What Deceit Looks Like | ✓

By lau_matthews

Cassidy Jane Edison. Las Vegas native. Con artist. Twenty-five. Ridiculously poor. Takes goods from people. M... More

author's note
epigraph
01: cassidy
02: cassidy
03: cassidy
04: maddox
05: cassidy
07: cassidy
08: maddox
09: cassidy
10: cassidy
11: cassidy
12: Maddox
13: cassidy
14: cassidy
15: cassidy
16: maddox
17: cassidy
18: cassidy
19: cassidy
20: maddox
21: cassidy
22: cassidy
23: cassidy
24: maddox
25: cassidy
26: cassidy
27: cassidy
28: cassidy
29: maddox
30: cassidy
31: cassidy
32: maddox
33: cassidy
34: cassidy
35: cassidy
epilogue
Book four!

06: cassidy

1.3K 79 4
By lau_matthews

 I am actually bat shit crazy if I think tonight is going to go well. I feel like I'm playing fucking Cinderella in this dress but the only difference is that I get to keep my dress at the end of tonight. Tomorrow is when I go back to my jeans and t-shirts at the bar while the dress gets stuffed in the back of the closet where I know that Noah won't find it because he could care less about clothes.

Until it comes to a con. Then it becomes all about the appearance but tonight he isn't home. I'd be lying if I said I missed him today but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't want to see him.

Confusing, right?

"Miss, are you going to get out of the car? The meter is still running and I think you'd much rather go inside than sit there any longer," The taxi driver suggests and I smooth my hair down one more time.

Deep breath in, exhale slowly. "Sorry sir, here you go. Thanks again."

"Have fun tonight," He replies after taking my cash and I open the door almost run over by the scent of the street thanks to the restaurant I'm about to eat in. In this dress, I feel like I'm in the right place.

Maddox is pacing in front of the steps leading up to the entrance but stops when he sees me and a smile immediately forms on our faces. "Wow and I thought you looked good last time I saw you in the dress," He compliments giving me a once over and I roll my eyes that are adorned with dramatic smoky makeup to compliment the dress.

"It was only a few hours ago," I reason and he shrugs continuing to smile after offering me his arm which I hesitantly take.

"If I'm being honest, there was a part of me that didn't think you were going to come, but I'm glad that you did." His bluntness surprises me as we walk into the restaurant but I don't get the chance to respond because we're greeted by the hostess. "Table for two under the name Benson?"

"Please follow me right this way Mr. Benson," She smiles politely and it's interesting to me that she doesn't bat a second glance at him because even I have to admit that he looks good. It's hard not to stare at him.

The restaurant is filled with people and I do my best not to make eye contact with any of them based on the off-hand chance that I've already met them.

This was a bad fucking idea.

"Cass you need to breathe or you're going to pass out," He murmurs and it's only after he's pointed it out that I realize I've been holding my breath. It doesn't even register in my mind that he called me Cass instead of Cassidy.

I take a second to close my eyes letting Maddox blindly lead me, 'CJ pull your shit together or he's going to find out who you really are.'

I'm not sure how Maddox did it with such little notice but we are being seated at the back of the restaurant with flickering candles at every table in the corner out of prying eyes which I could not be more thankful for. "I know you're going to think I'm just being polite but you look beautiful," He compliments and a smile forms on my face.

It's nice being told that. The only thing that Noah had said to me before he left tonight was to inform me to not wait up for him. I try not to think about what he's off doing.

I'd be lying if I said that the attention wasn't nice. "Thanks, Maddox, you look pretty good yourself."

He smiles back at me, "It does so happen on occasion that I can clean up nicely."

The scoff escapes my mouth before I could stop it, "You look nice every time I see you."

Maddox brushes me off and picks up his menu and I follow suit. The parts of me that are CJ are threatening to show through as my jaw nearly drops once I see the prices of the meals but then I think through the lenses of Cassidy and it all looks normal to me. Funny how a change in mindset can do that to someone.

"Do you know what you're going to get?" I ask trying to get an idea of the price range he's looking at.

"I always tell myself that I'm going to try new things but realistically I always end up getting a steak. Have you been here before?"

"No, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I have the habit of just returning to the same places over and over again," I admit breaking the eye contact he's made to look at the price of the steak.

A waiter approaches us smiling pleasantly, "Good evening Mr. Benson. Could I get you something to drink?"

Maddox sets his menu down, "Can I have a glass of chardonnay please?"

The waiter nods, "And for you, Miss?"

"I'll have the same please."

"I'll be right back with that," He states before walking away and I glance at the menu again feeling Maddox's eyes on me. It's so hard to read the menu and consider what sounds appetizing when I know he's looking at me.

Finally, I give in. "Why are you staring at me?" I ask bluntly and he just smiles at me.

"Because I can't figure you out. It's so refreshing not knowing everything about someone because here? Everyone knows everything about everyone, yet no one knows anything about you Cassidy. It makes this so much more interesting," Maddox answers honestly.

*********

One thing I had forgotten when agreeing to come with Maddox is that I wasn't actually on the guest list. My usual sneaking in through the kitchen wouldn't work here because how exactly do you explain, 'Hey I'll meet you inside while I go sneak in the back since I'm not actually one of you.'

It can't be explained because then he would realize what I am: a con artist taking advantage of him.

Thankfully, because I was with Maddox and he was so recognized in this world, we were just let right in which did nothing to soothe the rapid pounding of my heart because I'm not in the shadows. I'm under a fucking spotlight.

And then there are the reporters for the red carpet.

Goddamn, I really did not think this whole thing through at all. With Maddox's hand on the small of my back, thankfully this dress isn't open, he tells me jokes to pass the time. "What do you call a pig that does karate?"

I've honestly never been much of a joke teller and neither have Jupiter and Noah so I guess it should be relatively easy for me to guess, but I don't know. "Lean?"

He pauses for a moment before chuckling softly, "Wait, why would it be lean? The answer is pork chop."

"Because karate is a form of exercise so if the pig can do it, then wouldn't it be a lean pig?"

His hand drops as we reach a table, "I never thought about it that way but I like it. I also had them move your plate next to mine but I didn't know your last name and there were a few different Cassidy's hence why it just says 'Cassidy' on it."

This is dangerous, too dangerous. CJ you're going to get caught.

"Thanks, Maddox, smart thinking," I compliment and he smiles at me causing my heart to skip a beat.

"Well, who is this pretty lady?" A man I don't recognize asks and I watch Maddox's face become more forced. "I don't believe we've been acquainted," He says offering me his hand which I hesitantly take as he presses his lips against the back of my hand.

"I'm Cassidy."

"What do you want Dean?" Maddox asks tiredly and I wrack my head for all of the Dean's I know that have enough money to be at this.

He sets his empty drink down on the tray of a uniformed waitress walking around, "I'm not allowed to come say hello to my big brother?"

"You're supposed to be in Dubai for the internship Dad got you. Does he know you're here?"

Dean rolls his eyes, "Yes he knows and he doesn't care. However, I'm interested in this beautiful woman. She bears a striking resemblance to Paige, don't you think?"

Paige who? Not googling Maddox has gotten me into some deep shit because I don't know what the fuck is going on.

Maddox's blue eyes shift to meet mine and I see the same sadness from the night we danced but it's gone in a flash. "The only resemblance they share is the dark hair which accounts for seventy-five percent of the population." My dark hair isn't even natural. I'm a blonde that's a shade or two darker than Maddox's.

His hands go up in mock defense, "Sorry, I'm just surprised that's all." He said they were brothers but the only thing they have in common is the blue eyes and a slightly similar nose. Dean has brown curled hair that's completely different from Maddox's golden and Maddox has a few inches on him also. "Would you care to go get me another drink? I'm sure Cassidy wants one too," He suggests and Maddox glances over at me to which I shake my head.

I already had two glasses of wine at dinner and I need to keep as clear of a head at this point. "I'll be right back then." My eyebrows raise because I didn't think he would actually go but Maddox is full of surprises.

Dean is studying me when I look over at him, "So Cassidy, how did you meet Maddox?"

I meet his gaze strongly, "I tripped and he then spilled wine over me." He laughs showing a similar smile to Maddox's but he has something different about it. Maddox has this kindness and he just has this polar opposite vibe. "You guys are brothers?"

He nods, "Dear ole Dad had an affair with my mom while he was still married to Maddox's mom. You don't know about Paige, do you?"

"He'll tell me if he wants to," I say nonchalantly and he raises an eyebrow impressed by my answer.

"That's quite a dress, it looks as if it was made for you."

An arm slips around my waist, "I think I'd have to agree with you for once," Maddox says taking a sip from the drink in his hand that I had assumed was for Dean.

"Hey stop drinking my drink," Dean reaches for it and I try to hide my laugh by coughing lightly.

"You really thought I was going to go get you a drink? This is for me. You have working legs, get your own."

I have to admit that seeing Maddox as something other than as a nice guy bumps his attractiveness. "It was good talking to you Cass. I look forward to seeing you again," He winks at me and I can feel Maddox's hand squeeze tighter for a moment but as soon as Dean walks away, Maddox lets go of me. Clearly, it was only for the effect of getting Dean to back off.

"Your brother is an interesting character," I admit and Maddox scoffs.

"He's an entitled asshole," He says grimacing slightly as he takes another drink.

The fact that Maddox just called him that is hilarious to me and the laughter comes out of my mouth before I even have the chance to stop it. "You're not wrong."

"I'm sorry, it's a little complicated between us," Maddox admits and I set my hand on top of his.

I smile at him, "All family is complicated. You don't have to apologize for it."

And then it hits me how I haven't thought about Noah all night and I look away pulling my hand with me. What am I doing? I have the blank check and could get whatever money I wanted from him. I have no reason to be here.

"What just happened?" He asks and I step away from him creating some much-needed distance between us.

"Nothing happened."

He shakes his head, "No, something happened and you're pulling away from me. Was it something that Dean said?"

I take another step back just as someone else approaches us. "It's nothing, please excuse me for a moment."

"Maddox! Just the man I was looking for," Another man states happily as I turn away walking through the mixture of people to find a more secluded area where I can catch a breath. I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. This was supposed to be let's score a few bucks while taking a break from being CJ, but the more I learn about Maddox, the more I want to spend time with him.

This is why I distance myself from everyone because I know I'm starting to become attached to him. And that can't happen. For my sake, his sake, and Noah's sake.

I didn't plan on leaving but I'm so close to the exit when I'm stopped by my hand being grabbed causing me to teeter in my heels. "You're going to leave?"

I shake my head turning back to look at him, "I don't know what I'm doing."

He pulls me closer into him, "That makes two of us," Maddox admits leaning close to me. The alcohol on his breath is so subtle, nothing like Noah's breath that always smells strongly. His hand tilts my chin up forcing me to meet his brilliant blue eyes. "May I kiss you?"

And then I leap into an area of uncharted territory. "Yes."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 11.3K 29
★Featured in Official Paranormal and Supernatural | Ambassadors profile; Life after Death★ Blair Lightwood was a whimsical store owner, a store that...
2.6M 98.9K 34
'The asshole' is back! You first met him in Just Tell Me You Love Me. And now he's back. And so is she, Allyson Cassidy. Adam Murray fell in love wit...
82.3K 1.3K 13
Strict parents make rebellious teens. Jade Phillips wasn’t what everyone wanted her to be. She was supposed to be an honor roll student, polite, and...
790K 45K 39
#1 Mystery | #1 Thriller | #1 Young Adult Have you ever known someone more than you know yourself? Known them so inside out that you could finish th...