to? My resilient Queen or my hardened mate?" I asked sarcastically, and then sighed, realizing my tone was rude. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude."

"Talk to me." Jemma sat down across from me.

"I'm a killer, Jemma," I said, looking up at her. "I kill people. And I don't want to. I don't want to be a killer. I don't want this life," I gestured around me. "But when I fight, I get a rush. I feel..." I couldn't find the word.

"Like you've gotten some power and control back." Jemma said, her eyes filled with understanding. I nodded.

"I don't even know what I want in life. I don't know what my dreams and aspirations are. My life has been all about staying alive and out of Dante's hands. I haven't been able to even live it." I threw my hands up in the air.

"You think any of us asked for this?" Jemma asked me. "We're all dealt horrible crap we have to deal with, Taylor. Not a single person here leads a life of their own, not even us Alphas. Our lives are dedicated to the pleasure and the needs of our pack. Nothing else. We all have to make choices and sacrifices because of the positions we've been put in."

"But why?" I asked, saddened. "Why can't I just live my life for me? I mean, I know why," I corrected. "But still... why is it me stuck this way? Why is it us?"

"Those are questions no one can answer, Taylor. You have to let them go before they eat you alive." Jemma gold me, rising to her feet.

"Evan," I said suddenly, and she stopped. "I don't know if I can..."

"If you can what?" Jemma asked.

"If I can be with him. I don't know if I'm right for this. For him."

"The fact that you're questioning yourself shows me that you are." Jemma told me. I was beyond confused, stating after her as she walked away.

In the distance I heard a small explosion, catching both of our attention. I scrambled to my feet and we ran upstairs, following the sound into the backyard.

"What happened?" Jemma asked.

I saw James and Phoebe standing in the middle of the field, laughing hard. On a tree stump rested a broken bottle, pieces of the shattered glass scattered around the stump.

"She made it explode instead of heat," Hudson explained from his spot on the porch.

I laughed with the others, walking back onto the porch.

Hudson nudged me as I passed him and I nudged him back.

"Where's Evan?" Hudson asked.

"He's on the phone." I replied. His clear blue eyes were directed away from me and he nodded in the direction he was looking.

"Not anymore."

I turned to see Evan walking back from the woods, looking serious and bothered.

He leaped over the steps up to the back porch and walked over to me, taking my hand in his silently and pulling me with him inside.

"Wh- what?"

He ignored my confused statement and pulled me into a small room.

I looked around.

"Evan this is the bathroom," I said, stating the obvious. "What are you-"

"Charlie." He said, and I stopped talking.

"What about him?"

Was Evan's brother dead?

"We may have a good lead. I may know where he is, for real this time." Evan told me.

"Where?" I asked.

"Germany."

"I'm sorry what?" I demanded. "Germany? Really? Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. Axel's sure." Evan said, his voice quiet and breathless. "I- I have to-"

"I know," I cut him off, taking his face in my hands. "Go get your brother, Evan. I'll be fine."

"I- I don't want to-"

"I know." I interrupted him again. "I know. I'll be fine."

He nodded, giving me a sweet kiss. "Thank you."

He left me side and opened the door, moving to leave. My hand caught his arm and I stopped him.

"Evan," I said slowly, and he paused, his blue eyes staring at me. "Just remember, we don't know what he's been through. We don't know what they did to him.  Torture changes people, Evan, I would know."

His eyes darkened at the thought, his face turning into a grimace.

"If you're trying to warn me he may be damaged, I know."

"No, Evan." I said, shaking my head. "Well, yes- but no. I'm saying the man you bring home may not be your brother anymore. You have to be ready to accept that."

"I know." Evan replied, his eyes searching me. "I know," He repeated, leaving the bathroom.

I walked out, following him outside and standing on the front porch, watching him get in the car to drive away.

He turned on the car and pulled towards the gate, and I hugged my body, worried sick.

The brake lights shone as the car came to a sudden stop, and he threw it into reverse, speeding backwords, up to the steps.

He got out of the car and hurried around the fronr, and I walked down the steps, going to meet him.

I threw my arms around his neck and our lips collided in a desperate kiss, our embrace tight and pleading.

"Please be careful," Evan stressed, his blue eyes filled with worry.

"Are you worried about me, Evan Mikaelson?" I asked teasingly.

He scoffed, smirking and rolling his eyes. "Yes, worried you'll do something incredibly stupid while I'm gone."

"I'll be fine," I whispered, my hands cupping his face. "Go find Charlie, okay? Then come back to me."

"I promise." He said softly, kissing me one last time before returning to his car and driving off for good this time.

I turned around to see Jemma standing in the doorway, Hudson creeping behind her.

"How disgusting," Hudson remarked, walking away. "I need to go wash my eyes with soap! Actually, no, probably bleach!" He called over his shoulder.

Jemma just smiled, and nodded. "You're right for him." She told me, slapping the trim with her hands and walking away.

I touched my lips, thinking about that kiss.

It felt so right.

Maybe it was.

---------------------------------

"Oh come on!" I complained.

I got up off the foor, and retracted the ends on my staff, setting the gadget on the bench and turning to Jemma.

"Can we just fight with our fists for a bit?" I asked.

Jemma shrugged. "Sure."

We started towards each other, and I was the first to swing.

She blocked my punch and I launched myself forward, punching her one more time, and she blocked again.

I kicked her in the chest, but she grabbed my ankle before I could make co6ntacr. As she prepared to flip me I readied myself, flipping my body in the air so I kicked her in the face with my other foot and landed on one foot, spinning around so I could land the other.

"You're getting better," Jemma remarked.

"Thanks." I replied, shaking out my body and shrugging. "I've been working on it."

"Good." Jemma punched me right in the face, knocking me back.

"Ow!" I cried, popping back up, wincing. "Really?"

"You lowered your guard, Taylor." Jemma spoke with exasperation.

"You sound like Evan," I grumbled.

"Maybe you should listen to him more often," she remarked, raising an eyebrow at me. I scoffed and rolled my eyes, spinning around and punching her in the stomach.

Jemma took a step back in surprise, but recovered immediately and racing back at me.

We collided and she tackled me to the ground but I rolled us over, getting on top.

She pushed me back with a surge of strength and I landed a couple of inches away, landing on my butt.

Our legs locked in a battle while our hands exchanged blocks and blows.

Finally I managed to link our arms together and twist mine, pinning hers to the side and throwing my head against hers, our foreheads colliding.

That move hurt me as much as it did her.

She twisted us around, using her legs to get leverage over me and pin me, her hand at my throat.

Her eyes shone pink, and I glared at her. "Not fair!" I ground out. She smirked.

I got a hand free and placed it on the ground, feeling power surge through me, and our bodies went flying off the ground into the brick wall, her back pinned against it, my hand at her throat.

"Nice!" She commented breathlessly. I let her go and backed away.

"Thanks," I replied, breathing heavily. "I've been working on that too."

--------------------

I heard the leaves crunch underneath my boots as I walked through the woods, breathing in the fresh air and taking in the scenery.

I stopped suddenly and closed my eyes, inhaling deeply and exhaling. I blocked out all of my senses and then just let myself go, feeling the vibrations in the earth below me.

I could feel the energy resonating in everything around me, from the trees, to the rock, the creek, and even a squirrel.

I pulled from the ground and held my hands up, palms facing the sky, letting the vibrations resonate out of my hands.

The force blew my hair around and made the leaves and branches above me tremble.

I opened my eyes and looked around me, laughing slightly in awe.

"Having fun?" I turned around to see Hudson standing leaned up against a tree, an amused smirk on his face.

"I can feel it all." I said breathlessly, looking around me. "It doesn't hurt as much anymore."

"How are you? With your brother?" Hudson asked, and I felt a pang deep in my chest.

"It hurts still. I cry sometimes. I try not to, but I can't help it." I admitted.

Hudson nodded. "Are they treating you well, at the Star Pack?"

I nodded vigorously. "Oh yes. I've made a few friends. They're very kind and welcoming."

"I'm sure now more than ever, since you took a bullet for one of their own," he remarked jokingly, but he wasn't far off.

"You're not wrong," I said with a laugh as we walked back towards Haven.

"Am I ever?" He teased, and I rolled my eyes.

"Cocky much?"

"Who, me?" He gasped with mock surprise. "Never," he said in an exaggerated tone.

"Oh, whatever," I said, scoffing at him and laughing.

We walked up onto the Haven back porch and went inside, Hudson holding the door open for me with a goofy bow.

I laughed at him and followed him into the kitchen, where Jess and Willow were moving around in the kitchen, dancing and singing along to a song playing over the radio and cooking.

"What're you making?" I asked curiously, moving to sit at the bar.

"You are about to have the honor of tasting Willow's world famous fettuccini." Jess said with an exaggerated Italian accent, waving her hands in the air and kissing her fingertips.

Willow giggled and blushed. "Its not work famous." She denied, embarassed.

"Like hell it isn't," James objected, entering the kitchen and wrapping his arms around Willow's waist, planting a kiss on her cheek from behind. "My baby's the best damn cook in the whole world."

He whispered something in her ear that I chose not to listen in on, and she blushed deep red while James left with two bottles of water and a smirk on his face.

"What'd he say?" I asked Willow. She was silent, biting her lip, still embarrassed.

"Knowing James, probably something sexual." Hudson remarked.

"Oh yeah, like you're any better," I scoffed.

Hudson chuckled. "Never said I was," he replied, shooting a wink at Jess, who rolled her eyes and turned her back on him.

"Ooh, burned." I nudged him, grinning. He shrugged, unaffected.

"I like a challenge. Makes things more fun." He said mischievously.

----------------------------

"What! No!" James smacked Ariel's hand. "Thats a terrible movie! It's totally incorrect!"

"Avengers?" Isabella suggested.

"Which one?" Phoebe pointed out.

"Maze Runner," Jess suggested. "Willow and I have been wanting to see it."

"Why the hell not?" Hudson shrugged, and one by one the others nodded in agreement.

James stole the remote and searched up the movie, pressing play and settling back, smoothly putting his arm on the back of the couch behind Willow.

I checked my phone for any messages from Evan, but there was nothing.

"Evan?" Jess asked me softly from her seat beside me. I nodded.

"I just want to make sure everything's okay."

She opened her arms for me and I snuggled against her, resting my head on her shoulder in the crook of her neck.

We used to cuddle like this all the time when we were kids, expect Thomas would usually be the one holding onto us.

I felt a singular tear slide down my cheek at the thought of my brother and I closed my eyes, listening to the sound of Jess' beating heart to calm myself.

"Cuddle party? I'm jealous." Hudson joked, and Jess scoffed, the movement sending vibrations throughout her body and mine.

I blocked out all of my senses and focused on the humm of bodies all around me.

----------------------

"Taylor! Taylor!"

I was shaken awake violently by Hudson, and shot up quickly, looking around.

"W-what's going on?" I asked.

Hudson and Phoebe stood in the common room, staring at me worriedly.

"You were shaking the entire property, Taylor. Tossing and turning... it looked like a really bad dream." Phoebe said.

I tried to think back, but my mind was blank. I just felt a deep, black hole in my stomach.

"I- I don't remember what it was." I stammered. "No one else...?"

"We were the only ones awake," Hudson gestured between himself and the teen.

"Are you okay?" Phoebe asked worriedly.

I sighed heavily, shaking my head and running a hand over my face.

"I'm just gonna go for a run, get it out of my system." I said, getting up and pushing past them, practically running down the stairs and out the back door.

I tore apart my clothes, racing through the woods, trying to outrun the horrible feeling sitting inside me.

I came upon the creek and skidded to a stop, my paws causing deep gouges in the creek bed.

I stared down at myself in the water's reflection, the light of the moon glowing in the clear night sky.

What was going on with me?

Taylor? Taylor, baby, are you there? Evans's voice filled my head, and he sounded worried.

I remained silent, wondering how to respond.

Taylor, please answer me, I need to know you're okay.

I'm fine. I replied.

What happened? Are you okay? Evan asked.

It was nothing. I'm fine. I lied.

You're not fine. I marked you, remember? I feel what you feel. What happened?

Hudson called, didn't he? I asked, frowning internally.

Of course he called, you worried him. You're worrying me.

I don't know what happened. I don't- I can't... I couldn't finish my sentence.

I'm coming home. He said automatically.

What?! No! You need to find your brother. I argued.

You need me. I'm coming home.

I'm fine. I said firmly. I need you to find your brother. Please don't come back.

Taylor? His voice was soft, and he sounded scared. I was lying so hard, and was trembling inside. The vibrations from everything around me was being drawn into my body, and I couldn't stop the flow. I was going to explode.

Don't come home. I said before shoving him out of my head and running again, losing track of how far I'd run.

I finally shifted in the middle of a field and my back arched backwards from the force as I let go, and an explosion of vibration echoed from my body, flattening the grass.

There was always a price to pay.

Evan's P.O.V

I paced in the hotel room I was staying in, worried sick. Taylor was unreachable- she was disconnected from the link and wasn't answering her phone.

Finally my phone began to ring, and I grabbed it from the bed, answering it.

"Hello?" I asked quickly.

"I found her," Hudson said, his face popping up on my tiny screen.

He grimaced and then flipped the camera.

Taylor was laying in the middle of a field, Hudson's suit jacket covering her naked body, everything around her flattened or blown to pieces.

"She did that?" I asked, breathless with shock.

"Looks like it. She's alive, but she's out cold, and probably will be for a while. It looks like she knew exactly what to do, as if-"

"As if it's happened before," I finished.

"Keep in mind that I said she's okay," Hudson said slowly,and then he walked around. I caught a glimpse of Ariel's little sister, who was crouched beside my mate.

"Are you sure you want to do that?" Phoebe asked Hudson apprehensively.

"He'll kill us if he found out later and it wasn't from one of us." Hudson replied.

He rounded Taylor's body, which was curled in a fetal position on the ground.

My eyes widened when the camera was lowered and got closer to her face.

Her black hair was strewn across her face, but that wasn't the only thing.

Dried blood caked her face, seemingly coming from her nose and eyes.

"It's a power overload," Phoebe explained. "Her body couldn't take it. It happens to Gifted and to witches. It's normal."

"There is nothing normal about that," I seethed through gritted teeth.

"She wanted you to find your brother, Evan. Don't come home. We've got this." Hudson told me, and he hung up.

I paced the room again, coming to a stop by the window and staring up at the moon.

I'll be home soon, Taylor. I promise you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

242 4 17
Kate is seventeen and she is in the blood moon pack the alpha is Dylan and he is eighteen and he's also looking for his mate. Dylan is possessive abo...
112K 2.6K 19
The Blood Moon Book, section Thirty of Rule Nine, page twelve, paragraph four line six "An eldest son, taking the throne must have a mate, by full mo...
1.3M 33.4K 39
Della King has been a rogue for eight years. She left her pack and family at age fifteen when she found out her mate had died. After running for so l...
186K 2.6K 56
Finding your soulmate in a werewolf community is the greatest thing that could happen to you. But not to Chase. Chase, the soon-to-be Alpha of the B...