Trying Not To Love (COMPLETED)

By Books_and_nerds

I stepped forward and asked, "Where do you want me?" It took me a second to realize what I just said. Shit! I... More

Introduction ✅
Disclaimer ✅
Characters ✅
Chapter 1 ✅
Chapter 2 ✅
Chapter 3 ✅
Chapter 4 ✅
Chapter 5 ✅
Chapter 6 ✅
Chapter 7 ✅
Chapter 8 ✅
Chapter 9 ✅
Chapter 10 ✅
Chapter 11 ✅
Chapter 12 ✅
Chapter 13 ✅
Chapter 14 ✅
Chapter 15 ✅
Chapter 17 ✅
Chapter 18 ✅
Chapter 19 ✅
Chapter 20 ✅
Chapter 21 ✅
Chapter 22 ✅
Chapter 23 ✅
Chapter 24 ✅
Chapter 25 ✅
Chapter 26 ✅
Chapter 27 ✅
Chapter 28 ✅
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36

Chapter 16 ✅

121 24 0
By Books_and_nerds

Chapter Sixteen- Let's win then

"Where are you going, again?" Asked Alden, for the millionth time. He chewed the mouthful of fried chicken, his fingers greasy and I scrunched my nose when he licked them.

Linda was an amazing cook, there was no doubt in that. I was in love with her cooking but, tonight I couldn't manage to eat a single bite.

My stomach wasn't able to maintain even the food that I ate in the morning. Everything was somersaulting inside of me and I was afraid I was going to throw up.

Street racing was a huge deal for me and I'd been literally dying to do that for years. Alden street raced back in Minnesota around two years ago. I used to go with him and it was so much fun. But, he never let me drive, not that I knew how to drive that amazingly back then.

I rolled my eyes at him and licked my lips-- because I was anxious and I was lying to him. "Told you, I have a meet with Hannah, it's a club thing."

His eyes searched mine and I could tell he wasn't buying it.

"It's for credit. I want to up my GPA so I can score a good college in future." It was true. I joined the Hannah club only for that purpose.

He nodded, still assessing me. I gave him my wide eyed pout look and he laughed. "Fine. Be back before eleven."

I glanced at the watch, and it was eight thirty. It wouldn't take long to race three laps.

I nodded and leaned in to kiss him on the cheek, "See ya later."

I walked out of his room and down the stairs. My heart throbbing in my chest and I smiled when I saw Linda and Tabby chatting in the living room about who knows what.

They'd become close in couple of weeks. I was glad Tabby had someone to talk to except me. Don't get me wrong. I would always be there for her, but sometimes having an elder around helped.

I'd tried talking to her about Arnold and what I saw that day but, she brushed me off saying I saw wrong.

I had to get some proof so she would believe me before she goes out with him. Arnold didn't seem like a good guy from the start to me.

I took a deep breath, bringing my focus back to where it should've been all this time. On the race.

A warm fuzzy feeling settled in my stomach and I opened the front door only to come face to face grinning Jeanette-- who was about to ring the doorbell.

Shoot me now!

Did I forget she was coming over?

I furrowed my brows but smiled at her. "Hi."

"Hi yourself. Going somewhere?" Her eyes danced and shone with tease. "Perhaps on a date?" She wiggled her brows.

I choked on my breath and coughed, shaking my head. "No... I uh, I'm going to meet Hannah for this stupid club meet."

She grinned and nodded, eyeing me suspiciously. She wasn't convinced too. Great!

I'd worn the outfit I bought when Linda had taken us for shopping at the start of the school. I didn't want it as much as Tabby wanted it for me. So I got it.

It's a plain black dress. Square neck on the front and back. Fitted from shoulders to my stomach and then flared out-- not like a princess flare or anything, just normal. The hem was just above my knees, letting my bandages down there open for air.

I wasn't a heel girl and I meant it when I said that.

She chuckled, "Combat boots?"

I laughed, and nodded. "Way more comfortable."

I let her in and she hugged me.

"I don't want to hold you from your club meet. You go ahead. I was here for Alden anyway."

My horrified expressions must have given me away because she grabbed my hand and shook her head. "Not like that. I was struggling with an assignment in English and he offered to help. That's it."

Why didn't it sound convincing to me? But, then who was I to judge.

I nodded, smiling to let her know I believed her.

"I'll see you later."

We hugged again and I stepped out, letting the door shut behind me.

Cold air hit my skin, and made my hair sway. I woke up in the middle of the afternoon. I hadn't gotten a goodnight sleep in weeks. Either the stress about dad made me stay awake or the nightmares.

My hair were half clutched at the back of my head, rest of them loose.

I walked down the steps and sprinted out the driveway. I was right. There was nothing more comfortable than my combat boots. I strolled down the sidewalk, and when I rounded the corner, I noticed a car sitting in dark in silence.

My heart ceased in my chest, waiting to meet his eyes. Had I dressed up like I was going on a date? I didn't want him to get the wrong idea. I only had jeans and I couldn't wear them because whenever I had to bend my knee with it on, it hurt like bitch. I didn't own a single pair of shorts, because I didn't feel good showing my skin off-- considering what kind of places we have moved from, it was always good to tuck yourself with clothes.

A chilling breeze broke the air and I slowly trudged over to the car, hugging myself.

Maybe I shouldn't have worn the dress.

I took a deep breath and realized what scent filled the air.

It was going to rain. I looked up and indeed, bleak fluffy clouds had taken over the once clear sky.

I opened the passenger side door and saw him finally look up from his phone. Slipping down on the seat, I shut the door and dared a glance at him.

His hair were settled nicely on his head, not so much messy, and still short on the side and long at the top. His eyes drilling hot holes in my skin. Heating every inch of me. I forgot how to breath when I felt his intense gaze move over me like brush of cold fingers. My face, my chest, my legs...

I felt tingles and goosebumps everywhere.

He had worn a grey button down with sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He had paired it with black ripped jeans and ankle length dark brown boots.

He definitely had thought about what to wear. But, to me he'd always looked gorgeous no matter what he wore.

Which... wasn't right!

"What the fuck are you wearing?!!" His eyes narrowing on my dress.

Great! He didn't think I looked date material or even good for that matter.

I was both happy and hurt with that revelation.

But, his eyes had a shade of unknown darkness that made me stop from yelling at him.

"I couldn't wear jeans. My knees still hurts." His eyes skimmed over my wounds and the softness slowly overtook the hardness.

He sighed and nodded, and without a word he started the engine.

For most of the ride, I kept my eyes glued to the window and leaned my head against the cold glass. I watched everything whiz past us and tried to ignore the ache I felt in me.

Why couldn't he be nice to me? For once? Just once. . .

I took out my phone and saw missed text from Elliot.

*Sorry I just saw the text. And to answer your question, I don't think I would ever chose anything over food.*

My phone buzzed and I smiled reading his text. It was so easy to talk to him. He was the only uncomplicated person in my life right now.

*I'm free next Sunday. You wanna come over?*

I bit my lip, thinking about it. Elliot asked me to have dinner with him. Obviously, it couldn't be a date but, it had been long that we had hung out together. I wanted to say yes but, what about Alden?

I took a breath and texted,

*Can I let you know?*

A second later it buzzed again, *Sure ;)*

A jerk stop of the car, snapped me out of my dilemma. My hand shot to the dashboard in front of me for support and I realized this road was half broken and muddy because dust blew around us.

I glared at Easton, "A heads-up would've been nice."

He raised a brow at me and smirked. "You should have kept your on eyes on the road."

I stared at him in disbelief. "You're the one driving not me."

"So? Does that give you the permission to be careless?"

Oh my god!!!

I balled my hands and shook my head.

I sucked in a breath and opened my eyes when I heard loud chatter coming from ahead. I knew we had reached.

Cars and bikes had taken up most of the space leaving none for us. Easton parked his car around the corner and climbed off.

I opened my door and jumped out, crying that I didn't see the mud down there before.

I cringed taking out my foot from under the disgusting wet mud, wincing and cursing. And crying for my boots. My boots!

A laughter made my heart skip a beat and I looked up to see the sight I'd never witnessed.

Laughing Easton.

Miracle!!!

I wanted to yell but, then it would've stopped him. So I just admired him from afar, I memorized the stretch of his lips, his gorgeous dimple, his deep velvety voice, his red face... damn!

I would dump my feet over and over in the mud if it would make him laugh like that.

He must have notice the silence and my smile because he stopped but, kept a smirk.

I shut the door behind me and tried to walk but I stumbled. His arm shot out and wrapped around me, yet again saving me from a fall.

His cologne filled my lungs and I shivered all the way down to my toes.

"Here." He slowly stepped away and grabbed my hand. Interlacing his fingers with mine, and making me swoon over the way our hands fit, he walked with me on tow.

For him it maybe wasn't anything. But, me... I'd never held any guy's hand like this in my life. To me, it meant way more than he could ever understand.

I shut my eyes, talking to my heart, 'Oh dear heart, you're in way big trouble than I thought'

His grip on my hand tightened and I looked around the parted crowd, all eyes gawking at us. He must be really good at this for everyone to know him. Girls scowled and guys winked at me. I squeezed his hand, realizing what I did a second later but instantly relaxed when he squeezed back.

I glanced up, ignoring everyone else, and sucked in a breath when I saw his hardened jaw, a nerve ticking their like time-bomb.

"My man of the night is finally here!" A bald guy with silver and gold chains dangling around his neck, walked up to us and gave Easton a hug.

"Venice." He made sure his voice was nowhere near pleasant.

He was as tall as Easton, had a lip ring and pierced ears. But I could tell that he was near our age or a little older. His tattooed muscled arms told another story just like his haunting eyes.

"And who are you beautiful?" He extended his hand to me and I was about to place mine when Easton stepped between us, pulling me behind me. "None of your business." He growled.

Venice looked safe to me. Why was he being suck a jerk?

He threw his hands up and laughed. "Possessive much?"

I wanted to see the reaction on Easton's face but couldn't. "Can we get back to race? I'm not here to chat."

I rolled my eyes and passed Venice a smile from behind Easton. The moment Venice's ocean blue eyes met mine and he smiled back, Easton turned his head and caught me.

His eyes shot daggers at me and I rolled my eyes at him.

"C'mon. Let's get you two warmed up."

Easton's big and perfect hand never left mine and when I stepped beside him, I thought he would let go, but he didn't.

"You aren't driving your car?"

He shook his head.

"Soo?" I prompted. Why was he so awful at conversations?

We stood at the start of a pretty wide, endlessly dark and deserted road. Two cars stood on the start line and we walked towards it. Crowd was parted on either side of the road, hollering two names out loud.

Easton and Lee.

The whole area was illuminated with headlights of the cars parked around the other way of the road.

I took a deep breath and opened my eyes to meet Turquoise ones. "You okay?" He let his other hand brush against my cheek. "You're pale."

I bit my lip and looked around. There were so many people.

He let go of my hand and brought it up to my other cheek. Making me look in his eyes, he smiled. "We can do this. Okay?"

We...

"Say it again." I had whispered, without realizing.

His dimple broke free and I smiled. "We can do this."

The freaking rush of adrenalin which I felt in my veins, made me nod. "Let's win then."

He grinned and tucked me closer, as we walked towards the cars.

Venice was already waiting there for us. I jumped in my spot and drooled over myself.

On my right was gorgeous orange and white Mazda MX-5 Miata. And on my left stood, Black Mitsubishi 3000GT.

"Can we choose?" I asked, unable to stop smiling.

Easton nodded. "Because I won the last game, I get to choose."

I rushed over to Mazda without giving it another thought.

"We're so winning." I touched the sightly warm hood of the beauty and shivered.

"Are you sure? I think we should take Mitsubishi." He asked, his eyes bouncing from me to that car and back to Mazda.

I sighed and walked to him. "Have you driven Mazda before?"

He shrugged "Not really?"

I smiled. "Trust me, people underestimate this beauty. If you want to win. Take this."

Venice came around me and nodded at Easton. "Damn you man! Where have you been hiding your girl all this time?"

My cheeks flushed and I looked away, embarrassed.

"She's not my girlfriend." And just like every time, his words stabbed me in the heart.

"Ohhh..." Venice turned to me and kept staring until Easton shoved him. "But, she's off limits."

He smirked, backing away. "If you say so."

He winced at me and disappeared giving us fifteen minutes to get ready.

I crossed my arms over my chest and stared at him. "Off limits? Seriously? Now you want to behave like a big brother?"

He rolled his eyes and grabbed my elbow, pulling me closer. "No. And I'm not giving you any explanation." As usual.

He glanced at the car. "Shall we?"

I nodded, vigorously, making him give me that dimpled smile again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179K 5.7K 81
His hands cold, his eyes dark holding something that no one knows. A dark aura on him that makes people stay away. He's a loner, everyone avoids him...
83.6K 1.2K 31
Enemies to lovers❤️ Imagine if your worst enemy would move in RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HOUSE? This book about Grayson and Isabella will tell you how she ex...
316K 11.6K 45
"We said whoever eats the most pizza has to do the dare no matter how cruel or easy it is." This is just a glimpse of our sleepovers. Ivy and Autumn...
1.4M 32.2K 44
The Wattpad draft! Not the final version. I rolled my eyes and smiled, "Never had a one-night stand," "A one-night stand huh?" he smirked, "And what...