My Secretary

By RobertHelliger

Nathaniel Carson, 33, a New York businessman, hires a secretary to take care of the office paperwork. But, wh... More

Prologue-The search
Chapter Two-The second secretary
Chapter Three-The third secretary
Chapter Four-The new secretaries
Chapter Five-Anna
Chapter Six-Beth
Chapter Seven-Karlona
Chapter Eight-The secretaries-Part one
Chapter Nine-The secretaries-Part two-Epilogue

Chapter One-The secretary

8.4K 100 2
By RobertHelliger

Picture of Jenna Shchert, one of the New York secretaries who spells trouble in 'My Secretary', right in the media section; and a 1950 B/W film called 'Office Etiquette', about how US secretaries behave, and the "DO'S and DON'T", when you're in the Office.

Warning: It is rated PG for sex references, adult themes.

You must be 13 years and over to see and hear it.

*

Lower Manhattan,

New York,

December 10, 2014,

7:31 AM.

*

The Office was expensive.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

It, for all sense and purposes, all paid for my Old Man's inheritence money. But I was happy with the Terms and Agreements that Mal Sfer, the Jewish lawyer, who oversaw his wealth. I stated my case; I got my money to start-up my own business...

...And everyone was happy.

*

You don't have to see my system of jobs that women came for.

They flirted; they preened; they showed their legs...

...They showed too much flesh; they showed off.

*

Because, in the old days of the late 40's and '50's, the office was a man's domain. They held the office like a King rules a Kingdom; they held to account what was, in my opinion, the sex appeal of the women who worked in the office.

In Grandpa's day, women worked at home; wives worked at home.

And no one clashed; no one.

*

"A man needs to do his work...without any distractions", Grandpa said. He was Jew who prayed in Isreal when he wasn't in his Lower Manhattan office; Grandma worked her way from the bottom to the top by being very strict with me...and my three sisters.

*

From the memories of the past week:

"Stop being a klutz".

"I'm not a klutz, bubbe".

"I won't let you disparage...".

"Ani Mitzta'er".

And she smiled...

...And we ate dinner together in the huge Dining Room in their Upper Manhattan apartment...and everything was back to normal.

*

Back to the present...

...Lower Manhattan...

...December 10, 2014...

...7:14 AM.

The office was crammed with a filing cabinet; mahogany drawers; a large boardroom table in the middle; two lamps to the left and right of me; framed pictures of my family members; blue colored curtains that swayed in the cold, New York weather; two stools that were used for correction purposes of secretaries; and soap to wash my hands with in the sink in the restrooms down the long, spacious hallway; and my name was in the middle of the room.

Written in bold letters was my name:

 NATHANIEL T. CARSON,

PRESIDENT OF CARSON OFFICE MANAGEMENT

I stared at the pictures of women who were in my I-phone 6.

All of them were out of New York college.

And their education was limited to basic computer use.

"Now...Ellen, can you use the Internet?", I asked.

"No", she answered.

"No. This is 2014...Not 1984".

"I'm sorry...but you're not ready for this job. Thank..."

"Stuff you!".

And she stormed off...and left me sighing.

*

By 8:02 AM, I drank my first coffee.

I wore a blue suit, black tie, brown trousers, and black belt. My brown hair was receding; my brown eyes glistened in the bright lights of the office; my face was lined.

I hope the next girl isn't psycho, I thought...

...as the aroma of the coffee took away the sourness of the bitter taste of losing more seceretaries than I could afford on my $US25,000 salary.

*

The second secretary was blonde, petite, and bloody sexy.

Her aqua colored blouse was loose; her slender legs was hot. Yet, she had had a flirty sense of fun to her that was attractive.

But this wasn't a dating office.

*

"Shalom. I'm Nathaniel Carson. Please take a seat, Miss...".

"Shalom!  I'm Carolyn Barher".

"The daughter of Michah Barher".

"He is always busy. And I have experience".

"Good. I want someone to use their notebook to write down times, dates, and so on for the year. Pay is $US15,000, plus car, gas, and living expenses to and from work".

"That's a lot of money".

"Yes, but it's necessary. I have a lot of interviews, Carolyn".

"Oh, I don't want...".

"It's fine. Because of your enthusiastic way of being professional during the job interview stage...you've made the call back list. Do you have a Facebook, Twitter, and E-mail accounts? And cell phone number so I can contact you?".

"Here!".

And she grabbed her gold colored pen...and wrote everything down on her notebook computer that she carried with her.

*

I was amazed at her.

"Sounds to me that that you're prepared, Carolyn".

"Yes".

I peered at her black skirt.

"New?", I enquired.

"I got it at Macy's Department Store for $US29.99".

"It suits you".

"Toda raba!".

"Ein bin ma".

And she smiled...and left the office with a huge grin on her face.

 *

Jewish terms

Ani Mitzta'er-Hebew term for "I'm sorry".

Bubbe-Grandma

Ein be'ad  ma-"You're very welcome"

Klutz-A clumsy person; "A block of wood".

Shalom-"Deep peace"

Toda raba-"Thank you very much"

Zayde-Grandfather.

 Page 2.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Whole Truth By jaxharlow

Mystery / Thriller

432K 20.1K 52
Adele knows she witnessed a murder - what she doesn't know is just how personal it is. ...
93.6K 9.4K 27
Athulya Singhania has spent her entire life in solitude, yearning for the love of a family. Over the years, she mastered the art of concealing her em...
25.8K 115 19
Looking for possessive mafia romance books to read ? Well, then you no more needed to find. Guys if you turn my book next page then you will know th...
94.3K 1K 12
He laughed darkly,"you know what? Was this your plan? Make me fall in love and string me along?" "No Jacob i love you." I cried. "You don't love me...