Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

Fate:

763 15 20
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Byleth:

"WAKE UP!" Sothis shouted, Byleth jumped out of bed startled by the sudden wake up call "Come on Byleth" she whined "I know you're tired from the ball and all but enough is enough" Sothis sighed.

"Alright I get it" Byleth said as she began to get ready for the day, she looked at her calendar. It was the 18th of the Ethereal Moon, there was one week roughly before her Father would return, she wondered what it was that he would tell her. Byleth sighed, not knowing frustrated her a great deal.

"I hate to interrupt your pity party" Sothis said "But did you see what else is this month?" she asked.

Byleth looked at her calendar, and there it was on the 20th of Ethereal Moon, Dimitri's birthday. "Oh crap" Byleth said, she didn't even know that it was approaching and Dimitri hadn't so much as hinted about it. Or maybe he did and she just didn't realize.

"So are you going to plan to do anything special?" Sothis asked.

"I don't know... what should I do?" Byleth asked Sothis.

"Hmmm, I do recall last time just the two of you went to town he wanted to go on a horse ride with you" Sothis said "Maybe something along the lines of that?" she suggested.

"Sothis you're a genius" Byleth said "And maybe a picnic afterwards" Byleth mumbled.

"There you go! I knew you'd think of something" Sothis said excitedly "But it seems you'll need to figure out how to ride a horse" she added.

"Shoot, you're right" Byleth sighed. For a brief moment she considered asking Sylvain to help teach her out; she could already see how he would implicate her asking in a sexual way, so Byleth decided asking him was out of the question. "Ferdinand, Know how to ride a horse!" Byleth said "I can ask him" she added, although she would have to hear his remarks about nobility but she figured it was a small price to pay.

"Hmm I suppose that would work" Sothis said, and with that Byleth took off to find Ferdinand.

Byleth finally found Ferdinand, he was in the knight's training hall. "Ferdinand" Byleth called out to him, he turned to her.

"Hello, Byleth" Ferdinand said with a smile "To what do I owe this honor?" he added.

"I have a favor to ask" Byleth said "I was wondering if you would help me learn to ride a horse" she asked.

Ferdinand looked at her shocked for a moment "In all honesty I am quite surprised you do not already know how to ride a horse" he said "But regardless, I Ferdinand Von Aegir would be honored to" he said proudly.

Byleth let out a small laugh "Thank you Ferdinand" she said "Is after class today ok for you?" Byleth asked.

"Yes that is perfect" Ferdinand said "I shall see you then" he added, Byleth nodded and began to turn away.

Byleth saw that Dimitri was heading to her "Byleth" Dimitri said as he approached her, she jumped a little at his call.

"Hello, Dimitri" Byleth said quickly, he glanced back at Ferdinand.

"A friend of yours?" he asked.

"Ah- kinda? I asked if he would help me with something" Byleth replied.

"Anything I can help with?" Dimitri asked.

Byleth thought about it for a moment but decided she wanted to surprise him with her newfound skill "Hmm... nope" she said.

Dimitri looked hurt for a moment but he quickly hid it "I see, so shall we head to class?" he asked with a small smile.

Byleth felt bad that it had hurt his feelings to some degree but she wanted to surprise him, "Yes, we wouldn't want to be late" she said.

Dimitri:

Dimitri and Byleth were making their way to the Blue Lions classroom, they were discussing Captain Jeralt's return and how he'd aid them on their mission. Dimitri wasn't really paying much attention to either of them were saying he just wondered what Byleth had asked Ferdinand for help in. "Dimitri?" Byleth said, calling his attention back.

"Yes, sorry I zoned out for a moment" Dimitri said while rubbing the back of his neck.

"No worries" Byleth said with a small smile, Dimitri loved seeing her smile. They were rare to see most of the time but as they grew closer he began to see them more often. "Anyway, I was asking if you had plans on the 20th of this month?" she asked him.

Dimitri thought about it for a moment "The 20th?" he mumbled, why did the date sound so familiar, then it hit him. That was his birthday, how could I have forgotten he thought to himself, "No, I don't have plans for that day" he replied, Dimitri wondered if she knew. He looked into her eyes, yup she knew.

"Would you like to accompany me for the day?" Byleth asked, Dimitri wondered what she was planning.

Dimitri's face turned a light shade of pink, he knew they had both confessed feelings for one another but being around her still flustered him. "I would love to," Dimitri said, "Anything particular in mind?" he asked.

"Hmm..." Byleth said, he was certain she already knew what she was going to do.

"She's toying with me" Dimitri thought to himself, he grew excited at the thought of spending the day with her.

"I Have a few ideas," Byleth said, and left it at that.

The two of them entered the class, took their seats and waited for the lecture to begin.

The lecture began and all Dimitri could think about what Byleth was planning for the day, a thought crept into his mind, what if she was planning to sleep with him. Dimitri felt his face grow hot from the thought, he looked at her sitting next to him. Byleth was completely absorbed with what their professor was saying, he wondered what was going through that head of hers.

After a while the lecture was finally finished Dimitri turned to Byleth "Do you want to go to the dining hall with me?" he asked, as she was gathering her things.

"I can't right now" Byleth sighed "I need to take care of something right now" she said as she got up to leave "I'll see you later", and with that Byleth left.

Dimitri saw Sylvain approaching him "You know Dimitri you seem to be close to Byleth these days" Sylvain said, staring at him with squinting eyes. He didn't give Dimitri time to respond to it "Come on" he sighed "Let's go to my room for this talk" he added. Dimitri nodded and followed Sylvain to his room.

As soon as they entered Sylvain's room, he closed the door behind him and locked it. "So Dimitri, how long did you intend to keep this secret" Sylvain asked, his eyes full of curiosity.

Dimitri let out a small laugh "This is precisely why I didn't want to tell you Sylvain" he said.

"Touché" Sylvain said with a chuckle, "So how did it happen?" he asked.

Dimitri proceeded to tell Sylvain how he kissed her and confessed to her after the Battle of the Eagle and Lion. Sylvain sat on his bed mouth agape "How the hell did you manage to do that, a few moons ago you could hardly hold a conversation with her without getting flustered" he said while shaking his head in disbelief.

Dimitri's face turned red, he realized he was going to have to tell Sylvain about what had happened when he had taken Byleth out to eat at the neighboring town, and so he told Sylvain that as well.

"Wait, you slept with her?!" Sylvain shouted.

Dimitri's brows furrowed "No nothing like that, we just fell asleep in the same bed" he explained.

"Jesh, Dimitri you work fast" Sylvain said with a laugh "... So you two haven't-"

"No we haven't" Dimitri said, cutting Sylvain's question off.

"Dimitri you are helpless" Sylvain sighed "So what's your game plan?" he asked "Wife her up and take her to Fhirdiad?" he added with a laugh. "Dimitri, I hope that is not your game plan because I'm fairly certain her Father will end you if you even attempt that '' he said sternly.

"Captain Jeralt and I get along just fine thank you very much" Dimitri rebutted.

"You befriended her dad?" Sylvain sighed and rolled his eyes "You know what, honestly that doesn't even surprise me of course you befriended her dad" he added with a laugh.

"Hey, I befriended him before I intended to do anything with his daughter," Dimitri protested.

"Dimitri you intended to do something with Byleth the moment you met her you liar" Sylvain joked. He paused for a moment "You know I bet taking those two would piss the church off" Sylvain said "Lady Rhea seems... particularly fond of Byleth'' he added.

"I know" Dimitri sighed "But it's not like Rhea could keep either of them against their will, if Byleth chooses to come to Fhirdiad" he added.

Sylvain nodded "So have you asked her?" he asked.

"Well I asked for her to come to Faerghus once our time at the academy is up" Dimitri said.

"Do you think she knows what you meant when you asked that?" Sylvain said.

Dimitri sighed "I doubt it" he sighed "I wasn't entirely forward with the reasoning behind it" Dimitri mumbled.

"So what you were just going to take her to Fhirdiad, and just throw it on her that she's there to be your Queen?" Sylvain shouted while shaking his head.

"I would have told her before that," Dimitri mumbled, Sylvain just shook his head.

After a while of talking with Sylvain about it Dimitri retreated to his room. Dimitri sat on his bed, he tried to ignore his Father who was staring at him with a deep scowl on his face "Dimitri" Lambert said harshly, causing Dimitri to flinch at it. "Stop wasting your time with your childish romance" he scolded "you have other matters to attend to, we need our justice" he hissed.

"She doesn't want to be your Queen" Glenn hissed "No woman would want to" he added "Stop trying to defile her, focus on us" Glenn shouted at him "Pathetic, to think we died for you" he spat.

Dimitri spent the rest of his night listening to the verbal berating that came from the ghosts of his loved ones.

Then days couldn't have passed by any slower, although he was only really waiting a day until his surprise would be revealed. Dimitri got up from his desk, there was a soft knock on the door. "That's odd" he thought to himself "It's still so early", he opened the door and there stood Byleth.

"Hello, Dimitri" Byleth said, she looked up at him and then her face looked worried. Byleth cupped one of his cheeks with her hand "Dimitri have you gotten any sleep?" she asked while rubbing his cheek with her thumb.

"No need to worry, Byleth" Dimitri said "I just woke up earlier than expected to today" he added. she didn't seem to buy his excuse, her concern was still present on her face.

"If you need sleep I can wait till a day that you won't be exhausted" Byleth said softly.

"There is no need" Dimitri said quickly, he grabbed her hand that was holding his cheek and held it within his hands. "I have been anticipating what it is that you have planned for today," Dimitri said with a small laugh.

Byleth sighed "Alright then" she said "Follow me" she added, and Dimitri followed behind her. Byleth led him to the stables, there he saw two horses ready to go. "Would you like to go for a ride Dimitri?" Byleth asked, and Dimitri smiled at her.

"I would love to, but I could have sworn you told me you didn't know how to ride a horse" Dimitri said with a laugh.

"I didn't" Byleth replied "But I learned how to, that's what I asked Ferdinand for help on the other day" she added.

"Oh, I see" Dimitri said with a laugh, he felt a little stupid now for getting worked up about what it was she had asked him. "Well shall we get going?" he asked.

"Yes" Byleth said "But first" she said and leaned her head up and pressed a soft kiss to his lips. "Ok now we should go" Byleth said as she pulled away.

The both of them got on the horses and began to ride around the wooded areas around the monastery. "So, I'm curious you Father excels in riding, how come he never taught you?" Dimitri asked as he slowed down his horse's pace to ride beside Byleth.

"Hmm... I'm not entirely sure why he didn't, but then again I never showed an interest in it" Byleth replied, "When were you taught how to ride?" she asked.

"As a child, I used to love going for rides with my Father, or Rodrigue when he would visit," Dimitri said with a smile.

Byleth smiled at him "This way Dimitri" she said and began to guide him towards a stream that was nearby. They tied their horses to a nearby tree , then sat at the bank of the stream. Byleth closed her eyes and took a deep breath "It's peaceful here" she said softly

"I agree," Dimitri said while nodding.

The two of them sat in silence for a few minutes before Byleth spoke up "So why have you not been sleeping lately?" she asked.

Dimitri hesitated for a moment, "Don't tell her about us" Glenn hissed "She'll leave you" he added.

"Better yet tell her, let her know what a monster you are Dimitri" Lambert said "then you can focus on us" he shouted.

"Dimitri?" Byleth said softly, she was now in front of him, her face had a look of worry.

Dimitri hesitated, he knew he'd have to tell her eventually but he didn't expect today to be the day, he sighed. "Byleth" Dimitri whispered "I... hear these voices" he said.

"Voices?" Byleth asked "Of who?" she added.

"My Father, step-Mother, and Glenn" Dimitri whispered "They haunt me day and night, they want me to avenge their deaths" he added.

Byleth was quiet for a moment "See she's afraid of you now" Glenn hissed.

"Dimitri from what you told me about them, I'd like to believe that they wouldn't try to send you down that dark path" Byleth said softly "Nonetheless, I believe you about it" she said "Is there anything that will ease their torment on you?" Byleth asked.

Dimitri let out a sigh "No, they only ask for one thing" he said "And that's the head of their killer" he added. "I know how this must sound" Dimitri said with a dry laugh "You must think I'm mad" he sighed and gazed at the floor.

"No, I don't" Byleth said "I think that you have been through something traumatic, and this is your way of coping" she added "Everyone has a different way of dealing with these things, Dimitri" she said softly.

"Thank you Byleth" Dimitri said with a weak smile "Knowing that you understand is most reassuring" he added.

Byleth smiled at him and sat down besides him, she patted her lap "You should rest for a bit". Dimitri complied and rested his head on her lap, he felt her fingers trailing along his scalp. "Yesterday I heard Lady Rhea singing a song late at night, and it helped me fall asleep" Byleth said "Would you like me to sing it to you?" Byleth asked.

"Yes, that would be great," Dimitri replied.

"In time's flow... see the glow of flames ever burning bright..." Byleth began to sing "On the swift river's drift, broken memories alight..." she sang, her fingers still dancing around in his hair. Dimitri felt himself start to drift off, as he fell asleep he heard Byleth telling him something but he couldn't quite make out what she was saying.

Byleth:

"Are you stupid!" Sothis scolded "What if Dimitri had heard you?" she shouted "You can't just go around telling people that you have a second person in your head" she added.

"That's what he told me" Byleth rebutted.

"No he told you that the ghost of his dead loved ones haunt him" Sothis said "Not that there is another conciseness inhabiting his head" she added. Sothis sighed "It's not that I don't trust the Prince, but it's just too risky to tell someone else" she said "Not until we know more about what I am" Sothis concluded.

"You're right" Byleth sighed "I just wanted to help Dimitri, so he wouldn't think he was crazy" she added.

"I know" Sothis said "But I don't think telling him that would have changed him in any way" she said "His pain is deep Byleth, it will take time" Sothis added, Byleth just sighed. Byleth sat there with Dimitri asleep on her lap for a while then he began to stir in his sleep. Dimitri was saying something incoherent and then began whimpering.

Byleth realized she was going to have to wake him up, "Dimitri" she said softly while nudging at one of his shoulders. Dimitri opened his eyes, Byleth saw there were tears forming at the corners of his eyes.

Dimitri quickly sat up "I'm sorry you had to see that" he mumbled.

"It's alright Dimitri," Byleth said as she attempted to pull him into comfort, but Dimitri pushed her aside.

"I don't need you to coax me like I'm some child" Dimitri snapped.

Byleth stood up and began heading to the horses "You're right" she said as she got on her horse.

"Byleth, wait I'm sorry" Dimitri began to say but Byleth rode off back to Garreg Mach.

Once Byleth returned to the stable she saw Marianne and Hilda, "Hey Byleth" Hilda shouted, as Byleth finished returning the horse. Once done she went over to them "Hello Hilda, Hello Marianne" Byleth said.

"Hello" Marianne said softly "Was Dorte good with you?" she asked.

"Yes, he was quite excellent," Byleth said with a small smile, she desperately wanted to leave this area since she knew Dimitri wouldn't have been that far behind her. "Well I'll be going now" she said as she began to walk away.

"Wait Byleth" Hilda said "Wanna spend the night in my room today?" she asked "A few students from the Golden Deer are coming to play cards later in the day" she said "But only Marianne and Lysithea are sleeping over" she added. "Well what do you say?!" Hilda asked.

"Ok, I'll be there" Byleth said "But I really have to go now" she said "I'll see you both later" she added then took off.

Byleth managed to avoid Dimitri the rest of the day, and once night fell she began to make her way to Hilda's room. Once in Hilda's room Byleth sat down next to the others, she looked around and saw Claude, Ignatz, Lysithea, Marianne, and Raphael. Hilda's room was big but not big enough to hold seven people.

"Hilda, I think we need to rethink the location" Claude declared.

Hilda sighed "I agree" she said.

"Why not the common rooms?" Byleth suggested.

Both Claude and Hilda shouted no in union, Byleth just looked at them dumbfounded by it. Hilda rubbed her forehead "If we do it there Lorenz might show up" she said.

"Yeah, and we're trying to have fun" Claude laughed. "We can try the reception hall, at some of the tables in there" he suggested "I doubt Lorenz will be near there especially at this hour".

"Perfect!" Hilda shouted "Now come on everyone, grab the snacks and let's move out!" she added.

Before Hilda opened the door Claude grabbed the handle "Remember be quiet everyone, the less people know the better" he said the swung the door open hard enough that it banged on the wall.

"Way to go for being discrete" Lysithea said while trying to stifle a laugh.

"Hush" Claude said as he began to guide them to their destination , he paused for a moment "Hurry back to Hilda's room quickly, I hear people coming" he hissed.

"Uh- Claude?" Raphael said "The door is locked" he added.

"Quick the key Hilda" Claude shouted, Hilda scurried over to the door trying to open it.

"What are you guys up to?" Byleth realized that it was Felix, but he wasn't alone; he had Dimitri and Sylvain with him.

"Would you believe me if I said a study session?" Claude said with a laugh, Felix narrowed his eyes at him. Byleth took this as an opportunity to slip behind Raphael so they wouldn't see her.

"Tch, as if" Felix said.

"Aw come on, would I lie" Claude said with a wink "Just ask Lysithea here, she does nothing but study" he added.

"Leave me out of this Claude" Lysithea said in a warning tone.

"Fine" Claude sighed "But if we were up to trouble would we have Byleth with us" he added, he turned to look for her approval in the matter, Byleth sighed she should have known she'd get found out.

"Claude's right, we aren't doing anything bad," Byleth said, while Claude was behind her nodding like he'd just won this round.

"Guys we are in Lorenz territory" Hilda warned "Let's hurry and go" she added, Claude nodded.

"Look if you don't believe us, then join us"Claude said "If not go to your rooms already" he added and continued onward. Byleth and the others followed, and so did Dimitri, Felix, and Sylvain. The three of them walked besides Byleth.

"So Byleth..." Sylvain said "Where exactly are we going?" he asked.

"The reception hall," Byleth said.

"Huh ok, why there?" Sylvain asked.

Hilda turned around to answer him "Because we are trying to avoid Lorenz" she said with a dramatic sigh.

"Yeah, also there were too many people for us to be in Hilda's room" Byleth said.

"So what exactly were you guys planning to do?" Felix asked.

"We were going to play cards," Byleth replied.

"No we weren't" Claude said "Our initial plans were to initiate Byleth into the Golden Deer class but it seems that we've been stopped, this time" Claude said with a laugh "Curse you" he shouted.

Once they reached the reception hall Claude guided them to a table "Alright, the card game we will be playing this fine evening will be..." Claude said "B.S." he added.

"How do you play it?" Dimitri asked.

"Of course the boar doesn't know how to play" Felix said while shaking his head.

"Hey, ease up Felix," Sylvain warned.

"Alright so the rules to the game are you have to put a card down every turn, even if you don't have that card" Claude began "But if someone calls B.S. on you, and they are right you have to take the stack of cards but if the person who called B.S. was wrong then they take the cards" he said "Got it?" he asked.

"Yes, I get it," Dimitri said.

"Good, now let's get started" Claude said, and began distributing the cards.

(A few minutes later)

"Byleth, stop calling B.S, look at how many cards you have" Hilda groaned.

"Hush, it's my strategy" Byleth rebutted with a laugh.

"Yeah, a strategy to lose" Felix scoffed, and Byleth glared at him. "I think we need to re-think Byleth as our class tactician" he added with a small laugh.

"Hey, Byleth you can always be the Golden Deer's tactician" Claude suggested.

"Hmm, a tempting offer Claude" Byleth mumbled.

"You'll join us one day" Claude said with a wink "Call it a hunch" he added.

"Tsk, as if anyone would go willingly into that class" Felix said "Last I checked we recruited one of your own" he added while gesturing to Lysithea.

"Felix" Dimitri said in a warning tone.

"Your words wound me, Felix" Claude said with a laugh.

Once finished with the game, the group decided to turn in for the evening. Dimitri was lingering around Byleth, Byleth sighed then turned to him "What Dimitri?" she said.

Dimitri looked at her nervously "May I walk you to your room?" he asked "There is something I wish to discuss with you" he added.

"Sorry, Dimitri" Byleth said "But I'm not heading there tonight" she added, Claude came up from behind her.

"Yeah, she's sleeping over in my room tonight" Claude said with a wink.

"Funny Claude" Byleth said while shaking her head "No, I was invited to stay the night in Hilda's room" she said.

"Oh, I see" Dimitri said "Would you mind sparing me a moment in that case?" he asked.

"Sure" Byleth sighed and followed Dimitri outside away from the others.

The two stood in an awkward silence for a few moments, "Byleth I'm sorry if I scared you" Dimitri said breaking the silence.

"Dimitri, you didn't scare me" she retorted.

Dimitri looked down, "Does it frighten you what I told you before?" he asked hesitantly.

Byleth sighed "No Dimitri, I left because you snapped at me for wanting to help you" she said "Not because I think you're a monster" she added. "You don't frighten me, Dimitri," Byleth said softly, as she pulled him into a hug.

"I'm sorry Byleth" Dimitri mumbled into her shoulder "I shouldn't have yelled at you earlier" he added.

"It's alright Dimitri" Byleth said softly, while stroking his hair.

They stood there for a few minutes "Dimitri?" Byleth murmured, and he pulled away.

"Yes?" he said.

"I've been thinking about what you asked me in the Goddess Tower" Byleth said softly, Dimitri looked surprised for a moment. "I think I've made my decision," she added.

"You have?" Dimitri asked softly

"Byleth come on already!" Hilda shouted "We've been waiting" she groaned.

"We'll talk about it another time" Byleth said "Good night Dimitri" she added and pressed a quick kiss on his cheek. Byleth was about to turn away but paused "Happy Birthday, Dimitri" she said and then continued on to go with Hilda.

Byleth heard the soft snores of her friends "So Byleth" Sothis began "You really intend to go with the Prince to his home land?" she asked.

"I do," Byleth replied.

"Do you know why he's asking you there?" Sothis asked.

"Because of my experience as a mercenary" Byleth said "Dimitri said it when we first met, Faerghus is in dire need of warriors" she added.

"You're so naive" Sothis sighed "Do you really not know?" she added.

"Know what?" Byleth asked.

"Think about why he might want you to go" Sothis said "He's told you in the Goddess tower that he wanted you to stay by his side forever" she added. "Do you not understand what he means by that?!" Sothis asked.

Byleth felt her face growing hot "Surely Dimitri didn't mean it that way" she replied to Sothis.

"Give me a break, the boy has been infatuated by you since you met him" Sothis said "You are helpless" she sighed.

Byleth laid awake for a while longer thinking over what Sothis had told her, "Surely Dimitri didn't intend for her to go with him to become his wife, right?" she thought to herself.

(26th, Ethereal Moon)

Byleth was waiting by the Entrance hall, her Father was supposed to be here soon. "Are you nervous about what he has to say?" Sothis asked.

"Of course" Byleth responded "He's always kept me in the dark about it and now I'm finally going to know about my past" she added.

"I suppose that's true"Sothis said "... Jesh what's taking him so long" she added.

"Captain? Captain! Where are you?" A voice shouted Byleth looked and saw Alois "Hey, Byleth. Have you seen your old man?" Alois asked.

Byleth shook her head "No sorry, I'm waiting for him as well" she said.

"Too bad. I guess it will have to be you, you then..." Alois said, and Jeralt barged into the Entrance hall.

"I'm back. Sorry for the delay, my last mission took longer than expected" Jeralt said as he approached Alois and Byleth.

"Captain! Thank goodness you're here. There are reports of Demonic Beasts near the chapel!" Alois shouted.

"Nonsense, I haven't heard anything about the monastery's walls being breached" Jeralt said.

"That's why I'm heading there now, to see what's really going on. You'll join as well, won't you?" Alois said.

"Of course, We're both sworn to protect this place" Jeralt said.

"Where did they come from?" Byleth asked.

"It's odd... just before they appeared, someone saw a number of students heading towards the chapel" Alois said "They were apparently acting strange, as though they weren't in their right minds" he added, "Shortly afterward, Demonic Beasts started to appear, one after another" he said.

"Are the students safe?" Byleth asked.

"Hm... The students... There's no way those Demonic Beasts got in from the outside..." Jeralt said, he let out a frustrated sigh. "None of that matters right now. We need to act, Go summon your class" Jeralt commanded, Byleth nodded "Damn it... I wanted to talk to you about something important, but there's no time. There's never any damn time" Jeralt said "But this is much more urgent, so it can hold for now. I'll meet you there" he sighed. Byleth left to search for her fellow classmates.

Byleth found them all scattered throughout the monastery, once they were all gathered they began on their way to the chapel. Byleth was towards the back of the group, she saw Dimitri falling back to with her.

"Are you alright?" Dimitri asked as he got to Byleth's side "Normally, you're very difficult to read but today it seems that something is bothering you" he added with concern.

Byleth hesitated for a moment, "It's just... inopportune, us having to do this mission right now" she sighed.

"Why is that?" Dimitri asked.

"My Father just returned, and there is something we have been needing to discuss" Byleth said.

Dimitri's face turned red "Is it about us?" he said softly.

Byleth shook her head "No, it's a personal matter" she sighed "I don't even know what it is yet, My Father told me he'd tell me once he returned" she added.

"Hmm... I see" Dimitri said "Do you have any idea what it is about?" he asked.

"I've got a general idea, but I get the feeling there is more to it than he's letting on" Byleth mumbled.

Once they arrived at the chapel Byleth saw her Father, he turned to her "There really are Demonic Beasts here... They're emerging from the chapel!" Jeralt shouted, " I'll head that way. The rest of you, protect the students who weren't able to get away" he yelled to Byleth and her classmates.

Byleth looked around and saw that there were three students left in the area, and that each of them were being blocked in by a Demonic Beast. "Shit" Byleth thought to herself, this is most definitely going to be a difficult battle.

Byleth was helping her Father Jeralt defeat one of the Demonic Beasts that was blocking the main path, and once it was defeated it turned into a student. "The Demonic Beasts were actually students?" Jeralt said in shock "How can this be..." he added.

(After the Battle)

Byleth and Jeralt rushed over to the chapel, although there wasn't much of it left. Jeralt sighed "There isn't a trace of evidence to be found in the chapel" he said frustrated "This must have something to do with Remire. Perhaps..." Jeralt said.

"Wait!" a voice called out Byleth looked and saw that it was that girl that was rescued alongside Flayn.

"Huh? Another student?" Jeralt said, then turned to go and see what she wanted.

Byleth heard that girl telling her Father what had happened and how she was so scared. "Run along now" Jeralt told her.

"Thanks for all your help sir!" Monica said as she began to skip away, once she got a little past Jeralt she turned around and pulled out a blade, stabbing him "You're just a pathetic old man" she said, Byleth was in shock over what she had just seen. "How dare you get in the way of my brilliant plan... you dog" Monica shouted as Jeralt slumped forward.

Everything froze, and a purple light covered the area."No" Byleth thought "He's not dying here". Byleth reversed time back.

"Run along now," Jeralt said to Monica.

"Thanks for all your help sir!" Monica said as she began skipping away, Byleth unsheathed the sword of the creator and sent an attack at her, but her save was thwarted by Dark mage who showed up in time to protect Monica.

Byleth saw the knife go into Jeralt once again and him slouching forward as she withdrew the blade. "Huh? What are you doing here?" Monica said once she'd seen the mage.

"You must survive" the mage said to Monica "Merely because there is still a role that I require you to fulfill" he said to her as he warped them away.

Byleth dropped the Sword of The Creator and came running to Jeralt, she turned him over "Sorry..." Jeralt coughed "It looks like... I'm going to have to leave you now" he said softly. Byleth felt the tears coming from her eyes, Jeralt looked up at her as they fell on his face, he let out a small laugh. "To think that the first time I saw you cry..." Jeralt said "Your tears would be for me" he whispered "It's sad and yet... I'm happy for it" he groaned. "Thank you... kid" were the last words to leave Jeralts mouth. Byleth sat there numbly, as she wept for her Father

"No" Byleth shouted, she knew what had to be done. The rain drops stopped falling on Byleth, she was going to keep doing it until she could save him. Each time it was the same thing, her Father thanking her.

Byleth felt her power was drained, what was this the seventh time she'd seen him die? she lost track. That didn't matter; she needed to save him.

"Byleth stop" Sothis pleaded with her, "He cannot be saved, it's fate" she added.

"Screw fate" Byleth retorted, and time froze once again.

"Run along now" Jeralt said to Monica, and Byleth came running at her screaming. The mage showed up once again to save Monica and warp away. but this time Monica wasn't as precise with her stab, due to Byleth screaming no doubt. Byleth looked at the wound; this was the best chance she had to save him.

"Annette, Lysithea, Mercedes!" Byleth shouted as she began using her own healing magic to save Jeralt.

"Sorry..." Jeralt coughed "It looks like... I'm going to have to leave you now" he said.

"No please" Byleth cried, she heard footsteps running towards her.

"Captain Jeralt!" Mercedes shouted, as she fell to the floor and began using her own healing magic to save Jeralt, "Annette, Lysithea, come now" Mercedes yelled.

Both of them came and began aiding the effort, Jeralt looked to Byleth "To think that the first time I saw you cry..." Jeralt said "Your tears would be for me" he whispered "It's sad and yet... I'm happy for it" he groaned.

"Dad, no please" Byleth cried.

Byleth's head was growing heavy, she felt herself slipping away "Thank you... kid" Was the last thing she heard Jeralt say before she fell unconscious.

"What were you thinking, Byleth!" Sothis shouted "Are you really that dense" she added "What good is it for you to die as well?" she hissed.

"I'm sorry Sothis" Byleth murmured "I just couldn't let him die" she added.

"I get that Byleth but you could have died as well, what if Monica or Solon saw how weak you'd become after using Divine pulse so many times" Sothis scolded "They would have slaughtered you in an instance" she added.

"I know Sothis" Byleth responded "... Do you know if he survived?" Byleth asked hesitantly.

Sothis let out a sigh "I know as much as you, we'll find out once you regain consciousness" she said.

It felt like an eternity before Byleth finally regained her consciousness, and like someone had kicked her repeatedly in the head she looked around and saw she was in the infirmary, and that her Father was on the bed across from her. Byleth attempted to get up to see him but two hands pressed her back onto the bed "Byleth, don't move yet" she looked up and saw Dimitri, she wondered how she hadn't even seen him.

"Is he alive?" Byleth said, her voice was hoarse.

Dimitri brushed some hair out of her face "Yes, he's alive" Dimitri said hesitantly and drew a weak smile.

"What's wrong? Is he not ok?" Byleth said worriedly.

Dimitri was about to say something but Professor Manuela walked in and cut him off "Hang on Dimitri" she said "Let me check Byleth before you tell her anything" she added. Manuela began inspecting Byleth, making sure it would be fine to release her. "Do you feel any pain?" Manuela asked.

"My head hurts," Byleth replied.

"That is expected, you used a lot of magic, honestly I'm not quite certain how you managed to do that " Manuela said "But regardless, you should be fine" she added.

"Is my Dad ok?" Byleth asked, she could feel the tears burning in her eyes, and tension in the room grew.

"Um- about Jeralt, I'm uncertain" Manuela said.

"What do you mean uncertain?" Byleth said while trying to maintain her composure.

"There is a good chance he won't wake up" Manuela said "I'm sorry, Byleth" she said.

"What?" That was all Byleth could muster, she felt Dimitri wrap his arms around her shoulder.

"Honestly, he should have died at the chapel" Manuela said "But you girls managed to save him from the brink of death" she added. "The rest is up to Jeralt," Manuela said softly.

"I see" was all Byleth managed to say.

"Dimitri, please go and alert Lady Rhea, that Byleth has woken up" Manuela said.

Dimitri looked like he was about to protest, "Dimitri, I'll be fine" Byleth said.

Dimitri nodded, letting her go from his grip "I'll be back" he said looking Byleth in the eyes, she just nodded.

"Young love, how refreshing" Manuela said "Ah perhaps now isn't the time for that, my apologies" she added. "Byleth, I won't lie to you" Manuela began "You need to prepare yourself for the worst case scenario" she added.

"I know, thank you professor Manuela," Byleth said, Byleth got up to leave "I'll be next door if anything happens" she said before exiting the infirmary.

Byleth entered his office, "So this is where your Father lived..." Sothis said "Hm? are you still crying?" she asked softly "If turning back the hands of time was not enough to save his life, you must accept what comes to pass as fate" she said.

"It isn't fate" Byleth retorted.

"Control yourself. Though Jeralt's death might be at the hands of wicked ones, a fate is still a fate" Sothis said, "Oh! Your Father said to look for something here. He must have been referring to whatever is behind that bookcase there..." she said.

Byleth went over to the bookcase and moved it to grab what Sothis was talking about. "Your Father's diary... Huh, his handwriting is prettier than his face would suggest" Sothis said "Well, well! These entries here are from before your birth. He seems to have been writing this for quite some time" she said.

Byleth and Sothis read through Jeralts diary, in there he wrote about a baby that didn't laugh or cry and when he took the baby to see a doctor in secret and it didn't have a heartbeat. With this in mind Jeralt realized that the church must be planning something, so when the opportunity arose to fake the child's death he took it and fled.

"Well now! That baby must be you! That means... Hm? Someone is approaching us" Sothis said. Byleth turned around and saw Edelgard entering the room.

"Byleth... You've been crying" Edelgard said in shock, "So even you cry sometimes. Oh... I suppose that was rather thoughtless of me to say" she said.

"It's fine," Byleth said.

Edelgard looked at her frustrated "Byleth you're so blinded by grief that you can't see what is going on right in front of you" Edelgard said "Are you waiting for time to heal your wounds?" She scolded "Or have you curled up in a corner and lost the will to carry on?" she asked.

"Does it matter?" Byleth replied.

"It does, you've lost yourself" Edelgard said with a scowl on her face "Only you can truly understand your own sadness" she added "Others can sympathize or even empathize, but all anyone else can offer are the tears of an outsider looking in" she said. "So I have no intention of crying for you, or standing still with you" Edelgard said "All I can do is reach out my hand when the time comes for me to move forward" she said.

"What do you mean?" Byleth asked.

"The mysterious organization that was carrying out experiments in Remire Village and the chapel..." Edelgard began "They're up to something near Garreg Mach" she added "When they are caught, which they will be" she said. "Will you be able to lead your class into battle? Or will you sit here with no thought for the future that is fast approaching?" Edelgard asked.

"That's enough Edelgard" Dimitri said as he entered into Jeralt's office. Both Byleth and Edelgard looked at him in surprise, Dimitri look furious. "That's the talk of arrogance, to deny someone their grief because in your eyes it's viewed as a weakness" he snapped.

"Dimitri stop" Byleth said.

Dimitri paused for a moment to calm himself down, "Leave Edelgard" he hissed.

"Gladly" Edelgard retorted, before she left she turned to Byleth. "Byleth... there is a choice to be made. I hope you make the right one" she said before leaving.

Dimitri shook his head, he came up to Byleth and wrapped her in a tight hug "I'm sorry" he muttered apologetically. After a few minutes Dimitri pulled away "Lady Rhea is looking for you, Byleth '' he said "After your audience, why don't you join me in the dining hall? You haven't eaten since... since it happened. have you?" he asked "Forgive me... I suppose it's too soon to try and coax you back into the normal swing of things'' he said. "As for what happened to Jeralt... I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I couldn't do anything to stop it" Dimitri said sadly, he paused for a moment "Stay here until you've found peace, I'll cover for you with Lady Rhea and everyone else" he added.

"Thank you" Byleth sighed.

"We'll be waiting for you whenever you're ready to return to us" Dimitri said, he sighed "I don't believe it's a sign of strength to just keep moving forward no matter what" he said softly "Taking time to grieve for those we've lost... There's strength in that too. That's what I think, anyway" he added. "That said... It's also important to remember that no matter how sad you are, eventually your tears will dry up" Dimitri began "That's when you have to figure out what it is you're living for. Then you can cling to that, with all your might, and start moving forward again" he said.

"What I'm living for?" Byleth said softly.

"What will you do now, Byleth? What must you do?" Dimitri asked "Look deep in your heart and I'm certain you'll find the answer there... indelible and inescapable" he said "I've probably bothered you enough today, but I have just one more thought to leave you with" Dimitri said "Seteth is gathering the knights to begin a full scale search for the enemy" he said "It may not be right away, but before long they will find their trail" he added. "No matter what happens or what anyone may say, know that I plan to stay by you, Byleth. Through anything. Until the bitter end" Dimitri concluded and left Jeralt's office.

Byleth stood in silence for a moment, " Well did you search deep within yourself as he suggested? And did you find yourself some answers?" Sothis asked "This book is filled with secrets yet unknown" she said "Let's take it with us to protect it from prying eyes" she added. "Hmm? What is this?" Sothis said "Ah- it's the ring your Father wished for you to have" she said softly, "Come now let's go to the archbishop, before it gets any later" she added. "Wait, but I have figured out one thing" Sothis began "I know now why our fates are intertwined..." she said, and Byleth left to meet with Lady Rhea.

Byleth walked down the hall and entered into the Archbishops meeting rooms "Byleth, I have been waiting for you" Lady Rhea said "I am filled with grief at the possibility of the loss of our most celebrated knight" she added "Jeralt was an ally of many years... and also a dear friend" she said.

"When did you meet?" Byleth asked.

"It was a long while back, At the time Jeralt was a soldier of the Kingdom" Rhea said, "He was injured in battle, and I saved him just as he was about to perish. That was our first meeting" she said softly, "After that, he became a knight of Seiros. He gave his all in service of the church" she added.

"Why did he leave the knights?" Byleth asked.

Rhea hesitated for a moment "He... fell in love with one of the nuns here at Garreg Mach" she said "Their love produced a child... whom she died giving birth to" she said softly, "It was her decision. She weighed her own life against that of her child's and, in the end, implored me to save the child" Rhea sighed "Your Father... never truly accepted that decision. He took the child- took you- and disappeared without warning" she said sadly.

"Who was my Mother?" Byleth asked.

"Your mother... she was my..." Rhea began "Daughter" she added softly.

As Lady Rhea told Byleth that, Alois barged into the room. "Sorry for the interruption, Lady Rhea. There's something you need to hear immediately" Alois said with an urgent tone "A report from the knights patrolling the area..." he added.

"Very well. Byleth, you are dismissed for the day" Lady Rhea sighed "Please rest and focus only on mending your heart, understood?" she said, Byleth nodded, then left from the meeting.

Byleth wasn't really sure where she was going, all she knew was she wanted to leave from the views of those around the monastery who were looking at her with pity in their eyes. They had already jumped to the conclusion that Jeralt would die.

"Byleth you need to prepare for that as well" Sothis said "We do not yet know if Jeralt's fate is sealed" she added.

Byleth sighed "I know Sothis, but..." she said "How could I prepare for that" she added.

Sothis sighed "Hmm?"she said "Look over there, it's the Prince" she added. "What are you doing at this hour? Ooh, I know... you are eavesdropping! I must admit that I approve" Sothis laughed.

Byleth approached where Dimitri was hiding, "Byleth? We must remain quiet..." he said.

"I see the Flame Emperor and Monica... and the mage who rescued Monica" Sothis whispered

"What is that guy's name?" Byleth whispered.

"I don't know, but if we keep listening we might be able to find out" Dimitri said.

"An unexpected plan to hear their plans. Patience, patience!" Sothis said.

"Oh thank you. You saved me!" Monica said happily to the mage, Byleth felt her stomach churning in anger.

"If you were to die, then the mystery of our bodies would be revealed. Preventing that was my only aim" The mage said "I'm afraid you must remain, Kronya. There is something I need you to do" he added.

"Oh, of course. I am always happy to cooperate with Solon. Leave it to me" Monica said.

"How annoying" The Flame Emperor growled.

"Flame Emperor... Is she offending you? Unfortunately, we cannot take our eyes off her, so there is nothing to be done" The mage said "You are our greatest creation. We used the defiled beast's blood as the fuel to your flame, that you may burn even the gods" he said "Now is the time to cleanse Fodlan with that power, and bring forth our salvation" he added.

"There will be no salvation for you and your kind" The Flame Emperor hissed "Those responsible for such gruesome deeds in Duscar and Enbarr" Flame Emperor added.

"All so that you may acquire the strength you need. All for a purpose..." The mage said.

"I've got you... finally..." Dimitri whispered.

"Wait" Byleth whispered to Dimitri.

"If we don't act now, we'll miss our chance!" Dimitri said, The Flame Emperor turned around at the sound of his voice and threw a blade in their direction.

"Hmph. Even if someone has overheard us, there is nothing they can do. There have always been rats in the walls, and there will always be" The mage said, then the three of them warped away.

"No... The Dagger..." Dimitri said.

"What about the dagger?" Byleth asked.

"It... no. Never mind. It couldn't possibly be so" Dimitri said hesitantly

"Byleth, those are the ones we must destroy. They're the bastards who killed my family, and attempted to kill Jeralt" Dimitri said, he sighed "For now, let's return to the monastery and regroup. As for the Flame Emperor's dagger... I'll hold onto it for the time being" he said.

Byleth nodded and the two of them headed back to the monastery. Once in Byleth's room she laid down thinking about all that had happened, and faced the fact that Jeralt might not be strong enough to survive.

"Byleth if you must cry, do so but know that I am here for you whenever you need it" Sothis said "You are not alone" she added.

"Thank you Sothis" Byleth muttered, as she felt the hot tears streaming down her face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 35 5
In order to escape, Byleth made a deal with the Goddess Sothis. As a result, Jeralt was avenged but at what price did she pay? Before Dimitri's eyes...
5.9K 429 65
In a continent plagued with inner conflict, unfortunate struggles, and an imbalance of power, Fódlan resides in a state of unsuspecting threat. Howev...
39.8K 1.6K 110
Imperial year 1159 a nun of Garreg Mach monastery dies mysteriously during child birth leaving behind her beloved daughter Byleth. In a turn of event...
957 15 35
A Fire Emblem Three Houses high school vampire AU. Byleth is used to her father's job causing them to move suddenly, and has to start her senior year...