Birds of a Feather

By archi05

Arranged marriage was an age-old story that Khushi, the youngest of the infamous Gupta family, who revolution... More

Chapter 1: Chaos
Chapter 2: Deserted
Chapter 3: Alien
Chapter 4: Hide-and-Seek
Chapter 5: Unsurprised
Chapter 6: Denial
Chapter 7: Anger
Chapter 8: Invitation
Chapter 9: Cursed
Chapter 10: Value
Chapter 11: Exposed
Chapter 12: Compromise
Chapter 13: Reason
Chapter 14: Conditions
Chapter 15: Destiny
Chapter 16: Blue-Blooded
Chapter 17: Intern
Chapter 18: Paranoia
Chapter 19: Walk
Chapter 20: Bond
Chapter 21: Expert
Chapter 22: Appearances
Chapter 23: Choice
Chapter 24: Bed
Chapter 25: Victim
Chapter 26: Low-key
Chapter 27: Bargaining
Chapter 28: Depression
Chapter 29: Price
Chapter 30: Faith
Chapter 31: Time
Chapter 32: Pawn
Chapter 33: Apology
Chapter 34: Omelette
Chapter 35: Lost
Chapter 36: A-Okay
Chapter 37: Lion
Chapter 38: Allowed
Chapter 39: Riant
Chapter 40: Known
Chapter 41: Influenza
Chapter 43: First
Chapter 44: Accident
Chapter 45: Heir
Chapter 46: Royalty
Chapter 47: Love
Chapter 48: Acceptance
Chapter 49: Thank-You
Chapter 50: Wife
Chapter 51: Fine-Print
Chapter 52: Better
Chapter 53: Side
Chapter 54: Señorita
Chapter 55: Tied
Chapter 56: Promise
Chapter 57: Impasse
Chapter 58: Owner
Chapter 59: Experience
Chapter 60: Trust
Chapter 61: Keyes
Chapter 62: Immeasurable
Chapter 63: Rebound
Chapter 64: Forgiveness
Chapter 65: Home
Chapter 66: Second
Chapter 67: Daughter
Chapter 68: Incomplete
Chapter 69: Promise
Chapter 70: Arnav-Khushi
Author's Note
Epilogue

Chapter 42: Holi

10.2K 772 113
By archi05

(Scroll down for the Raizada family tree if you need a refresher!)
________________________

"Sona, can you please give these files to Dr. Durga? And tell her to message me when the patient in room 112 wakes up."

"Yes yes Dr. Gupta, now go and enjoy Holi! You are not supposed to be working today."

Khushi snorted. "Holi can wait."

The nurse simply shook her head in exasperation.

It was indeed Holi today and instead of preparing for it in the Raizada Mansion along with the rest of her in-laws, Khushi had snuck into the hospital at the break of dawn, determined to put in some hours before the celebrations began. She had already lost a week of working –thanks to her stupid Influenza infection– there was no way she could afford to miss any more days.

The hospital, of course, was bustling with activity as per usual. In fact, they were expecting a higher than usual amount of cases that day. They called it the "Holi madness". If it wasn't for her mother-in-law's annual Holi party, Khushi might have been working too. It was no secret that she thrived in emergencies.

Not that she was complaining though. Holi under her father's regime had been utterly boring, involving nothing but a prayer and perhaps a cocktail party where colours were completely absent (they weren't classy enough for the Gupta family). And so, Khushi had grown up not really understanding what the hype was around this festival.

However, this year, it was different. She knew by now that Arnav's family did nothing normal as per her father's traditions, so it was given that their Holi celebrations would be fun. And maybe, just maybe, she will understand why everyone went a little crazy on this one day.

"Khushi? I didn't know you were working today!"

Khushi let out a sigh, having no trouble recognizing the excited voice. So much for getting in and out of the hospital undetected, she thought drily, turning around to meet Ved – incidentally for the first time after their Nainital trip.

"Woah," Ved said, catching sight of her face.

Khushi instinctively touched her cheeks; was her makeup by accident? "What's wrong?"

"You look... beautiful."

Khushi beamed.

Being grounded at home for the past week had given her ample amount of time to figure out what to wear for the party. So instead of throwing on the first item she found in her closet as per habit, this time she did her research (and also a little online shopping), settling for an a-line ivory maxi skirt paired with a denim crop top embellished with pearls. It was so different from her usual outfits –mainly formal kurtis at the hospital or embroidered palazzo suits with her in-laws– that she had hesitated for the tiniest of seconds while getting ready that morning.

Her reluctance didn't last for long, however. Her life had changed so much in the last few months that she didn't see why her wardrobe couldn't be updated too. And her hard work seemed to pay off.

Well... almost. Arnav was yet to see her –he had been fast asleep when she left that morning– and for some reason she couldn't really pinpoint, his judgement mattered the most to her.

"Thank you," she told Ved, who couldn't seem to keep his eyes off her. "Now please stop looking at me like a buffoon."

He blinked. "Sorry... but hey, it's a compliment. Whose heart are you planning to stop today?"

She rolled her eyes. "I'm late for a Holi party."

He pouted. "Why am I not invited?"

"Because you're working... someone has to rescue all the drunk people."

"Will you be one of them?"

"I don't drink Ved."

He sighed. "Ease up a little Khushi... please have fun, at least on behalf of all the doctors on duty today."

She laughed. "Sure... I have to get going though, see you tomorrow."

"Wait!"

Khushi paused.

"Why have you been ignoring my messages?"

"Because they were annoying," she replied, unabashed. "You messaged me every hour all of last week asking how I was feeling. That's a little obsessive and frankly, unhealthy."

He rubbed the back of his head sheepishly, reminding her unbelievably of Arnav. "Sorry... I was worried."

"I was in good hands."

"Sure sure... but I was messaging to see when it would be an appropriate time to drop by your house."

She narrowed her eyes. "Why did you want to come to my house?"

Ved dug into his pockets and withdrew a small jewelry box. "Happy Holi," he wished in answer, holding it out for her.

Panic arose alarmingly fast in Khushi at that. Was it norm to exchange gifts during Holi? Because if it was, Arnav was sure to get her one and she was going to look very insensitive for forgetting.

"Open it," Ved urged with a grin.

She hesitantly took the box and opened it to find a delicate rose gold necklace inside with a stethoscope shaped locked through which looped a glittering heart. There was no denying it: it was beautiful.

"This is gorgeous Ved," Khushi murmured. "Now I feel very bad for not getting you anything."

He shrugged. "Nahh don't worry about... I saw this in a store, and you were the first person I thought of."

"That's so sweet... thank you."

"Should I put it on?"

She shook her head for there was no guarantee how wild the Raizada cousins were going to get.

"No, it's okay. I don't want it to get ruined during holi..."

Ved shuffled his feet in answer. "Oh."

"But I love it," she promised. "You're such a gem!"

He smiled. "Don't get all senti on me... go have fun at your party."

She laughed and bid him goodbye, tucking the jewelry box safely away in her handbag.

By the time Khushi arrived at the Raizada Mansion, the Holi party was raving. Clouds of colours streaked the air as Balam Pichkari played deafeningly in the background. People swarmed all over the perfectly kept lawns –her mother-in-law would probably faint when assessing the damage done to them tomorrow– while servants rushed to keep the food and drinks stocked. Judging by the number of people smiling and waving at her as she made her way inside, most of the guests seemed to be compromised of the Raizada family itself.

Khushi was sorely reminded of her brother, who, if present, would have taken great pleasure in drenching her with colours. Vihaan had politely declined her invitation to attend the event a few days ago, saying he had some urgent matters to take care of and that he would explain in person over coffee next week. Khushi didn't press for too many details, deciding that she would worry about him when the time came and not in advance.

"There you are Bhabhi! About time!"

Khushi turned to find Samriddhi and Mitali running towards her, both almost unrecognizable being covered from head to toe in a mélange of Holi colours. The two girls were about to give her a hug, when they suddenly stopped and leaned back.

"Sorry," Mitali said. "Don't want to ruin your pretty dress."

Khushi rolled her eyes and stopped an attendant passing by holding trays of colours. Grabbing a magenta pink colour, she smeared both Mitali and Sam's cheeks with a wide grin, saying, "Happy Holi!"

To her surprise, neither of the girls retaliated. They simply smiled and said in unison, "Happy Holi!"

Khushi was stumped. She was pretty sure applying colours on each other was a thing. So, why weren't they applying colour on her?

"Why don't you go inside and say hi to everyone?" Sam suggested, breaking the awkward silence.

"Isn't everyone playing Holi?" Khushi replied eyeing the crowd around them.

"She meant go say hi to Satya Aunty and the rest," Mitali explained. "And then come out and help us. We are losing against the boys!"

Khushi grinned. Of course, they picked a fight with the boys or perhaps only with Dev, the most mischievous of them all.

Promising to be back, Khushi stepped inside the mansion, which –surprisingly– held none of the chaos of the outside. Her mother-in-law was seated with two other ladies in the living room, both of who held strikingly similar features as her. Khushi recognized them as Satya's younger sisters.

"Oh Khushi," Satya greeted upon spotting her. "Come come... was just going to call you!"

Khushi smiled, an inexplicable warmth spreading through her. After talking to Satya that day in the penthouse, she found the last of her hesitance disappear. Her mother-in-law may never compensate for the loss of her mother, but she still came pretty close. And that was good enough for her.

So bending down and touching her feet in blessing, she said cheerfully, "Happy Holi Maa!"

Satya pulled her into a hug instead. "No formalities Betiya."

"In that case," she replied, grabbing a fistful of red colour lying innocently on the coffee table and liberally covering Satya's cheeks with it. "Bura na mano, Holi hai!" (Translation: Don't mind, it's Holi!)

Satya's sisters burst out laughing. "Nicely done Khushi," one of them said.

Satya, who appeared a little horrified at first, grinned. "Happy Holi to you too, always remain happy!"

And to Khushi's astonishment, she only took a pinch of the same red colour and dotted her forehead with it where the bindi usually went. And to make matters even more mysterious, both of Satya's sisters did the exact same when Khushi took their blessings and applied colour on their cheeks.

What was going on, Khushi wondered utterly confused.

"I invited Alokji too," Satya said, as though nothing was amiss. "But he said he was busy, I hope he didn't feel bad–"

Khushi shook her head. She knew her father wouldn't come. "No, it's not your fault... After Maa's accident, he prefers to spend all the holidays alone."

Pity covered Satya's eyes. "I still sent some sweets over though," she said. "Chote made them."

Khushi's heart quickened. "Really? W-where is he?"

"In the kitchen," Satya's youngest sister, Sanvi, answered. "Why else do you think we are sitting here so bored? Arnav kicked us all out... apparently we are taking the day off."

That sounded a lot like him.

Smiling, Khushi had just excused herself and began to head to the kitchen when there was a scuffling of feet and in came NK and Dev, both completely covered in colours and both looking like they were direly escaping from someone. They skidded to a halt upon catching their mothers' disappointed faces.

To Khushi's great surprise, Lavanya came running in after them. She too froze upon seeing Satya and very tactfully tucked her hands behind her back and said, "Oh hi Khushi... about time you came."

Khushi raised an eyebrow. Lavanya –always so prim and proper– looked almost comical with her hair awry and her face splattered completely with indigo blue pigment.

It was Satya's middle sister –Sneha– who spoke, a look of utter disapproval on her face.

"What did I tell you all about keeping the house clean?!"

"It's okay, they're kids," Satya chided her sister. "Let them have fun!"

"Exactly Maa, stop freaking out," NK said jumping in. And then giving Khushi a wink, he added, "Hey Bhabhi!"

Sneha narrowed her eyes. "Is that how you wish your Bhabhi?"

NK held his ears in mock apology. "Sorry sorry," he said, before coming forward and touching Khushi's feet. "Happy Holi Bhabhi!"

Khushi smiled, feeling a little odd at being asked for blessings. Then taking the same red pigment she smeared on Satya, she ran her hands all over NK's face as though giving him a massage. "Happy Holi Devarji," she said with a giggle.

Lavanya chortled at the sight and gave Khushi a thumbs up in approval. NK bit his lip, and simply turned away, like everyone else not throwing anything on her in vengeance. It was quite amusing watching him resist the urge to colour her face, but definitely not as amusing as watching Dev, who also came forward to touch Khushi's feet and appeared almost mutilated when she polished his face with the red pigment. But like NK, he too didn't retaliate.

Had they all taken some kind of vow not to touch me, Khushi wondered to herself. Deciding that Arnav would know what's going on, she silently slipped away from the hall and into the kitchen.

"Is this how appetizers should be served HP?!" came Arnav's voice.

Khushi stopped at the kitchen entrance, taking in the sight in front of her. Dressed in faded jeans and a crisp plain white shirt, Arnav was engrossed in managing five people, all –it appeared– in charge of making a specific dish. He inspected their strokes as they made jalebis, supervised the drinks they mixed and instructed every tray they took out to serve. It was there, as she watched him so in control of the room, that she realized how good he must have been as a restaurant owner.

Maybe he gave up his passion a bit too quickly.

"Why are you standing here? Go inside na!" said a giggling voice.

Arnav's eyes snapped up at the interruption –none other than Mitali and Sam wearing identical smug looks standing behind her– and locked onto Khushi's. And although he maintained his calm posture, she could tell he was taken aback to see her dressed so differently. And after a few moments of complete silence which to her felt only like an instant, a small smile, probably invisible to his watching family, touched the corners of his mouth.

Khushi couldn't hold his gaze anymore, for a strange kind of anxiety gripped her, so she blinked and instead turned around to face the two girls.

"Err, I'll come back later – Arnav is busy," she mumbled.

"Khushi!" Arnav called.

Muttering instructions to the cooks, he was by her side in an instant. "When did you come?" he asked.

"Just now," she replied, noticing that not even a speck of colour covered him.

"Ahem," Sam said, clearing her throat and holding up a tray of rose coloured pigment.

Arnav rolled his eyes. "Oh, so am I allowed to play Holi now?" he asked, exasperated.

"So they were acting weird with you too?" Khushi confirmed, throwing weary looks at the girls.

"Okay stop whining," Mitali intervened. "It's your first Holi."

Arnav was confused. "How is this my–"

"It's your first Holi after marriage," Sam clarified. "And we thought it's only fair if Bhabhi puts colour on you first and vice versa."

Understanding finally dawned to Khushi. She had to hand it to them, it was a good plan and not to mention a sweet one. No wonder the whole family was waiting for her to come from the hospital.

"So go on," Mitali urged when neither Arnav or Khushi moved.

"Mitu seriously," Arnav said with a sigh. "This is childish."

The girls disagreed. "Of course not," Mitali answered. "The first Holi is always special!"

Khushi crossed her arms. "Forget it na Mitu," she said, haughtily. "Arnav wouldn't dare to put colour on me."

She was pretty sure she heard Arnav's mouth hit the floor in response. Khushi didn't know what made her say it, only that it would push him to forget his hesitance. Besides, didn't he have full rights to put colour on her first?

Sam chuckled. "Oh, now I get it!"

"You really don't want to do this Khushi," Arnav warned, recovering from his shock.

"See?" Khushi told the girls with a smirk. "He's scared already."

And then out of nowhere, Arnav's hands clasped the pink coloured powder Sam was holding in a tray and threw it in full force towards Khushi. She ducked, missing being hit by a mere few hairs.

"It won't be that easy Mr. Chef!" Khushi baited with a giggle.

And before he could try again, she ran without a backward glance.

__________________________

A/N: I KNOW I shouldn't have ended it there, but you will understand why I did in the next chapter (which will be posted on Monday night, EST).

Thank you for all of the wonderful comments to the last chapter... really appreciate all your love and support ❤️❤️❤️

Ved might be getting on everyone's nerves, but trust me, he is not a kabab mein haddi, I promise. I'm not a fan of clichéd stories 😂😂😂 Like all other side characters, he is simply there to move the story along.

Please vote & comment!

Stay safe and strong everyone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.1K 1.4K 14
Nine months before ROTS, Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, alongside the Jedi Council, they received a mysterious holocron of the future. A certai...
52.8K 2.3K 5
"If you are reading this story on any other platform other than Wattpad you are very likely to be at risk of a malware attack. If you wish to read th...
117K 3.9K 26
Siddhant marry the girl of elders choice and end up marrying uneducated girl. Let's see how Roli take her place inside his heart
182K 3.8K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...