Trying Not To Love (COMPLETED)

By Books_and_nerds

I stepped forward and asked, "Where do you want me?" It took me a second to realize what I just said. Shit! I... More

Introduction ✅
Disclaimer ✅
Characters ✅
Chapter 1 ✅
Chapter 2 ✅
Chapter 3 ✅
Chapter 4 ✅
Chapter 5 ✅
Chapter 6 ✅
Chapter 7 ✅
Chapter 8 ✅
Chapter 9 ✅
Chapter 10 ✅
Chapter 11 ✅
Chapter 12 ✅
Chapter 13 ✅
Chapter 14 ✅
Chapter 15 ✅
Chapter 16 ✅
Chapter 17 ✅
Chapter 18 ✅
Chapter 19 ✅
Chapter 20 ✅
Chapter 21 ✅
Chapter 22 ✅
Chapter 23 ✅
Chapter 24 ✅
Chapter 25 ✅
Chapter 26 ✅
Chapter 28 ✅
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36

Chapter 27 ✅

108 24 0
By Books_and_nerds

Chapter Twenty seven- Shakespeare

Cassandra

Even in my light sleep, I felt sun on me. Warm and caressing. I stifled a yawn and tried to turn away from the sun but something held onto me. An eye watering yawn escaped me through my grogginess and I stretched my arms above my head.

I felt the heaviness on my stomach. Groaning, I opened one eye and looked down at my torso.

An arm?

An arm!

I trailed my eyes up the arm and saw Easton soundly sleeping on his stomach. His face turned towards me and his arm draped over my stomach.

My heart took a high notch, thudding wildly.

What was I--

The talk.

I told him about dad and he told me about his mom and that he had misunderstood us as one his father's project. And then we kind of drifted into silence and fell asleep?

My heart consistently knocked against my chest and begged me to let it out so it could meet his. Look away and go! My head yelled at me.

And leave this full on amazing opportunity to ogle at him that too from this close? My heart countered.

I licked my lips and let my gaze wander over him, whole of him. To his messy dark hair, beautiful thick lashes, and the cut on his nose. Alden had told me what happened.

I forgot to ask him about that last night. Who knew if he ever would be back in the mood to open up to me.

I wanted to trace my fingers along his brows, cheekbones, sharp jawline, pale pink lips, that tiny mole on the side, and just memorize over again and again.

The sun was shining through his french doors, shadowing his dark features.

Damn! I had really fallen for him, hadn't I?

And from last night, it was clear he wanted Jeanette and loved her. Maybe I was one of those rocks relationships stumble upon to have a test.

And he passed it. Whatever he felt for me wasn't strong enough and... it hurt.

Because I wanted to be more than a test in their relationship thrown in by the universe.

Why did universe hate me so much?

I sighed and gazed around the mess he loved living in. His walls looked like it had things hung on it but, gotten removed at some time. His study table, dresser were messed up and piled with probably junk.

Their was a photo of him and Jeanette on my side of the bedside table. I grabbed it and looked at it, feeling fire in my chest.

Jeanette had her arms around him and his were wrapped around her waist. Their bodies touching. They were at a beach and she looked beautiful in a blue polka dot bikini while Easton was in white button down shirt and grey beach shorts.

They looked beautiful and happy together.

Tears stung at the back of my eyes and I carefully pulled his arm away, setting it down in front of him. I slipped off the bed and wore my flip flops, rushing out the door.

And then stopped short in my tracks when I saw Jeanette. My heart leaped in my throat.

Her eyes glanced at the door I had emerged from and then trailed over me from head to toe. Thank god I was wearing my full sleeves hoodie and grey pajamas. I made my hair in a bun and walked over to her with half smile-- as if I hadn't just walked out of her boyfriend's bedroom.

Swallowing the lump, I licked my lips and I didn't like the worry lines on her forehead.

"I... had to, um..." Here it goes, "I swear we didn't do anything. We were just talking and then we just fell asleep. I promise, it wasn't my intention to--" She hugged me.

Hugged me?

Okay... so she believed me.

I took a deep breath and hugged her back, relieved.

She pulled away and smiled. "I trust you, calm down." You shouldn't. I wanted to say that but pressed my lips together.

"I was just going to surprise him. He'd been apologizing this entire week and I would've talked to him sooner but then I got somethings of my own and..." she trailed shrugging.

I raised my brows and faked a smile. "Well, best of luck. Though you don't need it. He really misses you."

She swallowed and nodded. She let go of my hand and headed inside, shutting the door. The sound of it felt like a slap on my heart.

***

Telling Easton about dad was maybe the best thing I'd done last night considering the past week. After all, all I did was ignore him at all costs, kept my head glued to the books even though I understood and learnt nada, and cried myself to sleep every night of this week.

If letting it out to one person felt so good, confessing to Alden would free me of all the guilt and the heaviness piling in my chest. And maybe he would then track down dad and we all would be able to help him get through whatever he felt.

I grabbed my new phone which had magically appeared on my bed the next day-- the exact copy of my old phone. I had a guess who did that. He must have seen the broken pieces of my old phone scattered on the floor.

I had lost my dad's number. I hadn't saved it and it was in my phone not in the Sim card. Now I didn't know how to reach him. Wishing, he would call today-- especially today, I would be keeping it close to me all the times.

It was more than ten and my mind was again and again wondering about what could be happening in the room next to me so I did what I loved.

I grabbed my phone, headphones, scrambled into my running clothes and headed downstairs. I grabbed the Gatorade and drank it up.

I ran a hand through my mess of tangles and wished I had combed through them before rushing out. But, I needed to clear my thoughts of Easton.

Fine! It wasn't possible but I wanted to try.

I put my headphones on and stretched a little before taking off. The sun was hidden behind the clouds and the chilling breeze picked on my poor clothing ability.

I made my hair in a bun while I kept running. The streets were that silent because well it was past ten not six.

After an hour or so of exhausting myself and forcing my head and heart to work in sync because it was crystal clear he was with Jeanette and he would always be. I was just a guest he was trying to befriend and nothing else.

I so damn wished I could really make my heart believe all that. But, I couldn't. It hurt. Every fucking single time. It hurt.

I walked into the kitchen and was startled to find Linda in there.

Wiping a little sweat that made it's way on my forehead, I smiled. "What are you doing here?" She twirled around with knife in her hand, pointing at me.

She breathed through her mouth and rolled her eyes. "You scared me! I thought you guys weren't up yet."

I chuckled and poured myself a glass of water. Drinking all of it in one go, I heaved a sigh and plopped down on the bar stool, watching her cook.

Just the sight of food made my stomach crumble with starvation.

"Well I am. And you didn't answer my question."

She didn't work on Saturdays. Not that I couldn't use the company. I didn't like the fact my brothers and sister forgot my birthday. Not that I blame them.

Tabby had a best friend over last night and might be still asleep. Jenny had been coming a lot lately and I was glad about that because at least Tabby had someone with her. Arnold did break her heart but not her spirit. I knew she was strong and she was on the path of proving me right.

I hated when we had to move every single time. Not for myself. But, for them. I always made sure to stick to the background and be invisible. That way no one graced me with their glance and I was able to remain detached from everyone.

Maybe dad was right about this time. Maybe they needed this more than I thought. How could I be so selfish and ask them to leave all of it behind and pack? But lying wasn't fine either. I had to do something.

She dropped a spoon and it snapped me out of my thoughts. Sighing, she picked it up and dumped it in the sink, grabbing another and continuing stirring the omelette mixture in the bowl. Her eyes found mine and she quietly answered. "Mr. Brinkley is back from his trip. I got a call from him this morning when he arrived. He didn't know Easton let us off for two nights in a week. So, I made up a lie and came as soon as I could."

I nodded, still breathing a little heavy from my run.

She added, "And you should probably go upstairs and shower if you want some breakfast." I realized I was gawking at the omelette.

She chuckled and nudged me out. Dramatically huffing, I walked out and rushed upstairs making sure I wouldn't bump into either Easton or Jeanette.

Taking a quick shower, I washed my hair and then while I gave my conditioner couple of minutes to soak in my hair, I shaved my arms and legs and a little down stairs too. I liked feeling clean.

Once done, I washed my hair. I'd brushed earlier so I only washed my face and walked out wrapped in a towel.

"Oh shit!" I shrieked, jumping back in the bathroom and shut the door.

Alden was waiting in the room. Good thing he wasn't facing me.

"Alden! What are you doing here?" I yelled from inside.

I bet he's feeling flustered. "I'm sorry! I didn't... well I wanted to say something." giddiness over took my rational side and I grinned.

Finally!

He remembers.

"Yeah? What?" I almost jumped on my feet.

"Uh... Have I told you that Brianna is coming over today. You know, I just wanted to give you a heads up. So you know..."

Heat rose to my cheeks. I think it was anger bursting in me.

But, I managed a normal tone when I said, "Yeah, you didn't! But, I get it. Won't be coming barging in your room."

He laughed. "Okay then. See you later."

"Yeah." I muttered, leaning against the door.

No! I refuse to cry.

It's completely normal and fine.

When I heard him leave, I walked out and took a shaky breath.

I scrambled into black loose track pants, white tank top topped with my warm light blue hoodie-- which had a hood in the back. Yup! The only reason I got this one. It was plain and boring otherwise.

I dried my hair and combed through the mess patiently. Wearing them up in a bun, I let the short strands dance around freely.

I wore my flip flops and headed down for some amazing breakfast and grabbed my new reading book with me.

Book and breakfast didn't hurt when mixed together.

I stepped through the first set of double doors, grabbing a seat without looking, since I was too engrossed to know what Antonio would do now when he had realized what mistake he had made running after Cleopatra and leaving his soldiers strangled in the war which he promised to lead, and plopped down on the chair.

"Food!" I yelled, and smiled realizing how much he loved her and forgave her for running away because she was scared. But then it was a cheesy love which only existed in books and not in the harsh reality.

And deep down I knew Easton wasn't going to forgive me when I'd tell him the truth.

"I see you're feeling at home." A deep voice startled me and I dropped the book in my lap. My heart pounded fast in my ears and I glanced up at the guy sitting opposite to me couple of chairs ahead-- closer to the kitchen door.

I licked my lips, and pondered over his statement. Did he mean it sarcastically? Or was it a just a friendly remark?

He was the older version of Easton and it only added cherry of my anxiousness. Mr. Brinkley sat there with blank expressions on his face, amazingly hiding his true expressions. His hair were same shade of dark but thinner, his eyes were same too but weary and slightly cold. He had bags under them. Thick stubble made a shadow on his jaw and then he burst into laughter and I saw the glimpse of the dimples.

He truly was carbon copy of him.

Was this the same man who cheated on his wife more than once? The father apparently not much liked my his own son.

I swallowed the lump.

At least his laughter told he was just kidding.

He quieted down and smiled at me. "Relax. I was just messing with you. I'm glad you all have settled in nicely. I hope Easton hadn't been a headache to any of you."

I shook my head and just then Linda walked in, too stiffened and anxious for her own good. She handed my plate stuffed with omelette, bread slices, bacon, and hash browns. She tried to pour me a glass of juice when I shook my head and did it myself.

She smiled and headed back in the kitchen.

"Are you saying my trouble making son was good to all of you?" He chuckled and the lack of trust in his own son, urged me to throw the juice glass on his face and ask him to wake up!

Ugh!

The need to defend was too strong and over took me. I took a bite and shook my head. "He's been too nice if you ask me. I think I was the one who stirred things around."

Suddenly, he coughed and used the napkin to wipe his mouth. He was wearing one of those highly expensive business suits complete with tie and cuff links.

"I apologize. It's just first time anyone had tried to defend him."

I swallowed the bile and furrowed my brows at him.

Was he for real.

"I'm serious. On the first day here, I burnt my hand then in the first week I tripped and hurt my knees... and Easton had been so sweet about it all, taking care and all..." I trailed, finding amusement in his torturous expressions.

Why wasn't he happy that Easton had changed or at least kind off. It wasn't all lie. He did cared for me, sometimes took care of me, defended me, helped me, and been there for me. So yeah, he needed his eyes or actually brain checked for thinking so low about his son.

He nodded and grabbed his fork, getting to the next bite.

I stared down at my food and thought if I had stepped onto some sort of line. Because he was my dad's friend and was letting us stay at his place.

I took a breath and glanced at him, clearing my throat. Getting his attention, I smiled. "We all are really grateful of you to let us stay here."

He smiled and nodded. "It's my pleasure." His eyes roamed around me. My face, my body and honestly I didn't like the way he looked at me.

I licked my lips and suddenly found my stomach repelling the idea of anymore food.

"So I see a beautiful young lady like you prefer to read Shakespeare?" He asked, eyeing the book I was reading.

A snort left my throat and I shook my head. "Hell no! It's for school. Shakespeare and me... don't get along." I joked.

He laughed even though it wasn't that funny. I guess I wasn't a lame joker.

The heavy footsteps and the loud laugh of Jeanette made me turn my head to the door and I saw them both abruptly stop and gawk at the man at the table.

Join the club, I had the same expressions they had. I assumed Easton didn't know he was coming today by the way his hands balled into fists and his knuckled turned white.

I swallowed the lump that settled in my throat and watched his eyes lock with mine. Something passed through his face and he immediately grabbed Jeanette's hand in his.

Yeah, I know! Don't need to shove it in my face again and again.

I was about to leave when his dad called, "It's time you came. And how are you Jeanette honey?"

"I'm great. I-uh... was just leaving." She took her hand out from his grip and stepped back. I could tell she was tensed too.

"Oh bummer! Well, maybe next time then."

She smiled and nodded. They kissed for the briefest moment I had ever saw them and she rushed out.

I noticed Easton's stiffened shoulders. "Well, you can join us, right Cassandra?"

I snapped my eyes at him. He knew my name? He could have thought I was Tabby. Had he seen us before? In photos dad might have sent him or something?

"No thanks, daddy." The way he said DADDY, I wanted to throw my head back and laugh but managed a discreet brief smile.

"I have to go."

He turned around in a hurry.

"Where?" His dad's voice had changed. More commanding and scary if you asked me.

Easton heaved a sigh. "Elliot's."

And then he was out the door so fast. I too excused myself, giving the lame excuse of studying.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 213 30
[CURRENTLY UNDER EDITING!] The 'almost love' story of Liv Arlene and Nate Caesar. I was almost good for her. I was almost good for him. Liv and...
179K 5.7K 81
His hands cold, his eyes dark holding something that no one knows. A dark aura on him that makes people stay away. He's a loner, everyone avoids him...
1.7M 52.8K 72
One day you're happy, and the next, a freak accident exposes your boyfriend's dirty little secrets in the worst possible way. I lost the man I loved...
20.5M 346K 42
#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | #1 Romance "We all need someone to drive us mad." - The Wombats. He stared arrogantly down at me, a smirk plaste...