A Love Worth Having

By caffrey1974

Saryah Williams finally has her dream job as a social worker for the military. During a visit home, she meets... More

Epilogue
Chapter 1 - Crazy Life
Chapter 3 - A Hero's Welcome
Chapter 4 - First Impressions
Chapter 5 - Meeting
Chapter 6 -Surprises
Chapter 7 - A Friendship Begins
Chapter 8 - Quick Run
Chapter 9 - Pinkie Promise
Chapter 10 - Thinking and Thanking
Chapter 11 - Between Friends
Chapter 12 - Excitement
Chapter 13 - Bad becomes Worse
Chapter 14 - Facing the Past
Chapter 15 - Truth and Adversity
Chapter 16 - Going
Chapter 17 - Plans
Chapter 18 - Joey
Chapter 19 - Wedding
Chapter 20 - Part I - Fear of the Unknown
Chapter 20 - Part II - It's See You, Not Goodbye!
Chapter 21 - Feels like Forever
Chapter 22 - Turning Point
Chapter 23 - Getting ready
Chapter 24 - Recovery
Chapter 25 - Homeward Bound
Chapter 26 - Back in Your Arms Again!
Chapter 27 - Epilogue II

Chapter 2 - What it Really Means

8.2K 285 12
By caffrey1974

Maura sat with her beautiful family enjoying her enchiladas and tortilla chips with queso sauce. Mike was enjoying the story Saryah was finishing about their fourth grade field trip fiasco. After laughing for nearly five solid minutes, the group quieted down again.

Saryah’s face turned serious; too serious, if you asked Maura. “So, Mom, what exactly did the doctor say and what’s the next step? I’m not just here to visit, you know. I’m here to help you get on your way to recovery.”

Obviously, from Sonya’s expression, she knew everything already, but she amazingly kept quiet and let Mom do the talking for a change.

“Well, more tests to start. The first test that came back just said that it was abnormal. Then they did another test, confirming growth. After that they checked to see if it was benign or malignant. It was malignant, meaning harmful. Now I have options. They’re fairly certain that it was caught early. That’s the biggest key. You two make sure you get your check-ups. Every doctor is different. Some say every year, others every two to three unless you have a reason to have one sooner. Make sure you’re taking the time to take care of yourselves. Lord knows, you’re both worth it. Any who... now I can do several things: surgery, chemo, radiation, or some crazy combination of the three. I meet with an oncologist late next week to further discuss, and come up with a plan for, my treatment.”

Saryah wordlessly stood, walked around the table, and hugged her mom fiercely. Maura could feel the tears wetting her shirt from her daughter’s sadness.

“I’m really going to be okay, baby...”

“How can you say that, Mom? Can... cance... I can’t even say it! It could kill you! I don’t wanna live without my Moms, ya know? How are you so ... calm?”

“It isn’t me! I have been wrestling with fear since they first suspected, but here’s my secret. I know who’s in control. I know what He’s done for me and what he will do for me. Cancer can’t take me from His love. So, why should I be afraid? Even if he calls me home...”

“NO! Mom! Don’t even go there. Don’t. You’re not gonna die.” Saryah interrupted.

Mom just put her hand up, smiled, and waited for her daughter to settle down so she could finish.

“Saryah... leaving here would only mean being with Him. This is a temporary home, not my forever body. To be dead here is to be Present with Him. How could we want anything less?”

“Because, Mom, you need to be here with us... with ME! We’re praying for healing... not dying... right?”

She cupped her daughter’s cheeks, tears streaming down her own as well. “Either way, God will come through. There is nothing but victory when He’s my conqueror, defender, and healer! I love you, but don’t be over dramatic. We have time, and right now, I want to spend it with you girls. Come here, Sonya.”

Sonya rose hesitantly, not wanting to encroach on the moment Saryah and Mom were having. “I love you girls both so much. No matter what happens, you hear me? No ... Matter ... What ... I will always love you and it won’t ever change.”

“We know, Mom!” The girls said in unison.

Not wanting him to feel left out, Maura signaled Mike to come join them.

“Group hug!” Mike sang in a sing-song voice. He squeezed them all harder than he meant to, but this was the closest to family he’d had in a very long time.

“Now, let’s finish eating. We have somewhere else to go.” Saryah announced, getting gasps and hmm’s from the others at the table.

“Like where, sis?” Sonya wondered, knowing full well her sister wouldn’t divulge any information.

“You’ll just have to wait and see, I guess.”  Saryah retorted, laughing with a false mischief just to taunt her sister.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the movie and ice cream, they decided to go dancing.

Maura, exhausted, begged out. “I just need to go rest. Can you drop me off first?”

“Yeah, Mom. Do you want me to come home with you? We can chat for a bit, give these two some alone time, etc. Besides, I really want to be able to talk and stuff. You two okay with that?”

Sonya and Mike seemed to already be in their own little world. “Oh, yeah, we can do that. We’ll drop y’all off and head on over to River Walk.” Mike circled his arms around Sonya’s waist and kissed the top of her head. He was considerably taller, which made the sight of them together funny to Saryah.

The ride home was silent. At Maura’s house, they got out, waved goodbye and went inside.

“I’ll put some coffee on, Ma... want any?”

Maura sat in her chair and heaved a contented sigh. “Sure, baby girl. Thanks.” She was so happy to have both of the girls near her.

Saryah brought in some more cookies along with the coffee. Not very hungry, she took a moment to decide if she really wanted them. She couldn’t resist her mom’s homemade cookies.

“So, how’s the job going, baby girl?” Maura started off.

“You know, Mom, it is wonderful. We have our moments, don’t get me wrong there, but for the most part, it’s a great place to work. The kids are my favorites, and I love helping the soldiers get used to being with their families again. You know, it can be so heartbreaking sometimes.”

“How so?”

These guys, and sometimes ladies, come back from combat, and that’s an adjustment in itself. But, if someone’s seriously injured, they get flown to a hospital, usually in Germany, but there are others. The injured soldier can spend months, and some are there more than a year, recovering and healing. At the hospital, there are all kinds of helps like psychologists, occupational, speech and physical therapists, etc. The list is quite extensive. Once they get home, not only do they have to readjust to living with loved ones, but their loved ones have never lived with a handicapped person. Sometimes, it’s P.T.S.D. and that can get violent. The nightmares don’t go away just because he’s home. The terrors, memories: it’s all there, and the families don’t know how to deal with it. That’s where I come in. People automatically think of a “social worker” as someone who’s there to watch over them. That’s not the case. We want everyone to feel secure, and learn to live together again. I’ve seen so many families become well-adjusted and happy. My favorites are the families with special needs kids. They are so sweet and loving, and they have such an open perception of life. I wish we could see it their way sometimes. Life would be simpler on so many levels. Sorry. You got me talking about my job, and I run away with it.”

“That’s Okay, Saryah. I love hearing about it. It does me good to see you happy and fulfilled in your work. Not enough people are happy in their chosen careers. You have a rare treat. Did you know one of our own hometown boys was injured in Afghanistan? He’s returning, oh let’s see: tomorrow. There’s a big party for him at the community center. You should come.”

“I dunno, Mom. I came to be with you and get some things straightened out for you. Who is it anyway?”

“It was in the paper. I think I’m the only person on the planet who still likes newsprint.” Maura gave a mirthful laugh as she picked the paper up. “It’s Staff Sergeant Ben Campbell.”

Maura smiled. She’d met him left while he was on leave visiting his parents. She might’ve been secretly matchmaking, but she wouldn’t tell Saryah. Maura had become very good friends with the Campbell family Vince and Paula were the epitome of grace and friendship. They went to the same church and were active in the small community. They’d moved to Paxton after Saryah had gone off to college, so she’d never met them, or Ben.

“I’m going with or without you, Sare... the Campbell’s are good friends of mine, and Ben is a great guy. I’m proud of him and so happy he’s made it back alive. He was one of several in an attack, and some of his buddies went home in a box. Think about it, baby girl. I’ve gotta get some sleep. I’m exhausted. I’m so glad you’re here.” She hugged Saryah. “It does your Moms good to have you with me. You know it, right?”

“Yeah, I know it, Mom. I’m sorry it’s been this long since I came home. You know it won’t be that long ever again!”

“I know it, baby. I know it. G’nite, baby. See ya in the morning.” They hugged again and she ambled up the stairs.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68K 3.9K 19
(EDITING) This is a Curvy Community Romance: #DISCLOSURE #CelebrateBlackStories #Community #Curvy #EyesLipsFierce After a life-changing experienc...
244 46 38
You're going fall in love as Cory & Tara return in this epic sequel that out paces the original story. Picking up the pieces from war or a shatter pa...
4.4M 214K 52
Mateo Sanchez is a wounded warrior. He's 22 years old and on the mend from the injuries he received in a battle that took his fellow Marine's life. H...
4.1K 169 23
**Open Flame Sequel** "Bravery isn't the absence of Fear, but courage in the face of Fear" In a career with one of the highest suicide rates in the c...