Chapter One-The secretary

Picture of Jenna Shchert, one of the New York secretaries who spells trouble in 'My Secretary', right in the media section; and a 1950 B/W film called 'Office Etiquette', about how US secretaries behave, and the "DO'S and DON'T", when you're in the Office.

Warning: It is rated PG for sex references, adult themes.

You must be 13 years and over to see and hear it.

*

Lower Manhattan,

New York,

December 10, 2014,

7:31 AM.

*

The Office was expensive.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

It, for all sense and purposes, all paid for my Old Man's inheritence money. But I was happy with the Terms and Agreements that Mal Sfer, the Jewish lawyer, who oversaw his wealth. I stated my case; I got my money to start-up my own business...

...And everyone was happy.

*

You don't have to see my system of jobs that women came for.

They flirted; they preened; they showed their legs...

...They showed too much flesh; they showed off.

*

Because, in the old days of the late 40's and '50's, the office was a man's domain. They held the office like a King rules a Kingdom; they held to account what was, in my opinion, the sex appeal of the women who worked in the office.

In Grandpa's day, women worked at home; wives worked at home.

And no one clashed; no one.

*

"A man needs to do his work...without any distractions", Grandpa said. He was Jew who prayed in Isreal when he wasn't in his Lower Manhattan office; Grandma worked her way from the bottom to the top by being very strict with me...and my three sisters.

*

From the memories of the past week:

"Stop being a klutz".

"I'm not a klutz, bubbe".

"I won't let you disparage...".

"Ani Mitzta'er".

And she smiled...

...And we ate dinner together in the huge Dining Room in their Upper Manhattan apartment...and everything was back to normal.

*

Back to the present...

...Lower Manhattan...

...December 10, 2014...

...7:14 AM.

The office was crammed with a filing cabinet; mahogany drawers; a large boardroom table in the middle; two lamps to the left and right of me; framed pictures of my family members; blue colored curtains that swayed in the cold, New York weather; two stools that were used for correction purposes of secretaries; and soap to wash my hands with in the sink in the restrooms down the long, spacious hallway; and my name was in the middle of the room.

Written in bold letters was my name:

 NATHANIEL T. CARSON,

PRESIDENT OF CARSON OFFICE MANAGEMENT

I stared at the pictures of women who were in my I-phone 6.

All of them were out of New York college.

And their education was limited to basic computer use.

"Now...Ellen, can you use the Internet?", I asked.

"No", she answered.

"No. This is 2014...Not 1984".

"I'm sorry...but you're not ready for this job. Thank..."

"Stuff you!".

And she stormed off...and left me sighing.

*

By 8:02 AM, I drank my first coffee.

I wore a blue suit, black tie, brown trousers, and black belt. My brown hair was receding; my brown eyes glistened in the bright lights of the office; my face was lined.

I hope the next girl isn't psycho, I thought...

...as the aroma of the coffee took away the sourness of the bitter taste of losing more seceretaries than I could afford on my $US25,000 salary.

*

The second secretary was blonde, petite, and bloody sexy.

Her aqua colored blouse was loose; her slender legs was hot. Yet, she had had a flirty sense of fun to her that was attractive.

But this wasn't a dating office.

*

"Shalom. I'm Nathaniel Carson. Please take a seat, Miss...".

"Shalom!  I'm Carolyn Barher".

"The daughter of Michah Barher".

"He is always busy. And I have experience".

"Good. I want someone to use their notebook to write down times, dates, and so on for the year. Pay is $US15,000, plus car, gas, and living expenses to and from work".

"That's a lot of money".

"Yes, but it's necessary. I have a lot of interviews, Carolyn".

"Oh, I don't want...".

"It's fine. Because of your enthusiastic way of being professional during the job interview stage...you've made the call back list. Do you have a Facebook, Twitter, and E-mail accounts? And cell phone number so I can contact you?".

"Here!".

And she grabbed her gold colored pen...and wrote everything down on her notebook computer that she carried with her.

*

I was amazed at her.

"Sounds to me that that you're prepared, Carolyn".

"Yes".

I peered at her black skirt.

"New?", I enquired.

"I got it at Macy's Department Store for $US29.99".

"It suits you".

"Toda raba!".

"Ein bin ma".

And she smiled...and left the office with a huge grin on her face.

 *

Jewish terms

Ani Mitzta'er-Hebew term for "I'm sorry".

Bubbe-Grandma

Ein be'ad  ma-"You're very welcome"

Klutz-A clumsy person; "A block of wood".

Shalom-"Deep peace"

Toda raba-"Thank you very much"

Zayde-Grandfather.

 Page 2.